Chp. 3: In the Caves of Chaos!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chp. 3: In the Caves of Chaos!

#1 Post by Grognardsw »

The door swings open. Foracor and the others peer down the corridor. A lit brazier casts fitful light. What is that 50’ down? A shadowy shape?

Actions!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chp. 3: In the Caves of Chaos!

#2 Post by Zhym »

Boddin readies his bow and aims it at the figure, but does not fire unless and until he is certain it is hostile.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Dizlexus »

For Foracor sake.

Can Foracor tell if that creature (figure) is warm blooded?
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Grognardsw »

The light from the brazier spoils infravision. The shadowy shape rounds a slight southern bend at about 60’ and is now out of sight.

Actions?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zhym »

Boddin watches the shape disappear around the corner. "'Never go chasing after strange figures in the dark,' my Mam always told me. Except she said, 'strange women,' and my Pappy would always answer, 'Where would Boddin be if I'd followed that advice?' Then they'd both laugh."

"We should be cautious. Fingal, do you want to don the ring again and scout ahead, or should I?"

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Dizlexus »

Fingal

To Boddin:

I used the ring already today. If you lead, I'll follow far enough behind not to make a noise. I'll be there if you need me.

Bill, what are the specs on the ring? If Boddin needs the ring that is cool too -- I understand it is his.

"No fear of that,"
BTW: That is funny -- it appears below.
Last edited by Dizlexus on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
All GMs are evil.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Dizlexus »

Foracor

You guys be careful. Report what you see. Don't be heroes.
All GMs are evil.

Eulalios

#8 Post by Eulalios »

"No fear of that," mutters Niles, as he uses a rag to wipe sticky ichor from his elfsword.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Zhym »

"A hero?" answers Boddin as he retakes possession of the ring. "Goodness no! I'm not quite comfortable even being an adventurer yet, much less a hero!"

He slips the ring on his finger and scouts ahead as quietly as he can muster.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Grognardsw »

The invisible Boddin creeps quietly ahead around the bend. The hobbit sees the corridor widen out to about 15' with boulders on each side (see map.) The corridor continues 50' and splits south and west. The shadowy shape is at the end of the wide corridor, then Boddin sees it kneel behind a boulder. Boddin's infravision picks up bobbing heads here and there behind the boulders. One, two, three, four... more...Hard to tell with most hidden behind boulders. The hobbit realizes with some dismay that this is an ambush!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

Boddin stifles a yelp. "Oh! That's bad news! Best go relay it to the others!" he thinks as he slinks as quietly as he can muster back to the party. When he gets back, he quietly tells the others what he has seen.
Last edited by Zhym on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Albertus, Cleric, Caves***

"What is taking that little fellow so long? Hope he has not run into any problems." Waiting for Bobbins return, Albertus heads back to the open door of the communal goblin room and lightly shut it. "Better safe than sorry, I always say."

The-Dungeon-Shaker
Tracker
Tracker

#13 Post by The-Dungeon-Shaker »

Wulfhart Asgeirsson, fighter

"I fear our little friend might be in trouble. So much for discretion, the sneaky man has probably seen us anyway!"

That said, Wulfhart confidently walks to where Boddin went, sword at the ready. With a gesture, he invites the others to follow.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zhym »

Original message edited for clarity.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Dizlexus »

Foracor

Shakes his head at Wulfhart's boldness, but follows. Foracor has a pinch of sand in his fingers. He speaks out: We are aware of your ambush. Show yourselves or be slain.
All GMs are evil.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Albertus, Cleric, Caves At Ambush***

"Guys!" Albertus cries out. "Stop! I have a plan that might save us some pain." Looking at the others he begins. "I say we smoke those bastards out. First let's place rope trap around here," pointing at the bend in the tunnel," and secure it with iron spikes. Than we toss a couple of burning oil their way. Even if the fire does not reach them the smoke will. See here",pointing at the closed door leading to the goblin slaughter room, "with that door shut the smoke from the fire will be drawn down to tunnel chocking those sneaky snakes where they wait in ambush. If they charge us they will trip over the rope and land flat on their faces. Than we clean up the mess. What you say? Sounds better than just charging down there."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Grognardsw »

As Wulfhart and Foracor's actions have been stated, they can't be appreciably changed. Albertus went to shut the door, then noticed those two boldly moving ahead. One could surmise Boddin seeing the two coming (they wouldn't see him, being invisible.) Albertus could still do his plan, though comrades may be on the wrong side of it.

The chips will fall where they will. We'll wait for others actions.

OOC is a good place to hash out plans before action posting.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by MrHemlocks »

Albertus mumbles to himself. "Not my fault they go charging blindly into danger!"

No matter what the others will do, Albertus will carry out his plans. First securing the rope than tossing the oil.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by wolfpack »

Eli notches his bow and goes with the others

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Grognardsw »

Ambush!

Albertus gets to work setting a trap with rope and iron spikes. Fingal the thief helps him, while Zebcook the rescued prisoner looks on. Boddin the hobbit lurks invisibly somewhere close. Wulfhart of the north boldly advances, confident his sword and muscle can overcome the ambush. Niles the fighter, Foracor the Fleet, Eli the elf, and Brother Bayard join him. It is dark. Infravision reveals nothing, though you know the bastards are behind the boulders.

Foracor gives warning. “We are aware of your ambush. Show yourselves or be slain.”
In response a volley of arrows fly out from behind the boulders. “Duck!” someone yells. Wulfhart is hit in the thigh (5 HP damage), Foracor in the shoulder (8 HP), and Brother Bayard grazed (2 HP). A powerfully thrown spear hurtles toward the adventurers and strikes Niles in the ribs (7 HP.)

Actions!
- Goblins get initiative given arrows cocked for ambush and the distance
- goblin arrows, four [1d20] = 15, [1d20] = 5, [1d20] = 3, [1d20] = 20 First and fourth (critical) arrows hit. Damage below.
- goblin arrows, four, damage [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 4 5 on Wulfhart, 8 on Foracor
- goblin arrows, four [1d20] = 8, [1d20] = 11, [1d20] = 20, [1d20] = 10 Third arrow critical hit
- goblin arrows, four, damage [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 4 Third arrow 2 points (critical) on Bayard
- "Leader" spear [1d20] = 16, [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7
- HP:
Niles - fighter: 4/17 (3, 4 corridor monster. 5 from Ogrillon, 6 healed by Bayard,, 7 from spear)
Foracor (NPC) - elf: 4/12 (8 from goblin arrow)
Fingal - thief: 8/9 (1 corridor monster)
Bayard - cleric: 6/13 (8 corridor monster, CLW for 3, 2 goblin spear)
Boddin - hobbit: 11/11
Albertus - cleric: 7/9 (7 Owlbear, healed 5)
Eli - elf: 4/6 (2 corridor monster)
Wulfhart - fighter: 5/10 (5 goblin arrow)

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”