Out of Sight

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Out of Sight

#661 Post by ravenn4544 »

"well shit.. 2 weeks back to town to get some rope seems a last resort. Do we have enough rope and maybe some way of scaling the wall itself for them to get their assess back up here? Make a tree into a pole for them to climb up -- i don't know! this is why I prefer the woods - no stupid pits with rickety stairs that fall apart on you!"

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#662 Post by Argennian »

Vik gulps as he looks down again into the deep, dark depths of the stairwell chamber. "Wouldn't wanna be trying ta climb a wall in here if'n we don't absolutely has to! One little slip and see-ya later, old man Slater! Be a goner forever fer sure! I know us heading back ta town's gonna take some time but if'n we gets in a rush and something goes wrong, we could become permanent pieces o' this bloody place!"

The young churl deputy continues to try and make the argument persuasive to get him and Cil off the stairs and back up with the others. "If we don't have enough rope to take down and still get back up that hole and outa here, let's use some cloaks tied together or something! If'n not everyone wants to go back to town and get more rope, I'll go!" :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#663 Post by rredmond »

Tub rolls his eyes. No one listens to me.... he thinks.
wolfpack wrote:slowly the party starts down the stairs. you spiral 25 feet down when suddenly the ancient rotting steps under cilians feet break away from the wall, tub who is several feet behind cil is also affected by the collapsing steps.
wolfpack wrote:the party now stands separated by 10' of empty space in the stairwell.
Taking his rope, giving the bitter end to Scy he tromps up the stairway to find a good anchor spot for it.

The spiral staircase isn't enclosed, is it? If not, when I spiral back up, can I look down and see Cil and Vik? If so, we can just drop a rope from the top of the stairs to them, otherwise 50' should be enough to spiral around and still reach across the gap to them.

Tub secures it as best he can. If he can't tie it to a door hinge or something, then he hammers it to the wood of the door, cringing as he mars his precious bit of rope.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#664 Post by wolfpack »

tub hammers the rope into the doorframe and tugs on it, all seems secure.

you lower it down and see it falls against the spiraling stairs about another 12 feet in front of cil and scy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#665 Post by rredmond »

Hold 'er steady boys! Tub calls down to them. He holds the rope at the top and beckons the rest of the party to come up and climb down. My nutty idea, I'll go down last, he shrugs.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#666 Post by zebediah »

Sergius grabs the rope and looks down, thinking of whether there are death mongers or other horrors waiting for them, then starts climbing down.

Rhonon
Tracker
Tracker

#667 Post by Rhonon »

Os climbs down aswell, when Serg is down.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#668 Post by wolfpack »

everyone climbing down the rope past the stairbreak needs to make a strength check (subtract 3 from your roll)

Rhonon
Tracker
Tracker

#669 Post by Rhonon »

:o dahhhhh...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#670 Post by ravenn4544 »

Scy utters, "so what happens when we all get down there -- we have any more rope to take with us when the next bit of stairs come crashing down?... i have a bad feeling about..."

[1d20] = 5 (Str=17)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#671 Post by Argennian »

When Vik realizes he will not be seeing the sky and breathing the safe, refreshing outside air anytime soon, he closes his eyes and tries to swallow the lump of dread and feeling of impending doom that's dragging its nails across the chalkboard of his troubled subconsciousness. He takes a deep breath and tries to act brave like his older brother was. Before he was thrown in prison anyways...

ravenn4544 wrote:Scy utters, "so what happens when we all get down there -- we have any more rope to take with us when the next bit of stairs come crashing down?... i have a bad feeling about..."
"Guess we's about ta find out then, yeah?" the nervous-looking churl deputy replies.

He begins heading down the stairs again to make room for those climbing down the rope. He'll use the same method of descent that he did earlier: trying each step with one foot first to be sure it isn't overly loose. He'll keep his eyes peeled for any obvious traps or tripwires but regardless, will stop every three and commit to a closer scrutinizing.

OOC: (A Falling) Death or Glory!! :P
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#672 Post by Alethan »

Rhonon wrote::o dahhhhh...
For ability checks, you want to roll your ability score or LESS. So you are all good. In fact, with a -3 modifier and an 18 STR, the only way you could have failed it was with a Nat20 roll.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Rhonon
Tracker
Tracker

#673 Post by Rhonon »

Alethan wrote:
Rhonon wrote::o dahhhhh...
For ability checks, you want to roll your ability score or LESS. So you are all good. In fact, with a -3 modifier and an 18 STR, the only way you could have failed it was with a Nat20 roll.
Makes sense...I should go to bed... ;)

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#674 Post by ravenn4544 »

Scy follows Vik's actions by making as sure as he can that the step he treads upon is safe. He will continually to also seek hand holds as he descends to protect against falling stairs ... or from bodies above.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#675 Post by zebediah »

wolfpack wrote:everyone climbing down the rope past the stairbreak needs to make a strength check (subtract 3 from your roll)
[1d20] = 10

Serg's STR is 16.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#676 Post by wolfpack »

Jut need tubs roll, you can use your climb walls instead of the strength check if you want.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#677 Post by rredmond »

Actually against my STR is a wee bit better of a chance:

[1d20] = 7
Whew!

Tub hand over hands his way down the rope. That was easy! Going to hurt me to leave that rope behind, tell you what, but if we hit another snag like that, then we know it wasn't meant to be and we have to hightail it back.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#678 Post by wolfpack »

Everyone manages to rappel down the rope onto a section of stairs past the break. What is the new marching order?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#679 Post by Alethan »

"Someone light on their feet should go first to make sure there aren't any more bad sections of the stair between here and the bottom,"Cilian suggests.

"I don't mind doing it. Tub might be more suited to spotting anything 'trappy', though."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#680 Post by rredmond »

Tub grumbles and moans a bit but will take the lead.
SOP will be to check every stair and the wall next to it for safety and anything hidden before stepping on it.

Return to “Aroth”