2-Down the well, into UnderMountain (first trip)

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 2-Down the well, into UnderMountain (first trip)

#21 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage

Tella will mark the floor here with both the chalk and wax with an arrow pointing back to where they came from. Looking to the north: Aye, something wicked there. Maybe we take a look?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by Darkmane »

The light spell helps to reduce the visibility problems related to the shadows. You wait a while, listening for more noise or warning of an attack, but the dungeon is fairly quiet. Off in the distance you can hear non-specific noises, impossible to discern or identify.

After investigating the layout of the room relative to how you came into the dungeon, Thorax is fairly sure you guys had it wrong and switched north and south. If he is right the goblin fled north and the cracking noises came from the south.

There is another hallway leading west out of the room of pillars, it once was lined with mirrors, maybe 40-50 full length mirrors in total. However somebody smashed most of them, and now the floor is lined with reflecting shards of glass. The reflections from the light spell carry quite a way down this hallway. It's at least 50 feet Long and maybe double that.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#23 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"I'm thinkin that maybe the west hallway is a wise choice what say you all?" Glimble asks so as not to lead them to do as he wants all the time. ;) Glimble scratches his nose again while waiting and then picks back up his lantern.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf Mage

West is as good a direction as any. Let's give it a try.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by ylinett »

West, so be it.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by Darkmane »

With Glimble and his lantern in the lead, and Thorax directly behind him, you head forth into the Hall of Broken Mirrors. There were a ton of mirrors on the walls, but somebody broke them, and as you enter the hallway, you figure out why. Behind some of the mirrors were niches, and somebody must have looted them. You notice disturbed dust and cobwebs in those areas.

Each step in this hall has a few of you grimacing as the glass crackles loudly under your feet, and you can imagine, the Gods know what, out there in the dungeon, listening to your every step. However, on the bright side, if a band of goblins tries sneaking up behind you, you'll hear them a long way off.

Wehn you get toward the end of the hallway, something disturbing happens. Inside some of the larger mirror shards, your reflections start to make movements that you aren't making, it almost looks like they are trying to push or jump out of the mirror at you! They have looks of hatred on their faces, screaming out silent curses, with demonic intent, but in complete silence.

Pushing as fast as you can through that, you reach the end of the Hall of Mirrors. It ends into a corridor heading north and south. To the north, it quickly wraps backward heading east from where you came.

The southerly route heads out beyond your lanter light, but there are three branching paths off this hallway. The first path heads west again, the next two head east. That's as far as you can see for now.

-actions PC's-

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by ylinett »

Thorax suggests we keep going west, just in case we need to run always going the same way will make it easier.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by Darkmane »

After coming to the dead-end at the end of the Hall of Broken Mirrors, Thorax suggests continuing on West. You head south for ~30-40 feet or so, and the first passage off the southern route heads West. However, not 10 feet down that passage to the West is an inky, almost shiny and reflective, curtain of pure black rippling darkness. It is absolutely magical in nature.

If you were to continue down the southern passage, there are two more passageways within your lantern light, but both of those head back east! The southern passage continues on at least 70 or more feet, so there may be more exits from this corridor that your light can't yet see.

GreyWolfVT

#29 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"I do so hope Tella has been continuing to mark our path so we know whence we came." Glimble states as he tries to consider which route and also remembers the words Durnan had given them up in the tavern. "Do remember those words of wisdom from Durnan my fellows we should not venture too far at first I think we should head back to the east."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by ylinett »

"Agreed, let's head back." Says Thorax.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by Darkmane »

I figured things were getting pretty confusing from my explanations. Attached is a map of a small area of Undermountain.

Anyway, you guys are the black diamond, near the curtain of black magic, in a hallway running north and south. There are three different routes heading back to the east. Lets call them A, B, and C from north-most (above the hall of mirrors, location #2) to south-most which is several squares below you on the map.

There are also 2 unexplored routes heading, N and S, out of the Forest of Pillars room, location #1.

Hopefully this makes it a bit easier. 1 square is roughly 10'x10'

* I wish I was better at explaining myself, I think once I draw the map, it takes away from the mental image of what is going on... *
Attachments
Shrunk version, Undermountain, Lvl1, Map1
Shrunk version, Undermountain, Lvl1, Map1
Undermountain_Lvl1_Map1_shrunk.jpg (32.9 KiB) Viewed 312 times

GreyWolfVT

#32 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm not entirely sure as I see more than 3 ways from our current position. But I'm shooting for option B.Question is what one is A, B & C? Said B as it appears I think to be the one closest to the black diamond.
Attachments
Undermountain_Lvl1_Map1_shrunk.jpg
Undermountain_Lvl1_Map1_shrunk.jpg (99.35 KiB) Viewed 312 times

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#33 Post by Darkmane »

OK, nice arrows! Using your arrows for reference, arrow 1-5 from the north to the south. So Glimble is voting to go into the passage that is the third arrow from the top, it's really close to where you are now (black diamond). If anybody seconds, I'll describe what's down that way.

GreyWolfVT

#34 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I made another edit and labeled all except the hallway we came in through.
Attachments
Undermountain_Lvl1_Map1_shrunk.jpg
Undermountain_Lvl1_Map1_shrunk.jpg (97.39 KiB) Viewed 310 times

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#35 Post by ylinett »

Agreed, that is the one I would have picked hoping it will meet back up with our prior location and "close the loop".

GreyWolfVT

#36 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"I'm thinking that it is possible one or more of these will lead back to the room I cast my light spell in. What do you all think is that a logical conclusion?" Glimble says almost as if it is more a thinking out loud than an actual question.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#37 Post by ylinett »

"Aye, that was my thought too. Also somewhere there is a goblin who owes me a bolt. I will except payment in trade..."

GreyWolfVT

#38 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"Good luck getting money out of a goblin, they are the most illogical beings aside from ogres." Glimble chuckles.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by ylinett »

"Money? Oh...you jest. Very good."

GreyWolfVT

#40 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble just smiles in reply.

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”