Ch 8 : The Diary of Lord Thraydin

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ch 8 : The Diary of Lord Thraydin

#81 Post by Rukellian »

Fezuul Lokvin will perform a knowledge check of his own, seeing if he can remember any of those names or the significance behind them.

[1d100] = 51 [1d20] = 2 [1d10] = 10 [1d8] = 5 [1d6] = 4 [1d4] = 1
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#82 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Haerin Strongarm will think about the names and see if he can remember any of them.

For the DM [1d100] = 13[1d20] = 16[1d10] = 6[1d8] = 4[1d6] = 2[1d4] = 1
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by wolfpack »

cobbler thinks back to all of the local stories and legends he has heard

[1d100] = 37[1d20] = 13[1d10] = 2[1d8] = 6[1d6] = 3[1d4] = 3

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#84 Post by grey_starr »

*Benson tries hard... to pay attention... *

Pour le DM: [1d20] = 9, [1d12] = 9, [1d10] = 3, [1d8] = 2, [1d6] = 3, [1d4] = 4
Grey Starr - Try my D&D name generators...

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#85 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Th-this sounds l-like what I saw in my visions..." breathes Agrim, and he nods for Talaseka to continue. "How d-do we find th-them? D-d-does it say?"

[1d100] = 99, [1d20] = 10, [1d10] = 6, [1d8] = 1, [1d6] = 5, [1d4] = 3

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#86 Post by Majik »

Gilnes nods and makes appropriate vocalizations, humm... and Oh, ahh. when Talaseka pauses to take breath or check if he is listening.

In response to her question, the dashingly handsome elf strikes a pose of sincere thought trying to recall any of those names or events, especially if the description of the symbol in the story matches the symbol he saw on the blue robed man.

For the DM: [1d100] = 2[1d20] = 4[1d10] = 10[1d8] = 6[1d6] = 5[1d4] = 3
Everyday I'm hustlin, everyday I'm hustlin
Everyday I'm, everyday I'm, everyday I'm hustlin

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#87 Post by Stonjuz »

Meanwhile, Nymman was appealing to the young men and women who were known to be club members. Many would not discuss the cult, but two women expressed their desires to cease their involvements. Nymman learned, through the women, that the falcon-woman and her three assistants were the only leaders. We were horrified to learn that every other member of the cult was under the age of twenty and their numbers being approximately seventy. The women also provided the date and time for the next cult ceremony.
We decided to spare the followers due to their youth and to focus on the falcon-woman and her three cohorts.
Alnousch Quevell and Mizaab Zalen debated long and hard about the falcon’s powers. They could come to no conclusions about whether her powers were the results of a spell, a magical item, or even natural ability. Their final decision was that Greyhawk would be safer if the woman were trapped in an eternal prison with no means of escape than if we killed her. By killing her there was a risk of her reforming or resurrecting, depending on what manner or school her magic was derived.
We built a plan with the goal of destroying her assistants and imprisoning the falconlady.
The mages went to work to plan their spell casting. I retired to rest and pray.
Four days later, after intense research and discussion, the mages were ready. They explained that the Falcon, as we come to call her, would be trapped in her own dimension, completely cut off the outside and absolutely alone. Using both of their powers, they could make certain that the prison would hold for all eternity. Although I understand little of arcane power, I trust them to be correct.

(for those who would know and did not fail the memory roll)
Quevell is the true name of none other than Cluemiester.
At least two more posts involving the diary box text :roll:

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc Temugen

Branc begins to suspect why his staff was a target of the earlier attack . . .

He lets the paladin continue her reading before interrupting with any questions.

Branc: [1d6] = 4, [1d8] = 7, [1d10] = 1, [1d20] = 4, [1d100] = 12
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

GreyWolfVT

#89 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Haerin Strongarm just listens with interest as the reading continues.

[1d100] = 10[1d20] = 2[1d10] = 10[1d8] = 3[1d6] = 1[1d4] = 4
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#90 Post by grey_starr »

*Benson perks at the thought of the Cluemiester ... performer of "safe" magic*

[1d20] = 3, [1d12] = 1, [1d10] = 5, [1d8] = 2, [1d6] = 2, [1d4] = 2

OOC: Ref read for refresher ppl LINK

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#91 Post by Majik »

Continuing to nod and makes appropriate vocalizations, humm... and Oh, when Talaseka pauses, Gilnes is listening when not admiring the lady.

For the DM: [1d100] = 26[1d20] = 12[1d10] = 10[1d8] = 5[1d6] = 4[1d4] = 3
Last edited by Majik on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#92 Post by Stonjuz »

Talaseka continues ....

We arrived at the chamber near the time that the ceremony was to begin.
We slipped inside invisibly and waited for the moment to strike.
When everyone was assembled in the main chamber, a falcon flew into the room and instantly transformed into the woman who had been described to us earlier.
After just a moment, we put our plan to work. The mages prepared to cast their spell, and I began to creep toward the front of the chamber. I waited for them to begin casting and stood ready to fight her assistants.
Suddenly, a shimmering globe appeared around the woman. She opened her mouth to scream, but no sound was heard. A cloud began to form at her feet, growing ever larger. Her assistants moved to help her, but I rushed at them to prevent their interference. Some of her followers screamed, others threw themselves to the floor for protection.
The cloud at the Falcon’s feet had risen up to her waist, and now lightning crackled inside the cloud. The woman writhed in anger and in pain, then began to transform once again. A hole began to open in the cloud, beneath her feet, and she began to sink. I could see that the magic of my friends was working, but I had not anticipated the sight that now stood before me. The woman’s body transformed into an enormous snake, but her head remained. The body writhed frantically but could not break free of the spells that now held it.

She stops again to catch a breath and gaze around to see your surprised looks.

GreyWolfVT

#93 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Strongarm just looks grossed out by the thought of a snake with a womans head.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Rukellian »

The doctor is unsure as to what to currently make of this new information. The events sound incredible, like a work of fiction. He has been out of the loop of certain circles, for sure, perhaps some of this information is related such practices? Fezuul thinks on this some more as he continues to listen.

[1d100] = 86 [1d20] = 3 [1d10] = 1 [1d8] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d4] = 1
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#95 Post by Majik »

Gilnes raises an eyebrow as the Lady mentions a snake-lady. "O brave new world, that has such people in't! the dashing one says.

A sigh accompanies a determined and resolved nod.

For the DM: [1d100] = 100[1d20] = 14[1d10] = 3[1d8] = 1[1d6] = 1[1d4] = 2

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by Stonjuz »

She stands and reads further ....

As I battled her assistants, I could see her form continue to sink into the cloud. My battle was easy, for her men were not trained to fight and wore little protection.
Finally the snake-like woman sank completely from view and the cloud closed the hole above her head. The last swirls of mist seemed to sink into the floor after her, then it was over. The snake-thing was trapped. Her assistants were dead. Elliman soon managed to control all of the young followers, who now stood in shock. Elliman spoke eloquently and informed the followers that they were no longer victims of this woman’s evil. They would do best to forget what had happened if that was possible and to go on with their lives.

We gathered the robes, hoods and candles, along with the bodies of the dead cultists, and all other objects of evil, and made a heap in the center of the floor. Some of the followers assisted us, obviously relieved to be free of the Falcon's evil. Others left quietly.
We set fire to the pile and watched it burn, then began evacuating the cult members. This was not difficult because the foul odor was more than any of us could tolerate.
After all had been evacuated, we returned to the chamber to see the fire had died to a smoldering pile of glowing embers. Satisfied that we had conquered this small part of Iuz's evil, we returned to the main temple.

Talaseka pauses once again while she reads silently as if to determine there be more of relevance on the matter, and soon relates the rest.

As we discussed the events of the battle, I learned that the mages were as surprised by the woman's transformation as I was. They admitted they had not expected this, but they felt certain that their magic would still hold her. This led them to believe, however, that her ability to change was natural and not the result of spell or magic item.
I cannot help feeling uneasy however. Although I trust my colleagues fully, I do not understand enough of the arcane arts to feel confident that the Falcon is trapped for all eternity. I have recorded this account of our battle in order to advise any who may face her again. If she escapes, she will surely return to seek revenge on this city and those who trapped her.

Again, standing before you all, she reads silently.....and scans the words faster, flips the page back and forth as if expecting more.
Then she closes the book.
"Hmmm."

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#97 Post by Majik »

Gilnes shakes his head, "Of all the people listed in the diary, are any still alive to give us more information? Friend... or foe? We could do with more on whatever a snake-lady is. My guess is that she has been freed ... or more likely , someone is trying to free her."

For the DM: [1d100] = 22[1d20] = 3[1d10] = 8[1d8] = 3[1d6] = 1[1d4] = 1

GreyWolfVT

#98 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"Gilnes I think that is the most likely conclusion, at least it makes sense to me." Strongarm agrees with Gilnes, shaking his head in a nod of agreement as he speaks.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#99 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Agrim moves his mouth as if to remove a nasty taste from his mouth. "Th-then it is th-this sn-snake woman we l-look for? She it was whose magics aged you, L-Lady T-Talaseka?" The half-orc waits for confirmation and looks around at his companions to see their reactions, wondering what is to be done next.

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#100 Post by grey_starr »

*Benson tries in his mind to see if there is anything he can take from what he knows and what has been read, so as to add something useful to the discussion*

[1d20] = 8, [1d12] = 9, [1d10] = 9, [1d8] = 6, [1d6] = 2, [1d4] = 3 Thank the God's these rolls have not been for combat!

Return to “The Inn of the Unseen Servant - Greyhawk 2.5e”