At the Fist

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: At the Fist

#61 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin stops his pacing. I will seek out the Maester to see if he can aid our paralysis dilemma. If he knows of something that could aid us then I would favor entering the underground through the doors above. The underwater entrance is a frightening option.

He will wait a moment to see if anyone either objects or offers to join him before setting off to find the Maester.

Eulalios

#62 Post by Eulalios »

"I hope it is not too late to ask this question: presuming we win to the root of this evil, do we know how to pull it? Or is this more of yet another research expedition? I was tasked by the High Council to raze the Steading, but that taking is vexingly vague as to the how?"

Has Lorath seen the smoke tentacles?

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#63 Post by Magnus »

No, Lorath has not.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

Antheris scoffs at the words showing doubt in the power of the Insect Plague.
"Well, I will likely keep the Plague available, but would those of you who doubt its power perhaps like to see it now? Someplace outside where you could watch from afar, of course. I promise you it is no parlor trick.

"We could always summon a ring of fire that would let us walk through the plague while it persists in the dungeon. We can look for prisoners and then bring the plague on our way out.

"But more importantly, it seems we have two goals that diverge: Should we first look for captives to free and information about what the Hornfoots have done to summon this evil, or should we simply foray against the evil itself?"

Magnus: would you allow Wall of Fire in ring configuration to protect those within it from an Insect Plague?
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by saalaria »

"I think we need to do both friend Vorsyin but the primary goal has to be the defeat of the evil - it is the greater threat to the world. I think the best course is to go in through one of the doors."
He pauses for a minute and scratches his head in thought.
"If we can tempt the undead out first so much the better - easier to deal with them in the open. Would having several levitate spells precast, thus forming a missile corps, be fanciful or workable?"

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by Magnus »

NJWilliam wrote:
Magnus: would you allow Wall of Fire in ring configuration to protect those within it from an Insect Plague?
yes, of course insects cannot fly through fire. It will kill the insects within range.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by drpete »

Seeing that we're still bouncing ideas around, Ethan tries to introduce some structure to the conversation.
"Guys, these are interesting ideas, but please... Let's settle at last on what our goal for the trip is before we get bogged down in tactics. At the steading, we think there are prisoners, and we know there is an "evil". There are also some number of hornfeet and maybe giants. I think our goal is to locate any prisoners, and to identify the evil. Of possible, destroy it, but definitely find out what form it takes, so we can figure put how to destroy it. If we can take the territory, that's great, too. If the sword and shield are there, we want to get them back."

"Our goal requires us to see in there. Wizard eye may help, locate may help. Ways to get past the defenders may help, but we aren't ready to destroy everything in there, and our goal isn't met if we don't go inside. Maybe we want to go in the door near the cells, to check for prisoners, to at least clear the objection to the insect option? Maybe we want to go for the evil, which seems like it's near the smoke monster door. I don't know, either could be good. Can we work to seal all the entrances we know of, to prevent the scouting, and the ambushes? Then, at least, we'd control the tempo. Do we have a way to "dispel" am evil presence? What would that take?"
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Zhym »

"I'm not sure I've ever said this before," says Gaerys with a grin, "but I agree with Ethan. Our ultimate goal is to eradicate the evil under the steading, yes. But to do that, we need to know what it is and where it is. The prisoners are a higher short-term priority as we try to locate the source of evil.

"I don't care which door we enter. The west door has the advantage that we know where it leads. If I had to choose, I'd go with that one, but only after as much scrying, scouting, and preparation as we can manage."

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

Antheris is visibly shocked at the ranger and leaper agreeing.
He pauses , and then obviously has a moment of epiphany.
Opening his haversack he fishes out a firkin of ale, followed by his stoneshaped goblets.
Firkin on his shoulder, he pours goblets of ale and sets them down for all, saving a particularly perfectly poured one for himself.
Satisfied, he sets the firkin down and takes a seat on it.

"Once you've finished your ale, raise your hand for who says we enter through the stairs where we rescued Lorath.
"Once we know where we're starting, then let's discuss what we will do after."
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys lifts a goblet of ale and downs it. "I'm for the stairs where we rescued Lorath," he agrees,

"I would prefer to do whatever we can to suss out what's down there before we venture in. Except for our first venture into the Steading, we have blundered into battles instead of choosing them. Partly, of course, through my own fault. I would change that if at all possible. The blundering, that is."

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#71 Post by Todd Spengo »

Tybalt takes the offered goblet and drains it. "I will, of course, defer to the wisdom of the veterans, however, for myself, I prefer the way we know over the one that is unknown to us. I vote for the stairs."

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by Computer +1 »

Way to break out the drinks AFTER Vorsyin left!

Eulalios

#73 Post by Eulalios »

Lorath asks a question: "We have Tanner's map of below-ground, and it looks fair. Have we a map of the above ground part, that shows the two doors? From that, perhaps we can guess whether any passage connects the mines to the common horror that I expect is parent to the ghasts and the tentacles.

"Myself, were I in charge of the Steading, would never have permitted access by hungry ghasts to my slaves. And as a prisoner, I never saw them. Therefore, I doubt there is any way to get between those two doors, below-ground.
"

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

Antheris asks about at The Fist to secure as much holy water for the party as possible.
He also inquires with the blacksmith and commander about what silver, iron, and blunt weapons are available.
In addition to the healing spells, Antheris casts his long duration protection spells on himself and party members:

Day 7 - Protection from Fire (Antheris) (cast while on last foray)
Day 8 - Protection from Fire - Marcus; Protection from Fire - Lorath
Day 9 - Protection from Fire - Hollis; Protection from Fire - Niamah; Protection from Lightning - Antheris; Protection from Lightning - Niamah (assuming she will be scouting ahead at times)
Day 10 - None

If the party is NOT setting out on Day 10, he would cast more on Day 10, but otherwise is selecting other spells.

Changing his spell selection a bit:
1: detect magic, faerie fire x 2, invisibility to animals x 2, produce flame, speak with animals
2: charm person or mammal, CLW x 2, heat metal, obscurement
3: neutralize poison, summon insects x 2
4: dispel magic, control temperature 10' r. (CSW if someone else is taking Dispel Magic)
5: transmute rock to mud
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by Computer +1 »

First Antheris cracks open the drinks when Vorsyin leaves and now he places protection from fire on everyone else but Vorsyin.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

WHY DO YOU HATE ME

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#76 Post by NJWilliam »

Computer +1 wrote:First Antheris cracks open the drinks when Vorsyin leaves and now he places protection from fire on everyone else but Vorsyin.

WHY DO YOU HATE ME
LOL - Just went in HP order from low to high, Hollis has 2 more HP than Vorsyin, but V has better saves and Hollis is a healer. And the ale is there, V just needs to catch up.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by Magnus »

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 9
Time: 18:30
Weather: 40 degrees; cloudy

The warm, golden light of the sunset casts a comforting hue over the camp. The party's strategic and tactical discussions continue, enhanced by Antheris's potent brew and punctuated by some laughter. The party's high spirits contrast sharply with the grim mission to be undertaken on the morrow. It is truly the calm before the storm.

Vorsyin leave the group to conduct business in camp.

Vorsyin reaches the Maester. He finds the Maester standing next to a tall, thin woman with icy blue eyes that stand out against her white blonde hair and fair complexion. The two of them are working with a curious beaker of some sort. The Maester smiles at the mage and says, Vorsyin, meet Niamah. She was called to us along with your fellows but, unfortunately, had some ...um...complications in her journey. I understand that she'll be joining you.

The mage then asks for a cure to ghast paralysis. The Maester nods and says:

Ah yes, I have such a thing that may work - I use it to treat the effects of the carrion worm. Apply it to the bare flesh and over the body of a paralyzed victim. I cannot give you everything that I have, but can spare enough for two applications.

The Maester then hands Vorsyin a container containing the two doses of the salve.

ADD 2 SALVES AGAINST PARALYSIS
(takes 5 rounds to apply and must be applied to bare flesh)

Antheris, after having cast a slew of protective magics on the party, leaves the group for the camp armorer and commander. The druid sees that there are numerous iron and blunt weapons for the taking, and three silver daggers available as well. The druid, unfortunately, finds that the Maester does not stock holy water "Shouldn't your priest be able to create it..." and has but one healing potion to spare "I am responsible for the well-being of the entirety of our forces; we cannot expend all of our resources on those most able to help themselves."

ADD POTION OF HEALING

The sun dropping ever-lower in the sky, it would seem time for the party to settle on a final plan for the next day and conduct any final business in camp.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by saalaria »

NJWilliam wrote:Antheris

Antheris asks about at The Fist to secure as much holy water for the party as possible.
He also inquires with the blacksmith and commander about what silver, iron, and blunt weapons are available.
In addition to the healing spells, Antheris casts his long duration protection spells on himself and party members:

Day 7 - Protection from Fire (Antheris) (cast while on last foray)
Day 8 - Protection from Fire - Marcus; Protection from Fire - Lorath
Day 9 - Protection from Fire - Hollis; Protection from Fire - Niamah; Protection from Lightning - Antheris; Protection from Lightning - Niamah (assuming she will be scouting ahead at times)
Day 10 - None

If the party is NOT setting out on Day 10, he would cast more on Day 10, but otherwise is selecting other spells.

Changing his spell selection a bit:
1: detect magic, faerie fire x 2, invisibility to animals x 2, produce flame, speak with animals
2: charm person or mammal, CLW x 2, heat metal, obscurement
3: neutralize poison, summon insects x 2
4: dispel magic, control temperature 10' r. (CSW if someone else is taking Dispel Magic)
5: transmute rock to mud
Yes Hollis is taking Dispel Magic

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by drpete »

Ethan enjoys the relaxed, friendly atmosphere, drinks with the group, taking in the suggestions, then tries to summarize...

"Alright, I'm in favor of the plan I see developing. We go to the stairs that lead to the prison. We send down a scout, hidden with the cloak and boots. The scout looks for prisoners, and to see if they can see into the secret area that Nosra and the manticores came from. The scout comes back, and tells us what they know. We then go in, hard, and secure at least those areas... Hopefully including two stairwells."

"If the evil isn't there, I'd guess it's where our map says there are "strange things"... We should watch for trouble coming from that direction, I think. Are we good to go?
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#80 Post by Todd Spengo »

Tybalt is ready to go.

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”