The Raven's and Permafrost's start

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Raven's and Permafrost's start

#1 Post by Rukellian »

A light snow fall covers the area of the woods that The Raven is currently at. He looks up towards the sky, watching the snowflakes of ornate design drift slowly from the clouds above. Try as he might, he still cannot seem to recall anything of his past, nor why he woke up in this area. Having satisfied himself with some foraged foods, he builds up enough courage to once again return to the site he woke up at.

A run down site, half buried by snow, half concealed naturally within the Cliffside, the gaping hole that he crawled out of starts to give him the shivers again. It wasn’t the cold that made him shiver, but the horrors that he has witnessed inside. What happened in there, why was he there in the first place, so many questions that he needed answered, but not exactly sure how he was going to go about it all.

As he slowly drew closer to the site in question, he noticed a shimmering figure approach from the opposite side of the forested area, just outside the clearing surrounding the site’s entrance. Bright blue in color, with snowflakes floating circles around her figure, she seemed… otherworldly, yet entrancing to the eyes. She too looked towards the Cliffside opening, a look of curiosity on her face. Did she also escape the place like The Raven had, or was she here for something else?

Standing just within the shadows of the forested area, the winged man watched carefully.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Raven's and Permafrost's start

#2 Post by tooleychris »

A thin stream of ice seems to form between her feet and the deep snow. She glides across the surface of the drift without penetrating its fluffy surface. She seems exhilarated by the cold. The wind has no bite on her crystalline skin.
Seeing the hole, she turns in that direction.
has Elsa seen the winged man in the shadows?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rukellian »

Monkey Wrench, go ahead and provide a percentile roll for your remain unseen in shadows skill. If its 20-59, you are hidden but can easily be spotted if you make noise. If its 60-99 you are completely hidden.

If tooley would be so inclined, an awareness check can also be made for Permafrost.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by tooleychris »

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by tooleychris »

So just to be clear, Permafrost just rolled a 3 and adjusts it by +20(awareness)? For a normal or easy success?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rukellian »

You automatically start off with 20 in awareness, a roll associated with a primary trait check will be 20 + your d% result. In this case, unless you use fortune points to adjust it, your score for this action will be 23.

For example, if The Raven rolls a 16 for his skill use, your Permafrost's awareness of 23 will spot him. If he rolled a 28 instead, he would be hidden and your awareness check would have failed. If both rolls were a success, based off of the master table results, then higher value will win.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rukellian »

tooleychris wrote:So just to be clear, Permafrost just rolled a 3 and adjusts it by +20(awareness)? For a normal or easy success?
Right. An easy success, but can be easily overturned by a better remain unseen roll on Raven's part.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by MonkeyWrench »

He stays within the shadows of the forest, watching this strange and almost, magical, person as she looks inward towards the place that He awoke from, the place that he can only fully describe as hell, although he is unsure as to how he knows what "hell" is, as he further thinks about how he knows what this word means his mind starts to reel and he falls to a knee, the sudden burst of noise from him made him stiffen his body against a tree as he remembers the person in the clearing, as he watches the person, her gaze scanning across him, his body tenses and he shallows his breathing. He is not yet ready for this person to know his existence.

Remain Unseen: [1d100] = 41

One of my skills is remain unseen, does that mean I get a plus of 20 to that as well?
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rukellian »

Because the act of concealing one's self was not based off of or drew from one of the primary starting traits, I could not say something like start with the rank value of such and such and add a +10 modifier due to your remain unseen skill; I only had your skill to work with in that case. None of your powers also lent any aid to his action, so all I could really do was draw up a quick master table for your skill and give you a few roll results to go off of.
MonkeyWrench wrote:Remain Unseen: [1d100] = 41

One of my skills is remain unseen, does that mean I get a plus of 20 to that as well?
Your roll of 41 fell within the same master table row as Permafrost's awareness check of 20 (20-59), so the higher of the two won. I'm not exactly sure where you are getting that plus 20 from...

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Rukellian wrote:Because the act of concealing one's self was not based off of or drew from one of the primary starting traits, I could not say something like start with the rank value of such and such and add a +10 modifier due to your remain unseen skill; I only had your skill to work with in that case. None of your powers also lent any aid to his action, so all I could really do was draw up a quick master table for your skill and give you a few roll results to go off of.
MonkeyWrench wrote:Remain Unseen: [1d100] = 41

Your roll of 41 fell within the same master table row as Permafrost's awareness check of 20 (20-59), so the higher of the two won. I'm not exactly sure where you are getting that plus 20 from...
I'm not exactly sure where I got it from either now that I look at the skills area for the character creation, only thing I found was A skill grants a +1 Row Step bonus so don't mind me, I'm just a crazy person :D
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by tooleychris »

either way Elsa is too intently concentrating on the cave to see your character. I think using awareness to remain hidden isn't a bad way to go.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rukellian »

Gazing into the half buried site, Elsa Permafrost darts her attention to the woods, thinking that she heard something.... nothing. Just the howling of the wind and fall of snow. Her attention now back towards the gaping darkness, she starts to descend into the cliffside. Most of the area is pitch dark, save the flickering of distant light over a doorway. As she draws closer to the light, she can make out that the floor is metallic in nature and that the door has been swung open and slightly frozen in place. A set of muddy footprints can be found rushing out of the door, still fresh in the splotches of snow nearby.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by MonkeyWrench »

As Raven watches the mysterious figure descend into the opening he quickly makes his way towards her, He makes his way to the opening, a shiver runs down his spine. He collects himself and then follows her in, making sure to only keep enough distance that he can see where she is going and possibly what she is doing but not close enough for her to hear him. As She stops to inspect the ground He leans into the wall, attempting to meld with the shadow as she works.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by tooleychris »

Seeing the muddy footprints, she goes back to the entrance. Now activily searching for anyone who may be alive. She wouldn't want anyone caught in the storm who may succumb to the cold.
Are the prints visible in the snow or windblown?

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by MonkeyWrench »

By entrance do you mean the entrance to the complex or are you walking backwards towards the opening? This could change everything!

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by tooleychris »

she is following the muddy footprints. If they lead out then, yeah. She's following them out. She doesn't figure someone would LEAVE the shelter unless their need was great. Raven would have seen her actions as she isn't attempting to hide. She feels this is HER domain. Very confident of her ability in the snow storm.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by MonkeyWrench »

As Raven watches from the shadows, leaning up against the wall, he notices the mysterious person start walking back towards the entrance, eyes still focused on the ground. As she walks forward, getting closer towards him he mind races, what will she do if she finds him? Is she from this place? is she an enemy? it seems as if a hundred questions races through his mind, if he tries to move out of the shadows and away from her he is bound to be seen and if he tries to stay within the shadows she will pass right by him and will more than likely spot him.

As she is focused on the ground, searching for something He grabs a rock nearby and he attempts to time his throw when she will not detect his movement and throw the rock near the door, hopefully fooling her into believing someone or something is still inside.

Skill Check: [1d100] = 60
Not sure if you want a roll for this but I did one anyway, basically throwing a rock into the complex without being detected.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rukellian »

Here is how I did this. Raven is attempting to divert Permafrost's attention away from him by secretly chucking a rock past the doorway into the site. He rolls a percentile roll of 60, a solid success. Next, I take a look at his Coordination Rank Value and determine how hard the object hit and how much noise it generated. The 40 resulted in a major success (see rank value percentile conversions in character creation for reference). Here is what happened.

As Permafrost starts to leave the site entrance, curious about the footprints she found, a loud thud can be heard from behind. She turns around and notices some dust, hovering just in front of the doorway. Something just moved over there.... (Raven remains hidden due to his success)
I took into consideration the private roll made and determined that such an awareness check would allow someone to hear that distinct noise from behind in the midst of the howling's of cold winds just outside.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by tooleychris »

Once Elsa gets free of the entrance she will circle a wide arc of ice up about 12 feet in the air and skate to its summit above the door, ready to defend herself.

"I will not hurt you." she calls above the winds. "If you are not my enemy, you have nothing to fear from me. Are you hurt?

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by MonkeyWrench »

As Raven watches from the darkness of the cavern he yells, making his voice echo before heading out, giving the illusion of his voice coming from all over. "I have no enemies or friends, So I am wary of all. Who are you and what are you doing in this place?"

Return to “Rebirth of Power: a 4c system game”