Action Thread 19

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 19

#101 Post by Argennian »

OOC: just looked at the profile image and oh crap! For some reason, I thought Shard's outer walls were 60 feet tall, not 20 feet! (That's correct, right??)

If so, we could actually just scale the outer wall in one of the far corners by the border to Zones 3 & 5 and forgo the tower completely!

Alethan wrote:... Cilian nods slowly, "I could make that climb, ...
OOC: I so wanted to just OCD-edit it to Till for you, but ... !! ;)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#102 Post by Alethan »

OOC: doh! Corrected.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by rredmond »

The towers are 60' but the walls are only 20' high and 20' wide. Set up for guards or whatever to walk on them.
Alethan wrote:OOC: doh! Corrected.
I bet you didn't sleep too well last night, Ethan. "There's a disturbance in the force..."
:D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Till nods slowly, "I could make that climb, secure a rope at the top and toss it down for the rest of you to climb. Might not be a bad idea to try and clear the outside tower first and secure the door down below. That should ensure our backside is fairly safe, at least for a while."
"I wouldn't want to fight them on two fronts either, Till," Yosef considers looking at their map. "If we could clear the tower first without alerting the others within the zone, that would be optimal. I guess we will not know how many goblins there are in the tower until we can get a look inside. Once we do, we can decide on how we proceed then. If some of us could get up a rope to that walkway, we could enter the tower simultaneously from two directions to surprise them. Just a thought...

"So when should we make our move? We could attempt a predawn sortie, before they change guard shifts and when they would be most tired. We will need some time to creep up on the tower along the base of the wall. What say you, friends?"

OOC: Ron, since we've had Zone 4 under intense scrutiny for awhile on multiple fronts, can we assume to know when the RSGs (Red Stone Goblins) change their guard shifts? :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote: OOC: Ron, since we've had Zone 4 under intense scrutiny for awhile on multiple fronts, can we assume to know when the RSGs (Red Stone Goblins) change their guard shifts? :)
Yup, shifts seem to start around dawn, and change about every 8 hours, give or take a few minutes. Melissa and Jeloon can both remind you that goblins are not the biggest fan of the sun, or light in general, which may be why it's set up that way.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Argennian »

Yosef is way more excited than an elf ought to be. Must have been all the time he spent with that blind old human he's always quoting.

He relights his pipe and takes a satisfactorily puff that makes him look up and smile at the others. "Pre-dawn sortie... Has a nice ring to it, does it not?"
rredmond wrote:
Argennian wrote: OOC: Ron, since we've had Zone 4 under intense scrutiny for awhile on multiple fronts, can we assume to know when the RSGs (Red Stone Goblins) change their guard shifts? :)
Yup, shifts seem to start around dawn, and change about every 8 hours, give or take a few minutes. Melissa and Jeloon can both remind you that goblins are not the biggest fan of the sun, or light in general, which may be why it's set up that way.
OOC: Roger that! 8-)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#107 Post by dmw71 »

"Me think me go lie down," Jeloon says.

"Want to be well-rested for --" she looks to Yosef, "-- what you call it? A sortie?"
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by rredmond »

Fast forward to tomorrow then gents?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#109 Post by Alethan »

Yessir, let's do that. Till doesn't have anything further to add until he's ready to climb.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by rredmond »

Cool beans, just didn't want to miss anything.

Day 22 – Waiting out the Goblins

Melissa's spies see nothing throughout the night. No impending return of the goblin warriors who left, and no changes in routine of the guards left at the goblin's zone.

The prisoner elf is deep in the compound, and doing poorly but still alive. It's dark when Melissa makes sure you are all awake well before dawn. As before you are all quite refreshed and ready to go.

The night is drawing toward's dawn. Reminder that the hirelings (including Van) are all human (and without a nifty magic helm) so would need a light source if they come along.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 13/13; Bruard - 19/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5 - Yosef, Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Bruard) continual light 60' radius; Torch, 50 minutes (Yosef), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#111 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Maybe we should secure the tower first and then bring them in there to keep it secure while we go to work on the goblins inside?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#112 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:OOC: Maybe we should secure the tower first and then bring them in there to keep it secure while we go to work on the goblins inside?
Now say that in character. ;)
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#113 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Well, the post originally began with some questions for Ron, but I deleted them before I saved. Guess I forgot to change it from an OOC to an IC post...

Till suggests securing the outer tower first and opening the bottom door for the hirelings, then have them hold the tower while the main party goes after the goblins inside.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:.
Day 22 – Waiting out the Goblins

Melissa's spies see nothing throughout the night. No impending return of the goblin warriors who left, and no changes in routine of the guards left at the goblin's zone.

The prisoner elf is deep in the compound, and doing poorly but still alive. It's dark when Melissa makes sure you are all awake well before dawn. As before you are all quite refreshed and ready to go.

The night is drawing toward's dawn. Reminder that the hirelings (including Van) are all human (and without a nifty magic helm) so would need a light source if they come along.
Yosef tries to put his growing curiosity and concern for the prisoner from his mind. He focuses instead on his martial and arcane assets, and prepares to deploy whichever of them will be needed, as often as needed.

As the party conducts last minute tactical discussions in the final moments before deployment, Yosef asks about Van and Eyman's role in the assault. "Should they move up with us or maintain a rearguard position in the dark at the intersection of Zones 4 & 5?

"They would need torches to see in the dark if we split up right now. Once in position, we could wait till the growing light of the predawn to make our move. Based on what we've observed of their shift changes, it should give us just enough time to dispatch the goblins in the tower and set up an ambush for those coming on duty...

OOC: Ron, was hoping not to stretch it too much but wondering if Yosef's time assessments above are close/doable? Was also thinking that Van and Eyman could at least creep around slowly and carefully in the dark with the party leading them? No actions other than slow 1/4 movement, of course... :)

Alethan wrote:Till suggests securing the outer tower first and opening the bottom door for the hirelings, then have them hold the tower while the main party goes after the goblins inside.
Yosef agrees with the plan. He suggests that once the party has moved into position that Till moves up for a more encompassing scrutinization of the tower, so that they know what they're up against. He's near silent where as the others are metal armored. If Till can get a count and position of the goblins inside the tower, the party can make & execute their plan.

"We would do well to take out as many of them as we can, as quickly and quietly as we can. If an alarm is raised, we can expect reinforcements from their compound. If that happens we will have to cover the bridge approach. I have just the thing in mind if that happens," the High elf claims as he thumbs the dead Rat King's former wand. He has it tucked strategically in a homemade holster where it won't slip out but be ready to draw quickly, if needed. Turns out he fashioned it when not writing excessively in his journal or dreaming about what's waiting for them inside Zone 9.

"I still have a charm person spell ready as well, along with my usual magic missile and the mirror image spell that I used when we fought the rat king. If I can cast that charm spell, I'll signal for quarter on the recipient until I'm sure it worked. Be nice to get the captain of their guard wouldn't it?"

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#115 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard nods in agreement as he listens to his compatriots and the plan.
Argennian wrote: "I still have a charm person spell ready as well, along with my usual magic missile and the mirror image spell that I used when we fought the rat king. If I can cast that charm spell, I'll signal for quarter on the recipient until I'm sure it worked. Be nice to get the captain of their guard wouldn't it?"
I also have hold person at the ready, which might be a good precursor Yosef's charm spell.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote:
OOC: Ron, was hoping not to stretch it too much but wondering if Yosef's time assessments above are close/doable? Was also thinking that Van and Eyman could at least creep around slowly and carefully in the dark with the party leading them? No actions other than slow 1/4 movement, of course... :)
They could creep along the wall. That would keep them out of trouble (using the wall as their guide) and out of infravision range.

Torches will be seen from miles away. :) And the tower guards, being guards, would think it suspicious that torches are headed their way in the pre-dawn dark.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:Bruard nods in agreement as he listens to his compatriots and the plan.
Argennian wrote: "I still have a charm person spell ready as well, along with my usual magic missile and the mirror image spell that I used when we fought the rat king. If I can cast that charm spell, I'll signal for quarter on the recipient until I'm sure it worked. Be nice to get the captain of their guard wouldn't it?"
I also have hold person at the ready, which might be a good precursor Yosef's charm spell.
Yosef smiles almost fiendishly at his clerical companion. "A prudent and most appealing option, friend Bruard!"

When the party deploys, Yosef will equip his bow and ready an arrow. Wherever they're going to hold and wait for Till to make his stealthy reconnoiter, the fighter/mage will keep his sharp elven eyes on the look out for goblins and be ready to provide cover fire.

rredmond wrote:
Argennian wrote:OOC: Ron, was hoping not to stretch it too much but wondering if Yosef's time assessments above are close/doable? Was also thinking that Van and Eyman could at least creep around slowly and carefully in the dark with the party leading them? No actions other than slow 1/4 movement, of course... :)
They could creep along the wall. That would keep them out of trouble (using the wall as their guide) and out of infravision range.

Torches will be seen from miles away. :) And the tower guards, being guards, would think it suspicious that torches are headed their way in the pre-dawn dark.
OOC: so noted! :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by rredmond »

Day 22 – Dawn Sortie

The party heads out, following the wall around to the tower. They come to where the elevated walkway meets the outer wall. This puts them about 150' from the tower. Van and Eyman have been okay being led in the darkness and using the outer wall as a guide.

At this point the party has somewhat quietly and safely (they believe) made it without being noticed. But now Till realizes that chainmail, while not that loud, still is pretty noisy. (and what is Bruard wearing, Splint?)

The outer wall can be climbed here, then you can get onto the elevated walkway and you can walk that bridge to the arched opening that leads into the outer tower. Or you can climb at the corner where the tower curves into the walkway. But that would entail getting closer to the tower.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 13/13; Bruard - 19/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5 - Yosef, Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Bruard) continual light 60' radius; Torch, 50 minutes (Yosef), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#119 Post by Alethan »

Till makes his decision of where to climb based on where he remembers seeing the patrol.

If they were closer to the tower, then he'll attempt to scale near the wall. If they were nearer the wall, then he scales the tower.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by rredmond »

Some not so great illustrations of the elevated walkway.

Here's the elevated walkway on the inside of the outer wall in the goblin compound. It has a nice easy slope down into the their lair under the rubble:
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (101.6 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
And the elevated walkway coming out of the arch of the outer tower, heading towards the outer wall which isn't in the picture. This one is probably the orc's tower. :)
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (110.38 KiB) Viewed 1388 times

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”