Action Thread 11

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 11

#1 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 7:25 a
Round 10

Wulfgard sets to speaking the prayers of healing and gets the ranger back to better than half hit points.

The Cleric and Illhalevar check out the earthen ware pots. All are smashed and it’s easy to sift through the soil to see there’s nothing else in there. They were built to constrain the roots, while still allowing water to get in, and they smashed when the trees toppled. It isn’t immediately evident as to why the trees started moving when they did.

The Druidess notes, and when she points it out the Ranger agrees, that these trees aren’t Ents, nor were they ever ends. They are twisted version of Ents, almost as if and Ent was crossed with something at the seed level, or experiments were done with a cutting of an Ent. It’s definitely continues the reek of the unnatural down here in this dungeon. It gives the little Druidess shivers, that something might have the power to play with nature like this, and yet warps it to vile and evil results.

Varkos watches up the passage, his warrior senses tingling, but astounded that nothing seems to be coming, even after all the racket and smoke of the battle. It makes him concerned, but in the quiet of the party checking out the room, there’s definitely no sight, nor sound of enemies approaching.

Al’Zur, also shaky after that battle, suggests that the party rest for a bit.

HPs have been updated. Nothing seems to be coming from any of the passages. To the west you still hear the fish mincer, to the east a distant waterfall.

HPs: Varkos - 7/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 5/7; SoT - 14/25; Wulfgard - 10/12; Zafalia - 11/11
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield;
MO (10’): Zafalia; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 48 minutes OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 20 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/1; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-1/4; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-1/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Action Thread 11

#2 Post by saalaria »

"So what do we do now? We can continue onwards but I fear I am feeling weak." the big man rumbles.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Argennian »

"I am not sure about Wulfgard, but I am out of healing spells," Zafalia declares, still shaking in both anger and awe of the evil tree sentinels they were forced to destroy.

"We could fall back and regroup in that cavern where we slew the shambling mound. Or we can continue forward. Although I want to press on, I am not injured. At least not physically. What say the rest of you?"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

"Varkos and Son of Thunder are in poor condition, from the look of them. Though we've only just broken camp an hour ago, we should seriously consider resting again to renew healing spells and tend their wounds," Ilhalevar says, after a moment of thought.

"I agree, the Shambling Mound room is probably the best bet."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zhym »

"I have indeed expended all my healing for the day," Wulfgard confirms. "I would welcome rest before we continue."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by tkrexx »

the Shambling Mound room is probably the best bet.
Having no desire to take rest in this chamber of twisted trees, the Ranger simply nods.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

Western passage out then?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Unless somebody objects, return to the young shambling mounds room and repeat previous resting period to recover healing spells.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Nuke66 »

"Yeah" Al'Zur agrees, "We should go back there. I will take a four hour watch shift as I do not need more rest."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:Western passage out then?
Alethan wrote:OOC: Unless somebody objects, return to the young shambling mounds room and repeat previous resting period to recover healing spells.
OOC: agreed!
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by saalaria »

Agreed - I think you can move us on Ron

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 7:30 a

The move to the shambling mound room, where your first friend perished, is quick and uneventful. The fungal pillars which once seemed alien and ominous, now, along with the small easily defended entrance, feel safe. The weakened fighters nod as they enter, realizing this isn't a bad room to defend in, and yet (as they found) terrible to attack.

It is quiet in the passages, except for the fish mincer which you did pass on your way here.

For natural healing you need 8 hours of uninterrupted rest for 1 HP. But for spell recovery, especially at this level, as long as they have 4 hours of uninterrupted rest you should be good to go. Now, this is a dungeon, and there are wandering monsters, but as semi-experienced adventurers you would have noted that there isn't too much wandering going on around these caverns. You aren't sure if you are lucky, or just on a level that's not too well traversed. Let me know what you want to do, it sounds like 4 hours of rest at least - anything else during or after that time?

HPs: Varkos - 7/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 5/7; SoT - 14/25; Wulfgard - 10/12; Zafalia - 11/11
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield;
MO (10’): Zafalia; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 48 minutes OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 20 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/1; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-1/4; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-1/3

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by Alethan »

If Ilhalevar needs to recover spells, she will rest. I honestly can't remember if she's used any since the last rest, which was just hours ago, but seems like ages... months and months. :lol:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zhym »

Wulfgard will rest for the full four hours then pray for spells.

Updated spell list: Bless, Command, Cure Light Wounds, Cure Light Wounds
Last edited by Zhym on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:If Ilhalevar needs to recover spells, she will rest. I honestly can't remember if she's used any since the last rest, which was just hours ago, but seems like ages... months and months. :lol:
I think only Wulf and Zafalia have used spells... of course now (if you aren't interrupted... rattle, rattle...) would be a good time to switch spells, which I'm cool with too.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Distorted Humor »

rredmond wrote:.

Day 2 – 7:30 a

The move to the shambling mound room, where your first friend perished, is quick and uneventful. The fungal pillars which once seemed alien and ominous, now, along with the small easily defended entrance, feel safe. The weakened fighters nod as they enter, realizing this isn't a bad room to defend in, and yet (as they found) terrible to attack.

It is quiet in the passages, except for the fish mincer which you did pass on your way here.

For natural healing you need 8 hours of uninterrupted rest for 1 HP. But for spell recovery, especially at this level, as long as they have 4 hours of uninterrupted rest you should be good to go. Now, this is a dungeon, and there are wandering monsters, but as semi-experienced adventurers you would have noted that there isn't too much wandering going on around these caverns. You aren't sure if you are lucky, or just on a level that's not too well traversed. Let me know what you want to do, it sounds like 4 hours of rest at least - anything else during or after that time?

Odo steps out of the shadows and says he will keep the first watch as the rest rest and recover.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia will find a spot within the chamber away from the entrance to get comfortable and settle down to rest. She asks the others to alert her if they see any more rats or other animals approaching.

The little druid will forgo her Produce Flame spell in place of another Cure light Wounds spell, figuring it more important to get her companions as close to full strength as she and Wulfgard can.

She'll share her thoughts with the cleric about that to see if he might want to do so as well. "Both Son of Thunder and Varkos are hurt badly, friend Wulfgard. They could probably use up all of our curative spells between the two of them. Plus you and Al'Zur are also injured, albeit not as badly. Something tells me that we'll need to be as strong as we can when we venture deeper into the bowels of this accursed place!"

OOC: Zaf will need 4 hours + 45 minutes to get those 3 CLW spells

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by tkrexx »

Son of Thunder jumps like a scared pup at Odo's appearance. Blast your eyes with lightning, you...You... Damn good to see you, Odo. Your watch is much welcome. He clutches his wounds just then, as the startle caused him considerable pain.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Zhym »

"There are more uses of divine power than healing," responds Wulfgard. "Five minor curing spells between us should heal most of our companions' wounds. At that point, let us try to prevent wounds as much as cure them. Although it might be a good idea to heal our companions and then rest again; even at full strength, I do not relish the idea of heading into battle with most of my divine powers already expended."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Argennian »

"Nor do I, friend. I meant no disrespect," Zaf opines with a shrug and nod of understanding for Wulfgard. The little halfling druidess definitely looks frazzled by that last encounter and it's clear that her adrenaline has not dumped off yet. She sets her spear and shield down and takes a few deep breaths to try and calm herself as everyone else gets settled in. She explains herself further as she puts out what's left of her last torch.

"Twas naught but a surge of the nervousness and insecurity on my part. I cannot help but feel it being forced upon me in this strange dungeon of twisted evil and floral nightmare! Like what we just encountered. Those trees were not warped Ents at all, as I had initially feared. Thank the Oerth Mother for that! They were experiments. Experiments in evil! It chills my blood to consider what else the foul masters of this underground place might have conjured!"

"We would indeed be well," she offers with a look of concern and a glance over at the coffin wherein their former associate and life-loving friend lies dead, "to be as cautious and ready as we can when we move to confront them! I swear to the Oerth Mother to avenge dear Malak!"

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”