[Game #2] Common Game Thread

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [Game #2] Common Game Thread

#21 Post by Pulpatoon »

Isolde, clock-watcher

Isolde walks with grace and dignity out of the tailors, shop, at which point she hitches up her dress and sprints to the provisioner, so that she might secure the best prices on her additional equipment while her charm is still in effect.

Ythgar
Tracker
Tracker

#22 Post by Ythgar »

Sarvane Ithrold

Replying to the young woman's question he says, "No I don't need his help, but I have heard that he needs some help himself, namely an enterprising group to find some ancient shrines." Sarvane will then turn back to his browsing, then ask her, "Would it be possible to set up a meeting with him later on in the day, as a couple friends and I are interested in this opportunity."

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by Landifarne »

"Why, certainly, Master Willim will see you if you and your friends come by later," the young woman replies. "He's currently tending to a patient, and will be seeing several others after that. However, if you care to come just before sundown, he'd be happy to see you then..."

"...but one normally introduces oneself before asking for an audience," she says, chastising the ranger.

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#24 Post by Landifarne »

Isolde bolts to the provisioner's shop, in a rush to get some proper footwear. Passing by a tidy dwelling, through the home's opened shutters she sees Sarvane inside, engaged in conversation with a young woman. Leaving the discussion to him, the witch makes a beeline towards the provisioner's, which she knows is directly across from the Tankard.

Once there, Isolde meets the provisioner, Luborn by name. Plying her charm on Luborn, she's frustrated a bit when her magical enhancement seems to fail to sway the man. She is able, however, to purchase the boots and turnshoes that the tailor recommended- given, they command a hefty price (28 pennies, more than a full month's work for a peasant). Isolde learns later that Luborn is called "Flyntskin" by most Highwolders.

Chatting the man up, Luborn offers to purchase her fur warmer, suggesting that she sell it for two silver pieces (the equivalent of forty pennies). Having purchased it herself in Ostgall for three times that amount, the witch is reluctant to part with it.

Learning that the woman's group may be looking for a guide, Luborn tells her that one Jonlin Oakesleaf could possibly answer any questions about travelling in the region, or if her company is in need of a guide. He also informs the witch that some of the mountain men, such as Jonlin, are able to tool some outer clothing if given enough time.

Thanking the man, and understanding that she will have to purchase some outerwear if their party will be scouring the local mountains, Isolde promises to speak with the provisioner later.

There aren't any armorers in Highwold, but some of the mountain men have anough tooling ability to fabricate the equivalent of crude leather armor if given a week's notice (and about 4 sp).

Ythgar
Tracker
Tracker

#25 Post by Ythgar »

Sarvane Ithrold

Seeing the young woman's annoyed response he replies, "My name is Sarvane Ithrold. Forgive my lack of manners, I've always spent too much time in the forest too remember common pleasantries." Once having finished his discussion with the young woman, Sarvane will head back to the Silver Tankard, to wait for the rest of the party and inform each person of the meeting with Willim at sunset, and listen to anything that they found out during their time in the town.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Pulpatoon »

Her shopping done and new boots on her feet, Isolde wanders back through the street in the direction of the shrine, looking for Finn.

Book-keeping: I traded the slippers for clothes, and got a few pennies out of the tailor. Spent 28 pennies at the provisioners. Total=24 or 25p?

Sulara
Tracker
Tracker

#27 Post by Sulara »

Finn

Striding back into the tankard Finn looks around the room hoping to see one of her companions, spotting Alex she walks over to his table"May I join you gentlemen?"

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#28 Post by Landifarne »

Isolde is down 22 pennies (the equivalent of 1sp and 2 cp), still retains her fur wrap and dress, and is scheduled to pick up her work clothes on the morrow.

Having purchased a number of drinks for the thirsty stirges across the room, Ryker picked up a number of tidbits of information. Likewise, Alex gained quite a bit of usefull intelligence from his new associate in the corner.

Waiting until Isolde and Sarvane return, the companions share what they've gleaned over a few jacks of ale:

-The smith's work is beyond poor and will likely weaken a fine blade.
-People ar beginning to suspect that something is off with some of the lord's mule handlers. Duralain's mule teams have never been attacked, but the handlers hire themselves out to merchant caravans on a regular basis...and those are hit fairly frequently.
-The brewer runs a brawlers' den. Once per month much of the community attends, making (more-or-less) friendly wagers on the outcomes. A decent fighter could make a few coins that way. The next set of bouts are two nights hence.
-There's war to the far south. Coming from Rifford, your party knew that- and parlayed what little you knew into some of the intelligence you've gathered.
-Clengall let it slip that Morlit the Sly (a ruthless bandit plying the Djorsalng Valley) is suspected of having ties with people in Rifford...and possibly in Highwold.
-Far flung homesteads have been hit by humanoid raiders of late.
-A goatsherd by the name of Ornald was struck by a ghoboldi arrow just three days before, near the Djorsalng Pass.
-It's rumored that the elven shrines hidden amongst the woods and hills possess abundant gold. Of course, no one has ever actually found such.
-Master Willim is seeking some strong lads to bring him information gleaned from any found shrines.
-Turgit tapped his nose to Ryker and said it's common knowledge that bandit Morlit has been occupying the abandoned (haunted) inn some seven leagues south, just east of the track to Rifford. The companions must have passed the thing without knowing of it.
-A stranger came into town about a week ago. He's being tended by Master Willim, and is rumored to be grievously injured.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Pulpatoon »

Not finding Finn on the street, Isolde returns to the tavern and joins her comrades there. She shares with them:

• Luborn the Flintskyn is a tough man to bargain with, and asks dear prices.

• Jonlin Oakesleaf is a mountain man who may be a guide, should the party need one.

"I may be seeking Oakesleaf out on another matter, and will share with you any further impressions I might make of the man."

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by NJWilliam »

Alex Ittos

Alex leans back in his chair, "Seems like this little thorpe has more going on than meets the eye. Think the ranger found out any more?" His eyes glance over at the door.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Ythgar
Tracker
Tracker

#31 Post by Ythgar »

Sarvane Ithrold

Seeing the other members of the party sitting together when he enters the Silver Tankard, Sarvane walks over to their table and sits down with them. Once he has sat down he will ask what the others found out around town, and them tell them if the meeting he arranged with Willim, "I have arranged a meeting with Willim at the apothecary, at subset tonight concerning the enterprising group he was looking for. I do not know if we will agree to go, but if we choose to, Willim will be waiting."

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#32 Post by Landifarne »

Retiring to their rooms, the companions fix and repair some gear and mend some clothing to while away a few hours. Agreeing that their next step should be to speak with the apothecary, the entire party heads to Master Willim's abode about a half-bell before sunset. [The party had asked Gorlyn and others back at the Tankard, and the apothecary is likely the most respected and revered man in Highwold, having been present at most of the residents' births and having healed and/or saved the lives of numerous family members at some point in time. Oddly, it was unknown how old the apothecary was, as he was the longest living resident of the mountain hamlet.]

Arriving, the young woman whom Sarvane had met before ushers the group into the shop's parlor and has them all sit down. Serving them some tea and sweetbread, the young lady introduces herself as Katlyn Melliot, assistant to Master Willim.

Chatting for a few minutes, and allowing the comapnions to settle in, Katlyn then went back and informed her master that the group was ready.

Master Willim:
Entering, Willim introduces himself as a simple apothecary and healer, and he appears as a man in his seventh decade of life, supporting his self slightly with a staff. Asking the members of the party to introduce themselves, the old man then seems to drift off, mumbling and being somewhat vacant. This process continues until each of the five companions has spoken a little about his/her background and experiences...

Anyone do anything at this point?

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by NJWilliam »

Alex Ittos

Alex glances about each time Willim drifts off, hoping to see Katlyn nearby.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Sulara
Tracker
Tracker

#34 Post by Sulara »

Finn

Finn steps forward and kneels down placing a hand on the old mans shoulder she quietly asks "Sir are you feeling well? Looking into his eyes she searches for clarity or cloudiness. Having dealt with many of the elders of her home she has seen the results of age. Finn wonders if it is time passed or perhaps...something else.

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Landifarne »

Katlyn is sitting nicely at the table, listening attentively to the companions' stories. Her demeanor and comportment show nothing amiss.

As soon as Finn gets up to nudge the master, he looks at her clearly and bades her to sit, motioning slightly with his fingers for her to take her seat at the table. Master Willim smiles at her concenr but shakes his head slightly, indicating that all is well. Katlyn is not perturbed by any of this, and simply raises an eyebrow at Finn's actions.

Asking the others to continue with their introductions, Master Willim gestures for Alex to speak and wrap that portion of the interview up. As the opportunist talks about his days surviving near the docks of Ostgall, and of the short time he spent as bargeman, Willim once again mumbles to his self slightly, with eyes drooping to a point where they are nearly shut- but directed at the thief.

Finn looks unsure at this, but once Alex has finished speaking Master Willim perks up instantly. Nodding to his assistant, who then retires to the back, the master then spoke at length regarding the presence of an unknown number of ancient aeling shrines spread randomly throughout the Djorsalng Valley, the Djorsalng Range and the Norwold. Apparently, the elves that called the region home more than a millenia before left behind remnants of their civilization.

Few people knew anything about the elves and the apothecary indicated that he had spent decades of his life attempting to glean what he could from the few shrines that he had personally come across. Yet, he knew more than anyone else in the region, even more than the dwarves of Horlenholt- who had been the elves' immediate successors.

Willim then made an offer to the group, stating that he had found them worthy. And, at this point Katlyn returned to the room bearing a few bundles.

"I have need for a group of stalwarts to search the region for more of the aelinghan shrines. If you find a shrine, I request that you make rubbings and sketches of all inscriptions that you can find- and that you refrain from damaging it. From what I have deciphered, I believe that the ancient elves had knowledge of powerful forms of healing magic, centered upon the use of water lynsically imbued with energy," the old master says clearly, with Finn noting the man's use of a druidic term.

"I care not if you take for yourselves any artefacts found near a shrine," Willim explains. "The knowledge that I seek will come directly from the carvings, inscriptions and illustrations found on the stones that form it."

"I judge you worthy, and offer you some materials and funds to get you started...with the provision that you remain faihtful to the task. If, at some point, you find yourselves unable to continue with my quest, than please return those implements that I provide and inform me of what you have found, to date."

Willim gestures to Katlyn, and the young woman lays a good deal of materials out on the table: two portfolios of bound parchment; quills; an inkpot; several chunks of charcoal and chalk; two small, sealed pots. Withdrawing a coinpurse from the pouch at her side, Katlyn tips it into her hand and counts out ten silver marks- two for each of the companions [the equivalent of two months wages for a peasant]. These the young woman places at the center of the table, amongst the other implements.

"These materials are for you to use in your search, and to help equip you if you lack anything. If you need specific equipment or help, I can have some of the lads in the area procure it for you...as long as it is reasonable. Likewise, if at some point you feel you need some extra help, I can have Jonlin Oakesleaf or Harl Berlisson lend you a hand. You've probably met Harl already- the Tankard's stable hand."

"Now you, my dear," Willim stated as he lightly put his hand on Finn's shoulder [and she noted that the man's hand was heavy and hard, like a piece of ironwood]. "The pots of unguent are for you to use, as I see that you are attuned to the lynsic flows around us. Katlyn can instruct you in their propper use and storage, and you should return to me for further instruction in your arts after having seen something more of the world."

"When you return with rubbings and sketches of any shrine you find, I'll pay you five times that amount in silver, as the knwledge thus gained will be dear to me," the master indicated. "Do you have any questions of me yet, young sairs?"

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by NJWilliam »

Alex

Alex raises an eyebrow at the items spread on the table, "Can you provide a map of the shrines that you have already visited? I wouldn't want to bother with a shrine that won't be of help to you."
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Sulara
Tracker
Tracker

#37 Post by Sulara »

Finn

Finn lowers her eyes and nods her head slightly "Thank you Master Willum, I will be honored to do both." Turning to Katlyn the Druid smiles "When you are ready M'lady." She then glances down at the table and raises an eyebrow, pondering"Perhaps a scroll case or two are needed to protect the finished rubbings.""Beyond that my needs are met by what I carry and nature..I will care for some the parchment and charcoal if no one objects."

Ythgar
Tracker
Tracker

#38 Post by Ythgar »

Sarvane Ithrold

After hearing what Master Willim believes the aelinghan shrines to contain, Sarvane begins to think that such great knowledge must have been protected because that which heals can also kill. Master Willim, do you know of any defenses that these shrines you wish us to find may have? Places containing such great power and knowledge must have been protected in some way, and many creatures could be drawn to a location having as much magic as one of these shrines. Also, could give us a general description of the layout of the shrines that you have previously visited?

After asking these questions, Sarvane will listen very intently to Willim's answer. If Master Willim deigns to give a description, Sarvane will draw a quick sketch of the layout that he describes.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Pulpatoon »

Isolde waits for a lull in the conversation before asking for either Master Willim or Katlyn to arrange an introduction to Jonlin Oakesleaf.

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#40 Post by Landifarne »

Master William steps to a cabinet and brings out some oiled, waterproof portfolio covers for the group to place the parchment in. Then, picking out a quill, the apothecary sketches a quick map of the region. While he does this, Katlyn takes Finn aside and demonstrates how the pots of healing unguent are used- they can be used on a particular wound only once, and the pots only have six applications apiece. They will last indefinitely as long as a pot is sealed tightly after use.

The unguent heals 1 HP of damage, like a goodberry. However, smearing the paste on a wound will only work once. If a person recieves other wounds at a later time the paste can help restore that damage.

After sketching a map in black, the old apothecary then takes out a pot of ink made from some berry paste and places three crosses, indicating that those are the locations of known shrines. Nodding to the back of the house, the master mentions that he is treating an unusual man from the west, who had chanced upon the southernmost shrine only recently.

"I'd like you to head there first, to assay the shrine that my patient recently found," the master relates. "Like all of the shrines, it is of circular design. But this one has stellae and panels set around the perimeter, not just standing sarsens. It apparently had a well at its center, and was placed upon the site of a natural spring."

"The shrines to the west and north are comprised only of sarsens," the apothecary stated. "But at their hearts are small pools. This is a theme found in each of the shrines, and the dhurghal of Horlenholt confirm that their ancestors write of the elves holding water to be sacred. Likewise, the dwarven records mention a temple complex somewhere to the west, deep within the Djorsalng Range."

Pointing to the eastern part of the Djorsalng Valley, leagues north of the town of Rifford, Master Willim places his finger upon the map. "There is an old inn off the Rifford-Highwold track, near half-way between the two. Superstitious folk call the place haunted, whereas others say it is a bandit's hold. Neverthelss, after you have surveyed the western shrine I'd like you to look near there- as I've never had the opportunity to check that region and people seldom venture there. Find what you can at the newly discovered shrine, and then come back. With the information gleaned there, perhaps we can formulate a better picture of where to look afterwards."

Noticing that the woman dressed in such an inappropriate manner was attempting to get his attention, the apothecary gave her his full attention. Listening to her question, Willim nodded sagely.

"Yes, Jonlin Oakesleaf can be of invaluable service- but he has a number of responsibilities. You can get word to Jonlin through our provisioner, Luborn Flyntskin, as Luborn sees all of the trappers and mountain men and can arange for Jonlin to find you. The ranger may be able to provide some guidance to your company, if not aid you directly in your searches."

Listening to Isolde's other concern, the master indicated that Jonlin may be able to fabricate some leathern armor, but mentioned that she should also explore a second option:

"See Brewer Fulbrick," the apothecary recommended. "He's an old fighting man, and may be able to get a hold on some armor."

Map Spoiler-

Return to “Wardens of the North Campaign [1E Homebrew]”