General OOC thread

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

General OOC thread

#1 Post by imperialus »

So for right now, this thread is a general grab bag of all the OOC stuff we've got going on. Dice rolls, character creation, banter ect take place here. First off, here is a link to the Obsidian Portal site I have set up.

https://tales-from-the-fallen-empire.obsidianportal.com

Not much (really anything) there right now, and it's more for my sake just to help keep things organized, but if you happen to be an OP member and want to be able to edit the wiki or anything like that just msg me on there and I'll add you to the campaign.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

Re: General OOC thread

#2 Post by Todd Spengo »

After I roll up my funnel characters, do I just pick the one I like best to play or should I select randomly or something else?

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#3 Post by imperialus »

Just pick whoever you like best.

It's been my experience with funnel adventures that players will typically separate the wheat from the chaff and then have all the crap characters do the dangerous heavy lifting while the 'keepers' hang around near the back and avoid all possible danger. Just wondering if you used the Unseen Servant roller or not? I can't see anything listed in the campaign. If you didn't, I wouldn't worry about it too much and just run with what you have.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Todd Spengo »

I will be. Haven't started rolling yet. Reading through Fallen Empire a bit first. I'll get to it today. Just wanted to know the skinny on the funnel characters before I started.

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#5 Post by imperialus »

Oh, sorry, I missread what you wrote as saying you had already rolled the stats up. I figured I was doing something wrong on my end preventing me from being able to see the rolls :p

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#6 Post by Rostranor »

Hey man, I am reading through the setting book now. Have you decided what optional rules you are going to use and what character generation method we should use to roll the guys up?

EDIT: Saw the house rules never mind.

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by imperialus »

Looks good so far guys. If everything comes together hopefully we can get the IC stuff started this weekend.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by MrHemlocks »

When you plan to start? I guess I need to order the PDF. Was wanting to save $$ and get the print but no idea when that is being released.

I see by the post above you plan on starting this weekend. Now about those character sheets. Do you want us to use the unseen servant D&D sheets for our DCC characters? I guess 0 level characters do not matter all that much anyway ;)

One more question...how many 0 levels do you want use to start with? Can we use the character generator over at Purple Sorcerer Games .... http://purplesorcerer.com/tools.htm

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#9 Post by imperialus »

Yeah, the print version might be some months away still. :(

Go ahead and use the US char sheets. Just put your Luck stat in the Special Abilities tab.

As for Level 0's. I'm not going to do a funnel adventure. It just strikes me as something that could get very chaotic, very fast. That said:
Stat's are rolled 3d6 in order excepting luck which is rolled 4d6 drop the lowest. Then roll your Birth Augur on P19. Do this 4 times, in effect generating 4 level 0 characters. Now, if there is a particular class you are dying to play, and no one else in the party has filled that role I will occasionally allow a small stat shuffle. Ie; swap your strength of 14 with your Intelligence of 8 if you are dead set on playing a Sorcerer, and there are no other good candidates in your pool, but it's on a case by case basis, and I strongly encourage people to play with what they roll.

After that, you can pick your race and roll on (or pick from) the occupation table related to that race. I allow the option to pick an occupation so you can pick a backstory that actually interests you and you would care to roleplay. It can also make things a bit more coherent and prevent situations where you have Gert the Swineherd suddenly becoming a Sorcerer. Do not roll the d4 for HP though, you automatically get a 4HP 'kicker'. If you are playing as a Draki or Ooruk you do not receive a starting occupation, but you do still get the 4HP kicker. Also, both exotic races have stat requirements. Ooruk must have a starting strength of 14 and a starting stamina of 12. Draki must have a starting agility of 14 and an intelligence of 12. This is largely to encourage their rarity, not because they are any more powerful than their human counterparts.

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#10 Post by Rostranor »

I'm an Unseen Servant neophyte, I tried rolling stats and it was a pain in the @55. So, roll the primary stats even though the names of the attributes are incorrect and then roll 4d6c1 for Luck. In what order are the attributes going to be in? DCC order or swap the applicable stat with the new version? Is there any easy script way to get them to roll?

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#11 Post by imperialus »

Just do them in the Unseen Servant order.

So
Strength=Strength
Intelligence=Intelligence
Willpower=No DCC equivalent just leave it blank
Dexterity=Agility
Constitution=Stamina
Charisma=Personality
No AD&D equivalent=Luck (just put this in special abilities)

Likewise with Saving throws, just put them in special abilities as well.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter to me how you format your character sheets. I'd almost lean towards raw text, just to avoid confusion, but as long as the information is there, I'm not overly concerned about it.

As for scripting and the like, unfortunately I'm fairly new to Unseen Servant as well. Maybe one of the guys who's been around a bit longer like Blazeguard or Mr. Hemlocks would be able to help.

If worst comes to worst, just bust out your D6's and roll em at home.

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Blazeguard »

I'm sorry you found it so frustrating. If you go to the Dice Roller just click on create a new character, type a name and campaign id and then pick how you want the stats rolled. I just picked 3d6 in order and then rolled an extra 4d6 at the end for luck. I didn't worry about what stats are listed in the roller cause imperialus said he'd port them over anyways. With that being said I didn't try to match the stat with the closest one in the dice roller. I just rolled in order and then transferred them directly to a DCC character sheet in order so this is how I envision my character:
I rolled (in order): 13, 10, 12, 15, 14, 9 and 16
So porting those numbers directly to a DCC character sheet gives me:
Strength - 13
Agility - 10
Stamina - 12
Personality - 15
Intelligence - 14
Luck - 16

It looks like you were thinking of doing it slightly different. I'm fine either way but if you're trying to match to the closest stat I'll have to rethink which of my rolls to use.

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Blazeguard »

Also, are we starting at level 1 or 0. I know you said you weren't going to run a funnel but I wasn't sure if that meant we were starting at level 1 or not. I had rolled extra HP as if we're starting at Level 1. Just let me know if I need to take that off or not.

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by imperialus »

Blazeguard wrote:Also, are we starting at level 1 or 0. I know you said you weren't going to run a funnel but I wasn't sure if that meant we were starting at level 1 or not. I had rolled extra HP as if we're starting at Level 1. Just let me know if I need to take that off or not.
You will be starting at level 1. Level 0's without the funnel is just cruel :shock: . Also remember, you get the full 4 HP for the level 0 hit die. You don't need to roll it.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Todd Spengo »

I posted mine out of order. I tried to match up the meanings. I think I put Personality as Wisdom and Luck as Charisma.

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#16 Post by Rostranor »

I was trying to do it on my iPad too, which was not the best medium to use.

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#17 Post by Rostranor »

Test post

[roll]3d6[roll] Strength
[3d6] Agility
[3d6] Stamina
[3d6] Personality
[3d6] Intelligence
[4d6c1] Luck

[roll=Dice]Action Description[/roll]

[roll3d6]Strength[/roll]

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#18 Post by Rostranor »

Hey man I rolled up some dudes on the Purple Sorcerer 0 level generator, did a batch roll on the crawlers companion for the other dice and took screen shots for both if you want to see them. i then took one and leveled him. If you dont want me to do thator you want me to do something different let me know.

Also, what are your thoughts on allowing the "Having the Thief my Way" article on picking thief skills from Crawl?

This slaver dude is getting tossed in the drink. Who's with me?

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by imperialus »

Sounds fine Rostranor. I'm not massively concerned with policing rolls, particularly for chargen. It's pretty obvious how the bell curve falls on 3d6, and unless I see something wildly out of sorts for it then I'm not going to start auditing people.

Which issue of Crawl are the thief skills from? I don't think I have that one, but I'd be more than happy to pick the PDF up if you want to use it.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by MrHemlocks »

I will have my character up and ready by this weekend. Still need to order PDF. Will do that today. I am VERY familiar with the DCC core rules so Tale From the Fallen Empire should be an easy read or me ;)

Return to “Tales From the Fallen Empire [DCC]”