Third Time's the Charm

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Third Time's the Charm

#241 Post by Todd Spengo »

Tybalt rides forward towards Gaerys (if he's mounted, otherwise he rushes forward on foot) and channels the power of The Lord of Light to smite the foul creatures pouring forth from the Steading.

Turn Undead: [1d20] = 15

Unless otherwise noted, I'll apply all +4 of my Defender's bonus to my AC.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by drpete »

Ethan Blacktyde (35?/71)

Seeing that Gaerys is in trouble, Ethan draws Frostfell and charges across the courtyard (as the crow flies, it's about 140 feet, I think... Closer if they get initiative. I can make that, right?

To Hit (s/m) (ThAC0 11) [1d20+6] = 13+6 = 19 damage [1d8+6] = 1+6 = 7
To Hit (s/m) (ThAC0 11) [1d20+6] = 18+6 = 24 damage [1d8+6] = 8+6 = 14

(this is assuming they are not all turned... If the courtyard is empty, he'll try to slam the door.
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Eulalios

#243 Post by Eulalios »

Lorath

In case any ghasts attempt to drag off Gaerys, Lorath sends down two arrows to halt them. Otherwise, if any ghasts remain engaged, he casts faire fire on them.

Otherwise, if no ghasts remain nearby, and if Ethan is not able to reach the doors, Lorath descends enough to get clear line of fire toward the cross bowers.
using rolls above! :)
Last edited by Eulalios on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#244 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin takes a few steps back away from the fighting. He thinks to himself how once again the party has underestimated the enemy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys does his best Admiral Lord Nelson impersonation and hopes there aren't any pigeons in the area.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#246 Post by drpete »

Zhym wrote:Gaerys does his best Admiral Lord Nelson impersonation and hopes there aren't any pigeons in the area.
Interesting... I always assumed these things make you like a rag doll rather than locking you up. Is he like a dead body, or like a statue? I guess i'm asking in case lifting him up and running becomes necessary... :)
Last edited by drpete on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Zhym »

Once rigor mortis has set in, there's not much difference between the two, is there?

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#248 Post by Todd Spengo »

Or sealed in a cask of brandy?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Zhym »

drpete wrote:I guess i'm asking in case lifting him up and running becomes necessary... :)
What, you don't want to spend the next 30 minutes to 2 hours hanging around in the courtyard? ;)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#250 Post by drpete »

Zhym wrote:
drpete wrote:I guess i'm asking in case lifting him up and running becomes necessary... :)
What, you don't want to spend the next 30 minutes to 2 hours hanging around in the courtyard? ;)
given that I just charged the things, I may have no choice :roll:

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#251 Post by Magnus »

ROUND 16

The party is shocked by the sudden fall of a comrade. Seizing on the panic, the monsters take initiative.

The ghasts, having brought one party member down, move past their paralyzed victim and throw themselves at the party. It is clear that these horrors possess the necessary intellect to control their primal hunger and act strategically…though their ferocity betrays their ultimate nature.

Hollis breaks the wave of ghast attacks, drawing three of their number. The heavy armor and skill of the cleric is effective in fending off the majority of the attacks from the first two, though the cleric is lightly scraped by a pair of claws. The third, however, calmly flanks* the cleric, and then unleashes a vicious lashing of claws and teeth. The cleric is left bleeding profusely as he falls paralyzed, stiff as a board, to the ground!

*No shield bonus.
Hollis – 20 damage and paralyzed!!!

Antheris faces the attacks of two ghasts as he begins to transform into a giant eagle. The druid is fortunate to receive only one scrape from a claw. The creature’s filthy, yellowed nails draw blood. But the druid’s innate resistance to poisons allows him to fend off the paralyzing effect of its touch. The druid completes his transformation and takes to the sky.

Antheris – 3 damage

Marcus draws the sixth and final ghast. The young knight valiantly fends off the attacks of the savage undead. His return blow completely misses.

The four hornfeet firing crossbows trust their undead allies to take care of the melee and choose to concentrate their fire on Lorath. The nimble Valyerian avoids all four bolts.

As the enemy force pushes forward, two hornfeet pounce on Gaerys. One relieves him of his sword and shield and climbs back into the Steading. The other grabs the ranger’s legs and begins to drag him backward into the hallway. Just as it moves away, Lorath’s two arrows thump into its back. It screams in pain, but continues to move forward.

Tybalt rushes forward on foot and channels the power of The Lord of Light to smite the foul creatures pouring forth from the Steading. Drawing forth his holy symbol, the paladin – a surprisingly young man – commands the undead to depart in a booming voice. The ghasts freeze in place, overcome with the power of the paladin’s faith, and turn to flee!!!

Ethan springs forward in a desperate attempt to reach Gaerys. Desperate to reach the ranger, he slices one of the hornfeet crossbowmen to ribbons. His combat prowess and magically enhanced battlefield agility would seem to give him a fighting shot at a rescue!!! But there are at least four foes would would say differently.

Vorsyin, sensing things going downhill for the party, takes a few steps back in retreat.

Declare Actions!

V:

Shield - 43 rounds
PfE - 15 Rounds

A:
PfF: [Cast R. 15 - tbd]

L:
Levitate: [Cast R. 15 - tbd]

Antheris: 39/48
Vorsyin: 48/48
[Gaerys: 18/60]
[Hollis: 07/50 ]
Lorath: 40/40
Ethan: 35/71
Marcus: 35/35
Tybalt: 46/46

Map:
Courtyard Fight5.jpg
Courtyard Fight5.jpg (267.46 KiB) Viewed 917 times

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#252 Post by saalaria »

Hollis stays still.....

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#253 Post by NJWilliam »

Giant Eagle Antheris, (40/48)

Antheris makes a dive attack at the hornfoot most blocking the door to Gaerys, and soars back into the air readying for another dive attack next round. 360 foot move, 60 feet needed for dive attack

Antheris-Eagle Dive Attack THAC0 16 :to hit [1d20] = 13+4, [1d20] = 1+4, [1d20] = 13 hits AC -1, none, 3

Antheris-Eagle Dive Attack Damage: [2d6] = 8, [2d6] = 7, [2d6] = 9
Last edited by NJWilliam on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Eulalios

#254 Post by Eulalios »

Lorath pulls an arrow, strings it, draws it, looses. ... and again ... EDIT: Shooting first at anyone that's aiming at him, until they stop; then at anyone trying to grab a downed guy; then at anyone else who looks to be threatening his comrades.
Last edited by Eulalios on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#255 Post by drpete »

Ethan Blacktyde (35/71)
I think Ethan has 19+16=35 HP, not 31
Do I understand correctly that the one that took Gaerys' sword and shield has disappeared off the map?

(I'm not sure exactly how much of this I can do, but here goes... This assumes we get initiative... If we don't, it'll probably make more sense to read these rolls as fighting the hornfeet around him)

Seeing the hornfoot start to drag Gaerys away, Ethan attempts to leap the hornfoots to get to the door.

StumbleRoll(must gethigherthan 16): [1d100]= 77

Making it (?) he tries to slam the door, guarding his flank, then attack the hornfoot dragging Gaerys. Somewhere in here, if he can, he'd eat the mushroom.

To Hit (s/m) (ThAC0 11) [1d20+6] = 10+6 = 16 damage [1d8+6] = 2+6 = 8
To Hit (s/m) (ThAC0 11) [1d20+6] = 9+6 = 15 damage [1d8+6] = 4+6 = 10

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#256 Post by Magnus »

drpete wrote: Ethan Blacktyde (35/71)
Do I understand correctly that the one that took Gaerys' sword and shield has disappeared off the map?

(I'm not sure exactly how much of this I can do, but here goes... This assumes we get initiative... If we don't, it'll probably make more sense to read these rolls as fighting the hornfeet around him)
Yes, it disappeared off of the map (for now).

This post is interesting...will be cool to see how it plays out...

Will correct math on next update.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#257 Post by drpete »

Magnus wrote:
drpete wrote: Ethan Blacktyde (35/71)

Yes, it disappeared off of the map (for now).

This post is interesting...will be cool to see how it plays out...

Will correct math on next update.
LOL, yeah, aside from needing to get lucky, Ethan's kind of banking on there not being something much worse behind the door... :?

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#258 Post by Todd Spengo »

Tybalt (46/46):

Tybalt grabs Hollis and drags him around the corner of the Steading, out of sight of the Hornfoots. If he can, he'll try to shield Hollis from crossbow attacks as he drags.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#259 Post by Magnus »

ROUND 17

The party takes initiative as they scramble in recovery from the ghast attack.

Tybalt drags his fellow holy warrior out of sight of the crossbowmen. The savages’ bolts ping off of the paladin’s armor as he moves. Vorsyin holds his position.* The paladin, as well as the astute mage, cannot help but see the northeastern door yawning ominously at them.

*Assumed based on current lack of spells.
Lorath takes the fight to the hornfeet. His arrows thump into a crossbowman, who Antheris finishes in a woosh of a vicious dive attack and ear-splitting screech. The druid rises in the air clutching the larynx of the fallen cannibal.

Marcus joins the fray, charging forward with his two-handed sword overhead. He brings down another savage with a vicious scream and a downward strike of his sword. Ethan’s loyal knight catches his breath for a moment as his shining plate armor is splattered with blood spraying from the split head of the tattooed savage.

Forgetting the petty squabbles of just a few minutes earlier, Ethan tries desperately to save his comrade. He springs forward over the head of the remaining hornfoot and thrusts Frostfell through its heart in a single series of smooth motions. He takes a moment to consume the large healing mushroom, glancing down at his paralyzed companion.

Ethan reaches 60 HP.
Ethan then hears a rumbling laughter from the west. He glances up and sees a fearsome but familiar sight – a fifteen-foot tall fire giant clad in soot-covered plate armor. Another red-haired brute can be seen twenty feet or so to the west – inside of the now-open door through which Luna disappeared. Ethan can also see a once secret door, now opened and the hornfoot with Gaerys’s sword and shield running towards it.
The giant’s deep chuckle shakes Ethan’s spirit for a moment. The giant grins broadly and draws a jet-black two-handed sword.
fire_giant.jpg
fire_giant.jpg (40.72 KiB) Viewed 862 times
The party can hear the laughter, so it is not meta-gaming to act knowing there is an FG in the vicinity.
The ghasts stampede away from the party and exit the courtyard through the south door. Ethan flinches as the wave of rot and filth flashes between him and the Fire Giant. This prevents the fire giant from falling upon Ethan…at least immediately.

Declare Actions!

V:

Shield - 42 rounds
PfE - 14 Rounds

A:
PfF: [Cast R. 15 - tbd]

L:
Levitate: [Cast R. 15 - tbd]

Antheris: 39/48
Vorsyin: 48/48
[Gaerys: 18/60]
[Hollis: 07/50 ]
Lorath: 40/40
Ethan: 60/71
Marcus: 35/35
Tybalt: 46/46

MAP:
Courtyard rescue.jpg
Courtyard rescue.jpg (303.56 KiB) Viewed 862 times

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#260 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris, 39/48

Antheris executes another dive attack on the hornfoot in the courtyard.

Antheris-Eagle Dive Attack THAC0 16 :to hit [1d20] = 1+4, [1d20] = 19+4, [1d20] = 10 hits AC none, -7, 6
Antheris-Eagle Dive Attack Damage: [2d6] = 11, [2d6] = 5, [2d6] = 11
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”