Silverymoon Speak Easy

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Silverymoon Speak Easy

#21 Post by tooleychris »

None of the campaign actually comes from Magic World, save for names of places or people. Or I should say Magic World is not a module with which you might stumble on spoilers. There are some spells there that are not immediately available at creation.
We have 2 other players making characters so we should begin soon. No pressure tho!

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by tooleychris »

Another oversight on my part. Every character gets a free 60% to native language.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by tooleychris »

As stated in the recruiting thread, I've planned to use the randomizer here:
http://www.wizardawn.com/rpg/tool_world.php for a good deal of this campaign.
It is designed for RPGs with a more "old school " mechanic but most of it will be easily adaptable. One thing that will not work is the treasure generator.
Magic World , and BRP in general, have also left treasure rewards and treasure types out of their critter list, leaving it up to the Chronicler to decide what is appropriate, and while I can see merit in this, I was missing the flavor of players getting that lucky roll on magic item charts.
So for the last couple of weeks I've been working on a randomizing program to fill this void. What started as a sample set of charts, based loosely on the most popular fantasy RPGs creature "treasure types", has vastly expanded to include a truly random magic item creator as well. Items from mundane clay plates to the most powerful (and rare) of artifacts. Items that allow spell uses per day, charged items, skill and stat enhancing items, the plethora of magic items already available(modified for BRP ), protection items, offensive weapons, armor, shields....all with their own possible abilities. The closest thing I've seen to this is the magic item generators for Diablo, for those of you familiar.
On top of this I've also included the possibility for items to have unique appearances. Gem encrusted, silver inlays, gold plated, platinum etchings, engravings of a host of monsters, deities, races, symbols, and the more common "plain" of unadorned items.
I know this is just another toy but I'm pretty excited about using this and sharing it with the BRP community.
It's growth potential is endless as it's so easy to add stuff to as well.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Rukellian »

Hehe, it definitely sounds exciting, this new tool you will be using. I cannot wait to see what the group, or a player may stumble across!
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by Tomcat42 »

Hey folks, thought I'd drop in as I've answered the recruiting call. I'll be trying to get up to speed in the next day or so on the game mechanics (and hopefully get a character fleshed out). I'm more of an old D&Der so I've got to brush up on the BRP thing (from the little I've read, it reminds me a bit of the Harnmaster system). So far, the first character concept I've got is more of a beginning arcanist (or 'wizard') than a brawler.

The sandbox of play sounds pretty interesting so far so I'm looking forward to getting underway (as soon as I can get out of the 'roll a d20' mindset :shock: ). Check you guys soon.
DM: "Black Dougal gasps 'Poison!' and falls to the floor. He looks dead."
Fredrik: "I'm grabbing his pack to carry treasure in."

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by tooleychris »

I can't say it's too dissimilar to Harn. Some reminds me of Rolemaster as well. As soon as tomcat or another submits a toon, we begin. It's No trouble to recruit others later as your characters die needed. :)

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rukellian »

tooleychris wrote:I can't say it's too dissimilar to Harn. Some reminds me of Rolemaster as well. As soon as tomcat or another submits a toon, we begin. It's No trouble to recruit others later as your characters die needed. :)
:shock:
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by tooleychris »

Tomcat42 wrote:Just a couple of questions:

1. I've went with the Elf race as it appears to be more conducive to sorcery. Then I read the bestiary to get a primer on Elves in this setting. Evidently they don't get along with Dwarves (of which we already have 2 in the party). Just thought I'd ask if that might be any issue (i.e. are demi-human racial hatreds an item likely to come up in this game or is that something that will be left up to the characters?).
2. 60% native language. Do I need to invest in another language (i.e. 'human' or 'trade-speak') or do the races all share a basic language (only with really bad accents, depending on the race)?

Thanks!
1. There is tension between all races but not like between good and evil, or elves and orcs. Even in The Lord of the Rings elves and dwarves were mistrusting of one another yet Gimli and Legolas become great friends ..
Don't worry too much about it. It will be up to the players to RP it how they see fit.

2. I've been thinking about this a lot since skill points are sparse and I think since humans are the most numerous species I'll grant 20 points in literacy: human to all other races and an additional 20 points to humans to be used for social skills only.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by tooleychris »

I've finally added a section on Magic and Spells to character creation thread here.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by MrHemlocks »

So, with the thread, Capitol city of Lashingport, are we starting now? Should we start posting on it?

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by tooleychris »

MrHemlocks wrote:So, with the thread, Capitol city of Lashingport, are we starting now? Should we start posting on it?
This is just setting the stage. We're almost ready! :)

Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#32 Post by Tomcat42 »

I don't know how you guys fared on your beginning coin rolls but I'm srsly hoping we draw some equipment at the garrison before we get sent out past the wall! I'm not sure what I'm going to do about shoes :D. Mebbe we'll happen upon another party passed out drunk in a pasture who will volunteer some kit!

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Rukellian »

Tomcat42 wrote:I don't know how you guys fared on your beginning coin rolls but I'm srsly hoping we draw some equipment at the garrison before we get sent out past the wall! I'm not sure what I'm going to do about shoes :D. Mebbe we'll happen upon another party passed out drunk in a pasture who will volunteer some kit!
Hehe, I too shared the same misfortune of starting copper. We will be traveling beggar adventurers! Malfiac holds up a sign saying "Will slay your enemies for food and drink!"

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by tooleychris »

Tomcat42 wrote:I don't know how you guys fared on your beginning coin rolls but I'm srsly hoping we draw some equipment at the garrison before we get sent out past the wall! I'm not sure what I'm going to do about shoes :D. Mebbe we'll happen upon another party passed out drunk in a pasture who will volunteer some kit!
The elven, wannabe naturalist is complaining for lack of shoes? :lol:
You will receive your first payment for services when you reach Elizabeth Bay. It's the Nobles way of stimulating the economy there.

Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Tomcat42 »

I've posted my character and I should be ready to go whenever we get underway. I'll fill in whatever mental gaps I may have (on game mechanics, anyway :roll: ) as go.

Elf Sorcerer (or so he calls himself), Caltus Ondoviel, reporting for dootay.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by tooleychris »

I've got some 3d mapping/rendering to do tonight but will try to get it rolling in the morning (CST )

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by tooleychris »

Ugh. Sorry for delay, guys. Been an impossible day. Boss keeps wanting me to WORK during business hours...jerk!
I won't be able to start this up till morning.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Rukellian »

tooleychris wrote:Ugh. Sorry for delay, guys. Been an impossible day. Boss keeps wanting me to WORK during business hours...jerk!
That horrible man/woman :lol: No worries Tooley, I'm in no rush :)

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by MrHemlocks »

tooleychris wrote:Ugh. Sorry for delay, guys. Been an impossible day. Boss keeps wanting me to WORK during business hours...jerk!

********** :)

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by tooleychris »

I've had the flu all weekend and am on the mend but need to play catch up a bit.
Here are the heroes of the campaign so far. :)

ImageImageImage

Return to “Silverymoon”