OOC

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC

#1 Post by drpete »

I'm planning to kick things off by the weekend, so finish up your characters. If you need anything else from me before then, please let me know. If we get new characters after that, I'll incorporate them in some other way. If you'd like to flesh out any details, or discuss plans prior to landing or leaving (do you all have fast travel, do you want that? Do you want to hang out in the town and get your bearings, head out somewhere on the map right away, or seek some adventure around the landing spot?)

Assume it will be about a 2-3 week voyage. Its about 500 miles, but a big chunk of that will be at less than top speed, as travel to the sea requires a 200 mile trip down a navigable river from the City State.
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC

#2 Post by Rodriguez »

If there are really interesting and lucrative opportunities near the town I wouldn't mind pursuing them first. Otherwise the tomb is calling. :D

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by drpete »

About 150 miles, by boat, but presumably something is stopping water traffic, and sane people are not going to go that way.

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Rodriguez »

How much do you assume a warhorse/horse/mule need food each day? I could only find stabling fees (warhorse costs 2x as much) in the core book and supply costs for Cavalry compared to Infantry (Cavalry costs 4x as much) in the D@W book. (Guess the later also includes higher equipment upkeep.)

How will you handle food and drink? The rules for foraging and hunting are clear but how much food do I have to bring for my horses and how much can they graze? I guess due to their speed comoared to the cart grazing should be not much of a problem in open territory but I guess if we have to go trough woods it might be better to feed them.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by drpete »

Under merchandise, there's a fodder table. Its really for shipping horses, but it'll do.

I'll assume that in reasonable conditions, like not winter, not high in the mountains or desert, horses can forage unless you are doing forced march. A week of fodder for a warhorse costs 7 gp, and weighs 10 stone is how I read that. Water for a horse, 3 stone per day, I think, if you need to carry it.

For people, 1 stone per weeks rations (1 "item" per day) 1 stone per days water.

You can travel 6 days, then need a days rest. Its going to take at least a month to get that cart there, and that's not worrying about crossing rivers.

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Rodriguez »

Ufff... I think thats even more a reason to switch from the cart to a faster transport tool. Maybe if we all take medium riding and draft horses to carry us and our stuff we would be so much faster.
We certainly could afford it!

The-Dungeon-Shaker
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by The-Dungeon-Shaker »

Good point, Rodriguez.

I ditched the cart, sacrificed the mules and bought two horses.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by drpete »

I'm going to start things up today. Granger and pyro can come in once you guys get into the town... We'll say they are already there.

granger44
Scout
Scout

#11 Post by granger44 »

How are you handling new characters if our first characters fall? Or to put this another way, are we using the XP reserve rules and if so, how does this reserve work with "adventurer" level? Do we basically all have a reserve of 20k XP and can then contribute money as normal to a reserve? The later part may not make sense with this being a wilderness area, or is there another way to contribute to an XP reserve?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by drpete »

For XP reserve, I think I'm going to go with a step down if you die. I think I'll say that you have a reserve of 50% of your character's current XP plus whatever you've spent on "frivolous" activity. That would mostly be things you do in town, unless you find something to spend it on in the wilderness.

I'll include "living large" in that, and money spent on companionship, etc. Characters of your level are accustomed to a certain lifestyle, and I'll say that expendite can go into reserve, while you are in town. Call it a motivation to stay until your money is gone, if you want... :)

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by NJWilliam »

Sorry for the delay, I'll have logistics and normal gear updated today and ready to go.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by drpete »

NJ,

Cool, I wasn't sure if we'd lost you. Don't feel like you need to get everything squared away before you can post, just before we go off into the woods or on an adventure.

The people who were on the boat haven't had fresh food or companionship since the first day of crocodile, and it's note the 22nd, so 3 Weeks. You can consider everyone to be at the inn, and meet each other (the incoming group is conspicuously new in town and powerful/rich).

If you want companionship, there are people who would be drawn to you and your money. The question is do you have them hang out with the group and hear the discussions, or do you go off alone to entertain them. If you find very cheap companionship, there is a chance of getting a disease. For henchmen and hirelings, they'll take care of their own business if you give them free time. If you keep them at your side the whole time, they will get surly eventually.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by drpete »

At a place like this, the default would be about the same price as a meal, or possibly double that for higher class companionship. That's from a combination of buying them drinks and some pay. That companion would stick with you as long as you were willing to keep the relationship/party going. If you kept it up, it would be 50 gp/month.

At lower quality levels, the price goes down, but they are more likely to be carrying a disease. The prices go up or down by factors of two based on the quality. They can also act as 0 level carousers for you, and are likely acting as carousers for someone else at the same time.... Alternatively, you can get a girlfriend/boyfriend or a husband/wife. Those would be more like a henchman.

granger44
Scout
Scout

#17 Post by granger44 »

Happy Thanksgiving and/or Happy Hanukkah. Have a good weekend.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Todd Spengo »

granger44 wrote:Happy Thanksgiving and/or Happy Hanukkah. Have a good weekend.
Happy holidays to all!

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by drpete »

Happy holidays :) now to deal with this food coma.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by drpete »

A reminder about swimming rules... A character must make a swimming throw each round, getting above their endurance each round to continue acting freely or begin drowning, so this would be a real best undertaken without most of your gear.

Also, the water is liable to be quite cold. See the house rules for dealing with cold.

Return to “Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands)”