Chapter 7: Something Rotten In Greyhawk

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 7: Something Rotten In Greyhawk

#101 Post by wolfpack »

Nicholi I will do everything I can to try and find these people or at least discover their fate.

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#102 Post by Majik »

Studying the book further Gilnes looks for hidden script the likes that a thief might use.

Then he passes it to one of the spell casters, "Perhaps there is something hidden magically, like cast by a bard?"

For the DM: [1d100] = 74[1d20] = 1[1d10] = 9[1d8] = 1[1d6] = 3[1d4] = 1
Everyday I'm hustlin, everyday I'm hustlin
Everyday I'm, everyday I'm, everyday I'm hustlin

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc Temugen

Branc nods to Nicholi, "I would very much like to study it for a bit. There may be more to it than apparent at first glance."
When there is an opportunity, Branc will then read the book, committing it word for word to his precise memory.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Rukellian »

"The attack on Lady Talaseka was pretty abrupt too, don't you think? Maybe those very same attackers, the robed men with silver pendants, were also targeting people here in shacktown." After another moment of thought, Fezuul then asks Gilnes something. "You mentioned that you were dragged down to the sewers. On your way out, did you see any signs of habitation down their, perhaps a base of operations? The robed men might be hiding down there for all we know..." After showing a grimace on his face, the doctor than pleads with the group saying, "it is a place of filth and disease, the sewers, I hope that you all have better ideas to investigate."

[1d100] = 20 [1d20] = 9 [1d10] = 7 [1d8] = 2 [1d6] = 1 [1d4] = 3
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#105 Post by Stonjuz »

The last entry does seem a bit odd:
I saw a strange man walking thru Shacktown today. No one from the city ever comes here. There are no businesses, no shops. The man seemed to be looking for something - or someone. As he passed people, he'd look at them very hard, as if he were trying to recognize someone. He stared at me too, and for a moment I thought he was going to say something, but he just walked away. He seemed to know his way around but I have never seem him before.

As the party peruses the book for other clues throughout the first night in Shacktown, Nicholi hangs the clothes to dry. The party tells Nicholi of the events leading up to their meeting. Upon the mentioning of the name Talaseka, Nicholi pauses, then adds, "Attacked? How is young Talaseka? She must be about your age now. I knew her grandfather, Talasek. He was a friend of mine, and her great-grandfather, Talamar Thraydin was a paladin, a pillar in the church. A tapestry depicting his image still hangs in the foyer in the grandshrine. Talasek once told me that Lord Talamar was responsible for long ago ridding the city of an , ....oh my....., an evil cult that had crept near Greyhawk. You don't suppose these are connected? Talaseka's family has, or rather, had, a journal of the account in the Temple's vault."

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#106 Post by Majik »

Gilnes raises mouth hanging comically open as he was about to answer the question posed to him… But upon hearing about the book and its accounts with dealing with the temple he suggests “Perhaps we’d better have a look at that book Padre?”

For the DM: [1d100] = 3[1d20] = 19[1d10] = 1[1d8] = 7[1d6] = 3[1d4] = 2

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#107 Post by grey_starr »

*Assuming himself to be the worst reader in the group, Benson leaves the talk of books for the others* ... So there were no witnesses to these peoples leaving? or is it no one is willing to talk of what they saw? There is a big difference in that.

[1d20] = 12, [1d12] = 7, [1d10] = 2, [1d8] = 2, [1d6] = 3, [1d4] = 2 for the DM

*When Benson has a moment alone with Nicholi*I am sorry for not visiting, I have prepared a tithe for you that should help for a bit at the least.*Providing a purse with 14g 15s*
Grey Starr - Try my D&D name generators...

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#108 Post by Stonjuz »

grey_starr wrote: I am sorry for not visiting, I have prepared a tithe for you that should help for a bit at the least.*Providing a purse with 14g 15s*
Nicholi clasps his hands around the hands of Benson. With a smile, the cleric takes the money.
In the old man's eyes, Benson sees that Nicholi is pleased with the way that Greystarr has a grown a good heart within.
"Cuthbert shows in you young man. The rebel has grown too big, and moved along? Tell me, Have you been keeping up on your studies?" Nicholi can see that Benson has not. "None the matter. You are becoming a fine man, Benson Greystarr. And if another cult has indeed spread,....", he pauses and looks about to add the others to the conversation, "....Greyhawk will need men like you."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#109 Post by Stonjuz »

Majik wrote:I guess if Gilnes did see something on his way out of the sewers... now would be a good time to tell me (us). :p
Not alot.
Gilnes' adventure in the sewers.
Attacked somewhere in the southern section, around the warehouse district, enroute to the Unseen Servant, he was hooded and taken below. Sounds of echoing webs of drainpipe were prevelant, but no clues can be given to help with the way in.
(Not without southernly investigations)

The way out, however, has more to tell.
Running, turning, fighting, spinning, Gilnes cannot manage a map of his escape but does remember a large pit that he crossed, by hanging from, and groping at, an overhead pipe. Mixed with more webs of connecting sewers, he did see a webbed-out section (probably spiders), that he avoided on his way out, but he still fights as he runs. The 'workers' put up enough of a fight that he found himself injured and zapped of power an equal amount from below and from the chase outside.
He must have escaped from a spot somewhere northeast of the Whistling Fish, in the central section of town, because he does not remember crossing over any city walls while jumping between rooftops. The area he escaped from is near the spot that the group was attacked (marked Attacked on the map)

thats about all I can tell ya. except that ...there should be a sewer outlet to the river, downstream of Shacktown, one would assume, ;) somewhere

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Rukellian »

Stonjuz wrote:thats about all I can tell ya. except that ...there should be a sewer outlet to the river, downstream of Shacktown, one would assume, somewhere
I don't like where this is going, and Fezuul will probably regret even mentioning it :lol:

"The sewer network should run underneath the temple vault in question, right? Since we are no longer welcome into the city as of present, it would seem as if we will need to make use of this network to sneak in...." Sometimes Fezuul wishes that he could just shut up at times and keep his thoughts to himself, a look of disgust now on his face. It is quite obvious now that he is not entirely thrilled with the idea of sneaking into the city through the sewers, let alone going into the sewers for any reason at all.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#111 Post by Stonjuz »

[1d100] = 19 [1d20] = 17 [1d10] = 10 [1d8] = 4 [1d6] = 2 [1d4] = 4
Well into the night, Branc's study of the journal reveals two more entries that involve the disappearances.
Three weeks before Janson was last seen, he wrote:

Last night I thought I heard a woman scream. I thought I was dreaming but this morning I learned that one of the local girls disappeared. Ive seen her around. Hername is Mara, and she's about my age. Who would have done such a thing as to kidnap her? No one in Shacktown has any money to pay a ransom. I hope she is allright.

And a week later;

It has been one week since Mara went missing. No one has seen her. I heard that another girl went missing in the night, the very day after Mara vanished. Her friends went to the Citadel, but the officials refused to even listen. Funny that they will come here to find a pickpocket, but they wont investigate a missing person.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#112 Post by Stonjuz »

Rukellian wrote: ......It is quite obvious now that he is not entirely thrilled with the idea of sneaking into the city through the sewers, let alone going into the sewers for any reason at all.
Nicholi's meager offerings to either of the healers, Agrim or Fezuul, is one dose of Remove Disease.
I have been working on this, against the stench here in Shacktown, for months, when able. This potion may help. It is all I can offer, and if you are thinking of going in the sewers, you best take it. Dont drink it. Pour it on an open wound or something.
He helps Lokvin with his cleaned bandages by morning. Plus, he heals any remaining hitpoints away, in the quiet of the dawn, in his comforting bedside manner, as he makes his rounds, all the while keeping his voice at, or near, whisper.
He offers the animals nothing more than water. Best not let these two get lost out here. Many are hungry.
He watches as the heroes prepare themselves for the day. You should probably leave the tunic, Benson. The penalty for impersonating an enlisted man is probably more than just a polite shove, yes?
Branc readies himself, and sees he is fully prepared the same manner as usual except for a place to fit the journal.
Nicholi extends a hand for the book. but does not demand it, if Branc refuses

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#113 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc hands the tome back to Nicholi, relying on his precise memory of its contents should the need arise.

Branc: [1d6] = 4, [1d8] = 2, [1d10] = 3, [1d20] = 10, [1d100] = 11
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Rukellian »

Stonjuz wrote:
Rukellian wrote: ......It is quite obvious now that he is not entirely thrilled with the idea of sneaking into the city through the sewers, let alone going into the sewers for any reason at all.
Nicholi's meager offerings to either of the healers, Agrim or Fezuul, is one dose of Remove Disease.
I have been working on this, against the stench here in Shacktown, for months, when able. This potion may help. It is all I can offer, and if you are thinking of going in the sewers, you best take it. Dont drink it. Pour it on an open wound or something.
The doctor accepts the gift with a smile and nods in appreciation. Looking at the potion in question, Lokvin discerns that it indeed will do as Nicholi said. "If the... sewers is our next destination, this will definitely come in handy. You have my thanks as well as the group's."

Before setting off, Fezuul casts his protection from hunger and thirst spell upon himself, and uses his metamorphose liquids on the a beaker full of water, transforming it into a second Remove Disease potion. (He switched out his animate dead animals with metamorphose liquids) After having done all of this, he will have spent two of his spells.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by wolfpack »

Let's get under way, No one is going to help the people here but us.

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#116 Post by grey_starr »

*Removing the liveries of the Watch* There is evil that needs to be brought to justice!

[1d20] = 14, [1d12] = 2, [1d10] = 3, [1d8] = 3, [1d6] = 2, [1d4] = 1 Pour le DM
Last edited by grey_starr on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Starr - Try my D&D name generators...

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#117 Post by Majik »

With a smile and a sigh Gilnes looks up at Benson with a rueful grin and says "Again with the sewers? What wonderful smells we are bound to discover."

For the DM: [1d100] = 72[1d20] = 4[1d10] = 2[1d8] = 4[1d6] = 1[1d4] = 2

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#118 Post by Stonjuz »

[1d100] = 7 [1d20] = 6 [1d10] = 8 [1d8] = 8 [1d6] = 5 [1d4] = 1
Nicholi requests donations for the training. He gives Benson, Gilnes and Phineus time to take the gold down to the river docks and purchase supplies from any recent ship that has docked, and instructs them to buy as much building material as they can, with the added assumption that their labor will be forthcoming too.
The three of them pass by the sewermouth that lies between Shacktown and the docks. They learn that it is fairly exposed to public view and that it will require a feat of strength to create a large enough opening later.
At the docks, Cobbler here learns that Mechenstein has already procured the choice of the shipment but the laborhands do sell some common woods to the heroes.
They offer a fair price, and after bringing the supplies back to Shacktown (all day), the three feel they have drawn the attention from most of Shacktown's populace, but they are not approached, nor harrassed.
Over the course of the next five days, repairs are made to the humble shrine. The cleric will tell them to repair nearby shacks after significant change has been made to the old orphanage and church.

Nicholi shows some advanced divination steps to Branc, Agrim and Fezuul. The arcane science doesn't come naturally to Lokvin (opposing school, i think) and he soon looses interest and spends the next few days helping with the locals and their health needs while the party rebuilds some of the shacks. (making house calls?)
Agrim, already familiar with divination allowing Nicholi to teach at a faster pace, helps with the lessons and Temugen's eager mind absorbs them rapidly.

New training, building and humanitarian materials, also purchased from the docks, requires a pooling of party gold.
It is possible to keep some back secretly, but everyone now shares the remainder 7g, 7s and 7cp each.
For those of you who had alot, sorry, but it was Branc, not me.... :lol:
....for those of you who had little prior, well.....ho,ho,ho

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Rukellian »

The doctor empties his coffers of what little coin he has left and presents it to the person who is collecting (1GP, 8SP, 8CP). "This is all I have at the moment, short of selling off my clinic back in the city. I hope that my provided ministrations here can help lessen the debt that I owe?"

Consider Fezuul Lovkin destitute now, penniless :lol:

[1d100] = 98 [1d20] = 14 [1d10] = 4 [1d8] = 5 [1d6] = 5 [1d4] = 2
Last edited by Rukellian on Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#120 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc Temugen, wild mage

Branc happily offers all his coins in exchange for the training.
He concentrates hard on the divination and abjuration being taught, hoping to retain not only the understanding of the school of magic, but also a spell or two as well that he can add to his spellbook.

Branc: [1d6] = 2, [1d8] = 3, [1d10] = 7, [1d20] = 10, [1d100] = 96

Able to learn any spells with his level increase, other than his automatic evocation/invocation?
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Return to “The Inn of the Unseen Servant - Greyhawk 2.5e”