Character Creation

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation

#81 Post by Zhym »

That sounds a little like a partnership: shared ownership and liability.

I swear, I am this close to having Fëanus take a proficiency in Profession:Law and draft documents that will organize the party into a limited liability corporation or professional association.

Actually, an elven assassin who is also a lawyer seems oddly appropriate. :)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by drpete »

Yeah, that's the way henchmen "expect" to be paid. The truth, Zhym,, it's that this kind of thing is really a social contract issue between the players, so I want to leave it up to you guys. It does sound like there's a preference among most of the players for a limit to the number of henchmen, whether that is one or two each, or for some kind of group role pin the decision making about hiring.

In "game" reality, it's much easier for characters to decide not to work with each other if there's no common employer. The constraints of a gaming group do make it necessary for people to get to a common place for the sake of the game. Can we settle on some community agreement that works for everyone, like one starting henchman and a vote on future hires? I don't really want to impose it myself, but if saying you guys are empowered to decide that will help, I'll say that :)
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Zhym »

Zhym wrote:Actually, an elven assassin who is also a lawyer seems oddly appropriate.
The more I think about this, the more I love it. Say hello to Fëanus Feorod, Elven Attorney at Law. He has been retained to represent the interests of a client whose identity he is not at liberty to disclose due to attorney-client privilege.

As for the nightblade thing? Sometimes Fëanus has to engage in aggressive negotiations or "serve process."

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#84 Post by Rodriguez »

I mean, would you trust an anti-paladin not to turn on you the moment he has an advantage?
No, thats why one has to ensure thats in the A-Ps best interest to stay loyal. Be it with gifts, promises or other favors...

Which brings up another issue: who would voluntarily adventure with the daughter of a witch-queen, three skulking thieves, and an anti-paladin? If they ever turned on the rest of the party, they'd have even numbers! If I showed up on the first day of work and they told me, "Here's your co-worker Kim Jong Il and his team of three ninjas and Bob Hitler, Adolph's great grand-nephew," I'd be out of the door as quickly (but carefully!) as I could. Who would willingly travel with a group that seems as happy to stab you in the night as negotiate over who gets the good magic item?
Thats what you get for signing up for a job as an investment banker... :mrgreen:
As the doctor already said: The same mistrust can be issued towards the other group PCs. Best we work out a good reason why we all travel together.

Oh, and by the way, if henchmen get full 1/2 shares of XP instead of being split by PC, that group of cut-throats and killers (who, with the PC that hired them, would receive 40% of all group XP) gets stronger as the campaign goes on. It wouldn't be long before the gang of thieves and anti-paladin would be able to dictate terms to the party.

In short: you want me to give 1/3 of my xp to a bunch of evil killers who are as likely to stab me in my sleep as help me?
I didnt even mention the 6 other dark plated riders on armored horses that follow the witch lady and her ball-and-chain wielding consort...

I can ensure you though that the thieves wont join me on the adventure. They are strictly stay-at-home thieves and their business has no effect on you.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Zhym »

Rodriguez wrote:I can ensure you though that the thieves wont join me on the adventure. They are strictly stay-at-home thieves and their business has no effect on you.
Then they can stay at home from the start of the adventure.

I think a 1 henchman per PC rule makes sense starting out.

As an attorney, Fëanus would certainly advise against entering into even a short-term business arrangement with someone who has so many followers of such type, especially when their employers claim both that "their business has no effect" on anyone else but still insists that the followers must come along.

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#86 Post by Rodriguez »

Zhym wrote:Then they can stay at home from the start of the adventure.

I think a 1 henchman per PC rule makes sense starting out.
No, I disagree.
They will stay where its of the best interest of my PC and a general limit doesnt make sense to me either.
I still wonder how we should survive the things to come with so little henchmen and merc support
As an attorney, Fëanus would certainly advise against entering into even a short-term business arrangement with someone who has so many followers of such type, especially when their employers claim both that "their business has no effect" on anyone else but still insists that the followers must come along.
If we would play a goody goody group in a high fantasy campaign I could see your point., but coming from a murder-as-lifestyle Elf attorney... I dont know.

Lets just work out a group travel reason. I post some more info on my background soon.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Zhym »

Rodriguez wrote:No, I disagree.
Clearly.
Rodriguez wrote:I still wonder how we should survive the things to come with so little henchmen and merc support
You'd be amazed how many adventuring parties survive without bringing along as "henchmen" enough people to form a second adventuring party.
Rodriguez wrote:If we would play a goody goody group in a high fantasy campaign I could see your point., but coming from a murder-as-lifestyle Elf attorney... I dont know.
It's especially true when the main party is mostly of Neutral alignment. Do you think characters are less likely to turn on characters who are neutral or chaotic? I think they'd be more likely to turn.
Rodriguez wrote:Lets just work out a group travel reason. I post some more info on my background soon.
No. We need to get this henchman issue sorted out before we go anywhere.

If these henchmen aren't coming with us, they don't need to be rolled or paid for. If they are, they're too many.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by NJWilliam »

Zhym wrote:Treasure distribution should absolutely work on a per-player character basis: equal shares to PCs, who can decide how to distribute their shares as they choose.

I'd strongly argue that XP allocation should work the same way: split XP evenly among PCs, then split each PC share of XP among the PC and his or her henchmen. That puts the XP cost of hiring henchmen with the person making the decision to hire them. If you want lots of henchmen, that's fine, but it'll cost you character level advancement. If you don't want lots of henchman, you won't see an XP drain because someone else likes henchmen.
+1
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by NJWilliam »

Rodriguez wrote: The reasoning for treating henchmen equally is that they all share the same risk, no matter who hired them. Everybody profits from an additional sword or bow in the dungeon, it increases the survival chance of the whole group.
As henchmen, not hirelings, I assume they would be loyal to their master and not be very concerned about other pcs, and not risking their skins to go out of their way for others. Henchmen are much more of a benefit to their pc than to others.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

The-Dungeon-Shaker
Tracker
Tracker

#90 Post by The-Dungeon-Shaker »

Agreed. While they may benefit to the group as a whole, they primarily serve one master and one master only. Sharing XP and loot equally between PCs, then everyone dealing with their own henchmen sounds very reasonable to me.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by drpete »

This argument seems to work for theoretical henchmen nobody likes, but consider in the case of the party, the cleric henchman and the elven ranger. Should there really be a disincentive for someone to hire and equip these guys? I suspect that the cleric will be of noticeable benefit to the party, and the ranger as well. They fill gaps in party composition. Should the characters who paid to arrange these valuable services be penalized in gold share (and I guess you're suggesting xp) for providing the group with healing and outdoor expertise? This suggested rule imposes the group's dislike of henchmen into a systemic disincentive for anyone to step up to fill the group's weaknesses.

If the group says it doesn't want to take some guys on its pursuit of this or whatever goal, those guys can't come. You say one assistant on the adventure per pc can be "in the group" that's fine. I'm inclined to let a player have more henchmen that essentially sit in town and *dont* travel with you and suck up xp and gold from those group activities, though, if they want. Henchmen could be put to work on merchantile endeavors, carousing, hunting for leads, etc... activities that are not part of the group "adventure". Does that sound less disruptive of group cohesion?

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#92 Post by Rodriguez »

drpete wrote:This argument seems to work for theoretical henchmen nobody likes, but consider in the case of the party, the cleric henchman and the elven ranger. Should there really be a disincentive for someone to hire and equip these guys? I suspect that the cleric will be of noticeable benefit to the party, and the ranger as well. They fill gaps in party composition. Should the characters who paid to arrange these valuable services be penalized in gold share (and I guess you're suggesting xp) for providing the group with healing and outdoor expertise? This suggested rule imposes the group's dislike of henchmen into a systemic disincentive for anyone to step up to fill the group's weaknesses.
Yes, the penalty will mostly be XP and I think the party will end up weaker then it should. This will either be noticable in play or not... We will see.
If the group says it doesn't want to take some guys on its pursuit of this or whatever goal, those guys can't come. You say one assistant on the adventure per pc can be "in the group" that's fine. I'm inclined to let a player have more henchmen that essentially sit in town and *dont* travel with you and suck up xp and gold from those group activities, though, if they want. Henchmen could be put to work on merchantile endeavors, carousing, hunting for leads, etc... activities that are not part of the group "adventure". Does that sound less disruptive of group cohesion?
That would work for me just fine.
Just want to note that this can make it complicated to keep them at the same level but I doubt people would "park" fighter types so this issue might not come up.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Zhym »

drpete wrote:This argument seems to work for theoretical henchmen nobody likes, but consider in the case of the party, the cleric henchman and the elven ranger. Should there really be a disincentive for someone to hire and equip these guys? I suspect that the cleric will be of noticeable benefit to the party, and the ranger as well. They fill gaps in party composition. Should the characters who paid to arrange these valuable services be penalized in gold share (and I guess you're suggesting xp) for providing the group with healing and outdoor expertise? This suggested rule imposes the group's dislike of henchmen into a systemic disincentive for anyone to step up to fill the group's weaknesses.
Under my proposed system, there's only a disincentive if the party has decided it doesn't want the henchmen. If the party as a whole thinks it would benefit from having cleric and ranger henchmen, then it would agree to hire them and pay for them collectively. If for some reason the party doesn't think these henchmen would be useful (and, to be clear, I do think they are useful, and would contribute to their support), but a character wants to hire them anyway, then the cost of those henchmen should be on the player who decides to hire them despite the group not wanting them. In that situation, the henchman might only support his or her employer. So only the individual gets healed, for example.

The key to what I'm talking about here is that it's not up to any one individual to fill the group's weaknesses. The group can do that. The tension occurs when one character decides to fill a "need" the group has decided it doesn't have.

And "group" can be a subset of the whole group. If one character doesn't want any henchmen but the other four do, the four can pool resources to hire what henchmen they want.

As for others getting the benefit of henchmen they didn't hire, I think the Dungeon Shaker has it right. There are lots of ways henchmen can favor their employers. Clerics can prefer healing their bosses (and wouldn't you make sure your source of livelihood stays alive above all others?). In combat, henchmen can defend their employers and target creatures attacking their employers. Magic-user spells can be cast to benefit the caster's employer. And so forth.

What I'm proposing is not that radical, I think. Here's an example of how my system would work. Let's use Alice, Bob, Carla, and Don again. None of them are clerics. Alice could run off on her own and hire a cleric, but if she did she'd have to pay all the costs (GP and XP) associated with the cleric herself. But Alice could also say to the others, "We don't have a healer and we need one. I'll go hire one for us if you'll all agree to share the cost." The group, knowing the value of a healer, readily agrees. Maybe Don thinks its unnecessary and dissents. Then Alice, Bob, and Carla hire the healer and Don had better hope he doesn't get hurt.

---------

That all assumes that we're talking about my group vs. personal henchmen system. But even in what I interpret as the "by the book system as it should be" (off-the-top share of XP, but GP support costs paid by the hiring player), I don't think the disincentive to hire personal henchmen that have side group benefits is that strong. Henchmen are really useful. Most of the time, they're well worth the cost, even if that cost is borne by an individual player.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#94 Post by NJWilliam »

Zhym wrote:
Under my proposed system, there's only a disincentive if the party has decided it doesn't want the henchmen. If the party as a whole thinks it would benefit from having cleric and ranger henchmen, then it would agree to hire them and pay for them collectively. If for some reason the party doesn't think these henchmen would be useful (and, to be clear, I do think they are useful, and would contribute to their support), but a character wants to hire them anyway, then the cost of those henchmen should be on the player who decides to hire them despite the group not wanting them. In that situation, the henchman might only support his or her employer. So only the individual gets healed, for example.

The key to what I'm talking about here is that it's not up to any one individual to fill the group's weaknesses. The group can do that. The tension occurs when one character decides to fill a "need" the group has decided it doesn't have.

And "group" can be a subset of the whole group. If one character doesn't want any henchmen but the other four do, the four can pool resources to hire what henchmen they want.

As for others getting the benefit of henchmen they didn't hire, I think the Dungeon Shaker has it right. There are lots of ways henchmen can favor their employers. Clerics can prefer healing their bosses (and wouldn't you make sure your source of livelihood stays alive above all others?). In combat, henchmen can defend their employers and target creatures attacking their employers. Magic-user spells can be cast to benefit the caster's employer. And so forth.

What I'm proposing is not that radical, I think. Here's an example of how my system would work. Let's use Alice, Bob, Carla, and Don again. None of them are clerics. Alice could run off on her own and hire a cleric, but if she did she'd have to pay all the costs (GP and XP) associated with the cleric herself. But Alice could also say to the others, "We don't have a healer and we need one. I'll go hire one for us if you'll all agree to share the cost." The group, knowing the value of a healer, readily agrees. Maybe Don thinks its unnecessary and dissents. Then Alice, Bob, and Carla hire the healer and Don had better hope he doesn't get hurt.

---------

That all assumes that we're talking about my group vs. personal henchmen system. But even in what I interpret as the "by the book system as it should be" (off-the-top share of XP, but GP support costs paid by the hiring player), I don't think the disincentive to hire personal henchmen that have side group benefits is that strong. Henchmen are really useful. Most of the time, they're well worth the cost, even if that cost is borne by an individual player.
I agree with this.
I personally think money is better spent on potions of healing than cleric henchmen.
If one can easily find spellcasting henchmen I would assume that it's a world where potions of healing aren't terribly uncommon.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#95 Post by Rodriguez »

In ACKS a healing potion for 1D6+1 hp costs usually 1000gp. (500 if you make it yourself)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by drpete »

Potions of healing will not be common. There are no magic stores. There will be alchemists out there who can make them, but they will be inefficient on a cost/benefit basis. A potion of healing costs a lot to produce, but there is mundane healing which can fulfill this need on a limited basis, and "herbs" which healers can use on people in a comparable way. Note that death from combat only occurs on a bad roll on the mortal wounds table, and healing magic, herbs and healers can modify that roll. You'll be out for the fight, though, if you are dropped to zero.

The-Dungeon-Shaker
Tracker
Tracker

#97 Post by The-Dungeon-Shaker »

I've added my cleric to the henchmen section.

I went ahead and rolled his stats, feel free to correct me. Not sure about who he worships and what's his alignment. I'd like him to be a priest of Athena, with a neutral (or lawful at worst) alignment. ACKS doesn't state clerics need to be lawful/chaotic, although my D&D memories say "no neutral clerics".

Otherwise, I'll need his hp and spell list.

Last thing, still have some money, so I'll take a 3000gp chance at magic items again.

Other than that, I'm pretty much done, I guess.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by drpete »

Edit:
Shaker, I rolled your henchman some stats. Can't tell what you did with the system, but they sure looked like 4d6, drop the lowest. He ended up with some very good stats anyway, which I did swaps to to give him a higher wisdom without sacrificing any other bonuses. Athena is fine. Gods from the Greek pantheon are quite appropriate, as are most from our world, though Greek or Norse are probably most appropriate.

Each magic item choice is only available once, though, so that's not an option.

Thirdkingdom and sulldawga have both stepped aside, so we're bringing in some new blood.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by drpete »

Edit: Hold on on this...

PyroArrow,

Here are your stats:
On Nov 8, 2013 9:11 PM, <noreply@autarch.co> wrote:
>
> Your five(5) characters have the following abilities:
>
> Character 1
> -----------
> Strength: 8 Dexterity: 11 Constitution: 12 Intelligence: 11 Wisdom: 12 Charisma: 13
>
> Character 2
> -----------
> Strength: 8 Dexterity: 13 Constitution: 11 Intelligence: 5 Wisdom: 12 Charisma: 11
>
> Character 3
> -----------
> Strength: 4 Dexterity: 15 Constitution: 9 Intelligence: 4 Wisdom: 9 Charisma: 11
>
> Character 4
> -----------
> Strength: 12 Dexterity: 12 Constitution: 14 Intelligence: 12 Wisdom: 5 Charisma: 11
>
> Character 5
> -----------
> Strength: 14 Dexterity: 15 Constitution: 10 Intelligence: 16 Wisdom: 9 Charisma: 13
>

Return to “Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands)”