Ch. 3: Back into the Tomb

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Ch. 3: Back into the Tomb

#1 Post by Zhym »

You head back into the tomb with the two new party members. You carefully climb into the pit and through the crawl way into the room with empty chests and a bunch of dead asps.

The only exit, other than the one from which you entered, is a circular secret door 10' high on the north wall.

Actions?

Also, please give me a rundown of who is carrying what light source. Thanks.
Screen Shot 2013-11-02 at 8.10.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-02 at 8.10.57 PM.png (172.43 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
Status: Xale (F8/C8): 54/54; Malvexa (F0): 6/6; Elsa (F10): 58/58; Zoster (F9/D12): 75/76; Wolf: 12/12; Malibran (C10): 64/68; Worren (C9/MU11): 53/53; Mason (Mk10): 35/56; Eduardo (F10): 84/84; Abrex (R9/MU11): 103/103

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Ch. 3: Back into the Tomb

#2 Post by Cwreando »

Being close to the Vast Swamp allowed Abrex to heed the call of the King and accepting the same payment as the others. Since he was assisting the Alchemist Leetu in the port city of Duilstrand in potion making, along with magically crafting items kept him near the area.

Abrex says, "Quiet down ladies and lads. Let our senses work for us."

He cocks his ear to strain for any sounds in the area. Of particular interest is the S passage." OOC Familiar keen hearing. Did my dire wolf not make it in, and my familiar should be in my backpack with her head out paws on the back of my neck most likely. With her gift of sight Abrex may not need a light source but if required he has a headband with a Continual light coin attached to it and a set of individual coins he can offer 6 of the others that they can tie to their belts.

If they can go two abreast Abrex stays right by Mason. If it's single file Abrex says, "Mason you look injured still. I thought you received healing before we came in. If not stay behind me."

I will crouch down so you may still see in front of me to assist me as we head down this secret path. Slow going to maximize safety.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Grognardsw »

Elsa the Fair follows in order and whispers "Check for pits ahead" to those in front.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

To clarify: you entered this room by way of the crawl way passage that snakes east and south of the room. The yellow circle is a trap door found in the ceiling of that crawl way into this room. The green square is another trap door that you could find no way to open.

The only unexplored exit in this room is the circular secret door 10' high on the north wall. Mason was able to climb up the wall and open it, but it has not been explored. If you want to follow that passage, you'll need a way to get up to it.

I searched back in the thread but couldn't find anyone say they were healing Mason. If I missed it, please let me know. Otherwise, you'll have to use today's spells to heal him.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Cwreando wrote:...and a set of individual coins he can offer 6 of the others that they can tie to their belts.
"Abrex, may I make use of one of your coins?" asks Eduardo. He finds the idea of a light source he doesn't need to carry in his hand quite comforting. He's been in here ten minutes and he's already on edge. Cutting some thin strips from the end of his belt, he'll affix the coin to some ornament on his helmet, creating a miner's lamp effect.

"I've got a grapple on my rope here." he says peering at the opening above. "If one of you more nimble types can climb up and affix it somehow, we could all follow you up."

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Nuke66 »

Mason pipes up, "I'll climb up and secure that, just gimme a few." He hooks the grapple in his belt and scales the short wall.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Grognardsw »

Elsa follows up the rope. The sparkly glowing coin lighting her way makes a nice piece of jewelry around her neck.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

I'll update tomorrow (long day working as an election official today), but that should work fine for access to the secret door and the tunnel beyond.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex says, "Why sure here take one Eduardo the Fabulous and one for you too Elsa."

Abrex follows up behind Mason.

Abrex says quietly, "Can you see much? Don't go to fast in case we need to high tail it out of here."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by NJWilliam »

Worren

Worren, in turn heads up the rope with the rest of the party.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

You climb the rope into the secret door and follow a narrow tunnel about 40’, where it ends in a small door. The door opens easily into the east wall of a long 20’ wide hallway. One end of the hallway is about 30’ to your south. The north end of the hallway disappears into darkness. This hallway is similar to the entry hall—the floor is inlaid with tiles, and the walls and ceiling are painted with figures of animals, strange signs, glyphs, and humans and human-like creatures. The figures hold painted representations of spheres, each a different color.
ToH 10.png
ToH 10.png (612.18 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Acererak enjoyed basketball, volleyball, and dragon soccer.
The colors you can see are in the following order and positions (left = east wall, right = west):

PURPLE at feet.......................................GREEN he!d high above head
BRONZE held waist high........................YELLOW at shoulder
GRAY at shoulder..................................PINK held high above head
BRIGHT BLUE at feet..............................BLACK at feet
WHITE held high above head.................PALE VIOLET at shoulder
TURQUOISE at shoulder.........................BUFF at feet
SCARLET held waist high.......................INDIGO held high above head
PALE GREEN at feet

At the south end of the hallway is a cloud-filled arch similar to the one in the entry hall.
Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 3.10.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 3.10.41 PM.png (217.49 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Status: Abrex (R9/MU11): 103/103, Ula: 20/20, Lucky: 4/4 ; Eduardo (F10): 84/84; Mason (Mk10): 35/56; Elsa (F10): 58/58; Malibran (C10): 64/68; Zoster (F9/D12): 75/76, Wolf: 12/12; Xale (F8/C8): 54/54; Worren (C9/MU11): 53/53; Malvexa (F0): 6/6.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by ChubbyPixie »

So the opening we came out of was a regular door/opening? Not color coded?

Eduardo looks around the room clinically, trying to bury the sense of awe and nagging fear. He keeps an eye out for any movement. Eventually he will approach the nearest colored circle (within 5ft) say, the white one, and examine it more closely. "What do you all make of this?" he says.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Zhym »

ChubbyPixie wrote:So the opening we came out of was a regular door/opening? Not color coded?
Correct.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Grognardsw »

Elsa / hall of colors

The half-orc warrior admires the beauty of the carvings and colors, but is suspicious of their purpose. She searches for pits around her with a trident, moving slowly south.

"I don't know what to make of this," says Elsa. "Perhaps a sporting hall for dead spirits in the tomb?"

When reaching the cloudy portal, Elsa takes out one of the dead asps from her sack and throws it in.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Zhym »

FYI, I'm always assuming that when you move you're tapping with spears, etc., to detect pit traps unless you say otherwise.

Elsa approaches the misty arch. Three stones in the archway glow: the lower left is OLIVE, the keystone glows RUSSET, and the lower right shines CITRON.
ToH 5.png
ToH 5.png (305.92 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Elsa tosses a dead asp through the arch. It disappears through the mists.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex says to the group, "I suggest we let Mason check out the hallway for Traps and if anyone can detect secret doors innately they should assist Mason. Once we are clear of traps that have been detected. We can move cautiously about to look for clues that might tell us more about the colors. I would not recommend touching anything here yet. From what you have told me this place is a trap nightmare. If anything bad happens that we need to fight for please gather around me so I can cast a spell that will protect us all if it is really bad.

Abrex reaches down and pets Ula and says, "Stay Girl. This is a bad place. Abrex tells Ula, Free when she can move freely."

Abrex's hair stands on ends and he begins to think they are not in a good place.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Eduardo pauses at Abrex's words of caution, the tip of his outstretched spear inches away from the white circle. He clears his throat and retracts the spear, trying to seem casual...

"Good thinking, Abrex," he says.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Grognardsw »

Elsa nods her head to Abrex's words. With her sword drawn, the half-orc fighter watches the monk explore for traps.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Nuke66 »

Mason will check for traps, but is most concerned about the archway. "I think we should go another way, I will not go through there."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Zhym »

Mason checks the floor for pit traps while avoiding the mist-filled arch. He finds, in welcome contrast to the entry hall, that the entire hallway floor is solid.
I interpreted "Mason will check for traps" as checking for pit traps on the floor. Checking the entire area of all the walls for traps would take prohibitively long. If you want to check the walls, you'll need to tell me what you're looking at and how.
His exploration maps the rest of the hallway. It is 130' along its full length. Four more representations of spheres are revealed, making the full list of colors:

GOLD held high above head..................PALE BLUE at shoulder
ORANGE held waist high.......................SILVER at feet
PURPLE at feet.......................................GREEN he!d high above head
BRONZE held waist high........................YELLOW at shoulder
GRAY at shoulder..................................PINK held high above head
BRIGHT BLUE at feet..............................BLACK at feet
WHITE held high above head.................PALE VIOLET at shoulder
TURQUOISE at shoulder.........................BUFF at feet
SCARLET held waist high.......................INDIGO held high above head
PALE GREEN at feet
Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 10.00.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 10.00.20 AM.png (179.72 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
Status: Abrex (R9/MU11): 103/103, Ula: 20/20, Lucky: 4/4 ; Eduardo (F10): 84/84; Mason (Mk10): 35/56; Elsa (F10): 58/58; Malibran (C10): 64/68; Zoster (F9/D12): 75/76, Wolf: 12/12; Xale (F8/C8): 54/54; Worren (C9/MU11): 53/53; Malvexa (F0): 6/6.

Return to “Party 1”