21. Revisiting the Troglodyte Lair

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 21. Revisiting the Troglodyte Lair

#281 Post by Rukellian »

It's a risk it all or lose it all scenario, Fimmion realizes this. No longer able to rely on his magics, he pulls out his knife and attacks the swamp beast nearest to him out of desperation.(g4 I assume?)

To hit [1d20] = 10 Dagger/Knife strike [1d4] = 3
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by Grognardsw »

onlyme wrote:
wolfpack wrote:
Grognardsw wrote:Ewell and Epsilon have 53 HP between them. How about the one leads the east charge out, another takes the rear, to serve as buffer for the one-hit-from-dead comrades?

well epsilon is leading the way I have already declared it as his actions this round, no fighting retreat just straight up flee.

IMO I think that is backward... The coast is clear once in the tunnel, to no one knows... However, If we push into the western tunnel with one mightly surge, the masses can't get to us, except for those 3 Gs, and we know how to get out, as it is should be a straight shot south... heck, natural light may be coming in from the south.
I checked the secret cavalier handbook. (not the one in the stores, but the secret one) and fleeing to save others is only a permanent stain once one takes the oath. Ewell hasnt...IF he has to run to protect the others in this situation, I suppose he could. He would be the rear guard, if Orek and Epsilon take the front.
Fleeing into the unknown vs. fighting out a shorter known escape. Hmmm, are we organized enough to vote on that? I guess a charge/wedge through the west

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Rukellian »

I'd lean more towards the western route, that is assuming I live long enough to make that decision :lol:
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#284 Post by saalaria »

on the spells front, not that it particularly matters but I only recall casting one serious wounds. Can you remind me the other?

Kaltar flails blindly in front off him with his mace:

Mace Action To Hit [1d20] = 6 Dam [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3

"ahh I'm blind - who can direct me?"

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#285 Post by dmw71 »

saalaria wrote:on the spells front, not that it particularly matters but I only recall casting one serious wounds. Can you remind me the other?
While this is technically the player's responsibility, since I have the information readily available, I'll share. As a player casts a spell, I strike the number of that spell on the 'Signature' page and also link to the update in which the spell was cast. In Kaltar's case, he cast his two second level spells here on Strom and here on himself.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Round 7

#286 Post by dmw71 »

Ewell, realizing the situation is quickly become a matter of life or death, continues to hack away at the troglodyte in front of him, but the resourceful creature is able to twist out of the way of the knights longsword. Directly behind him, Aric staggers back from the blow of the trog, his body covered in his own blood as well as the beasts. He hacks at the trog in front of him unsuccessfully with his bastard sword but his blade, which clanks against the ceiling during the vicious slash attempt, escapes without being damaged itself. O'rek, finally free of obvious enemies, looks to double-team the swamp creature being targeted by Aric and takes advantage of the distraction caused by the barbarian to land a successful thumping against the beast which drops it.

Drawing a blank for advantageous actions, Shannigans huddles low to the ground and casts the darkest of brown upon himself and his clothing. 'Maybe they wont see me.' he thinks to himself as he slowly begins to crawl thru the melee towards the western exit, regretfully ignoring his friends painful cries. Unfortunately for the hobbit, the beasts see heat, not color, so the first troglodyte he passes brings its javelin overhead and sends it completely through the halfling (-12), pinning his now very dead form to the ground. No longer able to rely on his magics, Fimmion pulls out his knife and lunges at the swamp beast nearest him but the little force the mage is able to muster is unable to get the blade to penetrate the thick, scaly hide of the swamp creature. Kaltar, vision still unreliable but starting to return, again swings his mace wildly without hitting anything.

"Through the east tunnel, it's our only chance to escape." Epsilon yells as he lowers his head and flees through the chaos towards the unexplored passage in the northeast corner. Three javelins rip through his flesh (-4)(-6)(-7) as he begins to force his way through the combat zone before the creatures are able to act.
Dungeon Master Guide > Chapter 9: Combat > Movement in Combat > Retreat
"To flee from combat, a character simply turns and runs up to his full movement rate. However, the fleeing character drops his defenses and turns his back to his opponent.

The enemy is allowed a free attack--or multiple attacks if the creature has several attacks per round--at the rear of the fleeing character. This attack is made the instant the character flees. It doesn't count against the number of attacks that opponent is allowed during the round, and initiative is irrelevant. The fleeing character can be pursued, unless a companion blocks the advance of the enemy."
The creatures retaliate.

Ewell draws two attackers and is able to successfully block both away with his shield. Aric, stuck in the middle, catches three attacks, but none are able to land successfully against the nimble barbarian. O'rek is pursued by one of the beasts, which attempts to force the cleric back into the little recession in the southern wall. The beast pierces the cleric with its javelin (-3) bringing him to within an ounce of his life.

Across the chamber, Kalter, still unable to see, holds his shield steadily in front of him, hoping for the best against any incoming attacks, of which there are two. The first clanks against his shield, while the second sneaks past his defenses (-5) and leaves the cleric at death's door. Fimmion clearly catches the attention of the beast he attempted to attack from behind moments earlier, because it quickly turns around and attempts to jab at the mage, but nearly breaks its javelin in the process.

A single troglodyte gives chase to Epsilon. The slow-moving cleric senses its arrival and is able to turn and face the beast to avoid being struck in the back. The creature strikes out, but misses.

---

Code: Select all

_________   / 
                           /  Fi Ka*g5_/ Ep/
                          /     g4 l4   l3/     uu: t7 (unconscious)
                 ________/l6* l1          \
                /   g3 s2*Ew*Ar*l2*        \
               /   _____ g2 g1  s3         |
                  /     \  Or* __          |
                         \____/  \___     /
                                     \___/   
---

Rolls
R7 | Initiative (West): Troglodytes [1d10] = 7, Players [1d10] = 3
R7 | Aric fumbles (on a 1)? [1d20] = 9
R7 | s2 vs Ewell (14+): [1d20] = 12, [2d4] = 4
R7 | g2 vs Ewell (15+): [1d20] = 10, [2d4] = 6
R7 | l1 va Aric (shield) (18+): [1d20] = 14 [2d4] = 4
R7 | l2 vs Aric (no shield) (17+): [1d20] = 12 [2d4] = 5
R7 | s3 vs Aric (no shield) (16+): [1d20] = 12 [2d4] = 3
R7 | g1 vs O'rek (14+): [1d20] = 15 [2d4] = 3

R7 | Initiative (East): Troglodytes [1d10] = 5, Players [1d10] = 2
R7 | l6 vs Epsilon (fleeing) (11+): [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21, [2d4] = 4
R7 | l1 vs Epsilon (fleeing) (11+): [1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8 [2d4] = 4
R7 | l2 vs Epsilon (fleeing) (11+): [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18 [2d4] = 6
R7 | l3 vs Epsilon (fleeing) (11+): [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21 [2d4] = 7
R7 | l4 vs Epsilon (fleeing) (11+): [1d20+2] = 3+2 = 5 [2d4] = 3
R7 | l6 vs Shannigans (crawling) (10+): [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22, [2d4] = 7
R7 | l6 vs Shannigans (critical?): [1d20] = 15
R7 | Kaltar w/ Mace (blinded) (19+): [1d20-4] = 5-4 = 1, [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7
R7 | g5 vs Kaltar (13+): [1d20+4] = 2+4 = 6, [2d4] = 6
R7 | l4 vs Kaltar (13+): [1d20+4] = 11+4 = 15, [2d4] = 5
R7 | g4 vs Fimmion (9+): [1d20] = 1 [2d4] = 7
R7 | g4 vs Fimmion (fumble?): [1d20] = 16
R7 | l3 vs Epsilon (14+): [1d20] = 7 [2d4] = 3

---

End of round 7.

Actions?
-- Project --
-- DM --

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#287 Post by saalaria »

Feeling he is near death, Kaltar csw's himself:

Cure Moderate Wounds [2d8] = 12

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Rukellian »

What more can the chef do in a position like this? He has run out of magics, his teammates are falling in battle left and right, if he flees a swift javelin strike will do him in (or beasty claws/teeth), if he sticks it out and continues his knife attacks, there's also a good chance he will die struggling to land a hit.

I'm not trying to sound pessimistic or anything, I'm just trying to look at things logically here, and the reality of the situation is against me, unless some miracle happens... (like a partial cave collapse that kills all the swamp beasts in one go but spares everyone else ;) )

Unless my character can find some way out of this, he will press on in his attack.

To hit [1d20] = 13 Dagger/Knife strike [1d4] = 2

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by onlyme »

I would suggest Fimmian shift toward Ewell and company, calling Kaltar to do the same. Even blind Kaltar should know where he is in relation to the room. Then everyone slash and hack their way into the western tunnel. pretty sure it will be a tpk, but it is the only way to reduce the # of trogs attacking at once.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by ravenn4544 »

O'rek scans the scene before him with a futile look to his eye "Lads! We fought a good fight! The Light will surely see us home!". With that, he pounds again at the beast before him unwilling to yield to the horde before him while his comrades are doing the same.

Mace attack [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17 (THACO=20)

Mace Damage (+1 weapon, +3 str dmg) = [1d6+4] = 3+4 = 7

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by onlyme »

Ewell refuses to give up without a fight, knowing that his estate will at least prosper from the movie rights

He pushes his sword westward attempting to clear the path, much like a farmer would a field of weeds.... only tougher weeds, with javelins, and bad breath.
longsword to hit (+3 str , +1class bonus): [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24 , damage1d8 (+4 str bonus): [1d8+4 ] = 6+4 = 10

his bonus roll not so good...Ewell D'Altonlongsword to hit (+3 str , +1class bonus): [1d20+4] = 1+4 = 5 , damage1d8 (+4 str bonus): [1d8+4 ] = 7+4 = 11

so, hit 22, max damage of 10

He then hacks forward again, hitting, but not much strength in it. longsword to hit (+3 str , +1class bonus): [1d20+4] = 17+4 = 21 , damage1d8 (+4 str bonus): [1d8+4 ] = 1+4 = 5 (so hit 19 damage 3)
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#292 Post by saalaria »

dmw71 wrote:
saalaria wrote:on the spells front, not that it particularly matters but I only recall casting one serious wounds. Can you remind me the other?
While this is technically the player's responsibility, since I have the information readily available, I'll share. As a player casts a spell, I strike the number of that spell on the 'Signature' page and also link to the update in which the spell was cast. In Kaltar's case, he cast his two second level spells here on Strom and here on himself.
You are of course correct Dave and the best bit was I had correctly updated my char sheet. Should never rely on my faulty memory...in my defense it was very early!

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by wolfpack »

In 1 last act of despiration Epsilon uses his last spell and casts sanctuary hoping the creature cannot resist his prayer.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#294 Post by dmw71 »

Still waiting on Aric.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by Grognardsw »

Aric sees the desperate odds getting through to the north corridor, which leads he knows not where. The barbarians hopes to make it out the west corridor they came through. He hears Ewell’s clashing blade as the knight makes an advance. Aric moves back with Ewell while slashing the trog pressing him. (withdrawing method - not Fleeing, per 2e DMG Retreat section - so 1/3 move [50’], while normal action can be taken.)

Bastard sword attack [1d20+3] = 10+3 = 13 Damage [2d8+4] = 7+4 = 11

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#296 Post by dmw71 »

Nice. Now that everyone is in, I should be able to post the next update on my train ride home (~3 hours).
-- Project --
-- DM --

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#297 Post by saalaria »

Aargh - the suspense ... I will be asleep!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Round 8

#298 Post by dmw71 »

The creatures surrounding Ewell poke away at the cavalier but the determined young knight is able to avoid harm. With a perfectly placed slash (+20xp) at the troglodyte blocking the western passage, he drops the creature and immediately steps over its fallen form, now almost finding himself in the desired passageway. An awaiting troglodyte halts Ewell's progress and manages to nick the knight (-2) with its javelin, but with continued determination, the cavalier presses the attack, issuing a slight scratch to his latest obstacle. Aric, fighting back-to-back with the cavlier, senses Ewell moving away from him, towards the west, and matches the pace of the young knight. The unplanned movement proves to be a distraction, though, and a javelin to Aric's sword hand finds its mark and scratches the barbarian (-2), but the sharp pain (-8) he feels in his chest an instant later proves to be overwhelming and Aric collapses. "Lads! We fought a good fight! The Light will surely see us home!" proclaims O'rek, trying to avoid being pinned against the southern wall. He knocks aside the javelin sent in his direction with his mace before swinging it back around and stunning his attacker with a solid blow.

Along the northern wall, the overmatched chef looks to stab the beast coming down on him but again realizes he needs to use more strength in order to penetrate the natural hide of the swamp beasts. The troglodyte doesn't share the same problem, sticking its javelin deep into the shoulder of the mage (-6) causing the world to spin before Fimmion finally loses consciousness. Kaltar quickly casts his last 'Cure Moderate Wounds' spell on himself (+12) before having a quarter of that gain (-3) lost as he feels a javelin nick him. The blast from the 'Color Spray' spell wearing off, the cleric finds the area coming into view. A terrifying view.

In the northeast passage, Epsilon prepares himself for the worst as he casts his 'Sanctuary' spell at the pursuing troglodyte. After a long moment where the affect of the spell was uncertain, the creature seems to lose interest in the cleric and turns to re-enter the chamber.

---

Code: Select all

_________   / 
                           /     Ka*g5_/ Ep/
                          /     g4 l4     /     uu: t7 (unconscious)
                 ________/l6* l1      l3  \
                /   g3*Ew*    l2*          \
               /   _____ g2 g1*s3          |
                  /     \  Or* __          |
                         \____/  \___     /
                                     \___/   
---

Rolls
R8 | Initiative (West): Troglodytes [1d10] = 1, Players [1d10] = 1
R8 | s2 vs Ewell (14+): [1d20] = 1, [2d4] = 4
R8 | s2 vs Ewell (fumble?): [1d20] = 3
R8 | g2 vs Ewell (15+): [1d20] = 12, [2d4] = 5
R8 | l6 vs Ewell (15+): [1d20] = 4, [2d4] = 5
R8 | g3 vs Ewell (15+): [1d20] = 19, [2d4] = 2
R8 | s3 vs Aric (no shield) (16+): [1d20] = 19, [2d4] = 2
R8 | l2 vs Aric (no shield) (17+): [1d20] = 20, [2d4] = 5
R8 | l2 vs Aric (critical?): [1d20] = 7
R8 | l1 vs Aric (shield) (18+): [1d20] = 17, [2d4] = 4
R8 | g1 vs O'rek (14+): [1d20] = 8, [2d4] = 8

R8 | Initiative (East): Troglodytes [1d10] = 10, Players [1d10] = 2
R8 | g4 vs Fimmion (9+): [1d20] = 13, [2d4] = 6
R8 | l4 vs Kaltar (13+): [1d20] = 5, [2d4] = 4
R8 | g5 vs Kaltar (13+): [1d20] = 13, [2d4] = 3
R8 | l3 Save vs 'Sanctuary' (16+): [1d20] = 15

---

End of round 8.

Actions?
Last edited by dmw71 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing s3's attack.
-- Project --
-- DM --

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#299 Post by saalaria »

Hmmm certainly is a difficult - rock and hard place come to mind!

If he can with current vision issue Kaltar casts light at eyes of g5 (ie the one furthest left from his pov) - so he can attempt to barrel past it to reach the east passage.

If not he will swing at the same trog to try to create and avenue to retreat

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by ravenn4544 »

did S3 fall in a previous fight? I thought he did...

O'rek continues to try and defend himself against the onslaught of javelin, tooth and claw with yet another mace attack but for the moment he tires and struggles to connect with the beast:

Mace attack [1d20+2] = 7+2 = 9 (THACO=20)

Mace Damage (+1 weapon, +3 str dmg) = [1d6+4] = 1+4 = 5

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”