Pulling at the Root of Evil

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Pulling at the Root of Evil

#301 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys follows the trail around the hillock.

I'm assuming Antheris and I switched back to our own footwear along the way.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by sulldawga »

Hollis will follow, though with mace and shield at the ready.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#304 Post by Magnus »

The party rounds the hillock. The see the obvious signs of a struggle...broken arrows, burnt trees, and a headless body of a human, which has obviously been picked over by animals.

In the reverse side of the hillock is carved a opening, somewhat like a small cave.

A voice calls out from the opening..."come in"

Antheris recognizes it as Lorath's voice.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys enters.

Assuming that the wind that took him was faster than us, so it's not a surprise that he'd be there already.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#306 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

Antheris enters as well, but cautiously.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by sulldawga »

Hollis will stay outside a bit. He'll cast Speak with Dead and see if he can commune with the spirit of that headless corpse.

Eulalios

#308 Post by Eulalios »

Kjelti will drop the axe at the entrance and stand there while her eyes adjust to the lighting in the cave. It would be rude to take a full defensive stance but she absent-mindedly hasn't yet sheathed her sword. "Looks like those giants know where you'd be fleeing, Lorath," she says crisply. "I expect we have only some minutes til they follow."

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#309 Post by Magnus »

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 4
Time: 09:45
Weather: 45 degrees; drizzling
Magic in Effect: None

Gaerys leads the way inside the hillock, the remainder of the party, sans Hollis, follows. Sure enough, the party finds Lorath in the hollow. He is standing in front of an open chest, which he had removed from a hole in the ground where it had obviously been buried. He holds a scroll in his hand.

Seeing the party enter the hollow, the violet-eyed Valyerian smiles slightly, bows deeply, and begins to speak.

Lorath Quarthos at your service. I owe you my life for that brilliant and daring rescue. Unfortunately, I will not be able to repay in kind as of yet. I have both questions and answers to bring to my own patrons.

As to your likely questions, what I can tell you is this: I was sent to this place from my own land based on some fairly...disturbing...signs in the aether pointing here. My three companions and I were searching the hills around the Steading when we were ambushed. We vastly underestimated the cunning and resolve of giants. There simply must be clever advice being given to them ... by whom, we do not know...

One of my fellows was brought down, and the other three of us were taken. I was the only one left after the giants "questioning".

The least I can offer is the contents of this chest. It contains enchanted leather armor and arrows, two potions as marked, and several scrolls.

My possessions, as well as those of my companions, were taken from me in the Steading. Perhaps you will find them as well should you strike again at this evil.

Be cautious, my friends... Trust that I will return to you in time to repay my debt to you. Move with purpose back to your camp! The giants are likely to follow!

Before further questions might be asked or answered, Lorath reads the scroll that he was handling. The smell of ozone fills the cave as the Valyerian vanishes from sight!

Hollis approaches the dead body, arranges his totems, and begins to chant to bring the spirit of the fallen warrior to life.

SWD has a 1 turn casting time; you are about half-way there.

Contents of Chest:

+2 leather armor
(15) +1 arrows
Potion of extra healing
Potion of diminution
Boots of elvenkind
Clerical Scroll: cure disease, lower water, cure critical wounds
Clerical Scroll: cure light wounds, resist cold, locate object
MU scroll: continual light, hold monster

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#310 Post by Zhym »

"Well, that was a rather one-sided conversation," observes Gaerys. "I didn't even get a chance to ask if he'd fill in the gaps in Tanner's map. Or to tell him of what we know. I had not thought of Valyerians as being so hasty."

"Still, that's a pretty nice chest full of goodies. Kjelti, would you help me gather this stuff? We can call dibs when we get to the Fist, but I'll keep the arrows ready for use in case we meet opposition on the way back. Antheris, this armor might as well have your name embroidered on it. Would you like to change into it now, or do you want to wait until we are sure we have time for your wardrobe change?"

After gathering the arrows and anything not picked up by Kjelti or Antheris, Gaerys leaves the hollow. While Hollis prepares to chat with the deceased, Gaerys will climb the hillock and look about for any signs of approaching enemies.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#311 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

"Well, I'm pretty good at changing, and I suppose it would be prudent to see how it fits now. I believe Hollis was starting an enchantment that might take a bit of time, so I think it won't cause additional delay." With that, the druid shrugs off he well worn armor and tries on the magical leather armor from Lorath's chest.

He will then cast Speak with Animals and ask the wolves if they would run with Antheris and his companions back to Antheris' den.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#312 Post by Magnus »

Antheris dons his new armor and enlists his new friends in a run back to the FIST.

The party otherwise gathers their new supplies and prepares to depart, though watching their priest's back as he completes his spell.

Sure enough, Hollis's incantation takes effect. A spectral form rises from the headless body of the dead valyerian warrior and stares lifelessly at the cleric in anticipation of his questions.
Hollis gets 3 questions!

Eulalios

#313 Post by Eulalios »

"I'll join you at the hill top," Kjelti says as Gaerys moves that way. She sheathes sword, strings bow, gets axe, and follows. "Those new arrows look nice, and I'd be glad to share... I have done enough close fighting today, to fill a week." As they near the top she adds, "Do I need to ask that we keep low, so as not to stand dark against the sky?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys hands eight of the magic arrows to Kjelti and hopes they don't have to use them today.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#315 Post by sulldawga »

Q1: what were the signs that brought you to this place?

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#316 Post by Magnus »

The vizier had seen the dark ley lines shift...they now crossed in several places north of the Wall...including in this area...we then came upon the Steading...

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by sulldawga »

Q2: How did the giants manage to find you?
Q3: Were you attacked only by hornfeet and hill giants, or were there others?

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#318 Post by Magnus »

The ley lines ran under the Steading...we found our way inside...we were overcome, and fled...but the giants tracked us back here.

Dire wolves ... a cloud giant, and the sons of Dagon - the black-eyed children of the muckwater - were part of the tracking party.

With those words, the apparition closes its eyes and disappears from sight.

The party concludes that the area has nothing else of interest and haste is the better part of valor in any event. This in mind, they return to the FIST without further incident.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#319 Post by Magnus »

Move to the "Re-load" Thread.

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”