Pulling at the Root of Evil

#1 Post by Magnus »

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 3
Time: 22:30
Weather: 41 degrees, drizzling
G1 Great Escape.jpg
G1 Great Escape.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1623 times
[Human Bodies are along Eastern Side of the Steading.]
The party recalls the current condition of the Steading and plans its next move.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Pulling at the Root of Evil

#2 Post by Zhym »

I presume the time is 5:30 at night?

"It might be time to check out that underground stream we noticed before," offers Gaerys. "Our goal is now to investigate the evil under the steading. We could probably get there via the door through which Luna was taken, but having seen what came through that door I am loathe to follow that path if we have another option. I would recommend that we follow the stream to see if it would allow us a 'back door' into the dungeons of the steading."

"Our other option would be to go through the parts of the steading above ground that we did not destroy—pardon me, I meant 'explore'—our first time here. But knowing what we now know of what lies beneath the steading, perhaps that is not the best use of time."

"As far as when we move in, the sooner the better as far as I am concerned." He thinks for a moment. "Unless the evils under the steading are weaker during the day. Would such a decision be worth an augury?"

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by sulldawga »

Hollis

"After I take a look at what's in this tube, I'd be happy to consult the spirits about our next move."
I want to resolve what's in the tube and then Hollis will cast Augury. It needs to be properly worded because it only reveals the results of an action to be taken in the next 30 minutes.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris, Angered Druid

"There may be helpful information to be had in the buildings of the steading, as well as entrances to the underneath.
"Best to clear them out of any foes as well, wouldn't want to get trapped in the underneath with more foes above.
"If there are any strong rooted trees near enough the steading, perhaps they may know something of the underneath, and I could speak with them."

(ooc: Does Antheris recall seeing any large trees near enough the Steading?)
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Magnus »

Gang, slight hiccup here. I made the faulty assumption that the party would want to rest and then plan the attack on Day 4. :oops: Note Hollis memorized and used all his healing spells on Day 3 in exchange for everyone being to full health, so it was not such a poor assumption.

See the prior thread for resolution of the scroll tube.

I will let you guys determine whether scouting, divination, or attack are desirable the night of Day 3 or to proceed to Day 4

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys would check the area around the stream for tracks that might suggest whether it has been used as an entrance.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris, Druid

Day 3, evening:

Antheris will accompany Gaerys once again for more scouting. While the ranger searches for tracks around the stream, Antheris will cast Speak with Plants and speak with the trees closest to the steading to see what their roots know of any underground passages or activity. If possible, he will also cast Plant Growth on a tree if it would allow the trees roots to grow further and sense more.

Back at camp, Antheris will speak with his dire wolf follower, Mingan, and ask about any tunnels beneath the ground and entrances to them.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by drpete »

Ethan proposes going to the site of the sacrifice the night before. He doubts there is anyone to save, but we might dying a clue about our enemy that one of the scholars can interpret, like what dark god they worship, or what the propose of the sacrifice was. We probably don't want to face guards at the entrance to the basement, or alert them that we're poking around their home as night, their time of strength, approaches.
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Magnus »

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 3
Time: 23:15
Weather: 41 degrees, drizzling

The woodsman and druid again leave the group, risking an encounter on their own, but ultimately successful in another stealth reconnaissance.

Gaerys sees no giant tracks in or around the stream. However, he does quickly discern that the stream vanishes underground in a very low cave in the hillock on which the Steading is perched. Whether it leads to tunnels underneath the Steading or a drowning death in a dark, icy streak would have to be explored.

The druid learns from the tall pines on the streambank that the stream leads into natural caves under the Steading, though there is some distance purely underwater before it surfaces. They also tell the druid that there are unnatural tunnels as well that predate the Steading's construction.

The two return to camp and report on their findings. Antheris speaks to his direwolf, and is again reminded that it lived out its sorry life in the courtyard in the Steading and tracking in the surrounding lands.*

*No harm no foul, but not sure if you had any Speak with Animals spells left.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys discusses the feasibility of entering the caverns underneath the Steading through the stream. "Holding our breath through the water wouldn't be a problem," he says. "Antheris and Vorsyin could have the entire party—including Blue and Mingan— breathing water, although doing so would mean forgoing many other spells. If we had a day to spare, a single spell would allow one person to scout the length of the underwater portion of the stream."

"But being able to breathe water does not mean wanting to be in it. Would all of our armor, weapons, and equipment survive a dip in the stream? I prefer entrances though back doors. Especially ones that are hard to go through. But is this one more trouble than it would be worth?"

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

"Blue is quite at home in the water already, I can always shapeshift into something more aquatic, and my water breathing spells will last for about 8 hours, I could cast at most three of them."
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Zhym »

"If Antheris and Blue don't need magical assistance to pass through the water, that would leave us needing, what, five or six spells? How do wolves fare in water?"

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Magnus »

So, is the party going to try the underground stream or is it g oing Into the Steading?

Are you all going to sleep and recharge spells?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by sulldawga »

Hollis the Cleric

Hollis will cast Augury and ask if exploring the underground stream would lead to weal or woe for the party.

Then he will rest and pray for a new set of spells.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by drpete »

I propose not trying to swim in, unless we can get a better sense of how far a swim it is. It might well be a "back way" in, but we don't want to drown, or be trapped with no escape, if our exit requires spells like water breathing or shape change. Let's pick through the above ground rubble, and see if we can assault the smoke monster's door.
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Magnus »

Hollis again pulls out his bag of bones and consults with the spirits. His reading of the omens indicate WOE for the party were they were now to dive into the icy stream and attempt access the Steading by swimming.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Zhym »

Of course, that doesn't tell us much, given that the party doesn't now have any water breathing spells prepared. That 30 minute range into the future again. The augury basically means that if we try to swim through the steam into the caves without any magical water-breathing aid, it will not go well. We knew that much. :)

"We can pick through the rubble if we think that will help," Gaerys concedes. But it's a good bet that our entrance to the tunnels below would be expected through the 'front door,' which will no doubt be heavily defended. Our entry through this 'back door,' however, would not be as expected; it would probably be lightly guarded—if, in fact, the denizens of the under-steading know of it at all."

"If we had a day to spare, we could scout what's in the caves beyond the stream without making our casters devote so many spell slots to water breathing spells. If only we knew whether there were more captives at risk of slaughter if we delayed."

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris, Druid

While the party is debating tactics, Antheris takes out a sheet of vellum, ink, and a quill and makes a copy of the giant map found in the cloud giant's bag.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Zhym »

"I had not considered the iciness of the stream," adds Gaerys. "Perhaps it would be best to pick through the upper steading first thing in the morning."

"If that occupies most of the day, one or two of us could scout the stream in the evening. Antheris might even be able to do so in a form that would not arouse suspicion from anything on the other side. Would it be worth preparing one or two water breathing spells for possible scouting later in the day tomorrow?"

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin has been listening quietly to the debate and thinking over the options. Gentlemen we have a complex problem on our hands. Last time we entered we had the element of surprise with us. We must assume that when we return the Steading will be on a higher alert and therefore harder to enter quietly. We should also assume that the exit in the fireplace we created will be unavailable. He begins to pace slightly as he speaks, We have the option of using the underground streams but, without greater knowledge of the flow of the streams and the extreme cold, that way could kill us faster than the giants. He stops pacing and looks around, Darkness would conceal us better but, darkness may also allow the evil under the Steading greater movement and activity so a daytime assault may serve us better. He puffs out his cheeks. A complex problem indeed but, I believe, what worked so well last time was the unexpected, a direct hard hitting assault. We must again try to do what is unexpected... he trails off again, lost in thought.

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”