Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 2. Welcome to Borovia

#321 Post by Zhym »

Date: Nouluna 3, 1221
Time: 6:20 PM
Weather: Foggy, overcast
Moon: Waxing Gibbous

You make your preparations for the night. Tibbius, Iluq, and Robert, knowing that they will need to refresh their spells by the morrow, look for quiet spots where they can sleep. Ismark offers his room. Iluq sleeps there. The other two bunk in the guest room.
Note that spells must be studied immediately after the required rest. Any non-restful activity (like, say, combat) necessitates a new rest period before spells can be learned for the day.

Also, I forgot that Iluq had also cast sanctuary. He'll need two hours and fifteen minutes to study spells once he's rested, assuming he doesn't want to replace any still-memorized spells.
Agrippo stands guard behind his table fort in the entry hall.

-----

Vokath offers to guard Ireena in the room of her choice. She offers to sit with the handsome but old paladin in the parlor for a while. She places her sword on a coffee table—the very table where her father's body had lain until this morning—and rests herself on a threadbare canapé that must have been quite fine in its day. Vorkath takes a seat across from her on a rose-patterned settee. He sits on the edge of the settee with his back ramrod straight, facing the boarded-up window, keeping his eyes peeled. Tumbler follows Vorkath into the room and stands behind him, blending into the shadows.

Vorkath tries to make small talk—where is Ireena from? What were her parents like? Her grandparents? When did she first encounter Strahd? What did he say and do? Why does she think he takes an interest in the family? Who would be motivated to fake a letter to the group? For what purpose?

“I only knew my father. You buried him this morning, remember? Papa was good. Strong, but kind. And a little silly sometimes. I miss him. I didn’t know my mother. Papa told me she died when I was very young. My grandparents died before I was born, I think.”

Strahd, she tells you, got into the house by disguise and charm. The first time, he made himself look like a villager. He arrived shortly after dark claiming to have urgent business with her Papa. Izzy was late returning from hunting and Papa was in town on business—she should have realized something was wrong because of that. Why wouldn’t a villager have known that Papa was in town?

Everyone knows not to invite strangers into your house after dark, but there was something in the man's eyes that was compelling. She asked the visitor to come inside and wait with her in the parlor. She sat about where she’s sitting now, and he sat right next to her.

He kept staring at her that night. Remembering it now, it was creepy, but she remembers feeling flattered at the time. They talked for hours. Funny, Strahd asked her a lot of the same questions Vorkath did. Who was her mother? What did she know of her family history? And he told her she was beautiful. She drank it all in. And then—and then when she woke hours later, still on the canapé, Izzy and Papa were standing over her with worried looks on their faces. Her neck itched.

The second time, about a month later, which would have been three weeks ago, he was more bold. He appeared as himself during one of his wolf attacks. Wolves managed to break into the house that night, just like last night. Papa and Izzy were home that night, but the wolves didn’t attack. They herded. Like they were the biggest, nastiest, damn dogs you’d ever seen. They backed Papa and Izzy into the pantry and just stood there, growling. Armed but heavily outnumbered, Papa and Izzy waited, wondering why the wolves didn’t attack.

That’s when he came to the door. He was really old—not like Vorkath, more like Agrippo. He had to be at least 45. He looked into her eyes again, and suddenly he was mature instead of old, distinguished and dashing, and enrapturing, not creepy. He could have taken her right there. She would have welcomed it. But he didn’t. He just kissed her on the neck. The kiss became a bite, and he drank.

She fainted again, and he laid her body down and left, calling the wolves with him.

“I don’t know why I told you all that. It’s all quite a lot to confess to a man I only just met,” she realizes. She grows more quiet. “I have no idea why he is obsessed with me,” she says, looking down. “I really don’t.”

Ismark wanders in as the conversation turns to your reason for being in the town. Who wrote that letter? And why?

“It must have been him who brought you here,” Ismark says. “Who else would? But it's strange. Adventurers have found their way into this town before. Some were drawn by the riches said to be held in Castle Ravenloft, some hoped to take Ravenloft for their own keep, some were on quests to defeat the great evil within. But none were invited. Why were you?”

Ireena yawns and curls up on her couch. “I need a nap,” she says, “before tonight’s attack.”

-----

The attack comes just before midnight. Robert, Iluq, and Tibbius awaken to the sounds of howling, scratching at the walls, and huge lupine bodies throwing themselves at the door and boarded-up windows. Ireena also awakes. She grabs her sword and stands at guard. Ismark takes a position in the dining room. The barricades hold for now.

Actions?

Status: Robert: 36/37, Iluq: 39/39, Vokath: 40/40, Repentance: 23/23, Tibbius: 22/22, Randolph: 4/4, Tumbler: 36/39, Agrippo: 52/52

Eulalios

#322 Post by Eulalios »

Tibbius starts reviewing his spells, sleepily trying to guess what might be useful.
Still memorized:
prot. from evil; unseen servant
knock; locate object; web
dispel magic; dispel magic
ice storm

to be studied:
enlarge/reduce; enlarge/reduce
"Tell me," he asks of Ismark, "does Strahd by habit wear anything, jewelry, or such, that you can well describe?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Zhym »

It will be difficult to study spells while the racket from the wolves is going on outside. You can memorize the spells if you can roll your wisdom or less on a d20 for each spell. It'll take 15 minutes per level per spell.

Ismark is not familiar with the vampyr's wardrobe. Ireena is, however. "The second time he bit me, when he was in his own form—he was wearing a cloak fastened with a brooch. Or maybe it was a necklace? Whatever it is, it's a dark red ruby, the size and shape of a pheasant egg, set in gold. I think. Or maybe it was silver. Will that help?"

Eulalios

#324 Post by Eulalios »

"That may be handy - damn this racket! - thank you, for later," Tibbius replies. He goes to the dining room. "Was it outside this window, that we saw Strahd last night?" he asks of whoever is there.

Does Ireena's description suffice for Locate Object?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by Zhym »

You can try. It may or may not work based on that description.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Stirling »

Agrippo will remain by the entrance hallway ready to lunge at the first wolf which jumps through the windows.

Bouv
Ranger
Ranger

#327 Post by Bouv »

Robert, listening to the wolves, "No doubt more work from their master. If they can wear away our morale, it will make it easier for them to strike."

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#328 Post by NJWilliam »

Iluq

Iluq tries to not be disturbed by the noise of the wolves and trusts his companions to fend them off, confident that they are aware of the need of rest for he and the other spellcasters.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by Grognardsw »

Vorkath paces about the room, thinking it only a matter of time before the wolves break in. He would like to take the battle to them, but his concern over the safety of Ireena keeps him in the room near her. Though he cannot put a finger on why, he feels the girl may have some larger role in the Strahd matter. The paladin must not let harm come to her.

The Sword of the True God quietly intones a prayer:
"Save us, O True God, by thy name, and judge me by thy strength.
Hear my prayer, O True God; give ear to the words of my mouth.
For strangers are risen up against me, and oppressors seek after my soul. They have not set the True God before them. Selah.
Behold, the True God is mine helper: the Lord is with them that uphold my soul.
He shall reward evil unto mine enemies: cut them off in thy Truth.
I will freely sacrifice unto thee: I will praise thy name, O True God; for it is good.
For He hath delivered me out of all trouble: and mine eye hath seen His desire upon mine enemies."

- Psalms

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by Zhym »

Date: Nouluna 4, 1221
Time: 12:00 AM
Moon: Full

The wolves continue their attack on the house. Boarded-up windows continue to thump with the sound of jumping wolves. Howls, scratches, and the rat-like screeches of bats fill the air. From outside, you hear the horses whinny in fear.

Agrippo remains in the entrance hallway. Vorkath paces about the parlor, wondering about the girl Ireena’s role in the Strahd matter. Tumbler remains in the shadows in the parlor.

Tibbius, Robert, and Iluq try to ignore the sounds and rest, knowing how important it is to recover their spells. But the casters find it impossible to sleep or rest completely. Spell study would be difficult, if possible at all. There’s just too much noise. Tibbius gives up and heads to the dining room, trying to remember the direction from which they saw Strahd last night.

After 10 minutes or so, you hear a crashing sound from the dining room. Bats swarm the house. Seven wolves leap through the window and immediately start to spread through the house. Agrippo jumps into action to attack the wolves. Vorkath takes a defensive stance to protect Ireena.

Ignoring Vorkath’s protections, Ireena grabs her sword and runs into the dining room. Vorkath follows from the parlor, he and Agrippo see the wolves charge past Ireena. None of them will attack her. She waves her sword in a futile attempt to find a wolf that will fight her.

The wolves have no compunctions about attacking Tibbius, however. As the wolves spread through the house, two remain to attack him.
Screen Shot 2013-12-21 at 11.50.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-21 at 11.50.28 AM.png (503.83 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Actions?

Status: Robert: 36/37, Iluq: 39/39, Vokath: 40/40, Repentance: 23/23, Tibbius: 22/22, Randolph: 4/4, Tumbler: 36/39, Agrippo: 52/52

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#331 Post by NJWilliam »

Iluq

Hearing the noise from the wolves increase, Iluq readies his two +1 hammers, and stands by the door to his room ready to attack.

Iluq, dual +1 hammer attack, THAC0 16: to hit, [1d20] = 4+1, [1d20] = 18+1; damage [1d4] = 2+2 (+1 v. L), [1d4] = 3+2 (+1 v. L) hits ac 11 ;) , -3
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Eulalios

#332 Post by Eulalios »

"Come, young lady, let us seek the penaura of the broad-shouldered paladin. These creatures love you, and fear him, so at least you can cause them some mental anguish." Tibbius, wielding his staff defensively, fits actions to words, backing himself through the taller Ireena toward the door to the foyer. "Could you get the door, please?" Then, very loudly, "M'lord Strahd! Regain your dignity! These games do not befit nobility!!"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Grognardsw »

"Damnation woman!" mutters Vorkath as Ireena bolts from the room. He follows with Excommunicator drawn. The paladin sees the wolves ignore her, confirming more his suspicions about the girl and Strahd. At least Ireena is safe from the wolves and won't restrict his actions.

"Tibby!" thinks Vorkath as he sees two wolves close in on the mage. The Sword of the True God advances into that room. "Ireena, there may be other dangers, stay near me!"

If Tibbius leaves it we'll probably run into each other, in which case Vorkath won't need to run there.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by Zhym »

Note: I updated the battle map, partly to make it slightly fancier, partly to add the seventh wolf I forgot to put on the map. I don't think the extra wolf will make a difference, but feel free to change your actions if so.

Bouv
Ranger
Ranger

#335 Post by Bouv »

Robert will come out of the room. hearing the commotion, and engage the wolf that is closest to him

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#336 Post by Computer +1 »

Tumbler leaves the room and fires a shot at the wolf down the hallway.
[1d20] = 6

After he moves back into the room and into the shadows.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by Zhym »

Date: Nouluna 4, 1221
Time: 12:01 AM — Combat Round 1
Moon: Full

You and the wolves act at the same time.

Vorkath follows Ireena into the dining room. Wolves and bats circle around to stay 10’ away from the Sword of the One True God.

Tibbius backs away from the wolves towards the door to the main hall. Despite his defensive posture, one of the wolves bites the elf as he backs up (Tibbius: -6 HP). He meets Vorkath near the door. Tibbius and Ireena now both stand within the paladin’s protective aura.

Agrippo tries to put the pointy end of his spear in one of the huge black wolves. He thrusts twice. The wolf dodges the first strike, but the second drives deep into its shoulder. Agrippo’s heavy armor deflects the wolf’s bite.

Tumbler steps out of the shadows and into the hall. His bolt is little more accurate than the one Ireena sent into the ceiling. This one ricochets off the wall. He steps back into the parlor hoping to duck back into the shadows, but another wolf has spotted him. It lunges at Tumbler, but the dwarf, true to his name, rolls out of the way.

The first wolf in the hallway runs into Ismark’s room. It bites Ismark in his side, which starts bleeding profusely. The wolf easily avoids Ismark’s feeble counterattack.

Robert and Iluq are able to gang up on the the wolf in their corner of the hallway. Iluq hits the wolf across the head with a hammer. The beast takes a dizzy leap at Robert, who smacks it on the snout with his scimitar. The blow stuns the wolf! Robert takes advantage and slices the wolf’s head off! The wolf falls to the ground, dead.

The remaining wolf leaps over its dead kin at Robert, who avoids the wolf’s bite.
Screen Shot 2013-12-21 at 10.40.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-21 at 10.40.03 PM.png (476.15 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Actions?
Status: Robert: 36/37, Iluq: 39/39, Vokath: 40/40, Repentance: 23/23, Tibbius: 16/22, Randolph: 4/4, Tumbler: 36/39, Agrippo: 52/52

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#338 Post by NJWilliam »

Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Stirling »

Agrippo will push forward bellowing some penal warcry about 'loosing the dogs of war', attacking the wolf he injured previously.

1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21
[1d6+3] = 1+3 = 4

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#340 Post by Grognardsw »

Vorkath will move through the foyer to the main hallway with the others following close, making his way to the other end of the house where the wolves are attacking.

Return to “Ravenloft”