Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion

#341 Post by Zhym »

I can't give everything away before the next round is posted! :D

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#342 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm really considering real dice the roller really likes to give me really low rolls.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by Zhym »

Says the first person to roll a hit this round. :p

GreyWolfVT

#344 Post by GreyWolfVT »

yeah after what 3 or 4 tries? honestly think the roller is evil until someone complains about it knock it and wow it suddenly gives a decent roll lol.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by Zhym »

Two misses, in this combat.

GreyWolfVT

#346 Post by GreyWolfVT »

yeah but you see when we complain about it it apparently starts working better.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by Zhym »

I'm going to write his up all official-like in the rules thread when I have time, but now that we have an illusionist in the party I thought I'd give you all a quick summary of how I'm going to play illusions and disbelief. These rules apply to both characters and monsters.

Saves vs. illusion are not automatic. They are triggered by something seeming wrong with the illusion. Often, this will be the lack of a sense component. For example: an illusory fire that gives no heat or a phantasmal monster that makes no sound might trigger saving throws. The more believable the illusion, considering all the circumstances, the more likely a saving throw will not be allowed.
  • For monsters and NPCs, this means I will only roll a saving throw if something about the illusion is off (no sound when there should be, sounds when there shouldn't be, details aren't quite right, etc.).
  • For PCs, this means that "I disbelieve!" alone is not enough to get a saving throw. You'll need to say what it is about the suspected illusion that doesn't seem right. I'll take role-playing into account here. For example, if you say, "I don't think there should be a wall here. I disbelieve!" I will either refuse a saving throw or allow one at a significant penalty. If, however, you say something like this, a save is more likely: "Grod knows walls and Grod knows dungeons. Grod knows that no one builds a hallway to nowhere, because it's a waste of effort. Grod suspects the wall is fake. He tries poking his spear through the wall."
You disbelieve illusions by acting as if they aren't there. If you want to disbelieve the ancient red dragon bearing down on you, you do it by standing your ground, forgoing any dexterity bonuses or saving throws (why would you dodge if you think it's not real?). If you believe a room full of treasure is an illusion, you have to poke and prod the stuff you think may not be there. In short, disbelief means acting as if you really think the suspected illusion isn't real. Of course, that may mean unfortunate results if it is real.

GreyWolfVT

#348 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I always disbelieve in an illusion ;)

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#349 Post by greyarea »

I usually look in shocked awe and then clap with the audience.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by Storm11 »

Sounds good to me. Am not a big user of illusions for combat purposes. Illusionists have much better combat magic than force spells imo and it always causes problems. So you won't see me using them thusly very often.
Greys Campaign.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by Dram »

Works for me sounds reasonable.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#352 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I don't think we are supposed to be able to rest peacefully ANYWHERE in this place but, we have to either try it or just move on and find another spot.

GreyWolfVT

#353 Post by GreyWolfVT »

yup. We're in the home of the as I understand it of the largest evil in Ravenloft at this time. So of course it won't be easy.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#354 Post by Cwreando »

I'd say that for a caster and not being able to rest is a pure death sentence in here. While resting poses a challenge it should be doable otherwise once casters use their spells they are done.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by Zhym »

Just because you think you should be able to rest in the castle does not mean it is easy (or maybe even possible). You're basically in a haunted house that's home to an incredibly powerful vampire. Why you expect to get a good night's rest in that place is beyond me.

In other words: the world does not adjust to fit your needs.

OTOH, the illusion is a clever idea. Done properly, it might even work. Who knows? :D

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by Storm11 »

I think personally we should wait about half an hour and see if the wraiths return.

Then if not you should bed down and Aggrippo and Castran will keep watch and the spellblade will cover the whole party if they huddle near one another, with an illusion of us as Strahd zombies milling about whenever Castran hears someone sleeping move or snore.
Greys Campaign.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#357 Post by Cwreando »

Let's give it a try. What level is good berry so I can put on Roberts list to memorize.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

GreyWolfVT

#358 Post by GreyWolfVT »

he used to have it. I had used it when I was running Robert. ;)

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by Storm11 »

It is a second level spell.

Along with flame blade and reflecting pool etc
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#360 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I also was able to convince the DM to allow the log of everburning spell that Robert used on a torch once.

Return to “Ravenloft”