Ch 4: What's our vector? Vecna?

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Chapter 4: What's our vector? Vecna?

#21 Post by grey_starr »

Clearly when next I train for something new... I'll try taking up running - harder for people to bug me so much*grinning*
Grey Starr - Try my D&D name generators...

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by Stonjuz »

One of the requested spell scrolls given, sold, traded to Branc is Flaming Sphere.
"Now don't be casting that anywhere near the Old City, especially around the grain mills, or anywhere in Greyhawk City for that matter. We dont need another big fire."

As more of the loot brought back from the Outpost is identified, some of the remaining pearls from the tiara are given to Branc.
The two are of sufficient value to be used in the spell Identify (the others consumed, or lost)
The saddle, valued at 25g to a rare collector, is bulky and, at first chance, sold off to a nearby tack vendor for 8g.
The bagpipes and resins are not returned, but again the party is 'reimbursed' with scrolls, quarters, sustanence, etc... for the most part.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by Stonjuz »

ragnboneshopper wrote:Agrim spends an extra day and night outside the city after the troubling revelation. He repeats his ritual, this time asking the departed spirit to give him a name or even a symbol related to where he and his companions should start looking for this "power of Iuz in Greyhawk."
Agrim's answer comes in visual form, a Cleric, or Paladin perhaps, but a follower of St. Cuthbert most assuredly.
StCuthbert.jpg
StCuthbert.jpg (63.08 KiB) Viewed 861 times

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by Stonjuz »

"Greystarr!!! Front and Center!!!""
Benson is called to the office of Nellsir Avanson, Captain of the Guard.
As the Captain is seen reviewing the records of Benson Greystarr, our hero walks in and takes his place, at attention before Avanson.
"Ahhh Benson. Good. At last, I finally get to thank you in person for your services related to the Servant's ...closing and the way you handled all that the events entailed. Fine,... fine example for Greyhawk. But as I was reviewing your record yesterday, it appeared to me that you will soon reach the fulfillment of the two year mandatory service, for all who call Greyhawk their home.
It then falls to me to try and get you to re-enlist. Now it seems .....you will have a big decision to make young man....."

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Agrim rejoins his companions in Greyhawk and reveals to them everything he has learned from the "spirits." He then goes about looking for temples and followers of St. Cuthbert, hoping to locate someone who resembles the image of the armored lady from his most recent vision.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by Stonjuz »

As Agrim finishes his rituals near the StoneRing, re-dedicated to the Old Faith, outside the Druid's Gate , he finds Garth approaching for his own.

'Located just outside of the city walls, the StoneRing is a remnant of an earlier time when the banks of the Selintan were unmarred by docks and warehouses. This double circle of monoliths with a stone altar at the center sits atop a small artificial hill. Time, wind, and rain have worn the tops of the giant stone pillars smooth and rounded the edges. The ancient construction is less than 300 feet to the east of the Druid’s Gate, and overlooks the Ery Trail which leads to the many farms further to the east of the city. The trail sees significant traffic, including dwarves traveling to the Free City from Greysmere. .....

A sprawling Manor occupies the flatlands to the east.

The druids of the ancient Flannae are believed to have constructed this site, and the StoneRing is one of the oldest stone circles yet discovered. For many years, the StoneRing was not a place of regular worship.
Instead, passing druids of Beory and Obad-Hai would stop here for a moment of prayer and reflection before moving on.'

This is also the place that Garth and Agrim were recruited together from. Garth does not much care for city life and will usually be somewhere around this spot.
city stonering.gif

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by Stonjuz »

"Ït seems the mage who accompanpied you to the Howling Hills has made quite a name for himself with the scholars. Word is, he made out like a highwayman whilst trading with them. You, Corporal Greystarr, having some....familiarity... with the new arrival, are to make sure the rest of his stay here is, shall we say...., uneventful. If he is traveling on, find out. If he is to remain in the City, make sure he gets settled in..., quietly. With the closing of The Unseen Servant, he can't stay there and I won't be able to keep an eye on him as much as I would like. Report back to me occasionally, and in the meantime, you think about that re-enlistment, alright? Questions?"

The water that flows through the center of Greyhawk could be used for the training. It may look a bit off, but I guess it could be done.

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#28 Post by grey_starr »

As always, I can be counted on. I will admit, now that I have had a taste of the adventuring life... I would like more. Yet it is a big change from the organized life I am accustomed to.

*resisting the urge to fidget, I wait for dismissal... then take some time to visit the Free City Arena, to check the schedule and see if there is a contest I can enter - perhaps winning a prize to help in my adventures to come*
Grey Starr - Try my D&D name generators...

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc Temugen

In the course of his discussions with the scholars, Branc asks into acquiring spells that he can add to his repertoire. In particular he seeks knowledge of the spells Identify, Chaos Shield, Hold Portal and Knock, and is willing to pay or trade spells from his own spell book for them. He also speaks with the scholars about sources for incense and herbs appropriate for calling a familiar, and works on gathering the necessary amount.

Branc is careful to be polite and gracious with the scholars, and thanks them in particular for the Ring of Elemental Control, which he has little difficulty making an appropriate fuss over, slipping it onto his finger and carefully concentrating to see if he can tell if it is attuned to a particular element.

Heeding the lessons learned from his father, Branc wakes early and begins each day with physical exercise, searching out a teacher in the staff and working daily to obtain proficiency with his staff of striking. He pays a craftsman to fashion an oaken staff in the same size and shape of his magical staff, so he can practice without any risk of damage to his staff of striking (ooc: already paid for the staff proficiency with c.p.s from level two, but needed a trainer and practice).

In the off hours from his discussions with the scholars, Branc delves further into his magical research, concentrating on divination (ooc: spending 5 c.p.s for access to the divination school). If he was unable to obtain Identify from the scholars, he will research the lore and particulars surrounding it until he has reduced it to a formula that he can add to his spellbook (ooc: spending 2 c.p.s for the spell). If Branc was able to purchase or trade for Identify, he will research instead, in order, Chaos Shield, Hold Portal, and Knock. He also hones his skills with the school of evocation and invocation, and practices the formula for Web and Tenser’s Floating Disc, adding them to his spellbook as well. Thinking back to their experience with the ant, Branc remembers the darkness he was able to summon, and carefully adds that spell to his spellbook. Branc’s extensive reading, writing, and research improve his facility with those skills. (ooc: spending 1 c.p. each on spellcraft and read/write).

Each day Branc also sets time aside in his studies to research the most auspicious times, days, and locations for summoning a familiar, especially one consistent with his personal views, philosophy, and abilities (ooc: Chaotic Good Wild Mage!). Branc tracks down his companion Agrim the shaman and speaks with him about whether he has any insight into upcoming auspicious days for the summoning of a familiar. Branc tracks down the highest quality charcoal and brazier, and on the determined day, time, and location, lights the charcoal and patiently begins the lengthy incantations for the summoning of his familiar.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by Stonjuz »

[1d100] = 67 [1d20] = 3 [1d10] = 2 [1d8] = 7 [1d6] = 4 [1d4] = 1
NJWilliam wrote:Branc Temugen
Branc seeks knowledge of the spells Identify, Chaos Shield, Hold Portal and Knock,
When Identify is first asked for, the scholars apologize and say that the druid/mage,Garth just bought the last of the scroll and resources for that, as he arrived in town, before the djinn was released,...
another can be found soon.

Chaos Shield is unfamiliar to most of them and more study will be required
Hold Portal is obtained, but when he requests Knock they all give a doubletake to him and each other, before sharing a chuckle- denied
If he was unable to obtain Identify from the scholars, he will research the lore and particulars surrounding it until he has reduced it to a formula
that he can add to his spellbook (ooc: spending 2 c.p.s for the spell). ok

He also speaks with the scholars about sources for incense and herbs appropriate for calling a familiar, and works on gathering the necessary amount.
Branc is careful to be polite and gracious with the scholars,
lets find out.....d20 charisma or leadership check will determine how much assistance in familiars
Each day Branc also sets time aside in his studies to research the most auspicious times, days, and locations for summoning a familiar
especially one consistent with his personal views, philosophy, and abilities
Branc tracks down Agrim the shaman and speaks with him about whether he has any insight into upcoming auspicious days for the summoning of a familiar.
Branc tracks down the highest quality charcoal and brazier, and on the determined day, time, and location, lights the charcoal and patiently begins the lengthy incantations for the summoning of his familiar.

the Ring of Elemental Control, which he has little difficulty making an appropriate fuss over,
slipping it onto his finger, carefully concentrating to see if he can tell if it is attuned to a particular element.
its amber and turquoise, so.... earth, er...oerth probably, any others?? 8-)

Branc’s extensive reading, writing, and research improve his facility with those skills.
(ooc: spending 1 c.p. each on spellcraft and read/write). wise

Branc wakes early and begins each day with physical exercise,
searching out a teacher in the staff and working daily to obtain proficiency with his staff of striking.
He pays a craftsman to fashion an oaken staff in the same size and shape of his magical staff, (gained, but still untrained)
(ooc: already paid for the staff proficiency with c.p.s from level two, but needed a trainer and practice).
Still need that trainer, and he has not had sufficient freetime lately The scholars cannot assist here.

In the off hours from his discussions with the scholars,
Branc delves further into his magical research, concentrating on divination
(ooc: spending 5 c.p.s for access to the divination school).
He also hones his skills with the school of evocation and invocation,
and practices the formula for Web and
Tenser’s Floating Disc When this spell is requested, the wizards again give Branc a puzzling stare.
"Tenser doesnt share his magic as rumor may suggest, and besides, he hasnt been seen in these parts since the Treaty. If , by chance, you get to be friends with the Council they may be helpful with that, as Tenser has some friends there, we think."

Thinking back to their experience with the ant, Branc remembers the darkness he was able to summon, and carefully adds that spell to his spellbook.

When Temugen steps from the scholar hall, he has gained...
ring of elemental control
Hold Portal
Web
Find Familiar
Darkness
A book on divination spellcasting
A book for study on Chaos Shield
increased his spellcraft and read/write

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc having been advised that Garth obtained Identify, he will focus his research on Chaos Shield.
Last edited by NJWilliam on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Agrim gladly takes a break from searching for the cleric or paladin from his vision and helps Branc prepare for the summoning of a familiar. Though he does not have particular knowledge about the best timing of such a thing, he will practice his ability to read signs and omens each day to advise the mage of the likelihood of success. He will secure the requisite "bones" for such readings.

Before Branc begins his ritual, Agrim will offer to sanctify the area in order to safeguard him from any interference (second level spell). He will then remain close by in case aid is needed, as long as it will not interfere with Branc's casting.

During this time, Agrim survives on regular castings of goodberry, of course offering some to Branc. "It's good, n-n-no?" He grins, his tusked orc-teeth making for an odd display as he champs and savors -- not the flesh of some animal -- but a single berry.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#33 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz wrote:[1d100] = 67 [1d20] = 3 [1d10] = 2 [1d8] = 7 [1d6] = 4 [1d4] = 1
ring of elemental control
Hold Portal
Web
Find Familiar
Darkness
A book on divination spellcasting
A book for study on Chaos Shield
And Flaming Sphere (unless he doesnt want it)
The divination book is a nice spellbook, but built especially for, and only to contain, divination
"Do you wish to trade the pillow for it?"

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by Stonjuz »

grey_starr wrote:As always, I can be counted on. I will admit, now that I have had a taste of the adventuring life... I would like more. Yet it is a big change from the organized life I am accustomed to.

*resisting the urge to fidget, I wait for dismissal... then take some time to visit the Free City Arena, to check the schedule and see if there is a contest I can enter - perhaps winning a prize to help in my adventures to come*
"Your orders came in early. Well, Greystarr, Standing the wall? Or perhaps your still riding the fence?"
The re-enlistment papers are presented in folder type and dropped to the table in front of young Benson.
"Take the day......Think it over."

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by NJWilliam »

Stonjuz wrote:
Stonjuz wrote:[1d100] = 67 [1d20] = 3 [1d10] = 2 [1d8] = 7 [1d6] = 4 [1d4] = 1
ring of elemental control Hold Portal Web Find Familiar Darkness
A book on divination spellcasting A book for study on Chaos Shield
And Flaming Sphere (unless he doesnt want it)
The divination book is a nice spellbook, but built especially for, and only to contain, divination
"Do you wish to trade the pillow for it?"
Branc nods. "Yes, an excellent trade. The pillow for the divination book."

ooc: Definitely wants Flaming Sphere.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#36 Post by Stonjuz »

Nuke66 wrote:Garth
[1d100] = 10 [1d20] = 1 [1d10] = 7 [1d8] = 8 [1d6] = 2 [1d4] = 3
spends time in the City seeking a Mage guild ,.This would be the only reason. Our druid is not likely to take to enjoying citylife anytime soon.

After being witness to as much of Nayman's demise as his stomach, ears and heart would allow, Garth leaves the temple for his moments of reflection at the Stone Ring.
On the way to the Druid Gate, he sees Branc entering the guild hall. The gains and losses in treasures, bought, sold and traded can be discussed.

seeking a Mage guild with which to study for a bit ... When Garth inquires into his gaining of spells, what are they? .......

He regroups with the rest of the group night The group currently has no base.
Garth can stay, at will, at the StoneRing outside the city, without being harrased.
Benson has quarters in the southern Old City Barracks.
Branc, though well equipped, is without arrangements. The scholars had put him up for awhile, but he has reached his 'welcome point'.
Agrim the Wanderer, accepted at the Stone Ring, but for prayer and worship only, finds himself awaking as homeless, but he is more accustomed it than most.

hoping to get an understanding of the loot.Most of the loot is gone, either traded, sold, and or, confiscated, but some new items have been gained

I know I owe you a level two update. if the chiefs keep it up, you may owe more

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#37 Post by Stonjuz »

grey_starr wrote:... then take some time to visit the Free City Arena, to check the schedule and see if there is a contest I can enter - perhaps winning a prize to help in my adventures to come[/i]*
[1d100] = 20 [1d20] = 3 [1d10] = 3 [1d8] = 4 [1d6] = 1 [1d4] = 1
Still officially on duty, Greystarr cannot spend as much time here as he may like. Benson does manage to win the event he qualifies for, (and can get into) and takes home a purse. No, not that kind of purse.
200 silver and three stitches.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#38 Post by Stonjuz »

Fezuul had set out to explore the idea of adventuring. He knew of a retired adventurer who has left the life and set up shop in a tavern inn called The Whistling Fish.
Unable to recruit Gruenab, a literal giant of a man, to travel with him, our physician hero has opened his own shop, the Healthy Hands Clinic, down the street from the Fish, in hopes of catching word of other adventurers traveling through the City. Hard times have befallen the lad, as the temples to Pelor and St.Cuthbert are popular for those requiring any healing and the services of a doctor such as Fezuul do not seem to be needed enough to keep him busy.
He still remains focused on his goals but knows 'something's got to give' soon.

As chance would have it, ....
Branc and Agrim are unknowlingly approaching the Fish, looking for a clean, reasonably priced, boardinghouse north of the Old City, at least for temporary arrangements.
Benson was assigned to 'watch' Branc, and Garth can also be present.........if so, we can officially get started.... again..... 8-)
whistling fish.jpg
whistling fish.jpg (49.79 KiB) Viewed 719 times

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Agrim looks up at the sign of the Whistling Fish, scratching at the scraggly orc beard that grows fitfully over the copper-brown skin of his face. "Whistl-l-l ... l-l ... l-ling fish? D-didn't kn-know th-th-they could ... do th-that. Maybe n-needs d-drink ale first..." The half-orc mimes a question to the rest of the group, shrugging and making the universal tankard-to-mouth motion. It's been a long stay outside the city without a drink...

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#40 Post by Stonjuz »

Was hoping the group could possibly pickup Lokvin BEFORE going to the tavern.
Once everyone is together, It will push us into a new chapter (chapter 5 the whistling fish)
Roleplaying any greetings with the new member, however forced, could happen here

Lokvin can recommend the Fish as a well run establishment, but has not stayed inside, (tight budget :roll: )
Feezul Lokvin has met the owner, while looking for adventurers and can relate the size of the owner who lives there. Nine feet tall.

Even from this distance, Agrim and the others can notice that the Fish is proportioned as the tallest two-story inn that any have seen.
In a nearby doorway, Feezul stands, beneath the sign, Healthy Hands Clinic. (not pictured)
The man has heard of no less than 6 new adventurers coming into the City recently. He sees possible candidates approaching, escorted by one of the Greyhawk guards. 8-)

Return to “The Inn of the Unseen Servant - Greyhawk 2.5e”