Action Thread #10 - The Mine

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread #10 - The Mine

#121 Post by Grognardsw »

Thurinor / tunnel

The elf does not want the shrieking goblin to alert any of its kind within the mine, so with a shake of his head Thurinor fires his loaded crossbow at the creature.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#122 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin looks up as he hears the ruckus and quickly moves over to the tunnel.

"What's Up?"

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#123 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh turns to Ogridor and Thurinor:
"wasss it me do you think? Perhapsss I need to work on my talking? Or reveal myssself more slowly to thessse little creaturesss?"

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#124 Post by Stonjuz »

While storing the scroll and the last of the foodstuffs, Stonjuz hears the shriek and begins counting heads. "Sounds like someones being attacked again. Quickly fellas..." The dwarf moves to investigate.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#125 Post by zebediah »

As the goblinoid turns to flee Ogirdor throws his spear at him

Spear, thrown - To hit: [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19, Damage (s/m): [1d6] = 5, Damage (L): [1d8] = 4

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Hearing the shriek from outside, Ozborn will hurriedly take one of the unfinished crude swords from the forge area and jam it under the south door frame, just hard enough to seriously slow anyone trying to enter from the other side, but with the handle pointing out, so he can pull it out if needed. "That'll have to do!" he says. And, after the briefest of pauses, "...I hope this door opens inward."

He then runs outside to join the others at the mouth of the tunnel.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#127 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Day 7, Morning: A Goblin's Fate

Party Initiative: [1d6] = 2; NPC/Monster Initiative: [1d6] = 5

Monsters act on segment 2, PCs act on 5...

Narrative:

The goblin smith turns tail and runs down the tunnel. While Swilbosh stands and wonders about his social skills ("wasss it me do you think? Perhapsss I need to work on my talking? Or reveal myssself more slowly to thessse little creaturesss?"), Thurinor and Ogirdor pursue the fleeing humanoid just far enough to keep him in sight and to bury both a spear and a crossbow bolt in its back. The little goblin crashes to the floor without so much as a cry and does not get up.

From this new vantage, the ranger and the elf can see that the tunnel goes on for some way, bending out of sight. The floor is smooth but also worn with parallel tracks where carts have long been pushed up and down the tunnel, apparently carrying ore and waste rock from delvings further on. Stonjuz and Andrin catch up with them shortly, alerted by the goblin's shrieking, with Malone and Ozborn not far behind.

Chub, I'm a little confused by the description of wedging the door, as from your previous actions and from the dialog between characters, I had understood you to all be inside the forge area of the mine by this point. Of course, Ozborn can wedge the door, but as I see it, he'd most likely be doing it from inside that first big stone door at the top of the stairs and moving from there through the next door and into the tunnel to join the others. The first door does swing inward, so either wedging or spiking it will work. Just let me know for sure if that's what you intend or if I've totally misunderstood. 8-)

Full map of the area posted below, as you now have a clear picture of how the two mine entrances meet up as one tunnel leading away to unknown depths of adventure. ;) I've placed your relative locations on the map, as I imagine you currently. Corrections? Investigating this area further? Moving on? Using established marching order?

Marching Order - 10’ Wide Corridor/Passage

[SW]
[M]/[OZ]
[ST]/[A]
[OG]/[T]
AbandonedMine-full.jpg
AbandonedMine-full.jpg (52.62 KiB) Viewed 617 times

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#128 Post by Stonjuz »

Into the cave, the dwarf tries to learn of what the mine is, or was. "Iron? Silver perhaps? Shall either be enough to keep us from leaving this mountain?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by onlyme »

Do we have lighting?

Malone sees that the two exists come together quickly, so he feels relief that no one can escape and double back on him.
He will march onward with the group, hoping this leads them back home.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by saalaria »

Except of course it looks there is yet another tunnel leading south to our East, Only..or are we sure that is that a deadend?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Grognardsw »

Thurinor / tunnels

With his torch Thurinor motions the others over to the dead goblin.

"Shall we proceed down this corridor the goblin was fleeing?" suggests the elf prestidigitator. "Ogridor, is there any trail you can pick up?"

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#132 Post by zebediah »

I cannot scout ahead without some light, and that would spoil the possibility of catching any other creatures off guard. says the ranger It will be wiser if we all move together.

Ogirdor checks if the goblin was carrying anything relevant and will be ready to move down the corridor as soon as everyone is ready.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#133 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin is ready to go.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Oz looks at the door he just pinned, then unpins it. "My door pinning experiment worked great, guys..." he says as he joins the others in the tunnel. He spies the skewered goblin. "Ew." he says.

He's ready to proceed, jumping into his normal spot in the marching order.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#135 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh goes to check the alcove/passage to the East:
"we mussst make ssssure no one approachesss from behind usss." he mutters as he walks away.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#136 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Day 7, Mid-Morning: Into the Mine

The party takes a moment to gather itself after the unexpected encounter with the goblin smith. Ogirdor finds a set of smith's tongs hanging from its belt, and 13 coppers in a pouch fashioned from a rat pelt, jingling around with a half-eaten apple.

Stonjuz takes the opportunity to guess at what ores or gems the mine might produce. Taking up a handful of fallen waste rocks, he clearly detects a few telltale rust-colored flecks of iron.

Muttering, "we mussst make ssssure no one approachesss from behind usss," Swilbosh walks away to check the short section of tunnel running east back toward the tunnel entrance. Though it clearly could conceal an ambush or another frightened goblin, he finds little of interest in the short dead-end section running south: some scattered broken tools and mine carts with busted wheels among piles of rubble. The worn tracks of the mine carts go past the dead end and right up to the tunnel opening, clearly the spot where someone has dumped large amounts of waste rock (just as you all noticed from outside). Assured that nothing is waiting to come upon the party from behind, the lizardman rejoins his companions.

"Shall we proceed down this corridor the goblin was fleeing?" suggests Thurinor, the elf prestidigitator. "Ogridor, is there any trail you can pick up?"

To which Ogirdor replies, "I cannot scout ahead without some light, and that would spoil the possibility of catching any other creatures off guard. It will be wiser if we all move together."

Andrin nods his assent to move on while Malone readies himself to march onward with the group, hoping this way will lead them back home. Meanwhile, Oz reports, "My door pinning experiment worked great, guys..." but he trails off as he spies the skewered goblin. "Ew," he says, and falls into his usual spot in the marching order.

Thurinor holds his light high as the party picks its way carefully forward. The tunnel maintains its width and runs more or less straight on, with here a short bend to the left, there a twist back to the right. After what Stonjuz believes to be near half a mile, a nauseating smell begins to assault your senses. The reek becomes stronger as you approach a side passage adjoining the tunnel. The side passage opens to your left, toward the east, and looks wholly the same as the tunnel where you now walk. After twenty feet, it takes a sharp bend to the right/south, beyond which you can see nothing. The tunnel you are in continues on, though bending now to the right, somewhat west of due south, at a guess.

Map coming soon. Having a technical hiccup. (so what else is new, right? :roll: ) In the meantime, actions? Questions? Plans?

Marching Order:
Marching Order - 10’ Wide Corridor/Passage

[SW]
[M]/[OZ]
[ST]/[A]
[OG]/[T]
EDIT: Added map...
mine_SidePassage-1.jpg
mine_SidePassage-1.jpg (17.32 KiB) Viewed 569 times

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#137 Post by saalaria »

"What issss that sssmell? Normally I don't sssmell much but that isss ssstrong - we sssshould proccceed with caution. It tassstesss jussst ass bad I can asssure you!"
The Lizardman weaves his snout around in the air, flicking his tongue in and out - clearly trying determine source of the stench.

I am assuming lizardmen don't smell too well and use their tongue instead

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#138 Post by Sir Clarence »

Wrinkling his nose because of the smell, Andrin says: "Even though it stinks badly, we should probably check that side passage first before we continue with the main tunnel. I wouldn't want anything to surprise us from behind."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#139 Post by Stonjuz »

Sir Clarence wrote:Wrinkling his nose because of the smell, Andrin says: "Even though it stinks badly, we should probably check that side passage first before we continue with the main tunnel. I wouldn't want anything to surprise us from behind."
Stonjuz is in total agreement with this and seems shocked a bit that the party thinks it has not been taken care of already.
:shock:
"No, nuthin to surprise us from behind......'çept civilization"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Stonjuz wrote:
Sir Clarence wrote:Wrinkling his nose because of the smell, Andrin says: "Even though it stinks badly, we should probably check that side passage first before we continue with the main tunnel. I wouldn't want anything to surprise us from behind."
Stonjuz is in total agreement with this and seems shocked a bit that the party thinks it has not been taken care of already.
:shock:
"No, nuthin to surprise us from behind......'çept civilization"
"I also agree with Andrin" says Ozborn. "I'm going to take a wild guess here that the smell is the natural aroma of goblin living quarters. ...I hope they don't keep pets.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”