Action Thread #10 - The Mine

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread #10 - The Mine

#181 Post by onlyme »

ok, i accidentally never switched back from bow to halberd according to the posting history. So, Malone has his bow and arrow ready. just waiting to get better clarification as to the angle/danger of firing upward.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Grognardsw »

Thurinor arms his crossbow for the impendimg volley.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#183 Post by Sir Clarence »

Before he puts a bullet in his sling, Andrin casts faerie fire and traces out two of the little critters in a purple glow to make them easier hittable.

If there's still time for him, he then shoots a bullet at one of them.

To hit with sling, adding faerie fire: [1d20+3] = 5+3 = 8

Sadly a miss, I fear....

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#184 Post by Stonjuz »

"Ok, all together now. Yes, Yes, spells first, ok, here we go. Everyone ready, You take the one over there and Ill..."
The volleys begin before Stonjuz finishes his orders. He fires his bullet in haste to catch up with the others.
to hit w/sling bullet:thaco 21 [1d20] = 14 dmg s,m [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2 dmg L [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by onlyme »

Malone backs off several feet to prevent the richocheted missiles from hitting him.
He volleys two arrows, knowing the bat looking things arent going to care who shot and who didnt.

To Hit with shortbow: [1d20+2] = 7+2 = 9, Dam(s/m): [1d8] = 2, Dam(l): [1d8] = 8
To Hit with shortbow: [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17, Dam(s/m): [1d8] = 1, Dam(l): [1d8] = 5
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Grognardsw »

Thurinor lets fly his crossbow bolt.

Crossbow to-hit: [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5; Damage S-M/L: [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2/[1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 :roll: Don't suppose there's a big bonus for hitting a sleeping opponent?

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#188 Post by saalaria »

Having no missile capability, Swilbosh stands ready to receive the inevitable return onslaught from the critters with his battle axe.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#190 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Day 7, Noon: Surprise Segment - Like Shooting Bats in a ... Cavern?

Note: I should have been more clear that, with just 1 segment of surprise, you all get one free attack each. I'll be generous and take your best roll for the surprise segment. You can then each decide whether to carry the remaining rolls over for round 1 attacks or to roll anew, but you have to take all or nothing. If you take the roll that hits, you also have to take the roll that didn't...

The party with quick nods and whispers decides to take advantage of the creatures hanging upside down among the stalactites. Spreading out, they loose a volley of arrows and bullets.

But first Andrin begins casting a spell to outline three of the creatures in colored flame. (By my reading, you can light up three of them; it takes 3 segments to cast Faerie Fire, so the spell will not take effect until segment 2 of round 1; we'll just pretend that attack roll didn't happen and you can roll a new one for your next attack...)

Stonjuz hurls his bullet and is rewarded with a satisfying thunk, and one of the creatures falls to the cavern floor, dead (2 damage). If anyone was unsure, all can now plainly see that these are giant bats, the like of which you encountered earlier in your mountain travels.

Malone fires an arrow that just bites into the wing of one of the bats but does not fell the creature (1 damage).

Ogirdor fires his arrow and skewers one of the bats (6 damage). The thing lets out a piercing cry and falls shuddering to the cavern floor.

Thurinor lets crossbow bolt fly, but his aim is off; the bolt hits only stalactite and then clatters harmlessly back to the stones.

Ozborn's arrow flies true and mimics the effect of his ranger friend's skillful display, another bat falling stoneward to fly no more (5 damage). All told, three giant bats lay dead at the party's feet.

Meanwhile, Swilbosh hefts his axe and prepares for the dive-bombing onslaught he knows will come in response for upsetting the bats' peaceful rest. Indeed, the remaining bats -- a dozen at least -- can already be seen baring their pointy teeth and spreading their wings to launch airborne. Their piercing, whistling cries begin to echo through the cavern...

I need actions for Round 1 next. Remember, you can use rolls that didn't get used during the surprise round (just copy and paste them into the new post), but it's all or nothing: no picking a good roll and leaving a bad one...

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#192 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin lets loose a sling stone against one of the glowing bats.

To hit with sling, adding faerie fire: [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#193 Post by Stonjuz »

"Well, that didnt go as well as planned, but improvise, yes? And dont be swingin' at the dried-out carcass on me back"
Stonjuz prepares the staff to meet the incoming bats.
to hit w/Staff (2 hand): thaco 20 [1d20] = 14, Dmg (s,m) [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7, Dmg (L) [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by onlyme »

After getting off a quick arrow shot, Malone switches over to his trusty halberd, ready to slice or pierce any bat that comes his way.

If he can get off an attack in round 1 after switching, To Hit with Halberd: [1d20] = 9, Dam(s/m): [1d10+6] = 10+6 = 16, Dam(l): [2d6+6] = 12+6 = 18 not that it matters...

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#195 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh's eye doesn't leave the beasts for one minute. He isn't going to lose his other eye to another flying critter!

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#197 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Day 7, Noon: Bat Swarm!

Initiative:
Party Initiative: [1d6] = 1; NPC/Monster Initiative: [1d6] = 5

Monsters win initiative and act on segment 1; the party acts on segment 5.
Narrative:

After suffering the party's unprovoked attack, the bats leap into the air, winging this way and that, their high-pitched whistles guiding them and keeping them somehow from running into stone or each other, the noise of their flapping wings disconcerting at the least. (Note: victims of bat attacks determined randomly.)

While a flurry of other bats moves in wider circles in the air about you, five of the bats attack, harrying you about your heads and shoulders. One flies near Andrin but its fangs find no purchase. Giant bat attack: [1d20] = 9; Dmg [1d2] = 2 Two others whiz by Ozborn but fail to get near enough to do any damage. Giant bat attack: [1d20] = 10; Dmg [1d2] = 2; Giant bat attack: [1d20] = 4; Dmg [1d2] = 1

The fourth, however, lands on Stonjuz and sinks its fangs into the dwarf's arm.Giant bat attack: [1d20] = 17; Dmg [1d2] = 1 Likewise, the fifth harries Swilbosh, biting the lizardman on the shoulder. Giant bat attack: [1d20] = 19; Dmg [1d2] = 1

The party then counterattacks. "Twang!" says Ozborn's bow, and two bats fall skewered to the stones, one that had been flying in a wider arc around the party. A bullet whirled from Andrin's sling takes down another, the druid's faerie fire proving useful indeed in the dimly lit cavern.

Stonjuz shakes off the bat that bit him and promptly smashes the thing senseless with a sickening crunch from his staff. Swilbosh tries to duplicate Stonjuz's success, but apparently the fluttering bat wings have the lizardman a little rattled, and his axe swings wide of the mark as he fails to remove the bat that has latched onto him with its teeth. Swilbosh, battle axe: [1d20] = 5; dmg [1d8+2] = 1+2 = 3 (Rolled this for you, Saalaria, as it only made sense that Swilbosh would attempt to attack in some way; sorry the result wasn't better!)

Thurinor lets loose a bolt from his crossbow and downs the other faerie-lit giant bat with a satisfied grin, while Malone, last of all, changes to his halberd and slashes at one of the bats flying in the wider circles around the party, but misses. He can tell that the circles are getting smaller, and that another half dozen or more bats are zeroing in on the party.

Describe your actions for round 2 and make any necessary rolls. Of the five that attacked this round, only one remains, latched onto Swilbosh (don't worry, it doesn't get to automatically suck the life out of you like a stirge but must succeed on another attack to do more damage).

Also, apologies for another delay in updating. Life just isn't letting up right now...

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#198 Post by Sir Clarence »

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by onlyme »

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#200 Post by Stonjuz »

Staff (2 hand): thaco 20 [1d20+1] = 10+1 = 11 Dmg [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6
Thats it.We gots 'em on the run now boys. Watch this. Hmmph. Never mind.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”