Neverwinter Woods - Spring 1358 DR

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Neverwinter Woods - Spring 1358 DR

#201 Post by Computer +1 »

Food is Darkstar's simple reply as he begins to follow the trail. The bright red blood suggests that he hit at least one lung, hopefully both. He will track the deer and kill it, thankful to the Lady of the Forest for providing them with sustenance.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#202 Post by Alethan »

Greystone follows his cousin's lead. But while Darkstar is intent upon following a trail of blood, Greystone remains vigilant about watching for enemies.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by hedgeknight »

Darkstar and Greystone follow the blood trail through the laurel thicket for about twenty or thirty yards...until they suddenly find themselves in a much clearer part of the forest. But instead of finding the doe lying dead...they get an unexpected discovery...

The doe is standing facing them, much like it was when Darkstar shot it. But instead of a real deer, it is translucent and shimmering, with multiple tiny globes of light trailing away from its body. There is no evidence of the arrow or that it is even injured. And where its blood dripped on the forest floor...there grows thin vines, strong and yet beautifully green...even as they rapidly entwine the ankles and legs of the wood elves. Their entanglement is not restrictive, merely comforting. Jasmine and honeysuckle burst into bloom from the vines, their perfume a heady aroma that Darkstar and Greystone can't help but inhale. And when they do...the doe begins to shimmer, as does the forest nearby. Fey creatures dance and play in the air all around them and around the shimmering doe...which appears to be standing on two legs now and walking slowly toward them. As it approaches, it takes on the shape of a woman with long hair and a flowing dress.
"I have been watching you," she says, her voice like the thrum of a hummingbird's wings; it fills your mind with visions of dew drops running slowly down the leaves of the trees and falling to the ground. "You have come far, son of Falling Leaves. Your family would be proud could they see you now. And Greystone of the Lynx Clan...do you like my bracelet?"
Image She smiles and walks a little closer and you feel a euphoria like nothing before. "Tell me, my children, do you thirst? Do you hunger? How may I help you?"

Back in the clearing...
Thaleese is still in shock at what she perceives as a senseless act by Darkstar, but as she turns to Purvan to speak her displeasure, she sees a look on his face that halts her tongue. He then points at the spot where the doe was standing and when Thaleese turns to look, she can't help but gasp in astonishment. Where the droplets of blood have fallen, beautiful vines have sprouted, growing rapidly and blooming with jasmine and honeysuckle.

Actions?

I want to give credit for the beautiful artwork. The first is by Anita Gadzinska - check out her page: http://anita-art.deviantart.com/
The second is by Maria > http://maiarcita.deviantart.com/
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#204 Post by Computer +1 »

A quick question, would Darkstar and Greystone both believe this to be the Lady of the Forest? Is this a known aspect or avatar that they would be familiar with through their religion?

I know her usual avatar is that of a unicorn, that is why I ask.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by hedgeknight »

Good question > both of you have grown up hearing tales about the Lady of the Forest. Some are first-hand stories, so are tales for children. The most common manifestation is a unicorn, but others who have said to have seen her, describe her as a young child, a sparkling mist, a ranger in full battle dress, and even a young woman. So yes, you believe this to be her.
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#206 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar enters the clearing and stands shocked. His eyes cannot beleive what is happening before him. Is isn't until the Lady asks is she can help them that Darkstar finally comes to some sense and he drops to his knees and bows his head.
Lady, please forgive my arrow, I meant no offense. I am yours to command, My Lady.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Argennian »

hedgeknight wrote:Back in the clearing...
Thaleese is still in shock at what she perceives as a senseless act by Darkstar, but as she turns to Purvan to speak her displeasure, she sees a look on his face that halts her tongue. He then points at the spot where the doe was standing and when Thaleese turns to look, she can't help but gasp in astonishment. Where the droplets of blood have fallen, beautiful vines have sprouted, growing rapidly and blooming with jasmine and honeysuckle.
"I have feeling that was no mere deer, Leesa. Mayhap not a deer at all!" he offers as he leans closer to examine the beautiful, blooming vines that just appeared. He then looks along in the direction that the two elves departed. "I wonder whether or not we should follow them, though. They are races of the wilds and likely have experience with Fey. Perhaps it's better we wait, unless we get a signal..."
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#208 Post by Alethan »

Greystone staggers to one knee in near shock by what unfolds before him. He balances himself by placing both hands on the ground, inadvertently setting them within the twists and folds of the new vines.

Without thinking, he replies in the same method he has grown accustomed to when using the bracelet, "Our apologies, Great Lady. We... I..." He falters, but tries to clear his mind and continue, "I have found great comfort in your gift, Lady of the Forest. Having a closer connection to life - the trees towering above me and the grass that cushions my feet - is a gift greater than any I could imagine. I hope you've found me worthy to wear it."

Her questions of food and water were either never heard or forgotten by the elven scout.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by hedgeknight »

Computer +1 wrote:Lady, please forgive my arrow, I meant no offense. I am yours to command, My Lady.
"Then I command you to rise...and answer my questions." Her voice has a slight tinge of mirth to it and a smile tugs at the corners of her mouth. And then she walks toward Greystone.
"My friend, Rast, knew it would fit you perfectly. He told me you would be coming...but I knew that already. In his old age, Rast tends to forget who I am." This time she giggles and the sound is like several birds chirping at once. Then she asks, "Are your companions going to join us or are they going to stay 'hidden' in the clearing?"
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#210 Post by Alethan »

Greystone calls back to Purvan and Thaleese and says, "It is safe. You can enter."

He turns back to the Lady of the Forest and replies, this time speaking the words, "We are both weary and hungry, truth be told. Danger seems to lurk around every Duskwood and Shadowtop these days. Being ever vigilant takes its toll... Thank you for your help with the shapeshifters, by the way. It was you I heard, was it not?"

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Greystone calls back to Purvan and Thaleese and says, "It is safe. You can enter." ...
Hearing Greystone's called out status and instructions, Purvan turns to Thaleese. He slings his bow and takes a deep breath. "Okay then, Leesa. Best we not approach with any weapons to hand or in any sort of threatening manner. Follow behind me," he details as he moves into the brush and toward the elf's voice...
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#212 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar rises as he was bid but he cannot find the words to reply. He is in awe that the Lady of the Forest is standing before him. He drops his head and keeps his eyes on the ground, almost afraid to look directly at her.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by hedgeknight »

Alethan wrote:He turns back to the Lady of the Forest and replies, this time speaking the words, "We are both weary and hungry, truth be told. Danger seems to lurk around every Duskwood and Shadowtop these days. Being ever vigilant takes its toll... Thank you for your help with the shapeshifters, by the way. It was you I heard, was it not?"
The Lady of the Forest smiles. "It was indeed. You and your companions performed well, sadly at the cost of some of your brave friends. But the end result was good > the servants of the Beast Lord are a curse upon the Realms. And I fear there is more to come. Something...is in the air; something unnatural and with dark intent. There is a hag at work in the Wood > her exact purpose is unknown, but it cannot be good. And where there's one...there are usually others."

You hear rustling from behind and Purvan and Thaleese appear out of the laurel thicket. Thaleese's mouth drops open at the sight of the beautiful lady standing just a few feet away. And Purvan...well, his quick mind tries to make sense of why a god is having a conversation with a bunch of mortals.
Winter is coming...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by Argennian »

Any thought of stifling emotion is smashed apart like glass on stone when the half-elf sees the Lady of the Forest. He feels both humbled and graced but also fear. Part of him wants to avert his eyes but he cannot. Unless of course she stares him the eye.

He instead removes his hat, revealing his half-elf ears and just stands there near dumbfounded at what he'd never believe if he didn't actually see it for himself.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#215 Post by Alethan »

"Hags?" Greystone asks, searching his mind for anything he can remember his elders have said about such creatures. "You speak of very powerful and cunning witches, Lady... and strong, too." He slowly shakes his head. "Too strong for the likes of us to take on, maybe, especially if there is more than one. Maybe presenting this information to the council when we report on the shapeshifters is the best logical step."

He closes his eyes in thought and, after a few seconds, asks, "Any idea where this hag holes up, Lady? We came across an abandoned manor house the other day, that was crawling with wargs and goblins... the plants I spoke with mentioned a human-shaped presence." He opens his eyes. "A hag in disguise, maybe?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by hedgeknight »

"You have guessed correctly, Greystone. Although I doubt very much the hag hides her true nature in front of the goblins and their worg mounts. The cabin is not her lair > she lives upon the very slope of Mount Hotenow itself, scheming her evil plans from there. She is very powerful...but one day, you will be able to break her. I have dreamed it...and it must be so."

Then the Lady of the Forest walks to each of you and gives you a token of her grace > to Greystone and the silent Darkstar she gives each a single arrow which looks to be fashioned out of yew. "These arrows will dispel any conjured or summoned creature, sending it back to its plane of origin. Shoot true, for they may only be fired once."
She then walks to Purvan and smiles. "Why do you hide who your heritage, young investigator? Everyone has secrets > best to choose which ones are worth hiding and allow the others to fly free." As she says this, she cups her hand under the dripping leaves of a nearby sapling. The raindrops gather in her palm and begin to shine brightly and solidify into a mirror-like object. Still smiling, she places the oval disc into Purvan's palm. "To help you see clearly."
The Lady then approaches Thaleese, who is openly crying and frightened. The Lady speaks to her so softly that all you hear are the birds twittering in the trees overhead. Thaleese hiccups and laughs and nods her head vigorously, wiping her eyes with her hands. The Lady places an acorn in the young woman's hand and then turns away.

As her form begins to shimmer, radiating sparkling rays that curl away from her touching upon and gathering the patches of light in the air, she turns to face all of you once again. "A friend is searching for you...but he will be...delayed in his coming. He follows the will of his god...and when he arrives, he will ask you to do something you may not wish to do. Ah...your journey is just about to begin!"
And her form changes from that of a woman, to a glistening white unicorn, whose mane shines like the dawn. With a shake of her tail, she whinnies and trots into the thicket.
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#217 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar takes the arrow with a bow of his head. He is silent until the Lady begins to leave when he says in a choked voice Lady... is my father at peace?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by hedgeknight »

The Lady of the Forest turns back to Darkstar and smiles. "Falling Leaves...and many others of your tribe runs with my ally and friend, Gwaeron Windstrom, the Master Tracker. Together they fight the Beast Lord and directly serve Silvanus, the Oak Father. If you wish it...I will check in on your father. Is there anything you should like to tell him?"
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#219 Post by Alethan »

Greystone accepts the arrow graciously, makes note of its fletching, so as not to confuse it with any others, then places it in his quiver.

OOC: inventory updated.

He bids farewell to the Lady of the Forest as she leaves, saying,"Thank you for these gifts, Lady. We will do our best to put them to good use in your service."

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#220 Post by Computer +1 »

At the Lady's words all the tension in Darkstar seems to melt away. As tears begin to stream down his face he smiles broadly. Tell him that next time we meet I will give him some shooting pointers he says with a laugh. Tell him I see him I will tell him about his grandchildren's children. Wish him good hunting and true shooting from one who remembers.

Return to “Hedge's Forgotten Realms Adventures”