Action Thread 10

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 10

#81 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar continues her watch and tries to give the others room to maneuver.

Once some of these are cleared up on the left, then maybe we can attack the others on the right from behind...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Argennian »

In a murderously joyous fit of reckoning and release, the teary-eyed hobbit druidess calmly steps up and douses the tree in front of her with her last vial of lamp oil.

"Salvation!" she cries as she lights up the evilly-enslaved tree and steps back to observe the flames of redemption take course.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by Nuke66 »

Al'Zur backs away knowing he cannot take another hit like that. Holding the torch, he throws his last flask of oil before tossing the torch.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by saalaria »

Varkos chops at the next tree, planning to move back next round to let Al light it up:

Longsword [1d20+3] = 9+3 = 12 Dam [1d8+5] = 3+5 = 8

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Zhym »

Wulfgard tosses his second flask of oil at the nearest un-oiled tree.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by tkrexx »

Son of Thunder will continues his attack on the tree-thing.

To hit: [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16, damage with WS spear, large: [1d8+3] = 5+3 = 8

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 7:19 a
Round 4

Al’Zur backs off the flailing branches but hits it with a vial of oil, as Varkos steps over to cover Al’s retreat. Though he applies the proper chopping technique, he barely misses the trees trunk as he hears the elf prepare the torch behind him.

As the druidess adds more oil to the one almost flaming out in front of her, adding more fuel to the fire, the ranger slams his spear into its trunk. He takes out a good section of bark as the tree tumbles backward from the force of the blow – the odd sighing happens again as the branches slowly stop moving.

The newly stoked fire of the tree sends embers up in the air as it fell. The tree behind it, as well as the tree to its west, both back away at this point. They don’t appear to be fleeing but to be waiting out the fire. As the one tree to the west backs up, Wulfgard hits it with a flask of oil.

Blocked by flaming brethren, the maddened trees to the north part of the room don’t attack this round. The oiled up tree in front of Varkos does though, branches flailing. The first bunch of branches strikes him, but he’s able to dodge most of the damage (hey Varkos hasn’t a shield, huh? and Varkos takes 2HPs of damage. The second strike is much less successful and he’s able to avoid all of that.

The one in front of Zafalia is still on fire, the others are flaming out at this point.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (33.7 KiB) Viewed 888 times
Al’Zur is able to throw his torch next round, both he and Varkos have backed into the tunnel allowing only the oiled up tree to come after them. The party to the north will have to enter the cavern to melee with those trees. And the tree that is oiled up will require a To Hit roll to be hit with a burning torch. Someone please roll initiative. Wulfgard still has his lamp for light as well as the glowing moss and lit up trees. Son of Thunder and Varkos get two attacks next round and everyone else attacks on initiative for Round 5. Please declare actions and make the corresponding rolls. Everyone please mark off the torches that get thrown, they are burned beyond the point of usefulness. I’m being liberal with lighting them, because there’s freakin’ flaming insane trees right in front of you, :) , but once you use them to light up the trees, please ensure that they are marked off your character sheets. Thanks!

[/b]HPs: Varkos - 12/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 1/7; SoT - 14/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): Odo; Zafalia; Rake; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 48 minutes OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 21 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-3/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Zhym »

Wulfgard doesn't have a torch, so if anyone wants to light the tree he doused last round, that would be great. Yeah.

He'll attack with his mace.

Mace (THAC0 20): [1d20] = 4, Damage: [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5

Shoulda stuck with throwing things.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by tkrexx »

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Argennian »

Zhym wrote:Wulfgard doesn't have a torch, so if anyone wants to light the tree he doused last round, that would be great. Yeah. ...
"Return to the Mother!" she cries with tears of joy streaming like mini waterfalls through the dirt on her face. Zafalia makes a funny dancing gesture and then tosses her torch at the tree that Wulfgard doused...

Zaf: To Hit, Thrown weapon or object (+3 Dex bonus) [1d20+3] = 3+3 = 6

... or at least attempts to!

(Note to self: no more cry-dancing while throwing torches! :roll: )
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by saalaria »

Varkos will wait for the tree to go up before attacking, ensuring he is out of the way for the torch throw. He then attacks twice:

Longsword [1d20+3] = 9+3 = 12 Dam [1d8+5] = 3+5 = 8

Longsword [1d20+3] = 2+3 = 5 Dam [1d8+5] = 2+5 = 7

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by rredmond »

Gotta double check the map on this one, hoping to update tomorrow. :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 7:20 a
Round 5

Sorry guys, see the OOC thread for a question. Work has calmed a tiny bit. I think I’ll be able to update twice a week at least so that the game can get back up and running.

Al’Zur tosses his torch, lighting up the tree in front of him. As the tree goes up, Varkos attacks once, but is unable to connect. Then the tree swings a bunch of branches Varkos’ way – but the warrior is ready for this and the tree is stymied somewhat from the fire, so both attacks miss. But Varkos can’t take advantage and misses his second attack.

Wulfgard and Son of Thunder see a torch fly way over their heads and fly left of the creatures followed by the tears of the druid. They move forward to attack over the still smoking branches of the felled trees. Son of Thunder is unable to mark the tree with his first spear attack and the flying, crying torch distracts Wulfgard who also misses. The tree swings it’s oily branches toward the cleric. Some of the branches missing, but a bunch gives the cleric a solid thump, knocking him back a step causing 2HPs damage. The ranger is unable to capitalize on not being attacked this round, and misses his second spear attack.

As the fires start to die down (except for the good flame on going by Varkos and Al’Zur) the trees attempt to get closer. The one to the east of Zafalia will be in attacking position next round.

Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (34.63 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Everyone attacks on initiative for Round 6 because everyone gets only one attack. Another tough combat! The tree in front of Al’Zur is fully engulfed in flames. The tree in front of Wulfgard and SoT is oiled but not flamed. I’ve lightened the dead trees, red for the ones smoldering, and the light blue one is the one that was killed without oil and flame. I’m assuming that you are all fighting around and on them as they small obstacles. Wouldn’t call them hazards unless something crazy happens or someone rolls a natural “1” :)
Please make your corresponding rolls with your action calls thanks all. And thanks for being patient with me!

[/b]HPs: Varkos - 12/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 1/7; SoT - 14/25; Wulfgard - 10/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 48 minutes OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 20 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-3/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Argennian »

"Forgive me, friends!" Zafalia cries aloud as she internally chides herself for her poor aim and wipes the crocodile tears from her dirty little cheeks. She dashes forward to retrieve her errantly-thrown torch.

As soon as she recovers it, she will approach the oiled up tree that Son of Thunder and Wulfgard are facing and use the torch to light up the oil. She will make a melee/touch attack versus sacrificing the torch this time, being as it's her last one...

To Hit: touch attack in melee [1d20] = 16

OOC: Ron, figured that you'd need an attack roll if Zaf was going to attempt to light up the tree with her torch and keep ahold of it this time! :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#96 Post by saalaria »

Varkos continues to shield Al from the tree. He attacks the tree:

Longsword [1d20+3] = 2+3 = 5 Dam [1d8+5] = 1+5 = 6

Didn't realise you were down to 1hp Nuke! :shock:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Zhym »

Wulfgard still doesn't have a torch to throw, so he'll attack with his mace again.

Mace (THAC0 20): [1d20] = 7, Damage: [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5
Clearly, Wulfgard is devoted to peace.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 7:21 a
Round 6

I’ll freeze up Rake and Odo for this combat, unless things get hairy, and then they will go back to guard the “camp”. I don’t think they are taking any important stuff, but let me know.

Zafalia runs under the attacking tree and grabs her torch to light up the oiled tree.

Varkos steps fully in front of a hurting Al’Zur. He can’t seem to get in a good attack through the flames. But the tree, as it falls, crackling brightly, has a similar issue. Some of its smoldering branches heating up the tip of Varkos’ nose it gets so close, but no actual contact or damage is done. The tree falls with a crash, but another one is stepping toward Varkos over the now flamed-out tree.

Attempting to attack with his mace Wulf can’t seem to connect. But then the tree goes up in flames! It moans more in anger, than in pain. The flames aren’t as hot as one would expect, seem to have trouble getting going. only 2HPs damage on that one, the least the flames can cause But the tree lashes out with its branches, that haven’t been touched by the flames yet. While initially its attacks are clumsy, it finally strikes home on the ranger of course, SoT is a damage magnet! Take 4HPs damage. But the ranger has the final say this round and attacks…

Meanwhile a tree followed the druidess around, keeping away from it’s now flaming breathren.

The two trees (one in flames) by Zafalia, Son of Thunder and Wulfgar will be able to attack in Round 7. One of the trees in front of Varkos will be able to attack this round, the other will be able to attack in Round 8.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (33.46 KiB) Viewed 810 times
Tkrexx gets an attack, initiative was tied, and he’s pretty consistent so I’m sure I’ll get an action post from him soon. Someone please roll initiative. Son of Thunder and Varkos both attack twice for Round 7 (once at the beginning and once at the end) Everyone else attacks on initiative for this round. Another tough combat! The tree in front of Al’Zur is fully engulfed in flames. At this point only the tree to the south of Varkos is flamed up, and that’s starting to die this round. Which means the other trees are moving in.
Please make your corresponding rolls with your action calls thanks all!

[/b]HPs: Varkos - 12/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 1/7; SoT - 10/25; Wulfgard - 10/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 48 minutes OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 20 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia steps back away from the slower-moving trees and waves her torch over at Varkos and Al'Zur. "Either of you need a light?" she queries seriously and matter of factly.

When she sees Al'Zur looks injured, as well as Son of Thunder being hit by the devilspawn treants, the little halfling druid calls out again. "How about some healing then?"

Regardless of whether any respond or not, Zaf will continue to withdraw away from the trees and try to maintain a safe distance, if she can.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”