Action Thread 18

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Action Thread 18

#101 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard listens intently as Till speaks. When he's done, he looks to Melissa and raises his cup, pausing to take a sip as he listens for Melissa's reply.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote: "Tell us more of these other leaders that reside here in Shard, mistress..."
Alethan wrote:"Would you give us your aid of shelter and information? Together, we can set balance back to the scales."
After making sure there is plenty to eat and drink. Melissa addresses your questions.

You shall absolutely rest and eat here today, and stay the night. The stay, and the nourishment will do wonders for you. As for nature taking it's time, the tree I live in, which is as tall as the Great Tower, grows fast. And it's saplings shall grow fast once placed. Still, it will take some time, but it will be quicker than you think, the old woman winks at the halfling. This Zone of Shard is the only one you can safely rest. It is the only one without creatures of evil, but unfortunately it is the only one with a breach in it's wall. A well hidden and guarded breach, but none of the others have such. But sit back, eat and drink, and let me tell you a bit about the history of Shard.

As you may have noticed, it is currently the home to several humanoid groups. There is a, somewhat strained, truce among these groups, even though they do not normally intermingle. Shard is a large city but unless the city itself is under a general attack from an army or other general nature, the inhabitants will not defend one another from attack. There are small incursions on neighboring
zones, but again it won't raise a general alarm, conflicts within the walls of Shard are generally handled internally by each Zone. Other Zones likely will not interfere.

Shard is segregated into nine subsections, called zones, including the large central tower. Each zone sends a contingent of troops to monitor the front gates, which are considered Zone One. The Shard Cultists are considered the "owners of the city" and they occupy Zone Eight. The cultists lease the zones to others. Currently there are two zones that are unoccupied and available for lease. However, the wererat was an interloper and was not leasing his Zone. There are two general rules in Shard, to help in common defense if the city is attacked by a large force, and that Zone Nine is off limits to all but the cultists.

The occupants of Shard include the Death Spear Gnolls in Zone 2, the Red Stone Goblins in Zone 4, I have Zone 5, the ex-wererat's Zone is 6, the Black Horn Orcs have Zone 7, and the Shard Cultists have Zone 8. Zone 3 (and technically 6) are vacant Zones. All the city inhabitants are fiercely independent and will violently defend any intrusion on their territory.

There is another "inhabitant" of Zone 8, but let me speak of the rings first. As you've seen there's nothing that looks special about the rings, only myself and the inhabitant of Zone 9 know the purpose of those rings, and now yourselves. So I assume that there are rings that are scattered throughout Shard, silver with those lower on the hierarchy and gold with the leaders. I know that there are likely dozens in the shaft of the great tower where Roghan, Zelligar and their men went.

She breaks out a map that she has made of Shard to better show what she’s explaining.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (203.75 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Now the permanent inhabitant of Zone 8, as the cultists rotate their monthly stays there, is an evil naga. Its scales are black with blood red bands, and its human-like head is large and misshapen. It has charmed the cultists into believing it’s some sort of deity of Shard. And the naga requests a tribute of all the gold and silver rings that they can find. I’m sure you’ll likely find all the rings of the Great Tower you need in her lair at the back of the cultists compound. The naga is evil an powerful.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#103 Post by Alethan »

Till listens intently to everything Melissa has to say, then sits back and ponders the information with his hands clasped in front of him, index fingers touching like the steeple of a church.

"Well... so many choices before us, eh, kids? Gnolls, goblins, orcs... and a naga we should probably leave for last, if you ask me. I think," he reaches out and points at Sector 4 on the map, "the Red Stone Goblins seems to me to be the place to start. And it would seem there are only two ways to get into their section - the gate from Sector 9 or the tower outside. I vote for the tower outside, personally..."

He looks at Jeloon and Bruard and Yosef and, yes, even Van, to see what they think.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#104 Post by dmw71 »

Jeloon flashes her canine grin at the mention of pursing goblins. Still reluctant to speak in front of Melissa, the half-orc grunts her support a the idea of seeking out the creatures more foul than even herself.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#105 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard thinks for a moment, then replies to Till Yes, leave the Naga for last. I agree that if we approach the goblins by way of the tower, that we have a greater chance of catching them unaware.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Argennian »

Yosef sets down his drink and studies the map carefully when the druidess produces it and then begins to describe each zone's inhabitants.

"Makes tactical sense to take on the goblins first, Till, so I also agree there. And to avoid that Naga if we can, at least at first," he agrees with a serious nod and look at the others.

The elf then softly taps his finger on the slice to their east. "Admittedly, I had entertained the thought of us going back into Zone 6 and giving it a thorough and proper going over, since the rat king has now been usurped and the zone is freed. I cannot help but wonder if he might have secreted away some other goodies in the places we didn't see and explore. Now that Melissa can commune with the giant rats again, mayhap she could ask them if there is such a place, or if there are tunnels that lead to the other zones?"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#107 Post by Alethan »

Till nods his head in agreement at the idea.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by rredmond »

If you want to go back to the rat 'king' sector, my sources say that he was paranoid and most everything he had was in his lair. If there's anything other than what was with him in his sector, it was value that he didn't know or understand, Melissa responds to you. I doubt there's anything left there.

Sorry all, let me know what I missed. It's been quite a ride from Kayla's surgery to my agency's merger with another. Ah hells, the last few months have been quite a ride since I took over for the division director that was terminated, and held her spot (doing her duties along with my own) open for another to take it. On Monday I should be able to hand over the reigns of those programs to him (he was with the other agency we merged with) and not have to be this stressed or wanting for time. I'm just glad my daughters haven't started calling me "Uncle Ron"! :)

Within the next few days I hope to catch up all my games, and keep this one rolling. Be well guys, thanks for the support and for not flaking out when the DM did!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#109 Post by ToniXX »

rredmond wrote:Within the next few days I hope to catch up all my games, and keep this one rolling. Be well guys, thanks for the support and for not flaking out when the DM did![/ooc]
No worries, Ron. Do what you've gotta do.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#110 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:If you want to go back to the rat 'king' sector, my sources say that he was paranoid and most everything he had was in his lair. If there's anything other than what was with him in his sector, it was value that he didn't know or understand, Melissa responds to you. I doubt there's anything left there.
Is this a pointed deterrent to not waste our time in that piece of pie anymore?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#111 Post by dmw71 »

ToniXX wrote:No worries, Ron. Do what you've gotta do.
This.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#112 Post by Alethan »

After considering their options, Till says, "Lets scout out that tower outside the goblin sector once it gets good and dark. I can see how difficult it might be to get in that way..."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#113 Post by dmw71 »

Jeloon finds her hand instinctively fall to the hilt of her sword at the mention of goblins and she flashes a toothy grin at Till at the suggestion. Still reluctant to speak in front of the druidess unless absolutely necessary, she grunts her affirmation of the halfling's plan.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:
rredmond wrote:... Within the next few days I hope to catch up all my games, and keep this one rolling. Be well guys, thanks for the support and for not flaking out when the DM did!
No worries, Ron. Do what you've gotta do.
+1 We're not going anywhere...

Hang tough & TCB on the job front, brother. All the best to you, young Kayla and the rest of the Redmond Clan.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:If you want to go back to the rat 'king' sector, my sources say that he was paranoid and most everything he had was in his lair. If there's anything other than what was with him in his sector, it was value that he didn't know or understand, Melissa responds to you. I doubt there's anything left there.
Yosef nods in consideration to Melissa as she relates her thoughts, perhaps more reigned in with his previously racing expectations, thumbing the new wand in his belt line. "Well, certainly couldn't hurt to take a look. As you said, perhaps there were items or resources there he did not realize. When we chased him below, time was of the essence. We did not conduct a thorough search of the passages and chambers. I do admit to still being curious about any potential underground passages that might lead away from that sector, even if only a rat could fit," he explains, looking off in the direction of where the giant rat scurried off to. "Now that the rat king is disposed, perhaps one of his former minions could make a quick reconnoiter for us? Any real time details of where we have designs would be of great benefit to our cause..."

Alethan wrote:After considering their options, Till says, "Lets scout out that tower outside the goblin sector once it gets good and dark. I can see how difficult it might be to get in that way..."
dmw71 wrote:Jeloon finds her hand instinctively fall to the hilt of her sword at the mention of goblins and she flashes a toothy grin at Till at the suggestion. Still reluctant to speak in front of the druidess unless absolutely necessary, she grunts her affirmation of the halfling's plan.

Yosef catches Jeloon's unintended reflex and smiles softly, offering a warrior's nod of understanding to the half-orc swordswoman. He then turns to respond the party's master burglar. "Agreed as well, Till. We should approach the upcoming commitments carefully, and hit those goblins hard where it will hurt them most. Any and all reconnoiter possibilities should be taken advantage of to be sure!" he proclaims, looking over again towards where that giant rat crept off to...

OOC: trying not to be too obvious with what Yosef wants to do here! :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#116 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote:
OOC: trying not to be too obvious with what Yosef wants to do here! :)
OOC: well, I'm not really sure what you're trying to hint at, either. Might be easier if he just says what he's thinking. ;)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:
Is this a pointed deterrent to not waste our time in that piece of pie anymore?
You guys can definitely do what you want. Melissa is pretty sure there's nothing there, she looks like she's being helpful in this regard to you. She's just answering your conversation.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote:"... I do admit to still being curious about any potential underground passages that might lead away from that sector, even if only a rat could fit," he explains, looking off in the direction of where the giant rat scurried off to. "Now that the rat king is disposed, perhaps one of his former minions could make a quick reconnoiter for us? Any real time details of where we have designs would be of great benefit to our cause..."
Oh, there are rat tunnels all throughout the city of Shard. That is how I get most of my information, the old druidess smiles, and the were rat expanded those tunnels. Some are so small that you'd be surprised one of the giant rats could fit in them. But the rats can get just about anywhere outside of that tower.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#119 Post by Alethan »

"Maybe if we need a day of rest, we could spend it poking around the ruins there for anything of interest, but I'd rather focus on the goblins, at this point."

Speaking of rest, Till spends the rest of the day getting some much needed rest and preparing for the next leg of their adventure - invading the goblins' sector. He makes minor repairs to his armour and starts to pull out his whetstone to sharpen his sword and dagger, but realizes the magically keen edges of his blades would not benefit from such a common task.

"Melissa, what can your rat friends tell us about the goblin area? Are they concentrated in one particular area? Or spread out in the whole sector? And do they know if the goblins are using the outside tower at all?"

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#120 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:"Melissa, what can your rat friends tell us about the goblin area? Are they concentrated in one particular area? Or spread out in the whole sector? And do they know if the goblins are using the outside tower at all?"
Bruard listens to Till intently, then turns to Melissa to hear her answer. He is in agreement that the goblin sector would be a good place to explore.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”