Action Thread 18

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 18

#121 Post by rredmond »

Ah yes, my neighbors to the west, Melissa says, they do guard their outer tower. It's as old as the others, but in somewhat better condition. Due to their war with the forest elves of the west, they are very disciplined and run their ranks as soldiers in an army. They just returned from a raid on the elves. Their leader, Yigzin the Bloody, is evil and vicious, but has a very organized manner. The outer tower's elevated platform is sturdy to the wall, then it starts to fall to rubble, but they've shored it up somewhat so that it ramps down to their cave. They have built their outpost under the rubble of zone using an underground complex that was there previous to them. It's realtively large and they keep it clean and free of creatures. Thus I can't tell you too much about it, though I can tell you there are around three scores of goblins and maybe a score of wargs in the complex right now. It varies depending on new recruits coming from the tribe, but after a raid (depending on losses) there are about that many there.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#122 Post by dmw71 »

"I can tell you there are around three scores of goblins..." Jeloon makes no effort to contain her excitement over the prospect of clearing out this slice, until Melissa finishes her description: "maybe a score of wargs." The ambitious half-orc, having heard horror stories of the challenges these mongrel, wolflike abominations present, tempers her enthusiasm. She retrieves her whetstone from a small pouch on her belt and begins tending to her blade, preparing it for the upcoming challenges.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#123 Post by Alethan »

"Hmmm..." Till ponders, as he mulls over Melissa's information.

"How often do they raid, then? You said they recently raided the elves - when might they do so again? And how many go out to raid when that happens?"

He looks to Yosef and says, "Maybe we can enlist the help of your cousins to better handle these... somewhat daunting numbers. If we can catch a raiding party outside the walls, then they could be more easily handled."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by rredmond »

I'm not sure how the raids go, or where to find the forest elves, Melissa answers, but they seem very successful, the past few they come back with few losses. The few times I've sent out the birds to follow, the elves seem to be playing a defensive, withdrawing strategy. From what I understand, since the goblins have been using Shard as their base to strike from, they've been much more successsful. They seem to go out at fortnight intervals, though they answer to the chieftain so it's sometimes more sometimes less. The past month or so they've been going out every 7 to 9 days.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#125 Post by Alethan »

"When was the last time they went out?"Till asks, then looks at the rest of the group,"Maybe we have a few days to find these elves and try to coordinate something?"

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by rredmond »

They just returned a three nights ago.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#127 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard nods his head and rubs his chin as he takes in this information. Quite a lot in their warren, indeed. It would be better to catch them outside the walls of Shard. How many goblins are usually in the raiding parties? I assume it's not the entire force. Does the chieftain go with?
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by rredmond »

Oh their chieftain is rarely in Shard. Their captain is Yigzin, he answers to the chieftain and he always goes on the raids.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#129 Post by ToniXX »

rredmond wrote:Oh their chieftain is rarely in Shard. Their captain is Yigzin, he answers to the chieftain and he always goes on the raids.
Bruard continues to think... then says That's good info Melissa. How many are usually in the raiding parties?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by rredmond »

At least two score, and all the wargs generally go. The rest are left back to guard the tower and patrol the complex.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Argennian »

Yosef listens intently to Melissa's report, noting everything she says with great interest. He is definitely thankful that they've crossed paths with this druid, for it is certainly turning out to be much more than a simple boon to them solving the mystery of the disappearance of Rogahn and Zelligar...
Alethan wrote:...He looks to Yosef and says, "Maybe we can enlist the help of your cousins to better handle these... somewhat daunting numbers. If we can catch a raiding party outside the walls, then they could be more easily handled."
Yosef nods to his stalwart halfling companion in his usual elven businesslike manner of consideration. "That certainly makes sense tactically, Till. The only problem is that we do not know exactly where forest elves reside, other than to the west, nor what their numbers and resources may be. Being one of their kin-cousins, I hope they would be willing if we approached them, but we must also consider the possibility that they may not want or be able to get involved. Or," he offers looking down at the map and tapping the goblin slice with his skinny finger, "we could wait for that raiding party to go out and then effect our assault on their quarter. Those remaining within would be a much depleted force and without the leadership of their captain. If successful, we could then lay a trap for their raiding party when they return."

The elf then turns to address the druidess. "Mistress Melissa, you stated that the goblin chieftain does not live here in Shard. Do you know where he does reside, or if he might be here now? I also wonder if you might know anything about about a small caravan that we witnessed arrive here at the city yesterday, right around noon. They came from the west in the direction of the forests, and entered Shard by the main gate..."
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote:The elf then turns to address the druidess. "Mistress Melissa, you stated that the goblin chieftain does not live here in Shard. Do you know where he does reside, or if he might be here now? I also wonder if you might know anything about about a small caravan that we witnessed arrive here at the city yesterday, right around noon. They came from the west in the direction of the forests, and entered Shard by the main gate..."
Hmm, Trade Day is not for another 18 days, Melissa thinks, I'm not certain. Perhaps one of the other groups had something brought in, there is trade with the outside, or perhaps one of the groups have visitors - though those usually come by the outer towers. Each zone very much stays on it's own. Even conflicts within a zone are ignored by the other zones. Staying out of each other's way, helping in the general defense of the city (it is the gnoll's turn to guard now, in two days time it'll be the goblin's turn), and no one is allowed in Zone 9 but the cultists are the only laws of Shard. I try not to seek out the evil that resides in Shard as there is too much. When my saplings grow, it'll all be returned to nature as it should be and cleansed.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:Hmm, Trade Day is not for another 21 days, Melissa thinks, I'm not certain. Perhaps one of the other groups had something brought in, there is trade with the outside, or perhaps one of the groups have visitors - though those usually come by the outer towers. Each zone very much stays on it's own. Even conflicts within a zone are ignored by the other zones. Staying out of each other's way, helping in the general defense of the city (it is the gnoll's turn to guard now, in two days time it'll be the goblin's turn), and no one is allowed in Zone 9 but the cultists are the only laws of Shard. I try not to seek out the evil that resides in Shard as there is too much. When my saplings grow, it'll all be returned to nature as it should be and cleansed.
"With that being said, perhaps the other denizens of this place are not aware of our recent action next door, and in turn our presence here in Shard. If that is the case, we may yet still retain the element of surprise in our next move, if we are cautious. Mistress Melissa, do you know if the disposed rat king was in communication or perhaps in alliance in any way with any of the other residents here in Shard?" Yosef asks curiously.

He waits for her response before once again asking if she knows anything about the location of the goblin chieftain and his residence. "I am still curious about him and where he resides. Do you know his name?"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote: "With that being said, perhaps the other denizens of this place are not aware of our recent action next door, and in turn our presence here in Shard. If that is the case, we may yet still retain the element of surprise in our next move, if we are cautious. Mistress Melissa, do you know if the disposed rat king was in communication or perhaps in alliance in any way with any of the other residents here in Shard?" Yosef asks curiously.
I would be certain that the others do not know of your incursion. For many reasons. For one, the zone was known for being infested with giant rats, no one wanted to go there or be bothered with it. No one in Shard but I even knew of the were rat's existence. For another, the gnolls and goblins sometimes practice vicious wargames, and brawls occasionally happen in the orc zone. But no one pays any mind. Unless it's for the general protection of the city as a whole, whatever happens in each zone, stays in each zone. Other than trade day, there's rarely any interaction between the zones. Occasionally you get a drunk or a thief wandering into another groups zone... it never ends well for them, usually horrific torture before they are slain for the enjoyment of the zone.
Yosef wrote:"I am still curious about him and where he resides. Do you know his name?"
I don't know his name. But I know his emmisaries come from the south. He sends fresh troops on occasion from the tribe. He is outside of Shard and most things don't concern me outside of Shard.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Argennian »

Yosef retrieves his journal, small vial of ink and quill pen from his pack so that he may not only document their successful assault on the rat king but begin noting all of the juicy bits of intel that the druidess is sharing...

Yosef nods and smiles in somewhat satisfied consideration. "Whatever happens in each zone stays in each zone... I believe I like that! Wargames and brawls between them, as well as torture for trespassers, but they will come together for the protection of the city? Interesting... Has Shard ever been attacked by so large a force that this was required? In your tenor, mistress, or from a time before?"

He respectfully allows her to respond before he asks his next question. "I am also curious about this trade day you speak of. Where does that take place, and for how long does it last? Have you ever attended it? What would normally get bought, sold and traded there? You also spoke of outside trade and of groups coming here to visit different zones. Could a trade party just show up on trade day and be let in? If so, would they have to be known in Shard, or know someone here?" he asks excitedly before stopping to take a breath and try and calm himself. Besides, Melissa needs a chance to confront and answer his barrage of queries...

The elf listens patiently as his mind races along trying to consider every possible detail. He writes as quickly as his elf fingers will allow, marking down main topics and planning to elaborating on them later. When finished, he stretches out his cramping hand and digs around in his pack for his pipe. "I must also admit to being very intrigued about these cultists. You said they are considered the owners of the city, and that they lease slices out to others. How much do they charge for this? Could someone just show up here in Shard and lease a vacant zone?"

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote:Yosef retrieves his journal, small vial of ink and quill pen from his pack so that he may not only document their successful assault on the rat king but begin noting all of the juicy bits of intel that the druidess is sharing...

Yosef nods and smiles in somewhat satisfied consideration. "Whatever happens in each zone stays in each zone... I believe I like that! Wargames and brawls between them, as well as torture for trespassers, but they will come together for the protection of the city? Interesting... Has Shard ever been attacked by so large a force that this was required? In your tenor, mistress, or from a time before?"
If you strayed out of your zone and were caught, it'd be highly unlikely that your own tribe would launch a rescue effort... I've never seen it happen.
Since the barbarians there hasn't been an attack on the city in much of any force. Most of the evil humanoids living in the area have a base in this city... so it'll happen, but not before the trees take the city first.

Yosef wrote:He respectfully allows her to respond before he asks his next question. "I am also curious about this trade day you speak of. Where does that take place, and for how long does it last? Have you ever attended it? What would normally get bought, sold and traded there? You also spoke of outside trade and of groups coming here to visit different zones. Could a trade party just show up on trade day and be let in? If so, would they have to be known in Shard, or know someone here?" he asks excitedly before stopping to take a breath and try and calm himself. Besides, Melissa needs a chance to confront and answer his barrage of queries...
Anyone can enter the City if you say you have business here. Then you'd be directed to the zone you had business in. But you'd have to know one of the renters to stay in Shard. You can't just stay in Zone 1 for any length of time without the guards moving you along. Trade day is the first day of the full moon which is 18 days away.
Yosef wrote:The elf listens patiently as his mind races along trying to consider every possible detail. He writes as quickly as his elf fingers will allow, marking down main topics and planning to elaborating on them later. When finished, he stretches out his cramping hand and digs around in his pack for his pipe. "I must also admit to being very intrigued about these cultists. You said they are considered the owners of the city, and that they lease slices out to others. How much do they charge for this? Could someone just show up here in Shard and lease a vacant zone?"
Anyone coud lease one of the empty zones for 400 GPs a month. Pretty good price for a no-questions-asked agreement.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#137 Post by Alethan »

After a long moment of silent thought, Till says, "Well... a raiding party of 40 strong seems like an awfully lot to try and handle with just the five or six of us. Might it be better to attempt a swift attack of those remaining when the next raiding party goes out? That reduces the odds greatly. If we could take control of their section while the raiding party is out, maybe we could lure the rest into the outer tower and control the battle there."

Thinking only slightly ahead, Till turns back to Melissa and asks, "How often do the guard duties shift between the different sectors? And is there any routine to the order of the shifts?"

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by rredmond »

The gnolls have just started their two day stint in Zone 1. Then the gnolls, goblins, cultists and orcs. Everyone posts guards for two days each. If the alarm is sounded in Zone 1, each of the zones send troops for the general protection of the city.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#139 Post by ToniXX »

Lady Melissa, if we were to plan a raid on the goblin sector, could we stay in your area until then? We wouldn't want to impose upon your good graces, but we could use that time to rest up and prepare. Bruard pauses for a moment, looks at his companions, then continues That is, if we do indeed decide on such a raid.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by rredmond »

She smiles and nods. Yes, please do! I'd ask that you respect my shrine behind the tree... especially when I am communing with nature. But otherwise, as you will only hasten the downfall of this accursed city, and you may yet find my beloved, you can stay, rest and eat here in my zone. Please though, you cannot mount any "raid" from my sector. You may leave and enter in another way, maybe from the wererat's sector, but I need no undue attention from my neighbors. I have them cowed right now, but would rather not have to deal with them if they see fit to unit.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”