Chapter 2: You woke up where exactly?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2: You woke up where exactly?

#341 Post by Rukellian »

After given orders to bash open one of the chests, the Lump takes his current sack full of bandit swords and puts on the ground, to alleviate any unnecessary weight when swinging his club. Looking back towards the group, he checks to make sure its the chest they wanted open out of the six and will then proceed to open it through force. "I was wonderin' though. If you alls are going to take the shiny golds and gems with you, do you really need me to carry all of them swords along as well? I think it would be too heavy if I tried hauling a chest and all that all the way back to town..." (The Lump has given you all a kindly reminder that the chests themselves, even when emptied, are heavy by nature. Any hauling of said chests will surely over encumber those who do so, and with that said, also affect the movement rate of the group.)
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by tooleychris »

"And..." Flynn adds from the door, "There is still this nasty business of dead bandits littering the hallways. Anyone coming thru is like to know the gig is up."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell ponders the weight issue as well as the bodies.

Yeah, I dont see hiding the fact we took a little. It may be slow going, but might as well try now while we have the chance. Wont get another one once they do see this mess...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn nods thinking. "We split up. Those who require immediate aid go back to town and summons help for us who remain to guard."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon / treasure room

"Sound logic Flynn," responds Deceidon. "Though I admit, I'm reluctant to put my life at risk for any amount of gold should more bandits show up to face but a few of us. This bandit embroglio is but a distraction to our mission of finding the rogue mage, the crytstal ball, and a way home."

"The mountain holds potential answer to the mystery of the mage. I hoped these tunnels would lead to that."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell tries to plea...
Ah Flynn, if it were just immediate aid, a short holding of the fort would be wise. But, I suspect we all could use a day's rest already. Something is different about this place, and progressing injured aint likely to help.

seriously... with the first aid requirements in the house rules, I think we are going to have to progress and retreat a lot to stay healthy. Basically one hit by any of us could be fatal if a 2nd fight occurs before fully recovering.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon / treasure room

"Aye, better to be safe than sorry. Let's gather what we can and return. The Captain can retrieve treasure, we rest, then explore depths to hopefully the mountain."

"Lump, how is that chest coming? Yes we'll leave all the swords as you suggested."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by Rukellian »

After bashing the lock loose, the Lump stands back and allows the group see what is inside. It is no mound of gems and golden goblets with jewelery and a crown, but instead a few vials of something laying in a heap of hay. Upon closer inspection, three of the vials seem to contain a clear liquid, with a holy symbol etched onto each cork cap. Two more larger looking vials can also be found after digging through the hay. Vibrant red in color, the liquids inside seems to almost sparkle, a strange and bizarre sight to behold. No symbols are found anywhere but are also fastened by corks. Looking back at the list of stolen goods, the group cannot find anything matching the description of what was found, but Deceidon has a good hunch as to what they might be...
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon examines the vials. "Blessed water perhaps, given the holy symbol? As to the others, I've never seen even the finest of wines or liquors give such a sparkle. It seems unnatural, perhaps even...magical."

He whispers the last word. Deceidon hefts one vial in his hand, uncertain if he should smash the unclean bottles of liquid against the wall. He remembers still wanting to talk with Matkinson the reputed magician in the town, who may have leads to their rogue mage and the crystal ball. Perhaps these liquids could prove worth to that degenerate.

Deceidon explains his reasoning for keeping the bottles, then adds: "If these chest contents are not on the inventory list, it would be wise of us to open them now. Perhaps the contents would give clue to our mission. It would be our duty by royal decree to keep such clues. Lump, break open the others."
In a world and culture afraid and dislikeful of magic, I assume I wouldn't trust and use potions. Perhaps healing if I was dying? I wouldn't bother to identify potions, assuming I even know that such can be done.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by Rukellian »

Grognardsw wrote:
In a world and culture afraid and dislikeful of magic, I assume I wouldn't trust and use potions. Perhaps healing if I was dying? I wouldn't bother to identify potions, assuming I even know that such can be done.
Your response was very correct considering the world history and your character's background, but the fate of the vialed liquids is still up in the air, considering that no one else has said anything yet.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by tooleychris »

"If they are clearly not wine, or at the least rum, I would trust it not. Who knows what poisons these vagrants may employ...."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by Rukellian »

Once Whitsell and Gustov gets their say in all of this, I will move things forward. Is it safe to assume that Lump has been ordered to bash any other remaining padlocks on the locked chests?

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by tooleychris »

sounds like it
Flynn goes back to watching the hallway for visitors.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#354 Post by NJWilliam »

Gustov, fighter/thief

Gustov shrugs, "Well, let's see what's in these other chests. I'm more interested in treasure other than gold."
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell is confused by the contents, and eager to return to town to recover. His curiosity wins out, and will watch the other locks get smashed.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by Rukellian »

One by one, Lump noisely swings his club, breaking padlock after padlock. The chests start to yield what was found on the hastily scribbled list, gemstones, silken fabrics, exotic ingredients, even a vintage wine case, but the last chest still remains untouched. Bound shut by an inner lock mechanism, the chest can only be opened by a key, a specially designed key from the looks of how the keyhole has been crafted.

If you guys take most of the goods in the chests, I will get back to you all later with the specifics (numbers and such). One thing is for sure though, you guys cannot carry anything else after this, and depending on how I calculate and distrubute everything, you all might also see a level up in the near future...

All is still quiet in the undeground tunnel. Flynn's frequent watch of the place allows the group enough time to get everything sorted out before heading back to town. This was the agreed upon action, correct? The travel back would be uneventful if that were the case, and some guards will be waiting near the tunnel entrance upon your return.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#357 Post by NJWilliam »

Gustov

Gustov keeps a keen eye out for any knives, daggers, rings, or clothing among the riches in the chest.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Rukellian »

After sorting out the treasure (I will leave it up to you guys to finish that in the OOC thread), the adventuring group makes a trip back to the town to recuperate and potentially gather new information on their current situation. The town guards stationed at the entrance of the tunnel raise their weapons thinking the group another bandit party, but then relax after seeing Lump come out first.

The first thing that the group notices is the overwhelming brightness of the sun that still hangs high in the sky. After being in the tunnels for so long, its only natural that their eyes will need to adjust some. The inn that they are currently staying at, the one right across the street of the tunnel entrance, is but a short minute walk; however, to some members of the group, it feels like hours as with every step they take, the coins they carry jingle and the sacks on their backs seem to bulge bigger and bigger with stuffed treasures. It's almost as if the eyes of every single ex-bandit civilian in town catches a glimpse of their find, hears the jingle of the coin.

As the group enters the Inn, the captain of the town guard, Hal, sits at nearby table, as if he were waiting for the group's early return. He gives a wide smile and puts down the mug in his hand. "Sooo... what do we have here? Find anything for us down there?" The captain looks over one of the group member's shoulders and notices their haul.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn steps wwearily forward.
"Indeed we did make good."
He slings his heavy bag of coin on the table.
"The uncouth culprits laid many a clever trap and a treacherous ambush that nearly cost us all, yet we prevail. "
He pushes his bag over letting coin spill across the table.
"These small bags my comrades have claimed as payment are but a trifle compared to the hoard that awaits you and your men below. I would give it all for a woman, a bottle, and a good nights sleep.
What say you sir?"

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by Rukellian »

The captain roars in laughter in response to Flynn! "A man of fine tastes I see! Keep your payment young man, I suspect that the others in town will be a little more greedy than I." Hal slumps back in his chair for a moment and thinks for a second or two, all the while picking up a gold coin and looking at it. "The bandits have quite the hoard down below you say? I suspected as much, food, coin, drink... tell me though, did you all find anything else by chance?" He ends his statement as he searches the group's faces for something more, something much more important, almost as if he knew something that the others did not...

Return to “Fabricator of Planes: a Rukellian Module”