Chapter 1: A Royal Invitation

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: A Royal Invitation

#21 Post by Rukellian »

Whilst serving the two young men's drinks, he overhears their conversation and his face perks up. "A summons to de court! What a great honor you two be holdin'... surely a blessing from de gods themselves." After thinking about it for a moment, staring at the ceiling with his eyes all squinty like, the propietor then adds: "The drinks are on the house milads, as is your roast hen and potatoes. Persons of such importance should be treated thusly, no?"

----

Shortly after returning with the hot meal, he starts to clean some more mugs and casually comments on Ryder's story earlier. "Slavers huh? Nasty business that is. Tis a good thing that our benevolent king has outlawed it. He be doin' a mighty fine service to his people, I tells you that."
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell thanks the keep, and adds, "Oh, anytime the mighty outlaws such evil, it is a good service, especially to those who need it. Say, once my appointment is over at court, do you know where I might find a honorable smith looking for help?"
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by tooleychris »

"You see?" Flynn smiles to Whitsell. "My mood improves all the more! Gods be blazed but my luck is such! Now I only require a fragrant young lass on my lap and a happy man I could die!"
He tears a piece of chicken between his teeth and chews.
"It's good." he says between chomps.
He forks a potato and points it at the proprietor. "Hast thou news of others so summoned? Dost the royal courier oft meet peoples here for appointment? I wonder what be the reasoning?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Grognardsw »

“When I was a fighting man
The kettle drums they beat
The people scattered gold dust
Before my horse’s feet.

But now I am a great king
The people hound my track
With poison in my wine cup
And daggers at my back!”

Deceidon hummed a bard’s ditty that was dancing about in his head. He walked the streets of New Dathan on his way to the Red Rock Inn. It was good to be home amongst the bustle of the city, though a heavier purse would make the experience more enjoyable. But prospects looked bright, if not puzzling, with this letter of summoning from the King.

“Why me?” wondered Deceidon.“I’ve never thieved the royal treasuries, so I can’t be in trouble. There are better fighters than I, and those with more nimble fingers as well.”

Deceidon dismissed these thoughts as a saucy strumpet salaciously swayed before him.“Sin with me,” she whispered, motioning to an alley.

“Another time, my lovely,” said Deceidon, spying his destination at the street corner. He reversed his cloak to the red side, put on a floppy hat, tightened his purse against thieves, and entered the Red Rock Inn.

He was greeted by the sounds and smells of a busy tavern. He recognized a few people, patrons too of his father’s inn.“Now what?”Deceidon thought, wandering about the tavern on his way to the bar counter. Many were locals, he surmised by the clothing, though there were a fair number of adventurer types judging by dress and weapons. Was that a fey sitting in the corner watching the room? Hard to tell, perhaps a mixed breed. Then Deceidon’s ears perked up as he overheard a conversation between a swashbuckler and a fighter-type that mentioned a royal letter. Interesting… I am not the only one. Likely a group then, with others unknown and about.

Deceidon leapt to a table top with a dramatic sweep of his red cloak, toppling a tankard and bouncing biscuits about.“Hail tavern patrons!” he yelled to arrest their attention. “I am Eric the Red, and I bear important message! All those here who received letter of summoning from King Benagal, please come to me. I bear important news!”

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by tooleychris »

Instinctively Flynn's hand finds the pommel of his thin blade, startled by the sudden outburst. He turns to his drinking companion.:
"Yonder cloaked man with loud mouth be no courier of royalty...or I'm a gnome...He looks more the type the gateman was guarding against. Shall we see why he interrupts fine meal and good conversation? "

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rukellian »

No sooner did the flamboyant performance begin, the owner of the inn sighed deeply and put down the mug in his hand with a loud thud. "Charleson's boy," he muttered in a harsh and clearly annoyed tone. The tavern folk, not completely understanding what just happened, one by one, starts to laugh. "Ahahahaha... oh, that's a good one boy," shouts a random patron. "Now tell us about the uhh.. err and the goat, yeah, the goat with the talking carrot or somethin..." If the rest of the room was not laughing before, they were then. No one seemed to take "Eric the Red" seriously.

Amidst the laughter, the owner of the Inn bent forward a bit and whispered to the two lads in front of him, "is he seriously with you fine fellas? Of all the people that the king could have summoned, I nevah would have imagined that bloke having a fair shot."
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon / Red Rock Inn

"Ah well," muttered Deceidon at the underwhelming response of the crowd. He jumped off the table and made his way to the swashbuckler and fighter at the bar counter.

"Aernyson, my friend,"said Deceidon, with a nod of recognition, to the barkeep and owner."A round of ale for my soon-to-be companions here. I am sure their sword skills are better than my humor."

Turning to the two, Deceidon introduced himself. "I be Deceidon Urshurak of New Dathan. I overheard your talk. I understand we were summoned to the king. Let us drink. Soon enough messenger will arrive and we will learn our king's intent."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Rukellian »

Aernyson sighs and shrugs a bit. "Just make sure you behave yer self boy, no more of that table top foolin around; Don't want to hav ta throw you out like last time and tell yer pa."
The barkeep then walks away and starts to fill up another round of drinks.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by tooleychris »

"Ursherak..." Flynn says more to himself.
"Do I not knowest this name...? he taps his own chin.
"Well in any case I would be obliged for yet my second free drink and welcome your company. More so for news thou mayest have concerning our fore mentioned appointment with the lord."
He finishes his first mug and extends hand in greeting.
"Flynn Ryder at thy service. My drinking companion here be Whitsell. Son of an acclaimed metal Smith."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by onlyme »

Grognardsw wrote:Deceidon / Red Rock Inn

"Ah well," muttered Deceidon at the underwhelming response of the crowd. He jumped off the table and made his way to the swashbuckler and fighter at the bar counter.

"Aernyson, my friend,"said Deceidon, with a nod of recognition, to the barkeep and owner."A round of ale for my soon-to-be companions here. I am sure their sword skills are better than my humor."

Turning to the two, Deceidon introduced himself. "I be Deceidon Urshurak of New Dathan. I overheard your talk. I understand we were summoned to the king. Let us drink. Soon enough messenger will arrive and we will learn our king's intent."

Whitsell holds out his hand and says, "Thank for the drink Deceidon. Name's Whitsell. Glad to meet such a spirited man.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by NJWilliam »

Gustov, Half-Elf Fighter/Thief

Gustov watches, and listens for what patrons nearby him have to say about the commotion.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon / Red Rock Inn

Deceidon drinks his ale and makes small talk with Flynn and Whitsell. They talk of New Dathan, the local weather, woman-folk, food, rumors of magic in the land; tell tall-tales of their own history (at least Deceidon's are tall); speculate on why the king would summon them; and seek common points in their history or who've they've met, perhaps a reason why they are special, but to no avail.

"Where is this messenger already?" asks Deceidon aloud.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Rukellian »

As Gustov listens to the conversations he can pick up on bits and pieces of a few. The patrons are still giddy from the last performance and makes mention of how they know of the flamboyant man, some connections too vulgar when it comes to ladies, too mischevious when it comes to the local merchants, and overall, very mysterious to everyone. Though they may claim to know a lot of this man, they know very little in the end. An interesting fellow to be sure Gustov starts to think.

Taking his attention to another group of patrons, it starts to bare a more unpleasant tone. Under the intoxication of frothy liquids, they speak in predjudice filled and discriminatory tones as they make mention of Gustov's half elven appearance. Though this land may be under a fair and open ruler, the people have yet to change their minds on all things non-human, narrow-minded as ever.

The last conversation is much more interesting though. Talk of slavers, metalsmithing, free drinks, a royal invitation, too interesting to the weary traveler. Either these were all tall tales and big boasts or those adventurers were the real deal.

----

As the events in the Red Rock Inn take place, the weather outside starts to take a turn for the worse. The storm clouds start to darken the skies, winds start to blow, and rumbling can be heard in the background; heavy rain is sure to follow and most of the patrons take note of this and start to leave to their homes and stores. The adventurers also take note of this and the proprietor of the Inn says that he has a few rooms upstairs for such occassions. "Five silver pieces each. Though the meal and drinks were free, I still need to make some coin for this business of mine," he says with a smile. "That, and I don't think a messenger will be coming fer all of yous in this coming weather. Best to sleep it out and meet him when the sun shines, no?"

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by tooleychris »

"A room and bed would sound more fair were a gentleman to have company fairer still. Mayhap the good proprietor knows where such might be procured?"
He places 5 silver pennies on the counter and stacks 5 gold next to it.
Last edited by tooleychris on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell nods his approval, especially after having a couple of strong pints of ale. He hands a gold piece over, and gratefully accepts the change and key.
Kind man, please alert me the moment the messenger arrives. Thank you.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rukellian »

tooleychris wrote:"A room and bed would sound more fair were a gentleman to have company fairer still. Mayhap the good proprietor knows where such might be procured?"
He places 5 silver pennies on the counter and stacks 5 gold next to it.
The proprietor, Aernyson, lets out a deep laugh in response to Ryder's inquiry. "Boy, yer really persistent when it comes to getting that 'company'! Well, I'll tell you this much, if the rain has not driven away the fine lasses, they be still hanging out in the big alley just a few stores down on the left, but you uh... din't here it from me, you hears?" Seeing the Tavern/Inn becoming emptier and emptier of patrons, it would seem that the alley would be the best option for such 'tastes'.

Then after thinking about it for a moment, he looks at Deceidon and shakes his head in acknowledgement. "Maybe this boy can point you to someone fine enough, he seems to be into that sorts of people as well."

Pushing the gold stack back to Ryder, he mentions that the silver is fine enough. "Save the golden glitter for others," ending his statement with a wink. ;)

Handing Whitsell his change and key, he replies with a hearty "Will do!"

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by NJWilliam »

Gustov, Half-Elf Fighter/Thief

Gustov pays for a room for the night and with a nod to the others staying at the inn, retires to his room.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon / Red Rock Inn

“Well,” says Dedeidon to Flynn. “I don’t often court women of the night, but New Dathan has their fair share. The next alley over, as Aernyson said, is the Alley of Red Lanterns. This is for those low on coin, where slovenly trulls, cheap trollops and brazen strumpets work from the Crusty Crabs brothel. For those with heavier purses, there is the Alley of Delight four streets north. There be the infamous Three Tugs and a Twirl, with its saucy tarts and wanton wenches. The nobles however frequent Seventh Heaven, where expensive doxies and haughty courtesans part with your coin, again and again.”

“It has been a long day, so I’ll be retiring now to my quarters,” continues Deceidon. “I shall return to break my fast with you tomorrow morning. Perhaps our messenger will then appear. Good night.”

Deceidon then departs the inn.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn wrinkles his nose and makes a sour face.
"Thy colorful descriptions of desired company leaves such searches less desirable. And I feel not like braving the storms to travel far for such. If I had not thought myself to be for dead only two days before I might not seek such even now. But it has occurred to me that life is short, and possibly shorter than is expected. "
HE sighs.
"Perhaps I shall bless some beauty another night then. Off to bed."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Rukellian »

Whitsell, Gustov, and Flynn all find their time at the Red Rock Inn more than adequate. Though the storm made quite a lot of noise, everyone slept well enough. When the sun starts to shine through the windows of the adventurers' rooms, noise can already be heard from below, the sounds of local patrons most likely. Accompanied with the sounds are delicous smells of food and promises of drink to start the day.

Return to “Fabricator of Planes: a Rukellian Module”