It Starts in a Village in a Clearing - Active IC Thread

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

It Starts in a Village in a Clearing - Active IC Thread

#1 Post by Fearghus »

And so it happens that the Spring Festival brings men and halfling, and dwarf and elf and gnome, together at Allathurion. The evening prior, travelers began to arrive; erecting their tents, both vibrant and mundane, around the village. At sunrise, under a cloudless sky, the merry-making began; but there is a feeling of hesitation among some.

At high-sun, Leothric raises his blade and proclaims, "I say to you good folk, both Lawful and Fair, that at peace we are, and at peace we shall remain. Upon this sword granted by my father, your lord Lorendiac, I swear it!" There is much smiling and applause, especially amid the young girls swooning before the lad; but you catch eye-rolls and murmurs underneath the proclamations of joy. A short time later are dances around the may pole, feats of strength and skill, and much more merry-making.

Lips are loose from the quantity of libations consumed; and comments are overheard as the day draws on.

An old woman complains, "I left a bowl of milk the other night for help with the sewing. When I woke up the milk was dumped, and the thread severed. Nothing but trouble has been happening since those fair folk came out of the wood".

A man says to another, "When closing the shutters the other night I saw a cloaked man wandering the road without lamp or pack. Folk from north and south of the clearing say they seen him at the mounds". His companion replies, "Might be one of them druids. Their ways are strange and they speak with the dead".

"I was dumping the chamber pot this morning and it looked like that magician was crawling through the stones underneath his tower. Why is that folk that are strange have to act so strange?"

A woodlander says to his companions, "No word has come from the descendants of Meadhra. My brother left two mornings past, but has yet to return. I will go for him on the morrow to make sure he isn't bedding some woodcutters daughter". Another woodlander responds, "More like he's bedding a goat!" And they descend into drunken laughter.

A boy says, "Animals have been acting strange they have. There been a mean dog running lose; ravaged a man in the north clearing and can still be heard baying through the night".

Rumor mongering; if the spring festival is good for anything it is that. The sun is now below the horizon and fires are made near the camps by small groups of kin and friends. Drunken revelers are still within the longhouse and about the campfires. The six of you find yourself in the cobbled square between the chapel, tower, and longhouse; sharing stories as you empty the last of your tankards and drinking horns. You happen to notice, as a matter of chance, that the door to the chapel is ajar with the smallest of legs sticking out where something is lying in the doorway
I wish I could say my 4yo made this.
I wish I could say my 4yo made this.
ajar.png (5.2 KiB) Viewed 1442 times

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: It Starts in a Village in a Clearing - Active IC Thread

#2 Post by NJWilliam »

Gutram, Human Ranger

"Well, it seems the priest couldn't hold his liquor long enough to get to bed. What say you we give him a hand finding a proper place to rest?"
Gutram says as he places he quaffs what remains of his ale, places the tankard down, and dusts himself off as he stands up.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Blazeguard »

Eldrek pipes up, "Aye, 'tis best to stay on the good side of the gods, it is. I'll lend a hand." He drains the last of his mug and joins Gutram.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Grognardsw »

Kargoth the Cleric / The Commons

The dwarf enjoys the festivities of the day, partaking a ham and ale breakfast, game and mead lunch and mid-afternoon brisket and beer snack. He chats with his comrades and other townsfolk, telling tales of his homeland and the feats of his god. These are friendly folk for humans, thinks Kargoth.

His trained eye turns to the stone craftsmanship of the chapel, tower and longhouse. I wonder what the mage was looking for among the stones of the tower base? Perhaps moved by the drink, the dwarf shambles over to the tower to more closely inspect the workmanship. Was the mage inspecting the tower for a defect, or was he looking for something? Wth a loud belch, Kargoth searches along the tower base.

Anivar
Tracker
Tracker

#5 Post by Anivar »

Vane slowly moves to follow Gutram and Eldrek, muttering Looks to me he found his last resting place... perhaps he left some coin behind
Ooops...

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by thirdkingdom »

Brezebar the Magician

Brezebar inquires of the woodlanders exactly who the "descendants of Meadhra" might be and where they might dwell. He also approaches the boy to ask about dog and its whereabouts.

Character's close to being done. I'd started on the formatted sheet over the weekend and somehow forgot to save everything I'd entered. So I'm just doing a basic sheet. I'll get Brezebar's equipment up tomorrow.

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Fearghus »

The Allathurion Square - Sundown

Gutram, Eldrek and Vane

You approach the doorway to the chapel. Opening the door all the way reveals a miniature halfling-like creature laying on the floor. The three of you recognize it as one of the fae: specifically, a brownie. The little fellow has the bloody outline of a cruel bite across his shoulder that has bled through this shirt.

The current area is shadowy, but there is illumination from the fire in the square and from candles within the chapel. You can hear the faint mutterings of an old man within the chapel.

Kargoth

The Magician's tower is made of mortared stone with a wood-shingled roof. By your skilled dwarven eye you'd guess it is some ten feet in diameter and nearly thirty feet tall. A search around the base reveals areas of stone in need of repair, but no spot in particular stands out as being a means to get under the tower.
Kargoth's search of the tower base: [1d6] = 3. 1-2 on 1d6 to actively detect traps, false walls, hidden construction, and sloped passages.
Brezebar

The woodlander who spoke of his brother answers, "They are a clan of men intermingled with the elves: known for their poets and healers. They live in the twilight of the Old Wood in the direction of sun comes up. All of their days are celebrations such as this!" He raises his drinking horn to Brezebar before wandering off with his companions.

The boy seems excited to have the attention of an adult, "You've heard of the beast of the north clearing, m'lord?" He continues while puffing out his chest, "The beast runs where the clearing meets the Old Woods in the north. Be wary as he has a pack of bitch that run with him. They used to only take the animals, but they just bit up a man grown. Must have some wolf in him". He nods continuously as he says the last part.

OOC

Kargoth and Brezebar: you were able to conduct your verbal inquiries and visual inspection throughout the afternoon. You are free to to be in company of Gutram, Eldrek and Vane; continue to inspect the tower; or speak with more of the festival revelers. The following image shows general placement of all adventurers if everyone were taking their initial stated actions at the same time.
General placement.
General placement.
theSquare.png (880.35 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
Actions?

Anivar
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by Anivar »

Vane bends down and begins to examining the brownie, starting with its vitals.

Am I able to discern the animal that bit the brownie from the animal trainer secondary skill?
Ooops...

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by NJWilliam »

Gutram, Human Ranger

Seeing the wound on the brownie, Gutram scowls, draws his longsword, and looks for signs of tracks about the area, both the brownie's and anything elses.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by thirdkingdom »

Brezebar the Magician

"Hush," Brezebar whispers, "I like this not! The muttering I hear from within the temple sounds, to mine ears, like the crazed susurrations of a deranged cultist worshiping some dark and ancient god! No doubt the biting to death of magical forest creatures is part of the ceremony. We must proceed with caution!"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Grognardsw »

Kargoth / Commons - Temple

"Bah, nothing here of interest," grumbles Kargoth as he finishes his examination of the tower base. "Who knows what the magician was searching for?"

The dwarf returns to his companions. He feeds his war dog Drog some scraps under the table. Kargoth is finishing a whole pie while the the three investigate the body inside the temple door. He finishes his last bite, wipes his mouth with the back of his hand, adjusts his tightening belt, and breaks a mighty wind. "Ah...ready for more, but lets see what the lads have found." The dwarf and his dog then join Gutram, Eldrek and Vane as they walk into the temple proper.

Anivar
Tracker
Tracker

#12 Post by Anivar »

Vane hears Kargoth approach with his "mighty wind", covers his nose and says Well... if the brownie wasn't dead before, it sure is now
Ooops...

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Of Thrashed Brownies and the Mutterings of Old Men

#13 Post by Fearghus »

The assassin checks the vitals of the creature and discovers it lives, though it is unresponsive to the inspection. The bite is unlike any animal maw Vane has encountered, but it bears resemblance to the teeth marks children leave upon each other in rough play; except these little teeth marks have two fang puncture wounds and a thick, sap-like, saliva around the bite.

Meanwhile, Gutram readies his blade and inspects the area for tracks. The soft step of the brownie left nothing discernible in the grass, but there are a few oily, three-toed prints on the stone near the brownie. There is no trail left by those steps, as if whatever left them fell upon the faerie.

Brezebar hears the mutterings turn into a speaking tone. The voice is raspy and aged, "Be away, you are not welcome here". There are a few labored breaths and the sound of crumpling parchment, "I will never agree to such terms".

Kargoth steps past the group as they listen and inspect around the brownie. Upon entering the chapel he finds himself in a circular room ten feet across and it opens into an even larger circular room stretching 20 feet across. On the far side of the large room is an altar on top of which are two candles. You can tell there is another small chamber to the south-east, opposite the spiral stairs. The large bonfire provides additional illumination in to the chapel, but there are still many shadows within.

All
Suddenly, the lot of you hear a voice cry out in pain from within the chapel. "Ah!"
Current view
Current view
currentView.png (949.93 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
Actions!

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by thirdkingdom »

Brezebar the Magician

"Aha!" he whispers hoarsely upon hearing the scream. "It is as I feared! No doubt some fell beast is being summoned within the confines of this hallowed church! After you, my doughty friends, let us face this danger head on!"

Brezebar will advance only after some of the stouter warriors enter the room.

Anivar
Tracker
Tracker

#15 Post by Anivar »

Vane gasps It lives!, obviously surprised, while inspecting the brownie. Upon hearing the cry from inside he whispers loudly We are not alone..., readies his bow, nocks an arrow and steps inside the door preparing to cover Kargoth should he need it
Ooops...

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Blazeguard »

Eldrek draws his sword and boldly enters the chapel, "Ho! Identify yourself before we strike you down for felling this defenseless brownie."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Grognardsw »

Kargoth the Cleric / Temple

"By Clangeddin’s cock, what manner of deviltry is about!" shouts the dwarf, his adrenalin rising. He readies Godwrath his war hammer. Drog growls, the hair on his back raising. Kargoth peers into the shadows, trusting his infravision to cut through the gloom if any living beings lurk.

Kargoth notes that his fellow dwarf Eldrek has stepped into the room, proclaiming similar intention. He catches the gasp from Vane that the brownie still lives. I'll have to heal the Brownie with Clangeddin's mercy, and question him after we sort this out, thinks Kargoth.

(If Kargoth's infravision does not see anything in the shadows you described) - "That shout must have come from the chamber yonder, around the spiral stairs," says Kargoth to Eldrek and the others. "Let's quickly to it! Drog - seek!"

Anivar
Tracker
Tracker

#18 Post by Anivar »

Vane shakes his head and lets out a long sigh Dwarves...
Ooops...

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by NJWilliam »

Gutram, Human Ranger

Gutram stays by the door and brownie a moment, making sure nothing is following them in, before quietly following after the loud dwarves.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

All In!

#20 Post by Fearghus »

Preceeded by the barking dog, the group of men and dwarves rush into the chapel. Rounding the spiral stair they face into the circular room adjacent to the entry chamber. The sparse furnishings include a simple bed, a small table on which a single candle provides faint illumination, a stool for sitting, and a trunk at the end of the bed.

A man in simple brown robes is fallen across the bed; his feet on the floor and his head against the stone wall. The friar appears to be succumbing to a vicious bite that has torn his nose and cheek, and an impish creature with bat-like wings clings to his chest. The winged beast turns as the lot of you rush in, exposing its hideous, blood covered face. Hatred and anger flashes across its cruel features, but no sound escapes its fanged maw.

The creature looks up to the small window in the friar's chamber; its intention is flight, not fight. Unfortunately for it, the group is first to act.
Gutram's Scan for followers [1d6] = 4. Nothing unusual reveals itself.

Initiative: Impish Creature [1d6] = 4.
Party Initiative: [1d6] = 4. Everyone in the party has a +1 modifier to initiative, so the party wins!

Code: Select all

Friar|Imp

Window                           Circular Stairs

Eldrek | Gutram
          Kargoth | Vane
               Brezebar
Actions?

Return to “The Allathurion Chronicle”