Good D&D Music

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Good D&D Music

#22 Post by Alethan »

I try to start off every session by playing this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

Gets everyone in the right frame of mind for adventuring and swinging swords and killing things.

At least, everyone seems to get angry all of a sudden...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Almost anything featuring a mellotron immediately screams "D&D" to me. So lots of krautrock in my game: early Tangerine Dream (Alpha Centauri, Zeit & Atem), Amon Düül II (esp. Yeti & Dance of the Lemmings) and Popol Vuh (the score to Aguirre: Wrath of God, Einsjager & Siebenjager).

Also for that Conan/Kull/Bran Mok Born feel, you can't beat Dopesmoker by Sleep.
Failure is always an option.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Inspirational Music for DnD

#24 Post by Rukellian »

I like to listen to music when playing characters in my games, creating characters, just playing DnD in general. The right kind of music can get me into the right kind of mood, and this is important when playing certain character styles, each one with their own personality.

For example, I like listening to this piece by Globus called 'Take Me Away'. I always imagine myself playing as an epic paladin, or cleric, one of the last of his order, who has to carry out his final mission to save this faith and perhaps all of humanity. He is not alone in this journey and is accompanied by many who bear shields and sword, all riding under the same banner as his...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udTPgqbqMwk

I wonder if you guys also listen to music to help get you in the mood for DnD, perhaps enhance it as you dive into your characters?
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

GTan_Baq
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Inspirational Music for DnD

#25 Post by GTan_Baq »

I like listening to Midnight Syndicate. They have an album named "Dungeons and Dragons" thats very good. But any music from them is good gaming-mood music. Also the sound track to the D&D game "Pool of Radiance" is great gaming music. Another group to look for on youtube is Nox Arcana. They have kind of a gothic feel to their music.
The optimist, "The glass is half full."
The pessimist, "The glass is half empty."
The gamer, "I drink the water; what happens?"

Greed shall be thy undoing!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by rredmond »

Yup, rarely during games, but if I'm doing chargen alone, or game prep, this helps:

Click on the picture for the full soundtrack on YouTube.

--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#27 Post by Alethan »

Sometimes when I'm trying to prod the rest of the group along to get out of a posting rut, I have this going through my head...

http://youtu.be/z5KYZ74OAak?t=1m2s
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#28 Post by ToniXX »

Rukellian wrote:I wonder if you guys also listen to music to help get you in the mood for DnD, perhaps enhance it as you dive into your characters?
I'm listening to music constantly, no matter what I'm doing. I tend to like music that is atypical of other grognards.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by MonkeyWrench »

I don't exactly listen to music for DnD, I listen to music but nothing specific to my gaming character or mood.

I do write though, I used to write stories as a kid as a creative outlet. I got into middle school and stopped for some reason, probably thought it was lame or something.

After starting DnD and this PbP I do actually write stories about the characters I make. It seems one hobby revived the second hobby, both as creative outlets :lol:
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#30 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Awesome thread idea Ruk!

Although I like a lot of different genres of music, I can remember listening to lots of Metal \m/ while playing and writing back in the day. Sure, it's a little cheesy but it was great inspiration for a 15 year old troublemaker.

Ever hear of these guys?
http://youtu.be/yhhDbaah9DQ

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by rredmond »

I've been listening to (and watching) this a bunch:

http://youtu.be/V46DQzKzh7Y

It's an excellent cover of Thick as a Brick, the whole 45 minute song. :)
The singers voice is too pretty and the flautist rushes some at the beginning, but they are both excellent, and this cover is fun.

And Jethro Tull is always inspirational for D&D! :D

--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by rredmond »

Not sure I'd say "inspirational" :D but these guys are absolutely old school D&D. Split Lip Rayfield is so unapologetically D&D I love it!

Deck of Many Things (with some dicing and a for real 1e DMG at the beginning :D)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTZWl6fPN-E

Shout out to Gary Gygax: "wherever you are!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMh6uZr ... .be&t=4776
:ugeek:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Rex »

We recently added the Hu album "The Gereg" to the music we play when gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tqba-j ... AfpSk75tkQ

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by rredmond »

Nice! I know them, they're the Wolf Totem group! Dig them!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Rex »

Yup, great RPG music. My wife loves that CD.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#36 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I've never used any music with my games in FtF and none of the DM's that I can recall ever used music or ambiance of any kind really. Though I do like the stuff Battle Bards has, I just don't want to drop the money on it. I have only purchased the free stuff they put out. Just haven't had a place to use it yet.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Rex »

I don't purchase music for specific module or situation or anything like that, just have music that I think is cool for playing when playing, sort of in the background. Rainbow, Dio, the Conan sound track, the most recent King Arthur movie sound track, some pagen/norse stuff like that.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by spanningtree »

Good stuff. I like to play something ambient, non disruptive to the game. One that I like a lot is the soundtrack to an old game called Homeworld. Ancient but super fun space opera and strategy. Back in the day you could buy the soundtrack as a separate CD but I am unable to find it to post now. Have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LRTwMc01k
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#39 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Problem we always had back in HS gaming days was if we put on TV we'd get distracted from game play and watch that. Without it we would pay attention but get sidetracked sometimes just catching up and shooting the breeze. We sometimes would play whatever music we generally listened to as background noise but sometimes get distracted by it and not pay attention to what was going on in game. Hit or miss really. Nothing like that one episode of The IT Crowd where they played D&D and had Moss with audience which was cool.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#40 Post by tarlyn »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Problem we always had back in HS gaming days was if we put on TV we'd get distracted from game play and watch that. Without it we would pay attention but get sidetracked sometimes just catching up and shooting the breeze. We sometimes would play whatever music we generally listened to as background noise but sometimes get distracted by it and not pay attention to what was going on in game. Hit or miss really. Nothing like that one episode of The IT Crowd where they played D&D and had Moss with audience which was cool.
For Ravenloft, having uber spooky music and creepy sounds makes the game a whole lot more attractive!
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

Return to “General RPG discussion”