OOC and General Discussion

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC and General Discussion

#21 Post by thirdkingdom »

Fearghus, did it sound as if the cry from the magician came from the cellar? Because at this point I would suggest finding the magician is our highest priority, followed by exploring the cellar. But perhaps I'm fixating.

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by Fearghus »

thirdkingdom wrote:Fearghus, did it sound as if the cry from the magician came from the cellar?
Yes. Definitely from the area of the current melee. It would not be far fetched if Brezebar found it too convenient that the cellar was left ajar. The only thing against someone hiding down there is the lack of light.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by thirdkingdom »

Fearghus wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:Fearghus, did it sound as if the cry from the magician came from the cellar?
Yes. Definitely from the area of the current melee. It would not be far fetched if Brezebar found it too convenient that the cellar was left ajar. The only thing against someone hiding down there is the lack of light.
Ah. I had thought the cry sounded from further away. Then yes, let us investigate the cellar.

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#24 Post by Fearghus »

My pacing was off for this next encounter, so my apologies for wasting your time. I am adjusting my notes and the plan I have for events so as to have a better flow. Bear with me.

The summoning circle is kicking off, and the party will be able to act during the surprise round. Within the circle it appears as if a pit opens under the circle. Seven figures appear to be ripping out of the void within the circle.

I have everyone's general intent. After the encounter within the cellar I will simply continue with your intended course of action. You are welcome to restate your character's intent if the outcome of the combat gives you other ideas. But for the most part Kargoth and Brezebar inspect/destroy the circle, Gutram inspects the corners as Vane inspects the boxes and barrels, and Eldrek concentrates on the floor. Still waiting on word for Petyr, but no rush.

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by Fearghus »

I will be travelling the next few days and will not have the next post until Sunday, or Monday, evening.

Anivar
Tracker
Tracker

#26 Post by Anivar »

have a safe trip!
Ooops...

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#27 Post by Fearghus »

Thanks! We had a good trip. Went to the Bristol Ren Faire in Wisconsin. I love seeing all of the people dressed up, and eating the way to expensive food.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Grognardsw »

I am open to how other old-schooler's handle charge. For now I just applied a +1 to hit and -1 to AC for the changing attacker.
That's fine by me it gets the spirit of it. I usually go by DMG 1e which gives +2 to hit for charger and automatic first attack, but also no AC Dex. bonus for charger. If the victim has a longer weapon (e.g. spear) then they go first, possibly "setting" their weapon against the charge and doing double damage to charger. You can only charge once in combat, with victim minimum 10' away.

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#29 Post by Fearghus »

Thanks, Grog. I have been doing a lot of reading at the odd74 boards and trying to get a feel for combat and how to ajudicate the various combat options.

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#30 Post by Fearghus »

thirdkingdom,

These tunnels are not at all complex. Brezebar is fairly certain that the current location is under the Chapel cellar, and both Eldrek and Kargoth are certain of that as well (assuming there is some dialog among the party). The other passage ascends and does seem to progress in the direction of what would be below the Magician's tower. It goes farther than light from the lamp or torch provide, but it is a safe assumption at this point.

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#31 Post by Fearghus »

Blazeguard,

Each of the duergar had a light crossbow, bolt case, and 10 bolts. This is in addition to the armor, clothes and light picks.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by thirdkingdom »

Hmm. I had assumed that the passage would lead into the Tower, instead of further under the earth. I therefore propose that we, assuming we survive the encounter, return to the odiferous room and remove the stones from the wall, in the hopes that it leads up into the Tower itself.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Grognardsw »

I concur, assuming we all survive the morlock attack. Brezebar it may be a good time for Sleep spell, and get the duergar so we can question him. There is a dark plot unfolding with them.

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#34 Post by Fearghus »

Not a problem at all to head out. Once the encounter is resolved I'll move the party back into the chamber under the tower and have the stones removed.

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Fearghus »

thirdkingdom wrote:Okay, I'm confused. I thought we slew the magician already. Was the one we slew the same one rooting about his Tower, or is that the one before us now? Do they look similar?
The magician that was slain does not look like the one standing in the longhouse. The slain magician and his duergar companions still littered the floor during the exit of the tunnels. The robed man before you is groomed with an alert look to him, though he is advanced in age. The one that fell to the arrow below had a harsh and unkempt look to him.

I am referencing the Allathurion thread below.

I intentionally glossed over a lot of the background for the sake of getting to a point to roll dice. For those interested in exploring character background, humans are encouraged to be from Allathurion. This can mean either the village itself or from the surrounding hamlets in the grassy space. Additionally, it can mean you are one of the people of the wood. Non-humans are automatically assumed to be people of the wood. The difference is in outlook. Although most humans are neutral, Allathurion's leaders are lawful, and they follow the Light (symbols are the sword and triquetra). The dark ways of the wood are not necessarily evil or chaotic, it doesn't even mean non-lawful (as Kargoth prooves). Those of the woods do not see their ways as dark. One could use a similar outlook of Abrahamic religions and pagans. Not to get into religious debate as this is a really high-level gloss-over.

Brezebar can be from Allathurion and have even studied with the resident Magician. He could be from the outlying hamlets and perhaps self-studied. He could be one of "those folk" form the woods and learned from the elves or someone else. If from Allathurion then he would have known it was peculiar for people to say the Magician was burrowing under his tower. Brezebar might know the wizard doesn't have a cellar, though that didn't stop the deep dwarves from burrowing under there. Brezebar would recognize the Magician with Leothric, but the identity of the one that was killed deep under the chapel is unknown to him.

I purposely started off with everyone being out-of-towners, so nothing was really known. There were no names to faces, etc. I enjoy character background and character story-arcs so I am open to backgrounds being tossed in, especially since we are still so early in the game. Since we are at a time of resting the characters and identifying next steps if there are any changes to be made now is the time to do it. Whether just a one-liner to state origin, a new character because you hate your current setup, or anything else you want to do.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Grognardsw »

Oops, my interpretation was off. I'll edit my post accordingly.

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#37 Post by Fearghus »

It's fine. To a dwarf all of these old men in robes look alike. ;)

Anivar
Tracker
Tracker

#38 Post by Anivar »

has the duergar regained consciousness at this point?
Ooops...

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#39 Post by Fearghus »

Anivar wrote:has the duergar regained consciousness at this point?
Sure. We'll say someone dumped a tankard of stale beer over him.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Grognardsw »

Fearghus wrote: The deep dwarf remains quiet as the discussion occurs. He awoke early upon arrival after a horn of stale mead was poured on his face. He looks to Vane, one side of his lip curls up in a cruel smile. "Doz uluk bok mir", he says in a tongue of the realms below.
Does Kargoth or Eldrek understand the duergar's speech, in part or whole, it being a dialect of sorts of dwarven? It is not listed in my languages. An ability check on Int?

Return to “The Allathurion Chronicle”