OOC Thread

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Thread

#261 Post by onlyme »

No, that is fair... That day in game lasted many months. I like the idea of not having to recount his wounds. Plus, it seems logical that there would be enough healers in such an arrangement to discreetly heal the group overnight.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by tooleychris »

Rukellian wrote:
Amberlynn's ministrations have brought everyone back to full health, though Captain Hal and the king will take longer to heal completely.
Sorry to burst your bubble there Tooley, but I did say everyone. This was a bit of an end-game freebie considering that it was the end of a very long day for the characters and they went through so much crap.

If some of you are uncomfortable with this decision, I would be willing to roll the regular ministration rolls to see how much you would recover.
Think this is what I said...? My bubble is just fine. :P

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by Rukellian »

Sometime this weekend, I will work on getting Chapter 7 going with an update. This is mainly because I have work tonight and I don't want to miss out on too much sleep during the day. Setting up this next update post might take some time on my end.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by onlyme »

That is fine... quick question... we havent had an XP reconciliation in a while/battle wise. I dont know if those 1000s of faceless creatures slain would give anyone a new level and hp before the end...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by Zhym »

Hey, yeah. And Elethil has defeated an assassin and helped plan and execute a daring rescue attempt that sort of worked if you aren't too picky about who he rescued. That ought to be worth some XP, right? :D

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by Rukellian »

Ah yes, I have been keeping track of those experience gains. It's practically a whole chapter's worth and a lot of important events went down. I will get around to providing an xp update sometime in the future. Not sure if its in a couple days or a week, lots of backtracking is going to be done on my end to make sure I covered everything.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by onlyme »

Ruke,
Any update on the XP update? Only reason it is a concern is whether we bumped up in levels before we begin this next adventure. (new HPs, other perks, etc...) If you wont have a chance anytime soon, that is ok... Whitsell will plan accordingly based on current level abilities.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Rukellian »

I haven't gotten around to it yet :| My horrible habit of procrastination is seeping in again. I will try to make an effort to tackle it today and tomorrow. If this is what everyone was waiting for, I apologize.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn gains a level.Level up HP increase [1d10] = 6
Don't have book nearby to update saves/thac0

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Zhym »

Rukellian wrote:11x Hollowed Suit Enemies - 5523
1x Evil Mage - 532

. . .

The numbers may look a bit weak on one group's side, and that is mainly due to their content of the chapter 6 being more story-driven and moving certain things forward. The other group's was more combat-oriented.
I hesitate to say anything for fear of putting a halt to the rapid pace of level gain in this campaign, but it's not just the combat that makes the numbers lopsided. I think you've been giving each PC the full XP for the entire group instead of dividing it out.

I don't know what the individual XP are for hollowed suits or an evil mage, but about 500 XP per suit seems about right. So the numbers you have at the top of your post are the combat XP for the entire group. Usually, the next step would be to divide that by the number of PCs to determine how many XPs each PC gets from combat. That's explicit in AD&D 1e (DMG p. 85), but, oddly enough, OSRIC doesn't seem to say anything about dividing party XP among PCs. Sometimes OSRIC does that—it's a clone, so it forgets to explain something fundamental to the game because "everyone" knows it.

Anyway, BtB everyone in the castle battle would get 2018 combat XP each, not 6055. In the round of XP awards before that, the base combat XP would have been 6924 split among the group, not for each person. And so on, as far as I can tell, back to the start of the game.

Like I said, I don't want to slow the level progression down and I don't want to take XP away from anyone. But there is a side effect of assigning XP this way: larger groups gain XP faster and more easily than small groups or individuals because each member of the group gets the full benefit of kills made by other group members. That's the main reason the castle group received more XP than Elethil and Rand.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by Rukellian »

Zhym, I'm glad you pointed this out. I would have kept on doing the same thing had no one told me, not distributing the xp individually. Unfortunately, as you also pointed out, this mistake of mine has been commonplace from the beginning of the game... I'd really hate to go back and fix everything to stay in accordance with AD&D 1e rules. I will try to remember this in future OSRIC games, but for now, I will just stick with what I've been doing, even if it isn't strictly by the book. Of course, if the whole group shows an explicit interest in wanting their characters to have the right amount of xp as per AD&D 1e rules, I will take the time to go back and redistribute all earned xp correctly, individually, but with that said, I have no way of knowing when I would finish such a task.
Sometimes OSRIC does that—it's a clone, so it forgets to explain something fundamental to the game because "everyone" knows it.
Yeah... I guess everyone but me. :? Again, sorry for my ignorance in such things.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by onlyme »

Ruke,
I wasnt quite sure what was going on, either. We found so much treasure early on that the xp sounded plausible. And Demons and unknown hollowed suits I have no idea how much XP they earn a PC. But, collectively, it did sound high. I was wondering if you were doing it to get us up to level 5ish to compete with some of the monsters you wanted to use...

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by Grognardsw »

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by Zhym »

No worries, Rukellian. I don't think anyone is upset that they got too many XP!

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by tooleychris »

Wait...that wasn't just BONUS XP for our most EXCELLENT roleplaying?
Now I'm a bit depressed. :lol:

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by Rukellian »

:lol: Thanks tooley. I needed that.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Zhym »

Rukellian wrote:You guys let me know if you were prefer to skip over to the dock
Oh, I see! Elethil's an elf, so he must like skipping and frolicking about like some great poof, huh? Well, Elethil don't skip nowhere!

:D

(But seriously—I don't think Elethil has any more business to conduct before heading to the docks.)

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by tooleychris »

Zhym wrote:
Rukellian wrote:You guys let me know if you were prefer to skip over to the dock
Oh, I see! Elethil's an elf, so he must like skipping and frolicking about like some great poof, huh? Well, Elethil don't skip nowhere!

:D

(But seriously—I don't think Elethil has any more business to conduct before heading to the docks.)
LOLOLOLOL! Flynn won't be skipping either. :D

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by onlyme »

Rukellian wrote: Deceidon's father, the tavern owner, agrees to this and asks that Amberlynn help tend to the king as well, given her talents and knowledge in the healing arts.
tooleychris wrote: he smiles and squeezes Amberlynns hand. "We're on the last leg of this adventure, I think. Soon it'll be just us and no more of this dirty business. "

Flynn may want to check whose hand he is actually squeezing...

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by tooleychris »

Well crap. I'm confused and Flynns a sailor so... :)

Return to “Fabricator of Planes: a Rukellian Module”