Before the moor...(Pre-First exploration.)

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Before the moor...(Pre-First exploration.)

#1 Post by Distorted Humor »

All of you have ended up in Newtown, a small village on the Northern moors. The word had quickly spread, that some lucky man and found a pearl of great value in the barrows north of Newtown. Soon the folks where pouring into the village to make their fortunes. Some of you may be here to defeat evil, many of you are here to make a small fortune in gold and silver. The area is teaming with new arrivals, it seems like anyone with a dirk has made his or her way up to Newtown. The Inn is overflowing with people, the shopkeepers are selling gear, and every day new Wagon merchants are arriving, selling everything from nice woolen clothing, to "magical" charms to ward off the dead.

(This is for finding out rumors, hiring hirelings and retainers, and all the stuff you want to do before you set out onto the Barrows, which is a half day walk from Newtown. you are not the only adventuring party that is seeking fortune in the Barrows. Due to the constraints of Play by post, I recommend that you assume that you have all decided to join up in the tavern.)

riftstone
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Before the moor...(Pre-First exploration.)

#2 Post by riftstone »

Caerth Cullwood

“I’ve heard of a rare flower that grows only on the Barrow, and an even rarer moss that burns with a strange luminescence which grows inside the Barrow. I wish to see if these rumors are true. I have a pony which carries my gear and if we have to enter the Barrow, I would like to have someone guard whatever I can’t take with me. I think I will look around and see if there are any able-bodied people willing to perform that task. I think it might be wise to set a date for our exploration, and judging by the amount of people here, the sooner the better.”

With that, Caerth will look to hire 3 people, one to guard outside, one to guard him inside, and one to carry the lantern. He will also visit some of the Wagons to see if there are any with scrolls for sale.

Drew Bergstrom
Squire
Squire

#3 Post by Drew Bergstrom »

Colin Coppersmith

"That sounds like a roight fine idear, it does"

Collin is going to look about for a hireling who can double as a cook (like an old army cook, or whatnot), and then look for a more martial hireling as well. That or a dog . . .
Colin Coppersmith, Lvl 1 Halfling; Barrowmaze, Part Duex

fumanstu
Squire
Squire

#4 Post by fumanstu »

Enuwld Andes

"I agree, we should gather what we need and set off as soon as we are able."

Enwuld is looking to hire one meatshield bodyguard.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by NJWilliam »

Odger Whitetooth, Thief

Odger will look about for those available as henchmen. He is more interested in loyalty than in a particular race or class, so will try to meet and speak with as many potential henchmen as possible, before making his decision.

At the tavern he will generously tip the bartender and waitstaff and ask what the real story is behind the pearl found in the barrows, and what ruins may be in the barrows that are not part of the common rumors.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Blazeguard »

Jericho is in need of 2 hirelings - 1 to care for and guard his donkey and 1 bodyguard to accompany him into the dungeon. He will not be overly picky but will try to find people who are interested in spiritual things with the thought in the back of his mind that he may be able to convince them to join the order...someday. ;) He will start at the temple (if there is one) as the most logical place for future converts and then work his way around town until he finds some acceptable henchmen.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Distorted Humor »

News of a party seeking Hirelings quickly spreads though the town...

Soon a motley collection of hirelings is available for hire. All are human males unless otherwise noted

Leveled
Though looking fighter- Wardo with Shortsword Chainmail and a necklace of teeth

Man-at-Arms
a Sickly looking Hilvay Owns a Club, Dagger Leather & Shield
a tough looking Scar Owns a Light Crossbow, Dagger Leather and one tough and one weak dog. (Grey wind and Spud)
A decnet looking named Hamish Owns a Longsword, Dagger Chainmail & Shield - Kinda slow
A Tough Looking named Lux Owns a Longsword, Dagger
a very tough looking named Sundarr Owns a Longsword, Dagger Leather & Shield
a decent looking named Stavros Owns a Light Crossbow, Dagger Leather
A weak looking female named Vargrid owns Leather and a Spear.

Torch-Bearer
a weak looking Hawk owns a Dagger and a tough looking dog Bowser

The going rate is around 5sp/day for torch Torch-Bearers, 1 GP/day for Men at arms, and leveled is a independent negotiation.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by NJWilliam »

Odger will approach Leveled, "I hear you may be interested in joining up to seek riches. But first, there must be a story behind that necklace of teeth, no?"
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

riftstone
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by riftstone »

Caerth Cullwood will hire:

Hawk the Torch-Bearer
Hamish the decent as a personal bodyguard
Vargrid the Spear-Maiden to guard the camp

"1 days wages to be paid in advance, and the rest to be paid when we are back to town. If this is acceptable, sign here, here, and initial here."

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Blazeguard »

Jericho will approach Stavros and Sundarr regarding possible employment. He will ask each one independently, the following questions:
1 - What deitie(s), if any, do you worship?
2 - What is your motivation for wanting to join our party?
3 - Have you been to the barrows already and do you have any other information about the barrows that we have not already heard?

Jericho will hire both Men-at-Arms regardless of their answers but he is just wanting to get a feel for them.

Drew Bergstrom
Squire
Squire

#11 Post by Drew Bergstrom »

Colin will make offers of employment to Scar and Lux.

By hiring Scar I'll get the dog(s) I wanted, and hopefully Lux can learn to make an omelette.
Colin Coppersmith, Lvl 1 Halfling; Barrowmaze, Part Duex

fumanstu
Squire
Squire

#12 Post by fumanstu »

Enwuld

Enwuld will make an offer to Hilvay, "I need a bodyguard for a somewhat dangerous endeavour but as you look like you might puke as much as fight, I'm only offering half the going rate."

Stouthart
Strider
Strider

#13 Post by Stouthart »

Cobb Stonegut arrives late to the party to find all the men-at-arms have already been given offers."Story o' me life... day late and a gold bit short," he mumbles under his breath.

He will wait to see if any of the hirelings refuse offers from the others, then proceed to hire a few of them.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Distorted Humor »

I will add a few more since they all are in negotiations :lol: (Tomorrow)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by ybn1197 »

Olwë Calmcacil

Olwë enters the tavern a brief moment after Cobb and mumbles his agreement to Cobb's statement. "I have always had my head in the leaves and once again it shall be my undoing."

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Distorted Humor »

NJWilliam wrote:Odger will approach Leveled, "I hear you may be interested in joining up to seek riches. But first, there must be a story behind that necklace of teeth, no?"
Orc teeth, and Boar, me and my mate killed each one of them, but my buddy died over at the borderlands, so I came here....

he smiles hoping to be hired...

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Distorted Humor »

riftstone wrote:Caerth Cullwood will hire:

Hawk the Torch-Bearer
Hamish the decent as a personal bodyguard
Vargrid the Spear-Maiden to guard the camp

"1 days wages to be paid in advance, and the rest to be paid when we are back to town. If this is acceptable, sign here, here, and initial here."

They agree, and drink their coin while the rest negotiate.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Distorted Humor »

Blazeguard wrote:Jericho will approach Stavros and Sundarr regarding possible employment. He will ask each one independently, the following questions:
1 - What deitie(s), if any, do you worship?
2 - What is your motivation for wanting to join our party?
3 - Have you been to the barrows already and do you have any other information about the barrows that we have not already heard?

Jericho will hire both Men-at-Arms regardless of their answers but he is just wanting to get a feel for them.

Stavros mentions a minor god, you know it to be a common if minor lawful god. Sundarr worships Peone, the neutral goddess of the fields.

Both want to go and earn some coin, but think of this as a good way to become "apprentice adventures", and they just know a very valuable Pearl was taken out not long ago...

A drunk overhearing this says "I have heard many of thing, buy me a drink and I will tell all I know. "

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Distorted Humor »

Drew Bergstrom wrote:Colin will make offers of employment to Scar and Lux.

By hiring Scar I'll get the dog(s) I wanted, and hopefully Lux can learn to make an omelette.
They agree to the standard rate, though they ask for a day wages up front.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Distorted Humor »

fumanstu wrote:Enwuld

Enwuld will make an offer to Hilvay, "I need a bodyguard for a somewhat dangerous endeavour but as you look like you might puke as much as fight, I'm only offering half the going rate."
He says "Many adventures come and go, some will pay me my fair wage..."

Return to “Barrowmaze, Part Duex”