DCC #67 Sailors on the Starless Sea Part 2

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: DCC #67 Sailors on the Starless Sea Part 2

#161 Post by AQuebman »

MrHemlocks wrote:Uriel, drops to his knees and reaches into his pocket grabs hold of the medallion given to him by Choranus. Holding his hands up to the air he prays. "Choranus, the Seer Father, lord of creation, help your humble servant and those not yet enlightened to your spirit to overcome this evil and free this place of the filth within it!" Rise up these waters and flood the flames within this ziggurat. Let no one come to harm heavenly Father of creation..."
Lowering his head, but hands still reaching upward with medallion exposed, he waits and continues to praise Choranus.

OOC...Will burn luck if needed ;)

DM: This request would actually be handled with the cleric Divine Aid functionality but it's difficult and comes with a price. Since I haven't finished adding Cleric to my classes page i'll list it below. I would consider this quite hard so probably DC 18 to succeed.:

Divine aid: As a devout worshipper, a cleric is entitled to beseech his deity for divine aid. Beneficent followers are already rewarded with spells and the ability to turn the unholy, so it must be recognized that requesting direct intervention is an extraordinary act. To request divine aid, the cleric makes a spell check at the same modifier that would apply were he casting a spell. This extraordinary act imparts a cumulative +10 penalty to future disapproval range. Based on the result of the spell check, the judge will describe the result. Simple requests (e.g., light a candle) are DC 10 and extraordinary requests (e.g., summon and control a living column of flame) are DC 18 or higher

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Norjax »

Free from his restraints, Nortague the Halfling Borderwarden reaches out and grabs Darvin’s clothes.

“Thank you”, he says with a hoarse voice venting through parched lips.

He makes eye contact with Goratrix and gives him a conciliatory nod before making his way down the ramp to gather his senses.

OCC: Nortague does not go all the way to the bottom, merely to the back of the party.

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#163 Post by Fearghus »

Fruldrick, Halfling

"Helllllllllp!", Fruldrick screams as the beastman takes him. The halfling thrashes against the thing, stabbing with the scissors and trying to get free.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#164 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Round 1 (reposting this so it doesn't get lost -- I had thought we were already through the surprise round, I guess... 8-) )
ragnboneshopper wrote:Rolfo ignores the carrying's on of the woman he just freed and grimly moves to attack the next beastman, this time not rushing in but closing carefully and taking whatever advantage opens to him, battering with both mace and shield to try to free another prisoner and add to the ragtag band's numbers. "Take that you mongrels!"
If Rolfo can help Fruldrick, that would be first choice...

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#165 Post by AQuebman »

Initiative Darvin moves forward to Nortague and helps the halfling prisoner free himself of his rope restraints.

Bronn screams "KLAZATHHHHHHH!" and moves forward, swinging at the next beastman with his mace while trying to also avoid his companion Fruldrick. The attempt at pinpoint accuracy threw Bronn's attack way off it's mark as he flails wildly.

DM: Uriel your up next, with the rule now explained about divine aid do you still want to go through with that action. Also in case your unaware disapproval as a cleric adds to your chance of automatic failure so 10 points of disapproval would mean until you atoned an 11 or lower on any spell check would lead to an auto failure an additional point of disapproval and occasionally some special expectations from your god.

OOC: Just to make it clear so the map makes sense. I'm going to call that the grapples are all within the square of the attacking grappler. This is to make it possible for you guys to engage with the beastmen. Otherwise there's literally 0 room to move which doesn't makes total sense to me. So when you see the map you may see spots where for example B4, P4, & F are all in the same square, that is legit and can be considered either of the characters listed for the purpose of taking actions.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#166 Post by MrHemlocks »

AQuebman wrote:Initiative Darvin moves forward to Nortague and helps the halfling prisoner free himself of his rope restraints.

Bronn screams "KLAZATHHHHHHH!" and moves forward, swinging at the next beastman with his mace while trying to also avoid his companion Fruldrick. The attempt at pinpoint accuracy threw Bronn's attack way off it's mark as he flails wildly.

DM: Uriel your up next, with the rule now explained about divine aid do you still want to go through with that action. Also in case your unaware disapproval as a cleric adds to your chance of automatic failure so 10 points of disapproval would mean until you atoned an 11 or lower on any spell check would lead to an auto failure an additional point of disapproval and occasionally some special expectations from your god.
ooc...Go for it... He will burn luck as needed. Seeing that so many lives may be wasted in melee with these beast divine help would be a life saver ;)

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#167 Post by AQuebman »

Initiative
Round 1
Beastmen Group: 20
Darvin: 19 [/url]
Bronn: 18
Uriel & Water Elemental: 17 (0/6 Rounds of Water Elemental) & (Disapproval: 11)(<--)
Rolfo: 11
Krylina: 10
Goratrix: 7
Eldarial: 4 (Grabbed By B3)
Norjax: 3
Crow: 2
Fruldrick: 1 (Grabbed By B5)

[1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12 Uriel's Divine Aid Check

Uriel, drops to his knees and reaches into his pocket grabs hold of the medallion given to him by Choranus. Holding his hands up to the air he prays. "Choranus, the Seer Father, lord of creation, help your humble servant and those not yet enlightened to your spirit to overcome this evil and free this place of the filth within it!" Rise up these waters and flood the flames within this ziggurat. Let no one come to harm heavenly Father of creation..."
Lowering his head, but hands still reaching upward with medallion exposed, he waits and continues to praise Choranus.

A few moments pass when the tree of life on the symbol begins to glow and move as if it were alive. Then the ground of the ziggurat begins to shake and the water surrounding it begins to crash and flail in a violent frothy manner. During this moment of chaos Uriel hear's a voice in his head he recognizes as Choranus.

For Uriel
"My child you will learn in time straight destruction of any kind is not my way. Instead of destruction take my servant and for a brief time allow him to help you remove this chaos pestilence. Now begone my time is needed elsewhere!
From the waters rises a giant column of water swirling of it's own will straight up into the air. The column swirls spraying everyone with mist and heavy winds as it pushes towards the ziggurat. It then twists and quickly lands upon the ziggurat, the winds finally dissipate and what is left is an enormous armored creature made of pure water. It has armor like a knight but it's body swirls like a mighty tempest. It bows to Uriel then stands awaiting commands. Uriel can feel that for a short period of time he has full control over this creature.

Legend
B# = Beasts
P# = Prisoners
K = Krylina
BR = Bronn
D = Darvin
U = Uriel
R = Rolfo
G = Goratrix
E = Eldarial
C = Crow
F = Fruldrick
N = Norjax
WE = Water Elemental

DM: Uriel you have 6 rounds with a badass water elemental. I'll post it's stats etc.. below. It will go on your initiative along with your normal actions. I need you to select where you want it to start as it could begin on any square within Uriel's visual range and take an action with him.

DM2: I've decided i'll allow anyone who wants to pass beastmen on the ziggurat can but it's going to get a free attack for doing so. Be aware they could do the same to you. This will make it so like Rolfo on your turn you won't be stuck sitting on the ziggurat unable to attack anything.

DM3: I need one of the parties halflings to declare themselves as the luck charm of the group.

DM4: Burning 6 Luck from Uriel unless the above luck charm halfling wishes to intervene.

Elemental, Water: Init +6; Atk slam +10 melee (2d6); AC 16; HD 8d8, 12d8, or 16d8; MV 40’ or swim 80’; Act 1d20 ; SP engulf and drown, vulnerable to fire and heat, elemental traits; SV Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +8; AL N.
Water elementals appear as living, ambulatory ocean waves. When calm they are soft and flowing; when angered, they are churning whitecaps. A water elemental attempts to move over its opponents, engulfing them within its space. It can still slam engulfed targets as it buffets them within its waves, and when a target is engulfed it may begin to drown. An engulfed target attacks at -4 and must make an opposed Str check (against Str 20) to push its way out. For each round it starts engulfed, the target must succeed in a DC 16 Stamina check. When the first check fails, the target is drowning. Once drowning, the creature loses 1d6 points of Stamina per round. Water elementals are immune to water-based attacks. They cannot bear heat and fire and take double damage from those attacks.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#168 Post by MrHemlocks »

Uriel, rises off the ground and looks upon the water elemental. " The time is now child of Choranus! Scale this ziggurat of sin and destroy those that insult and wish to hurt our Father! Free the prisoners and destroy those vile beast men. Pointing toward the top most area of the ziggurat..."start there!"

"Choranus be praised!"

ooc...The water elemental is to start clearing out the beast men, starting at B18 &B19, and work his way down toward the rest of the party. :)

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#169 Post by Fearghus »

Fruldrick, Halfling

Prays for aid!

Fruldrick has slightly more luck than Nortague, so I'll volunteer him as the charm. If i understand correctly, Fruldrick can spend a point of luck for a party member and they'll receive +2 to that roll? And he has the added benefit of regaining luck at the rate of 1 per evening up to his max, correct? I'll drop the luck for Uriel. Three points will still net him +6.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#171 Post by Vargr1105 »

ooc: can Goratrix use his spear to strike at enemies from the rear rank?

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#172 Post by ragnboneshopper »

ragnboneshopper wrote:Round 1 (reposting this so it doesn't get lost -- I had thought we were already through the surprise round, I guess... 8-) )
ragnboneshopper wrote:Rolfo ignores the carrying's on of the woman he just freed and grimly moves to attack the next beastman, this time not rushing in but closing carefully and taking whatever advantage opens to him, battering with both mace and shield to try to free another prisoner and add to the ragtag band's numbers. "Take that you mongrels!"

If Rolfo can help Fruldrick, that would be first choice...

EDIT: In response to the crowd in front of him, Rolfo will forego melee and will take a step back and to his right, directly behind Goratrix. He'll hang his mace on his belt, pull out his makeshift sling, and attempt to throw a stone at beastman #22 and perhaps free another prisoner. "Hey, up there! Run if you can, back down this way!"

DM: You got it sir!

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#173 Post by AQuebman »

Vargr1105 wrote:ooc: can Goratrix use his spear to strike at enemies from the rear rank?
OOC: From the basic rules thread:
"6.) A few combat notes - Be aware that (1) longer weapons can be used to strike over the front rank" So yes you may attack from behind someone with a spear.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#174 Post by AQuebman »

Initiative
Round 1
Beastmen Group: 20
Darvin: 19 [/url]
Uriel & Water Elemental: 17 (1/6 Rounds of Water Elemental) & (Disapproval: 11)
Goratrix: 7 (<--)
Eldarial: 4 (Grabbed By B3)
Nortague: 3
Fruldrick: 1 (Grabbed By B5)
Freed Prisoners: 0

Uriel, rises off the ground and looks upon the water elemental. "The time is now child of Choranus! Scale this ziggurat of sin and destroy those that insult and wish to hurt our Father! Free the prisoners and destroy those vile beast men. Pointing toward the top most area of the ziggurat..."start there!"

"Choranus be praised!"

The giant water knight takes Uriel's command from the water and deposits itself in a great wave of water on top of some of the beastmen half way up the ziggurat. The beast creature is totally caught off guard as it's engulfed in water and begins to drown. The gift from Choranus then takes a balled up fist and slams it into the drowning beastman destroying the monstrosities spear and sending splintered wood floating throughout the tempest that is the elemental's body. The now freed prisoner near the creature cowers as everyone around it are incidentally hammered with continual waves of raging water.
[1d20+10] = 20+10 = 30 Water Elemental Attack on B18
[1d14] = 14 Elemental's Crit
[2d6] = 8 Elemental's Dmg on B18

In response to the crowd in front of him, Rolfo foregoes melee and take a step back and to his right, directly behind Goratrix. He hangs his mace on his belt, pulls out his makeshift sling, and throws a stone at a deformed beastman. Rolfo's throw is difficult because the height of the wall gives the beast cover but his aim is perfect as his bullet brains the beast felling it in one heavy heave. "Hey, up there! Run if you can, back down this way!" Rolfo sees the prisoner slump and struggle with the ropes he's bound with

[1d20-1] = 16-1 = 15+[1d3] = 2 Rolfo's Sling Attack on B22
[1d4+2] = 2+2 = 4 Rolfo's Sling Dmg on B22

The desperate harlot Krylina attempts to sneak up behind the rear-most beastman and smash it over the head with the oar but her lack of training is evident as the large oar is easily batted away.
[1d20-2] = 10-2 = 8 Krylina's Attack on B5

Legend
B# = Beasts
P# = Prisoners
K = Krylina
BR = Bronn
D = Darvin
U = Uriel
R = Rolfo
G = Goratrix
E = Eldarial
C = Crow
F = Fruldrick
N = Norjax
WE = Water Elemental

DM: Krylina in the surprise round got the oar and got near the melee but it wasn't until this update you could attack. It's a toss up whether you could attack from the back with an oar but for the sake of not holding this up any further i'm going to say you can. My DM kindness knows no bounds lol. :D

DM2: Goratrix we are to you and yes you can attack from the second row with your spear.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by hedgeknight »

Eldarial struggles in the her captor's arms, trying to reach her dagger. If she can, she will jerk it free and stab at the beastman holding her.
Winter is coming...

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#176 Post by Vargr1105 »

ooc: according to the map there's actually two rows between G-man and the nearest beastmen, but if he can attack with his spear anyways he'll do so.

Goratrix will try to stab B4 with the spear and sent it hurtling towards the waters in the right.

ooc: Might Deed of Arms time!

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#177 Post by AQuebman »

Vargr1105 wrote:ooc: according to the map there's actually two rows between G-man and the nearest beastmen, but if he can attack with his spear anyways he'll do so.

Goratrix will try to stab B4 with the spear and sent it hurtling towards the waters in the right.

ooc: Might Deed of Arms time!
DM: I think you misunderstood me. I was answering your question again about whether you could attack from the back row but you can't attack from 3 rows back. Now if you wanted to make that your mighty deed we can roll with that, in that case you won't be able to hit unless your deed comes up as a 3 but i'd take it if that's what you want to do.

You can also attempt climbing around on the walls or start running through beastmen lol.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Norjax »

Nortague's action is outlined in this post: viewtopic.php?p=51348#p51348

His next action will be to find a loose weapon lying around.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Grognardsw »

Krylina / unhinged on ziggurat

Krylina stares speechless, a rare thing indeed, at the water elemental splurting wet death about the beastman on the ziggurat.

She backs away, oar in hand, then snaps out of it. She swings again at a rear-most beastman.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#180 Post by AQuebman »

Initiative
Round 2
Beastmen Group: 20 (B5 Charged in rnd 2)
Darvin: 19 (<--)
Uriel & Water Elemental: 17 (1/6 Rounds of Water Elemental) & (Disapproval: 11)
Goratrix: 7
Eldarial: 4 (Grabbed By B3 & B8)
Nortague: 3
Fruldrick: 1 (Grabbed By B4) & (Group Luck Charm)
Freed Prisoners: 0

Goratrix tries to weave in between his companions and reach one of the beast creatures but he finds the crowd a little too tight for him to get a clear attack off.
[1d3] = 2 Goratrix Mighty Deed

Eldarial struggles in the her captor's arms, trying to reach her dagger but try as she might the grip held on her is very tight and she is unable to break free
[1d20] = 1 Eldarial's Attempt to break free

Free from his restraints, Nortague the Halfling Borderwarden reaches out and grabs Darvin’s clothes.
Thank you”, he says with a hoarse voice venting through parched lips.
He makes eye contact with Goratrix and gives him a conciliatory nod before making his way down the ramp to gather his senses.

Crow tries to slip in to join Bronn in the combat but the ramp is too tight for him to get into the combat without threatening a heavy retaliation from the waiting beasts.

Fruldrick fights, kicks and bites his captor as much as he can but try as he might he just can't get the leverage to break free.
[1d20-1] = 12-1 = 11 Fruldrick trying to break the grapple

The reactions garnered by the two prisoners freed so far is varied. The female prisoner up top near Krylina(P22) just cowers shaking in fear. She struggles with her ropes briefly but fear overcomes her so she just lays down motionlessly sobbing. Another of the freed prisoners(P18) inspired by the raging torrent fighting along side him unties himself and takes a very half ass swing at his recent captors. It's very clear his muscles are weak and inflamed.

Seeing the threat that the adventurers clearly are the beast men begin to return the attack. One of the ones in front near the party rushes head long towards Bronn thrusting his spear forward but Bronn easily deflects the attack away.
[1d20+3] = 2+3 = 5 B5 charges Bronn

Another nearby beastman(B6) comes up and tries to assist in carrying Fruldrick but the halfling would have nothing of the sort kicking it square in the jaw several times to successfully keep it at bay, for now.
[1d20] = 2 B6 Tries to assist holding Fruldrick

The same is attempted on the clawing and shouting Eldarial but she also punishes the additional attacker for even making the attempt.
[1d20] = 3 B7 Tries to assist holding Eldarial

Halfway up the ziggurat a handful of the beasts try to take on the elemental threat but their simple attacks are useless. Even seeming hits just flow right through it's watery body. Seeing how futile it's friends attempts were one of the beastmen (B19) turns and attacks the a freed prisoner but the newly freed man deftly dodges the attack.
[1d20] = 6 B19 attacks P18

While many of the beasts continue to trek their prisoners up towards the top a couple of them (B8 & B9) seeing the added threat of the party, drop their tied up prisoners and rush to aid in hauling Eldarial. The first(B8) rushes in and grabs Eldarial by the hair and gets a firm grasp of an arm further tightening the hold they have on her. The second tries to do the same but Eldarial struggles and fights free of it's slimy appendages.
[1d20] = 11 B8 Tries to assist holding Eldarial
[1d20] = 3 B9 Tries to assist holding Eldarial

Legend
B# = Beasts
P# = Prisoners
K = Krylina
BR = Bronn
D = Darvin
U = Uriel
R = Rolfo
G = Goratrix
E = Eldarial
C = Crow
F = Fruldrick
N = Norjax
WE = Water Elemental

DM: FYI being grabbed by an additional beastman makes the strength check to break free +2 harder for each beast holding you.

DM2: Darvin it's your actions sir, anyone who hasn't already given them I need actions for Round 2 please.

Return to “AQuebman's DCC Campaign”