DCC #67 Sailors on the Starless Sea Part 2

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

Re: DCC #67 Sailors on the Starless Sea Part 2

#141 Post by MrHemlocks »

Uriel, follows the others. Staying in the rear of the party he will heal those in need of it the most. "Stay close to me friends. I will try to keep you on your feet till we reach the summit."

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#142 Post by ragnboneshopper »

"Not without me..." mutters Rolfo. He has nothing but pure vengeance in his eyes after all that he's seen. He'll rush in and fight dirty, swinging for the kneecaps of the closest beastman with his mace, then battering with his shield.

That's an attempt at tripping, followed by a shield attack on a hopefully prone victim... :twisted:

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#143 Post by AQuebman »

Vargr1105 wrote:"Dammit, the elf-woman has gone insane on us. Mayhap she caught too much sun in her head?" thinks Goratrix, oblivious to the fact they are all standing underground.

At Eldarial's ultimatum he responds:

"Merciful Gods! There's an entire army of'em out there. We'll all be slain if we go hand-to-hand, and we cannot use missiles for fear of hitting the prisoners, further..."

Then he hears a female scream pierce the air, and looking towards the ziggurat he sees the shapely, alluring and most terrified form of Krylina being dragged/pushed forward by a clawed beastman.

"...and further, I think we should stop all this japering and get ourselves there to aid her...I mean them."

Then he stands by Eldarial's side holding his staff. "I just wish i hadn't wasted my damn spear back there."

ooc: if I may offer some editing advice, and this isn't a problem exclusive to this campaign, I'd suggest sizing any uploaded pics to properly fit the threads and avoid stretching them sideways, as that is a bit aggravating and makes navigation harder. I use TinyPic.com myself, you just select the option to size a large pic down to chatboard size (680x480) and Bob's your uncle.
OOC: I had to play with it myself not knowing of a site that could do it for me. Originally it was enormous coming from my phone to dropbox to here. I got it to a more reasonable size but I agree it's still a bit big. If Tinypic can do it for me without losing map clarity i'll use that.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#144 Post by AQuebman »

Vargr1105 wrote:"Done." says Goratrix as he exchanges weapons with Eldarial.

ooc: how much dmg does a spear do again? 1d8?
Yes and another note on spears that won't matter for this battle I don't think. -

"These weapons inflict double damage on a mounted charge. A lance can only be used when mounted."

Full Update INC tonight.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#145 Post by NJWilliam »

Crow, now wielding two short swords, joins the other halfling in sneaking around the ziggurat.

Bronn joins those that may be attacking the nearest beastmen, hoping to distract attention from the halflings.

Darvin looks to see if the short sword glows in Crow's hands.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#146 Post by AQuebman »

Initiative Darvin sees no glowing from the sword in Crow's hand but his tremorsense is on overload from the beating of drums and the struggling of prisoners with the heavy footed beastmen.

Bronn moves in and engages with the beastmen who care completely caught off guard but all he can think of is Klazath's request distracting him from the threat in front of him. His mace swing wildly misses the deformed man beast.Bronn's Mace Attack on Beastman [1d20-5] = 7-5 = 2

Uriel, follows the others but stays back in the rear ready to heal as needed. "Stay close to me friends. I will try to keep you on your feet till we reach the summit."

"Not without me..." mutters Rolfo. With nothing but pure vengeance in his eyes after all that he's seen he rushes in and tries to fight dirty, swinging for the kneecaps of the closest beastman with his mace but the swing is wildly inaccurate. He follows that up with a heavy strike with his shield that cracks the beast in the skull knocking it limp and freeing the terrified Krylina.
[1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4+[1d3] = 1Rolfo's Mace Attack
[1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13 Rolfo's shield Attack
[1d3+1] = 2+1 = 3 Rolfo's Shield Damage

Legend
B# = Beasts
P# = Prisoners
K = Krylina
BR = Bronn
D = Darvin
U = Uriel
R = Rolfo
G = Goratrix
E = Eldarial
C = Crow
F = Fruldrick
OOC: Was that Darvin's one action for the surprise? I don't want to short change you.

DM: Krylina, it is your turn you have your hair pins in your hair you think could be used as a makeshift dagger. Actions?

DM2: Also are the halflings just trying to sneak up and attack the beastmen or are you actually trying to climb around the side?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Grognardsw »

Krylina Vrygina, the Doomed Harlot of Cinton / Ziggurat

"Oh my god I'm dead, ohmygod I'm pickled, ohmygod aaaAAAHHH!!!" the girl screams and hyperventilates in terror at her dire predicament. Krylina is exhausted, bruised, horrorified.  "I swear I'll be good, I swear I'll be good, just save--"

--SLAM--

The beast clutching her is hit by a shield and thrown off balance. It is a blur to her tear-stained eyes, but someone is attacking the beast! She shrieks again, bites the beast's wrist, and slips free. The gods hear her prayer, and she an atheist at that.

Driven by her terror first and foremost, Krylina scrambles down the ziggurat ramp where she sees other villagers moving up to attack the beastmen. Behind them now, she sees the water stretching out before her, and the docked ship. She is too weak to swim such a distance, and cannot manage such a ship alone. She turns around and sees the others pressing the attack. What a crazy bunch, she thinks, but brave as knights. Krylina grabs an oar from the docked ship, and cursing her fate follows the others in attack. At least she can get some revenge!

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#148 Post by NJWilliam »

Darvin, not wanting to close to melee if possible to avoid it, will throw his spear at the nearest beast man not engaged by his companions, and then draw his mace.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by hedgeknight »

Eldarial grips her new staff tightly and charges into the fray, targeting the closest beastman with a prisoner. She swings at the man's back, but her attack seems ineffective.
Staff attack on beastman: [1d20] = 9
Winter is coming...

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#150 Post by Vargr1105 »

Goratrix will stay the main group and try to spear the nearest beastman that comes near him.

ooc: we are not making the rolls ourselves anymore, right?

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#151 Post by AQuebman »

Vargr1105 wrote:Goratrix will stay the main group and try to spear the nearest beastman that comes near him.

ooc: we are not making the rolls ourselves anymore, right?
DM: Correct ill make the rolls but in cases where someone forgets and rolls ill take their rolls im not a roll nazi lol . Update likely before bed tonight this should be exciting :-).

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#152 Post by AQuebman »

Initiative
"Oh my god I'm dead, ohmygod I'm pickled, ohmygod aaaAAAHHH!!!" Krylina screams and hyperventilates in terror at her dire predicament. Krylina is exhausted, bruised, horrorified. "I swear I'll be good, I swear I'll be good, just save--"

--SLAM--

The beast clutching her is hit by a shield and thrown off balance. It is a blur to her tear-stained eyes, but someone is attacking the beast! She shrieks again, bites the beast's wrist, and slips free. The gods hear her prayer, and she an atheist at that.

Driven by her terror first and foremost, Krylina scrambles down the ziggurat ramp where she sees other villagers moving up to attack the beastmen. Behind them now, she sees the water stretching out before her, and the docked ship. She is too weak to swim such a distance, and cannot manage such a ship alone. She turns around and sees the others pressing the attack. What a crazy bunch, she thinks, but brave as knights. Krylina grabs an oar from the docked ship, and cursing her fate follows the others to attack.

DM: In the surprise round Krylina is able to get to the boat and grab an oar but will have to wait to engage and attack until next turn.

Goratrix stays with the main group and sees a clear opportunity to lean over Bronn's shoulder and stab for the beast engaged with him...

DM: Hey Vargr1105 I need you to level Goratrix up to first level so I can appropriately handle his attacks etc... If you want me to do this for you I can just let me know.
Legend
B# = Beasts
P# = Prisoners
K = Krylina
BR = Bronn
D = Darvin
U = Uriel
R = Rolfo
G = Goratrix
E = Eldarial
C = Crow
F = Fruldrick

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#153 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Rolfo ignores the carrying's on of the woman he just freed and grimly moves to attack the next beastman, this time not rushing in but closing carefully and taking whatever advantage opens to him, battering with both mace and shield to try to free another prisoner and add to the ragtag band's numbers. "Take that you mongrels!"

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#154 Post by Fearghus »

Fruldrick, Halfling

Fruldrick follows Goratrix and Eladrial into the fray, scissors drawn. Staying near his larger companions he attempts to hamstring one of the beastmen with which Bronn and Goratrix do battle.

If Fruldrick is unable to make his way in to be useful he will simply watch the rear and make sure his companions are not flanked.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#156 Post by AQuebman »

Initiative Darvin, not wanting to close to melee and if possible to avoid it, throws his spear at the nearest beast man not engaged by his companions and it lands close but not quite on target to one of the beastman, thudding hard into the ziggurat floor. Darvin then draws his mace.
[1d20-1] = 11-1 = 10 Darvin's Spear Throw

Goratrix stays with the main group and sees a clear opportunity to lean over Bronn's shoulder and stab for the beast engaged with him which he does with extreme prejudice skewering the snake headed monster in the throat. It makes an otherworldly screech and falls limply off the side of the ziggurat into the water below. The prisoner it was controlling hobbles away from the initial fray and then struggles and fights with his rope restraints to get free.
[1d20] = 12+[1d3] = 2 Goratrix's Spear Attack on B2
[1d8+2] = 5+2 = 7 Goratrix's Spear Damage on B2

Eldarial grips her new staff tightly and charges into the fray, targeting the closest beastman with a prisoner. She swings at the beast's back, but her attack seems to bounce off the creature with little effect. The beast turns around shoving the tied up prisoner to the ground. It has oversized hanging jowls that drip black ichor and tiny pinholes for eyes.
Staff attack on beastman: [1d20] = 9

Crow begins trying to sneak around on the ziggurat but gets stuck where the combat begins heating up. The only open path is to climb along the bottom half or the wall or climb up the top.

Fruldrick follows Eladrial into the fray, scissors drawn. Staying near his larger companions he hamstring's the beastman with the oversized jowls which makes it howl in pain giving Fruldrick a menacing glare.[1d20-1] = 17-1 = 16 Fruldrick's Scissor slash on B4
[1d4-1] = 1-1 = 0 Fruldrick's Scissor damage on B4

The beast's reaction to the parties presence is mixed. Many further up the ziggurat continue to chant and drag their prisoners up the ramps. Others engage with the PC's. One takes a swipe at Fruldrick but the quick halfling ducks under the swipe. Another grabs Eldarial in a very tight painful grasp and drags her up the ramp about 15 feet along with another prisoner. Once Eldarial has been drug away another beast with maggots and flies leaking out of it's orifices comes down dragging a prisoner by a robe and catches Fruldrick. He tries to drag him forward but is blocked by more prisoners and his fellow beastman.
[1d20] = 6 B4 attack on Fruldrick
[1d20] = 11 B3 attack on Eldarial
[1d20] = 19 B5 attack on Fruldrick

DM: FYI Hedge Charge is an action within the game where you can rush in and get a +2 to hit and a -2 to your AC so just keep aware of that next time if you say charge i'm going to assume that's the action your taking.

DM2: Also on your turn if you are grabbed by the beastmen all you can do is try to escape the grapple. I'll make the roll so just be aware of that.

OOC: Now it's Darvin's Turn Beginning of Round 1

Legend
B# = Beasts
P# = Prisoners
K = Krylina
BR = Bronn
D = Darvin
U = Uriel
R = Rolfo
G = Goratrix
E = Eldarial
C = Crow
F = Fruldrick

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#157 Post by NJWilliam »

Darvin, round 1

Darvin moves forward to prisoner 2 and helps the prisoner free himself of his rope restraints, attacking any beastmen that approach with his mace.

Bronn, round 1

Bronn screams "KLAZATHHHHHHH!" and moves forward, smashing the next beastman with mace.

Crow, round 1

Crow, figuring that stealth is no longer much of a plan, leaps to the fight with his two short swords next to Bronn.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by hedgeknight »

When grabbed by the beastman, Eldarial does what most women would do when grabbed by a disgusting hairy monster > she screams her freaking head off! Biting, clawing, squirming, kicking > she does anything she can to get out of the beastman's grasp.
Winter is coming...

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#159 Post by MrHemlocks »

Uriel, drops to his knees and reaches into his pocket grabs hold of the medallion given to him by Choranus. Holding his hands up to the air he prays. "Choranus, the Seer Father, lord of creation, help your humble servant and those not yet enlightened to your spirit to overcome this evil and free this place of the filth within it!" Rise up these waters and flood the flames within this ziggurat. Let no one come to harm heavenly Father of creation..."
Lowering his head, but hands still reaching upward with medallion exposed, he waits and continues to praise Choranus.

OOC...Will burn luck if needed ;)

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Grognardsw »

Krylina / round 1

The desperate harlot Krylina attempts to sneak up behind the rear-most beastman smash it over the head with the oar.

Return to “AQuebman's DCC Campaign”