First Expedition to the Barrowmaze

GronkTheBold
Scout
Scout

Re: First Expedition to the Barrowmaze

#81 Post by GronkTheBold »

Behrun, clutching his wound and giving the slain toad a mad stare, pulls out his short sword and approaches the body of Mogullen in a manner of good decorum and quietly gives the Dwarven oath of a blessed passing to the afterlife to the unfortunate hireling. The warrior will sheathe his sword and try to console Rukellian:

"Your sorrow is understandable, I've felt the exact same feeling seeing my old friends die: the feeling of a nightmarish unreality coming to pass before your very eyes...But you are strong enough to get through this, my friend, and I believe this to be true. Mogullen was unfortunately slain, but I imagine he was strong enough to face death, and would want us all to have that same strength as we grieve his passing. If you would like, we could give him a burial just outside." Behrun will wait for his reply, and for the group to make a decision.
That low level hireling who carries the ten foot poles...

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Rukellian »

Looking up at Behrun, Rukellian gives a silent nod in agreement. "The least we can do now is give him a proper burial..." Picking himself back up, he wipes his wet face with an arm sleeve and looks towards his hirelings. "Bardoon, I'm sorry you had to see that... Hemna, you too. This definitely is not the best start to have for an adventure."

Trying to bring himself back together, Rukellian forces a smile and jokingly says to Bardoon, "can you help me carry him out of here? I would do it myself, but my arms are... flabby." Though he tries to break away from his sorrowful and angry outburst, he still feels a bit shaken, and its obvious to those around him.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

NPC_Randy
Scout
Scout

#83 Post by NPC_Randy »

After the final blow, Gorek gazes around the room with an eerie look upon his face as his chest heaves heavily while the dwarf catches his breath from the fight. Blood drips from the blade of his axe as his fallen foe lays at his feet. It takes a moment for Gorek to snap out of his frenzied trance-like state. Looking at Mogullen laying on the dungeon floor, the warrior walks over to the boy. Picking the lantern up and setting it upright on the ground next to his body, Gorek removes the backpack from the boy's back.

"It's a tragic thing, but anyone who ventures into the Barrows knows what could happen. Let this serve as a lesson to the other hirelings. Keep your distance when danger is near. We can't afford to lose anymore hired hands."

Gorek adjusts the straps of the pack and modifies the placement of the gear so he can carry the pack along with his weapons and armor.

"His spirit has gone to the other side. Burying the body is a waste of time and resources. But I will not interfere if you feel it is necessary."

Carrying the lantern in his left hand and his axe in the other, Gorek then begins searching the room for a possible hidden door or passageway.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#84 Post by Distorted Humor »

You Discover no hidden passages, but you do see what appears to be a toad nest (though that brings up a question of what exactly a toad next looks like - I do not know) Near the center of the room. The water is knee to waist deep in most places in this Barrow.

NPC_Randy
Scout
Scout

#85 Post by NPC_Randy »

"It a foul thing, but the nasty buggers have a nest. While logic tells me I don't want to see it, the whole reason I'm here is for the treasure." So reluctantly, Gorek wades through the filth towards the giant frog's nest with the intent of inspecting the domicile for valuables.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Rukellian »

After carrying/dragging Mogullen outside the crypt, with or without anyone's help, Rukellian will inquire about the shovel hanging below Gorek's backpack.

"Gorek, though you've already made your intentions regarding the deceased clear, I would like to ask permission to use your shovel to help bury Mogullen. It would take a lot more time away if we spent our time digging a hole up with our hands, and I have a feeling that we will want to get back on track very soon."

Rukellian, being a man of the cloth, is duty-bound in making sure the deceased are taken care of properly.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

jdluna
Guide
Guide

#87 Post by jdluna »

Guys, can I jump back in this? I had a death in the family and have neglected allot of my extra curricular duties

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#88 Post by Distorted Humor »

jdluna wrote:Guys, can I jump back in this? I had a death in the family and have neglected allot of my extra curricular duties

Yes, you wake up from your haze and see that your out in the Barrowmaze

(Welcome back)

NPC_Randy
Scout
Scout

#89 Post by NPC_Randy »

Rukellian wrote:"Gorek, though you've already made your intentions regarding the deceased clear, I would like to ask permission to use your shovel to help bury Mogullen. It would take a lot more time away if we spent our time digging a hole up with our hands, and I have a feeling that we will want to get back on track very soon."
"You're welcome to it." At the first dry spot Gorek can find he sets his pack down, removes the shovel, and tosses it over to Rukellian.
"Try to get that back to me in one piece, would you?" Putting his pack back in it's place, Gorek returns to the task of searching for the frog's fortune.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#90 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Agathon will help Rukellian with the burial if he can.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Rukellian »

Welcome back jdluna, glad to hear we have not lost you.

jdluna
Guide
Guide

#92 Post by jdluna »

Rukellian wrote:Welcome back jdluna, glad to hear we have not lost you.
Thanks, good to be back

Luna inquires if Behrun needs some healing...

GronkTheBold
Scout
Scout

#93 Post by GronkTheBold »

jdluna wrote:
"I took quite the scrape fighting that toad and I pretty much feel half-dead, so I can only be massively thankful for your offer. You can use your healing on me if you wish, but you can save it if you know others who need it more than I do." Behrun replies to the Cleric's offer.

jdluna
Guide
Guide

#94 Post by jdluna »

GronkTheBold wrote:
jdluna wrote:
"I took quite the scrape fighting that toad and I pretty much feel half-dead, so I can only be massively thankful for your offer. You can use your healing on me if you wish, but you can save it if you know others who need it more than I do." Behrun replies to the Cleric's offer.
Luna lay his hands on Behrun and whispers a prayer of healing (cast cure light wounds)

[1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

(Heals 4 points)

GronkTheBold
Scout
Scout

#95 Post by GronkTheBold »

Luna lay his hands on Behrun and whispers a prayer of healing (cast cure light wounds)

[1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

(Heals 4 points)
"You have my absolute thanks, great man of the cloth, let us move on after the funeral and see what lurks further in the barrows," Behrun will move with the group after the funeral for Mogullen is completed.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by Distorted Humor »

The funeral is complete, the only things in the nest are two copper candle holders, you would estimate them to be worth around 10-15 gp each.

As the funeral is complete, a wind blows, as if the gods thank you for your mercies to the hireling. You also see that your other hirelings feel better now that they know they will have good funeral if it all goes poorly for them.

Which barrow does the party want to explore next?

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Agathon suggests #11.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Rukellian »

Rukellian nods in agreement, shortly after gathering his bearings. He walks back into his position in the marching order.

jdluna
Guide
Guide

#99 Post by jdluna »

Luna agrees with 11

GronkTheBold
Scout
Scout

#100 Post by GronkTheBold »

Behrun concurs with the proposal to travel to mound 11.

Return to “Adventures in the Barrowmaze”