Action Thread #9 - The Forest

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Action Thread #9 - The Forest

#161 Post by ragnboneshopper »

"That was ... interesting," breathes Thurinor, cleaning and sheathing his blades. He takes a moment to let his eyes adjust to the magical register, hoping he can identify what if any magic might remain on the bodies of the dead but guessing it will be for nought. "It seems we now have a destiny from which we cannot escape, or can we?" He averts his eyes from the scene -- even he is aghast -- and instead sees to the oracle-woman while the rest heal and bandage themselves.

OOC: Ston, you've gotta have a string of 20s coming. Just saving them up for the big bad are you? ;)

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#162 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 6 - Noon - The Forest/The Clearing

Thurinor cannot sense any magical energies emanating from the bodies of the dead women around him.

He moves to tend to the "oracle-woman" and discovers life has left her body. Although she has no wounds on her, apart from the slight trail of blood that had issued from her mouth after she pronounced her rhymes, the woman is as dead as the mutilated bodies around the clearing.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#163 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz, shocked that the bodies morphed right before his eyes while he reached for a feather to pluck, chuckles and says, "I havent seen this much blood since Yori Kerlgortz, of Irongate, began working on his Barber's Aid device."

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#164 Post by zebediah »

Is anyone still injured? If we are all fine I say we prepare do a burial rite to the maiden and her sisters. Then we try to make sense of what we heard from her.

Ogirdor will then start working on a way to bury them.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by onlyme »

Malone wants no part in burying a bunch of strange women. But, he does feel a bit guilty for killing one of them. So, he reluctantly agrees, hoping that will ease that guilt. Ay, that sounds like as good a plan as any. Then, lets get as far away as we can... might be hundreds more coming for all we know.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by onlyme »

Malone continues after some thought...
I, uh, not sure how to bury em... cant we just throw some dirt on em and run?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#167 Post by zebediah »

We can bury them under a cairn if we have enough stones available... Ogirdor looks around trying to assess if that would be feasible Otherwise we should burn their remains so they will not be spoiled by animals.

The ranger will proceed with whatever option is feasible, together with doing the proper rites.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#168 Post by Stonjuz »

zebediah wrote:Otherwise we should burn their remains so they will not be spoiled by animals.
The ranger will proceed with whatever option is feasible, together with doing the proper rites.
"We should rest while we wait for cover of darkness to light any pyre. Or, should we let the smoke serve as a warning to the mountain, not to mess with the Sons of the Elder?; or whatever she called us."

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#169 Post by zebediah »

We have already spent too much time in this area, I say we ready the pyre and go back to our way following the river. It is still noon, we can make good progress under daylight.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Ozborn turns away from the bodies, feeling a bit ill. They must've been under some type of curse. Sad. he then goes over to where the original sister lies to see if she's still alive.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#171 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor briefly and respectfully searches the oracle-woman's person, hoping to find some identifying belonging or symbol to aid in uncovering the mystery of the sisters. Then he also casts about for stones large and numerous enough to raise a cairn over the sisters. "Anyone have oil? A pyre will be quicker. I do not think we need fear attracting attention. It appears we already have it..."

I'm for dealing with this as quickly as possible and heading back to the river way. Time to see this island the lady spoke of, though maybe camp nearby before exploring it...

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#172 Post by saalaria »

I agree RS

Swilbosh helps with whatever method the group chooses to dispose of the bodies. Yet again marvelling at the ways of the 'humans'.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#173 Post by Stonjuz »

ragnboneshopper wrote:Thurinor briefly and respectfully searches the oracle-woman's person, hoping to find some identifying belonging or symbol to aid in uncovering the mystery of the sisters. Then he also casts about for stones large and numerous enough to raise a cairn over the sisters. "Anyone have oil? A pyre will be quicker. I do not think we need fear attracting attention. It appears we already have it..."

I'm for dealing with this as quickly as possible and heading back to the river way. Time to see this island the lady spoke of, though maybe camp nearby before exploring it...
I thought the island was where we found swilbosh?

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#174 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz turns, in hopes that the others are paying more attention to the woman's speech than he was.
"What else in her poem seems of import?" He turns, looking to see some signs of life in the party's eyes.
"What was it she repeated? Ah yes. Something about villans. I got it.
Are they villains? Are they heroes? We are surely the sons of elders, and we are most definitly not villans. What else?
Are they lost, or true and straight? Boy she must have seen us coming, ha. Seen others lost somehow too. Probably lost to her foul, hehe, fowl sisters.
Where doth does this brave band goes? Well, Ogirdor. I would say you done a good job o keeping everybody alive so far. Back to the river then?
They number o'er six, but less than eight. Seven of us, yep,mm,yep. What else she say?"

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#175 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh looks at the dwarf:
"I musssst confesssss my friend I found her sssinging hard to follow. Ssshe did ssssay sssomething about 'where river flowsss and dark onessss go and also to ssseek the eye' so perhapsss we sssshould carry on our previousss coursssse?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by onlyme »

Malone nods. I'd follow the river, like we were. If its wrong, fate will let us know.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#177 Post by zebediah »

Indeed. No point in spending more time here trying to figure out her riddles. If the gods have brought us here they shall take us wherever we are destined to be. Let us return to the riverside and continue following its flow. says the ranger as he starts moving back to the point from where the group originally came.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#178 Post by ragnboneshopper »

EDIT: While readying the bodies of the harpy-women on their funereal pyre, you find a necklace around each of the unfortunate ladies' necks, a fire opal hanging from each. Do you wish to remove the necklaces or examine them more closely before lighting the pyre?

Just to clear up possible confusion, you are all aware that there is a second lake and island further downriver from the Weed Lake where you met up with Swilbosh. At several points during your journey, and most recently while looking out from the top of Hardway Mountain, you saw that the river makes its way out of the valley, winding away into the distance like the coils of a snake and ending in a lake with a small isle in it, much like the head and the eye of a serpent...

Campaign Map (click to enlarge):

The party's most recent travels in and around the Weed Lake area (as best as I can remember; click to enlarge):

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#179 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor removes the necklaces as he prepares the pyre and shows it to the others.

Does the renger/cleric recognize any religious significance to these objects?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Ogirdor, I'd be careful with that. Those poor girls were clearly cursed... And they're all wearing the same necklace...? Seems like some cause and effect to me. Oz takes a few steps away from the jewelry.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”