More Anything Goes

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: More Anything Goes

#341 Post by Alethan »

tooleychris wrote:You are likely to be eaten by a Grue. :)
Great concept for a blog...

http://itispitchdark.blogspot.com/
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by wolfpack »

tooleychris wrote:You are likely to be eaten by a Grue. :)

he must have been a mendicant

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by tooleychris »

Love the wanderer!
"Did I ere?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#344 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Computer +1 wrote:Ahhhhhh forgive my ignorance, this was not a rule I am familiar with. Thanks guys.
I know I've read it before. I wouldn't have enforced it if it wasn't mentioned, but it does make sense. What's an hour of waiting, which can be resolved in a single post (assuming there are no encounters). ;)
Sourcing the idea of requiring rest (mostly this is for my own validation, not to try and drive home a point):
OSRIC Rules, Page 138: Searching The Dungeons wrote: h. Rest: Typically 1 turn in every 6, plus 1 turn after every combat, must be spent resting (i.e. no movement or any other strenuous activity)
Dark Dungeons Rules, Page 148: Fatigue wrote: Fatigue
Creatures that are travelling long distances must rest for a full day for every six days that they travel. Failure to do so results in a cumulative –1 penalty to to-hit and damage rolls due to long term fatigue per six days (or part of six days) of continuous travel after the initial six. This penalty is reduced by 1 for each full day of rest taken.
Delving Deeper, Volume II, The Referee's Guide, Page 12: Rest wrote: One turn of rest is required after a combat or any hour of exploration, and two turns of rest are required after flight or pursuit.
Dungeon Master's Guide (1st Edition), Page 38: Time In The Dungeon wrote: The DM must also know how long it has been since the last time the party took a rest. A party should be required to rest at least one turn in six (remember, the average party packs a lot of equipment), and in addition, they should rest a turn after every time they engage in combat or any other strenuous activities.
Mutant Future (Labyrinth Lord-based rules), Page 36: Rest wrote: Rest
Exploring ruins is strenuous work, and all characters must rest. Characters can explore, fight, or otherwise remain active for 5 turns before needing to rest for 1 turn. If the characters press on without resting, they all suffer a penalty of -1 to hit and damage rolls until they have rested for 1 turn.
... you get the idea.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#345 Post by saalaria »

dmw71 wrote:
saalaria wrote:Woah woah - what? Isn't this a change to the rules? What about us who are still waiting to train to get full benefit of levelling as per previous discussions on this subject? If it isn't a change can you explain how you are deciding what is gained and what isn't? Thanks
I'm learning as we go that sometimes what I thought would be a clever idea when planning this game really does not play out very well in reality; at least not in a play-by-post game. Answer me this:

Has the group had a nights rest since Kaltar reached 3rd level?

Kaltar became third level here: viewtopic.php?p=46999#p46999

Since that post, the group went to the temple, visited the town Mayor, split up briefly while Gwillt and Shannigans tracked the trogs and a few other things before heading out to clear out the troglodyte lair. Unless I missed something (which I don't think I did), there has not been a night of rest since earning the necessary experience.

Having said that, I have made the following two updates to existing house rules, both effective immediately:

08. Critical Hits and Misses
11. Training Costs

Also, as the absence of training costs was a perk normally exclusive to the barbarian class, I have also decided to adjust the amount of experience points they require in order to level. Their new requirements will be double that of a ranger or a paladin, as found on the 'Warrior Experience Levels' table.

Feel free to discuss, question, or otherwise share any thoughts on these changes or anything else here.
Thanks for clarifying Dave - all good now

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#346 Post by dmw71 »

Installing OS X Mavericks on my laptop while I work. Hopefully it all goes smoothly and won't prevent me from logging on remotely on my train ride home.

I love that Apple is releasing their latest and greatest OS for free (take a hint, Micro$oft), but I do miss my PC.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#347 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:Hopefully it all goes smoothly...
Successful update, and it didn't completely drain my battery either. If any updates are necessary, I'll be available.
-- Project --
-- DM --

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by ravenn4544 »

Greetings - can you remind me if we are using the 1E or 2E spell lists?

thanks!
R

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by Rukellian »

I've been personally going off of the 2e spell lists. Though, the spells that I choose are probably 1e too, I try not to pick spells that are too exotic because of this.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#350 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:Greetings - can you remind me if we are using the 1E or 2E spell lists?
If there's ever a question, assume 2E.

I know I am constantly referring to the rules on the Purple Worm website (as I literally do not own a single 2E product) and, as the game has gone on, you may have noticed that I'll start to provide paths for reference (since the URL never changes (except for tables) on the Purple Worm website.

For instance, if asked at which level is a cleric able to attract followers, I would reference my answer like this:

Purple Worm > Player's Handbook > Chapter 3: Player Character Classes > Class Descriptions > Priest > Cleric
"Upon reaching 8th level, the cleric automatically attracts a fanatically loyal group of believers, provided the character has established a place of worship of significant size."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by Zhym »

BTW, as useful as I find the Purple Worm web site, I can only assume it exists through either the inattention or forbearance of WotC and Hasbro. Purple Worm's attempt to use the first sale doctrine to justify putting source books on the web wholesale is, frankly, hilarious.
Last edited by Zhym on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#352 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:If there's ever a question, assume 2E.
Having said that...

I'm always willing to consider allowing spells from other sources. I would just need to be able to reference the details for it, preferably somewhere online. Like, if there are additional spells (or abilities) found in the various "Complete Handbook" for the various classes (I haven't looked at those... yet) that you're interested in, let me know.

I'll consider anything.

I won't necessarily approve everything, but will at least consider it.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#353 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:BTW, as useful as I find the Purple Worm web site, I can only assume it exists through either the inattention or forbearance of WotC and Hasbro. Their attempt to use the first sale doctrine to justify putting source books on the web wholesale is, frankly, hilarious.
Whether the website is truly legal or not is not for me to decide. Their quoting the first sale doctrine and making the material available is enough for me to be comfortable using it. I'm quite positive I could easily locate all the same materials online for illegal download but, while tempted, have never brought myself to do it.

I really, really, really wish they would make the core rulebooks available for sale on the D&D Classics website and I would be all over them. Until then, and for as long as it is available, I will continue to reference the information they provide.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#354 Post by Zhym »

Oh, I use the site. I just think they don't have a legal leg to stand on.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by tooleychris »

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#356 Post by dmw71 »

tooleychris wrote:Screw buying them new. :)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1198121397
Hmmm.... tempting.

Though, I'd much prefer everything in electronic (PDF) format. I love having everything right on my computer or saved to a cloud drive for access anywhere I have a connection.
-- Project --
-- DM --

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by tooleychris »

If you actually own a hard copy, I wouldn't feel so bad about downloading a "free" PDF version... but that's me.

Getting a copy of the old Core Rules Expanded CD is also HIGHLY recommended!
There's NEVER been a better character generator and set of incredible DM tools and it's 20 years old!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#358 Post by dmw71 »

tooleychris wrote:Getting a copy of the old Core Rules Expanded CD is also HIGHLY recommended!
There's NEVER been a better character generator and set of incredible DM tools and it's 20 years old!
Not familiar with this.

Must research. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by tooleychris »

warning Once you experience Core Rules 2 it WILL be the gauge with which you measure all other computer tools with...and they will always fall short of it's glory.
Not sure they made it for MAC...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#360 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:Not familiar with this.

Must research.
Is what you're talking about....
'Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Core Rules 2.0 - PC'
and
'Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Core Rules 2.0 Expansion CD-ROM'?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”