More Anything Goes

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: More Anything Goes

#361 Post by tooleychris »

That's the stuff. BeSt tools ever. And complete with all books in HTML or richtxt format.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#362 Post by dmw71 »

tooleychris wrote:That's the stuff. BeSt tools ever. And complete with all books in HTML or richtxt format.
Do you need them both, or will the 'Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Core Rules 2.0 Expansion CD-ROM' work on its own?

I'm reading through the comments left and haven't found a definitive answer yet.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by tooleychris »

The expansion is a... an expansion. You need Core Rules to run expansion. Honestly it's good by itself but the expansion turns it from a cover band to a rock legend. :D

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by Zhym »

tooleychris wrote:If you actually own a hard copy, I wouldn't feel so bad about downloading a "free" PDF version... but that's me.
Yeah. Even though I have them all in hardcopy, I have the 1st edition PHB, DMG, and UA all on PDF, which is a handy way of having them available at all times. Especially UA, my hard copy of which started falling apart years ago.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#365 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Especially UA, my hard copy of which started falling apart years ago.
I remember that. My brother and I each had our own copies of the 1E rulebooks and the PHB, DMG and monster books were all very solid. The UA was a joke! Neither of our copies survived very long.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#366 Post by dmw71 »

tooleychris wrote:The expansion is a... an expansion.
One thing I think I noticed is that these are Windows-based applications. Not sure if I could install them on a Mac.

Actually, I'm really just interested in the core rulebooks and source materials. Maybe they could be salvaged even if the application itself doesn't work or can't be installed?

It sounds cool, I'll have to do some more research on this before buying something that won't work.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by Zhym »

It's one of the reasons I've hesitated to buy an OSRIC hardcopy. The binding is the same type as UA. PHB, DMG, and MM are all "smythe stitched"; UA is case-bound. The OSRIC hardbacks are case-bound for cost reasons. Although I'm sure it's a better binding than UA got, it's still enough to make me hesitate from buying it.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#368 Post by tooleychris »

I think there are programs for running PC programs on MAC...soft Windows? Not sure. Who actually buys mac products anyway? ;)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by Zhym »

The only way to run Windows stuff on a MAC, other than dual-boot, is with a program like Parallels, VMWare, or VirtualBox, each of which requires a windows installation. It's not bad, but kind of a pain if you only need to run one Windows program.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by tooleychris »

Yeah, that's a bit much for running a program any $100 old WINDOWS BASED laptop would run.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#371 Post by Zhym »

Of course, the worst part is that you'd have to run Windows.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#372 Post by dmw71 »

Wow, I'm finding a ton of stuff available on Scribd. For instance:

AD&D Player’s Handbook 2nd Edition, revised (TSR 2159)
AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide - Revised (Tsr 2160)

This also can't be right. No, it's not. Too bad, because I'd be happy with just the two links above.

Thank goodness for Purple Worm. I'll let them assume that risk. :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#373 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:It's one of the reasons I've hesitated to buy an OSRIC hardcopy. The binding is the same type as UA. PHB, DMG, and MM are all "smythe stitched"; UA is case-bound. The OSRIC hardbacks are case-bound for cost reasons. Although I'm sure it's a better binding than UA got, it's still enough to make me hesitate from buying it.
I'd be hesitant, too.

Of course, I'm really not in the market for physical books so it's kind of a non-issue for me.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#374 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Of course, the worst part is that you'd have to run Windows.
Yeah, I'm familiar with Boot Camp and Parallels and virtual machines, but that would mean I'd have to buy a copy of Windows to actually install.

I like Windows (Windows 7 was pretty solid), and miss the comfort of my PC, but I'm not about to spend whatever crazy price they're charging for the OS, plus go through all the trouble of setting up a Windows environment on my laptop just to run this CD, no matter how cool it is.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the suggestions, though!
-- Project --
-- DM --

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#375 Post by ravenn4544 »

physical books still the best! 1E PHB and DMG i've had around for 30years or so now? sheesh. i'm old.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#376 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:physical books still the best!
Unless 100% of the time spent playing the game is while seated at a computer. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by tooleychris »

dmw71 wrote:
ravenn4544 wrote:physical books still the best!
Unless 100% of the time spent playing the game is while seated at a computer. ;)
+1
I have 1 laptop hooked up to a projector for mapping and visuals, 1 laptop to track characters and rules, and my tablet for combat tracking. Lol.
Might sound extensive but it really speeds all the mechanics up so RP isn't interrupted as much.
Throw in a Soundboard loaded with dungeon, wilderness, city,monster,combat sounds and it's nice atmosphere. :)
Less passing books and more passing pizza!

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#378 Post by Stonjuz »

tooleychris wrote:The expansion is a... an expansion. You need Core Rules to run expansion. Honestly it's good by itself but the expansion turns it from a cover band to a rock legend. :D
I second this :!: and the core rules and the expansion are both set up for 2.5 :!: 8-)

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by tooleychris »

And are VERY adaptable and customizable. This was my favorite toy of yesteryear and if I were to ever run 1st or 2nd edition again it would be on my screen each time we played.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#380 Post by Zhym »

I was looking up trogs this afternoon, and noticed that the stench effect is different in 2nd edition than 1st edition.

1st edition trog stink saps 1 point of strength per round, cumulative, for 1-6 rounds, then lasts 10 rounds after that. 2nd edition trog stink, as you all know too well, saps 1-6 points of strength for 10 rounds.

I'm not sure which is worse. The 1st-edition version gives people who are hit the hardest a few rounds to adjust. The first stink round is at -1 strength for everyone, which is a lot better than finding yourself at -6 right away. But the effect does last a little longer.

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”