Action Thread 9

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 9

#1 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 2:53 p

The shambling mound lies vanquished by the party and the final thrust of the spear of Son of Thunder.

The room is known, but basically unexplored.

Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (24.66 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

[/b]HPs: Malak - -13/15; Varkos - 08/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 16/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 2/6
WIH: Malak: short sword; Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): 1- Malak; Odo; Zafalia; Rake; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 59 minutes (Malak) OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 43 minutes (SoT), 40' radius; lamp 91 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 180 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-3/4, 2-2/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Action Thread 9

#2 Post by saalaria »

I was thinking from an hp perspective - several of us are down with not too much healing left for today - or am I wrong on that?
Varkos begins to search the room.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

saalaria wrote:I was thinking from an hp perspective - several of us are down with not too much healing left for today - or am I wrong on that?
Varkos begins to search the room.

Honestly, we're due for a rest, anyway. This room might be a good one to use. I bet most creatures avoid it, when possible, knowing what lives here.

Poor Malak. :( Any chance of saving him? I don't suspect there is, but... someone should check on him, just to make sure.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by tkrexx »

Malak! Son of Thunder is furious and distraught to the point of hysteria. I walk, I sleep, I eat, I LIVE among green growing things, yet in this damnable place everything green tries to kill us! In his noisome grief he begins again slashing the already expired pile of vegetation, screaming every curse his forefathers taught him, and if this were not enough, finally kicking and stomping the remains about the room.

Yes, rest!

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Vargr1105 »

Rake finished recovering his equipment and looks at the body of their dead comrade with a strange expression on his face. Maybe coming down here wasn't such a good idea after all.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Distorted Humor »

Odo looks at his dead comrade, and the usually jolly thief is stoic, as he closes Malak eyes. He tightens is own clothing, then he says with surprising firmness.

"
"I was a friend of Malak," Odo says, picking up Malak's thieves tools, . "Malak taught me that beasts are most vicious near the end of their lives."

Then he searches the room for traps and goodies and secret passages.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia immediately moves to Malak's side, being prepared to cast her last cure light wounds spell on the eccentric, yet terminally unlucky thief as soon as Son of Thunder finally finishes off the floral assassin. Her eyes get wide and mouth drops open when she realizes that poor Malak is already dead. "He... he is gone!" she blurts out in both surprise and disbelief.

When the ranger loses it, she jumps up to calm him down the best she can. "No!" she yells in a loud whisper as she tries to grab a hold of him around his waist from behind (which I'm sure would look fairly comical, actually...) "It was not your fault, Son of Thunder. He knew the risks. He lived his life free. He spit in the face of both danger and fate. He would not want you, me or any of us to blame ourselves. But even if we do, let us not allow our torrid grief to announce itself so broadly, lest we call more doom down upon us," the young hobbit explains as she hugs the burly ranger. She will so until he calms down and then hugs him again before asking him to the tunnel passage outside the chamber. :D

She then moves back over to kneel next to the dearly departed Malak. She closes her eyes as tears well up and she offers a sudden prayer out of solemn respect tinged with the slightest dash of futility. "Blessed Mother, I beg thee take dearest Malak to your bosom. That he find peace and solace. That he perhaps find life once again with your blessing..."

RIP Malak. Until that day...
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Nuke66 »

Al'Zur searches the room as well, looking to see if it is safe, before turning his attention to the remains of the mound.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 3:00 p

The druidess checks the thief, confirming nothing can be done. After the loss of their comrade in arms, everyone grieves in their own way and soldiers on.

As the ranger decimates the veggie remains of the creature, with Rake looking on, Varkos, Odo, and Al'Zur search the room. It's not a big room, though made awkward by the columns. Al realizes, pretty quickly, that there's no treasure on the Shambling Mound as the ranger leaves not a leaf unturned.

As the three make their way to the back, they see a rather large casket. It's all the way at the back of the chamber, and (apparent by the dropped leaves) the lair of the shambling mound. There is nothing else in this chamber, but the basket looks as if it can hold lots of goodies... and it is closed and has a big ole keyhole in the front of it.

HPs: Malak - -13/15; Varkos - 08/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 16/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 2/6
WIH: Malak: short sword; Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): 1- Malak; Odo; Zafalia; Rake; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 59 minutes (Malak) OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 43 minutes (SoT), 40' radius; lamp 91 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 180 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-3/4, 2-2/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Distorted Humor »

Odo mutters "does the finger key things fit?"

as he checks for traps.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia wraps Malak up in his cloak after she finishes her prayers. She gathers her spear and shield and tries to snap herself out of her grief, finally coming to and looking on nervously as the others search the chamber and eventually find the shambling mound's casket.

"Do be careful, Odo!" she blurts out suddenly, accompanied by a look of admonishment for the unnecessary outburst. She looks back down at Malak, gathers herself again and moves over to stand guard with Son of Thunder by the chamber opening.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar examines the lock to see if the finger keys would fit it. If it does not appear so, she will examine the shambling mound's finger-like-things to see if they might appear to work. If so, she will remove one and try it.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by saalaria »

Varkos will stand by the entrance with Zaf and SoT, leaving the casket to the thieves to examine.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Vargr1105 »

While the rest of the party busies itself with the chest Rake busies himself with Malak's body, doing some experienced plundering on the body to find what may be of use. He eventually sets on taking the following:

Thieves' Tools
10 Chalk pieces
Flask (leather)
Flint and steel
Mirror (small steel)
Needle and thread
Signal whistle
3 Torches
Waterskin
Whetstone
4 Days standard rations

Once his pickings are done he asks the others: "Anyone wants his boots?"

ooc: equipment added to character sheet and encumbrance re-calculated

ooc: Edit: darn, I almost forgot. He also takes the following:

GP: 35
SP: 1
CP: 1

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by tkrexx »

You plunder the dead, I make them dead, the Ranger finally finds his voice again. He was my friend. Varkos, how fare you? We nearly lost you also.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Vargr1105 »

Rake stops his plundering and turns to face Son of Thunder, without rising.

"Well he was my friend too, inasmuch as someone I met by chance and risked my life alongside can be...Don't tell me you're one of those savages who thinks the dead must be buried with all their stuff for use in the afterlife, even if the living be in dire need of them?"

With a shrug he continues.

"Of course, if you insist we can very well leave our deceased companion's gear right here. Maybe stacked on a little pile and arranged by type so that whatever monstrosity happens to trek by finds it, takes it pick and uses it against us or someone else latter?"

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Distorted Humor »

(OOC: I took the thieves tools when I said my goodbye :) )
"I was a friend of Malak," Odo says, picking up Malak's thieves tools, . "Malak taught me that beasts are most vicious near the end of their lives."

Then he searches the room for traps and goodies and secret passages.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by saalaria »

Varkos turns to SoT:
"Very weary my friend - its time to rest. Methinks these wounds will take much time to heal. So our next foray here may be a few days hence. What about you?"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by tkrexx »

Son of Thunder acknowleges Rake's return with a nod, and agrees with Varkos. I didn't think anyone as big as you could be injured, he says with half a smile. Yes, we must tarry here for a time. You should be first to see our Priest, your injuries are grave. With that the Ranger will softly begin humming his song of grief, slit a lock of his hair and place it inside the cloak wrapping the body of Malak. He will return then to guard with Varkos.

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”