Action Thread 17

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Action Thread 17

#81 Post by ToniXX »

Argennian wrote:He instructs Van to hand off the torch to Bruard
Bruard puts his mace on his belt then takes the lantern, still holding his shield in the other hand. First he will determine where he should set it if need be. Once that's determined, he will hold the lantern high with the intent of attracting whatever is approaching on the opposite bank.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 11:10 a

As the party speaks and tries to figure things out, Jeloon grows increasingly impatient. Finally she strips off her armor, grabs her sword, and splashes into the water to swim across. Sorry Dave, even at max height, a ½ orc is still a couple inches off 6’.

As she readies herself to enter the water, Yosef prepares his bow, and has Van get ready. Van hands off the lantern and stows his magic spear, getting his other spears (and javelins) ready to throw. Bruard takes the lantern

At this point the rats on the side of the cavern dive and head toward Jeloon. And, Till hears company coming behind him. Till calls a warning out and then heads to the side of the passageway east to hide in the shadows.

Jeloons wish for the inactivity to end is granted.

Till meanwhile keeps an ear out for what’s coming toward him. The rats don’t seem to be surfacing (though there are bubble trails heading toward Jeloon) and nobody (yet) pops out of the entrance by Till.

What Till hears I’ll handle by PMs for now. Jeloon’s actions I’ll handle in the thread. Jeloon will not need to make an initiative roll and attack rolls. The rats are less than a hit die, which means that Jeloon gets 4 attacks per round, 2 before the rats and 2 after. We’ll keep that number, but (as per the module) she will be subjected to a -4 on her to hit rolls.
Spells and missiles can be used at this point without fear of hitting Jeloon, but once Round 1 starts, then there’s a chance. I’m not sure what kind of modifiers I’m going to use, but figure you are attacking an unseen enemy, and shooting into water, so there’ll definitely be negatives to hit.
Make all actions and rolls in your post.
PM sent to Ethan.
Hey who took the shield from the Ghoul's treasure?

HPs: Jeloon - 23/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 8/10; Bruard - 16/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 54 - Yosef ; 5 - Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Bruard) continual light 60' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-3/4

Helm used 1x today.

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#83 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:.
It's in our treasure list, but I don't think it was ever claimed by anyone. Bruard took the magical shield from the dwarves. Jeloon already has a magical shield (part of her starting equipment).

That leaves Yosef or Van. If Mitch doesn't want it, then I guess Van has it.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#84 Post by dmw71 »

Just to conform, Jeloon can attack (multiple times?) while swimming, just with a -4 penalty per attack, correct?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by rredmond »

dmw71 wrote:Just to conform, Jeloon can attack (multiple times?) while swimming, just with a -4 penalty per attack, correct?
Yes, that's what I'm going to rule. I figure that they are swimming too. So 4 attacks per round, at -4 to hit per attack.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Argennian »

OOC: Ron, Yosef would definitely try and fire at the rats before they engage Jeloon, but not sure that would be possible since they're underwater? If you adjudicate that as possible, what kind of penalty to hit and damage would that equate to?

Alethan wrote:
rredmond wrote:.
It's in our treasure list, but I don't think it was ever claimed by anyone. Bruard took the magical shield from the dwarves. Jeloon already has a magical shield (part of her starting equipment).

That leaves Yosef or Van. If Mitch doesn't want it, then I guess Van has it.
OOC: Yosef doesn't use a shield so let's say that Van has it.

I'm also fairly certain that a detect magic spell was cast on all that stuff back before we departed the outpost? (But admittedly, fairly does not equal certainty!)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote:OOC: Ron, Yosef would definitely try and fire at the rats before they engage Jeloon, but not sure that would be possible since they're underwater? If you adjudicate that as possible, what kind of penalty to hit and damage would that equate to?
There's at least a -4 noseeum to hit. I was thinking about adding more penalties for shooting through the water, but since you have bubbles to guesstimate where the rodents are, and they are clustered, I think I'll leave it at -4 to hit and that's all.

Mitch wrote:OOC: Yosef doesn't use a shield so let's say that Van has it.

I'm also fairly certain that a detect magic spell was cast on all that stuff back before we departed the outpost? (But admittedly, fairly does not equal certainty!)
Detect magic won't tell ya if it's good or bad though. :twisted:
Van it is!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#88 Post by dmw71 »

Clearly affected by the need to swim to stay afloat, Jeloon struggles to attack the approaching rats.

Posting single link to all rolls for Jeloon as I'm on my phone which makes linking difficult, but also because they're the only four rolls made from this device for her:

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... lts&pc=720

To-hit results: 6, 0, 11, 1
In case the 11 miraculously hits, it did 5 damage.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#89 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:Clearly affected by the need to swim to stay afloat, Jeloon struggles to attack the approaching rats.

Posting single link to all rolls for Jeloon as I'm on my phone which makes linking difficult, but also because they're the only four rolls made from this device for her:

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... lts&pc=720

To-hit results: 6, 0, 11, 1
In case the 11 miraculously hits, it did 5 damage.
No worries, Dave. You just make the rolls. I can post the links for you. :)
Jeloon's Rolls:
+1 longsword while swimming [1d20-2] = 3-2 = 1 [1d8+3] = 6+3 = 9
+1 longsword while swimming [1d20-2] = 13-2 = 11 [1d8+3] = 2+3 = 5
+1 longsword while swimming [1d20-2] = 2-2 = 0 [1d8+3] = 7+3 = 10
+1 longsword while swimming [1d20-2] = 8-2 = 6 [1d8+3] = 4+3 = 7

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#90 Post by dmw71 »

No worries, Dave. You just make the rolls. I can post the links for you.
Thanks, but you really didn't need to rub her ineptitude in. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#91 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
No worries, Dave. You just make the rolls. I can post the links for you.
Thanks, but you really didn't need to rub her ineptitude in. ;)
I made no untoward comments! I simply posted data. I don't make fun of bad rolls. You of all people should know that I have enough of them as it is.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Argennian »

Not happy about firing somewhat blindly and into the water but unwilling to forgo the chance to whittle their vermin enemy down and help Jeloon, Yosef quickly fires off two arrows at the submerged bubble-making rodents...

To Hit: Short bow [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22, Damage: Flight arrow [1d6] = 4 (should be a hit regardless on a nat 20!) :P

To Hit: Short bow [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13, Damage: Flight arrow [1d6] = 2 (hits AC 9 with -4 to hit penalty)

rredmond wrote:
Mitch wrote:OOC: ... I'm also fairly certain that a detect magic spell was cast on all that stuff back before we departed the outpost? (But admittedly, fairly does not equal certainty!)
Detect magic won't tell ya if it's good or bad though. :twisted:
OOC: Oh my, quite right! (and so noted!) :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 11:11 a
Round 1

As the rats attack underwater, the party attacks. Jeloon hears two wet *thwips* hit the water to her left. A blood slick on top of the water shows that at least one arrow struck home.

To her other side, Van’s thrown spear also seems to find its target, as it sticks, stops, and starts to sink.

Meanwhile Jeloon starts hacking with her sword, and knows that one of her strokes hit, hard. Then the rats attack. Without her protective armor, she feels the bite of at least 4 rats. Taking 10HPs of damage! The jaws doing their work very effectively.

For Round 2, Jeloon will not need to make an initiative roll and attack rolls. The rats are less than a hit die, which means that Jeloon gets 4 attacks per round, 2 before the rats and 2 after. We’ll keep that number, but (as per the module) she will be subjected to a -4 on her to hit rolls.
The rats did almost MAX damage in their attacks, oh my. Don’t need to make any saving throws (I was having everyone make them, then roll the disease percentage, but I rolled the percentage first this time, Jeloon is good). Make all actions and rolls in your post.
PM sent to Ethan.

HPs: Jeloon - 13/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 8/10; Bruard - 16/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 54 - Yosef ; 5 - Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Bruard) continual light 60' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-3/4

Helm used 1x today.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#94 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:For Round 2, Jeloon will not need to make an initiative roll and attack rolls. The rats are less than a hit die, which means that Jeloon gets 4 attacks per round, 2 before the rats and 2 after. We’ll keep that number, but (as per the module) she will be subjected to a -4 on her to hit rolls.
Jeloon howls in pain as the swimming vermin successfully sneak past her non-existant defenses. Further adding insult to injury, her struggles to combat the vermin while successfully staying afloat continue as she flails wildly, confident of only one solid strike (wasting some outstanding damage rolls).

+1 Longsword (vs. s/m): Underwater (-4 penalty) [1d20-2] = 8-2 = 6 [1d8+3] = 8+3 = 11
+1 Longsword (vs. s/m): Underwater (-4 penalty) [1d20-2] = 19-2 = 17 [1d8+3] = 6+3 = 9
---
+1 Longsword (vs. s/m): Underwater (-4 penalty) [1d20-2] = 2-2 = 0 [1d8+3] = 8+3 = 11
+1 Longsword (vs. s/m): Underwater (-4 penalty) [1d20-2] = 9-2 = 7 [1d8+3] = 8+3 = 11
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Argennian »

OOC: Ron, can Yosef see/pinpoint any giant rats that are NOT now engaged with Jeloon? If so, his declared action would be to fire more arrows at those but if not, he does not want to chance hitting her!

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote:OOC: Ron, can Yosef see/pinpoint any giant rats that are NOT now engaged with Jeloon? If so, his declared action would be to fire more arrows at those but if not, he does not want to chance hitting her!
Unfortunately Jeloon is engaged on all fronts, and various levels. You can see the rats closer to the tops of the water best, but they are still engaged with her. It's a roiling bunch of water that you see around Jeloon, any missile attack will include some possibility of her being hit.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#97 Post by Alethan »

OOC: but anyone with a spear should be able to attack them via melee, or anyone who steps into the water a bit should be able to, as well. I would assume, anyway...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:OOC: but anyone with a spear should be able to attack them via melee, or anyone who steps into the water a bit should be able to, as well. I would assume, anyway...
There's nothing, except 6 feet of water, precluding others from joining combat. I'll wait a bit, in case folks want to do something.

Jeloon does have one hit in that slew of attacks. :)

PM to Al.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Argennian »

Seeing that all the rats are now engaged and knowing any further bow shots would likely risk hitting Jeloon, Yosef quickly slings his bow and draws his longsword as he voices his frustrations. "Damn it all! We should have tied that rope around her waist to be able to pull her back out! She's too far out now and if she remains there, they'll have her!" he decries in manner of desperation that's most unelf-like.

He steps forward, attempting to gauge the distance of how far into the water he could jump if he got a running start. "Jeloon! You have to swim for it! Either back this way or towards the other side!"

OOC: Ron, I know there's some water in the western passage prior to the drop off in the room where Jeloon is, but trying to figure out how far eastward Yosef could jump towards the other side. How about if he got a running start?

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by rredmond »

She didn't get too far in before the attack.
And the water is only inches deep in the passageway, then the steep drop off when the passage hits the room.
Yosef could jump right next to Jeloon if he wanted.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”