Action Thread 4: The Sprice Trident Isles!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 4: The Sprice Trident Isles!

#21 Post by dmw71 »

Not knowing the intent of this giant bird (or the druid), but also not wanting to wait until becoming engulfed or carried off to some ariel lair, Caelvanna will send a single arrow at the winged creature -- like a warning shot -- while it is still at its long distance (150'). If the bird doesn't veer its course, or its actions prove to be in other ways hostile, Caelvanna won't hesitate to send annother arrow or two at the incoming target: her second arrow when the creature enters medium range (100') and her final arrow once it is in close (50') (if possible).

Short Bow (L: 101-150') [1d20] = 13 [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8
Short Bow (M: 51-100') [1d20+2] = 7+2 = 9 [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7
Short Bow (S: 0-50') [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24 [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5

C'mere... birdie, birdie, birdie. ;)
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:
tkrexx wrote:Anyone mind if the Druid tries that Speak With Animals spell again? It'll be dicey, considering the spell range (4") and the speed of the owl's descent.
In 1e, outdoor range is 1" = 10 yards. So you have a range of a 40 yard radius, which ends up being almost the full length of a football (American) field. It will work for several rounds, which means at some point the creature will be within your area of effect. I say go for it. :)
OOC: In OSRIC, the range is within 40 feet of the caster at the completion of the spell. The spell has a 3 segment casting time and can be started early so as to be timed to complete when the approaching animal is within 40 feet (btb).

The giant owl will be at the longboats in 6 segments if it maintains it's current speed/heading and doesn't veer off. So Emm would have to start casting her spell within 3 segments of the round beginning, since no initiative was called for.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote:
Alethan wrote:
tkrexx wrote:Anyone mind if the Druid tries that Speak With Animals spell again? It'll be dicey, considering the spell range (4") and the speed of the owl's descent.
In 1e, outdoor range is 1" = 10 yards. So you have a range of a 40 yard radius, which ends up being almost the full length of a football (American) field. It will work for several rounds, which means at some point the creature will be within your area of effect. I say go for it. :)
OOC: In OSRIC, the range is within 40 feet of the caster at the completion of the spell. The spell has a 3 segment casting time and can be started early so as to be timed to complete when the approaching animal is within 40 feet (btb).

The giant owl will be at the longboats in 6 segments if it maintains it's current speed/heading and doesn't veer off. So Emm would have to start casting her spell within 3 segments of the round beginning, since no initiative was called for.
Ah, you're right. It is the same in 1e. I was thinking range and not AOE.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by tkrexx »

Hearing the twang of Caelvanna's bow spurs Emm to action. Hold fire! Stand ready, but hold! This may be the path to knowlege of the Isle. First assuring herself that no more show of force will come from her company, yet being equally certain a response will follow any attack made by the huge avian, Emm stands as best she is able in the small craft to give the approaching predator full view of her. Pausing until the perfect moment, she begins humming a poem familiar perhaps to her companions. When she speaks, her voice is hardly recognizable to those who have become so familiar with her.

Speak With Animals

O Great Master/Mistress of the Night Sky, spare our lives! We have come in search of you, and the wisdom you have of your island home. Please share your favor, if we are able we will return it. Know we are humble pilgrims seeking rest and food on your shores. Grant your permission, Shadow of the Moon, and our knowlege will be yours.

Emm knows this is a desperate gamble, and she is fully aware her comrades are trusting her with their very lives.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by Alethan »

Not fully trusting Emm with his very life, Bog remains vigilant with his spear at the front of the craft...

OOC: ;)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Argennian »

OOC: 8-)

*** Based on Emm's Declared Actions, I'll need confirmation from Dave to see if Caelvanna will be holding her second and/or third shot before I can resolve the round's action. ***

(Note: all reaction rolls for those NPCs with missile weapons have already been made!)
:)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by tkrexx »

My biggest concern isn't combat with the bird, but if it actually listens. Think that's all I wanna say for now.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by dmw71 »

Argennian wrote:I'll need confirmation from Dave to see if Caelvanna will be holding her second and/or third shot
Confirmed.

Calevanna hears Emm call out to cease fire after she lets loose her first arrow. While it goes against her instincts, she finds herself relaxing the draw on her bow. Not knowing what the druid has in mind, she will stand readied, but will hold her fire after her first shot. There better be a good reason for this," she thinks to herself.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The giant owl eventually approaches...

#29 Post by Argennian »

~ The giant owl heads straight for the landing force and as soon as it's in range, Caelvanna, Zimba and Sorel instinctively let fly. The massive avian twists to avoid the Wild elf's flight arrow and the half-elf easterner's heavy quarrel but moves right into the path of the southerner's shot. The weighty missile penetrates the creature's chest on the right, eliciting a snapping of it's beak and deep chirp. It instantly changes course, banking away to it's right down near the surface of the water.

"Hold fire! Stand ready, but hold! This may be the path to knowledge of the Isle!" cries out the druidess as she gets to her feet and assesses the avian's location and disposition.
"Hold your fire!" bellows Ziller deeply, lowering his readied short bow. Arak, Gramps, Hammal, Mila and Yousef check up with their heavy crossbows as Caelvanna reluctantly holds on her next arrow and gives Emm a sideways if not incredulous glance. In the other longboat, Billy lowers an already-leveled wand ever so slightly and looks over at Sheba as she jumps up to see what the commotion is all about and stares fixated at the large winged predator. After a second, she makes a high-pitched and very strange, almost protesting whinny-bark.

Although the giant owl never looked away, it appeared discouraged from being hit, almost as though it would disengage and glide away. It's huge yellow eyes suddenly get wider, as if in response to Sheba's whines. It banks to it's left and back westward, and begins to make as if to circle the landing party counterclockwise. Emm begins humming a poem while turning carefully to the left in the boat to face the bird, checking it's distance and bearings at all times. Bogdan and Ulrich have their weapons ready and look at the druidess unbelievably and the owl calculatedly.
"I hope you know what you're doing, Emm," Ziller opines, never taking his eyes off the owl or his hand off his readied arrow. Sorelle has reloaded and Zimba makes to reload his primary crossbow. Sheba makes the strange whine-bark again as she follows the massive avian with her own large yellow eyes.

The giant owl gathers altitude again with a few quick flaps of it's wings and makes a high-pitched hoot in response. Sheba goes crazy and bites Billy on the hand. The old master thief cries out in both surprise and pain and everyone in the boat has a whiskey tango foxtrot juliet hotel moment.
"Wait!" cries Billy in astonishment as he lowers the wand and regards his agitated companion. Sheba looks at him in anticipation and makes a funny purr and nod of her head. Billy finally looks as if realization has finally slapped him rudely across the face. His eyes get wide as he looks back up to the giant owl. It continues to circle and stare back at the party, it's huge ocular orbs fixed longingly. Blic and the others on the Seahawk see it now and begin intensive scrutinizations in an alarmed manner. Billy looks back at Sheba. "Tell it we're sorry. We meant it no harm!" he offers quickly.

The alien-looking canine makes the funny, whiny bark on command but it quickly changes to a a higher, sharper pitch. The yellow-eyed predator continues to circle, just past long range of the conventional missile weapons. It stares threateningly with it's massive predatory oculars and then finally turns and assesses the Seahawk as it glides between her and the longboats. The crew already have it in their sites and look like they might fire at any moment. Ziller waves them off and they signal their acknowledgements grudgingly.

Sheba continues to make the funny whine, never taking her eyes off the owl. The owl finally hoots again. Sheba barks at Billy and shakes her head strangely. Emm continues with her poem and watches the large predator circle while everyone else looks on and at each other wondering what in the nine hells is going on. Ziller is visibly unhappy about being stalled, sitting ducks so close to shore and calls out to the old thief. "Billy?!"
"Wait!" he responds, putting his hand up. Sheba makes more weird sounds and waits for a response. The massive avian finally answers, this time with more volume and intent.

Sheba turns and barks at Billy as suddenly the giant owl banks left and straight towards you to close the distance. Emm's poem takes on a sudden presence. The words become unintelligible as she makes a circular gesture with her hands. The hulking avian flaps it's massive wings and covers the distance surprisingly quick, to the obvious surprise and displeasure of the entire landing party. Missile weapons come up and prepare to fire again. "Hold your fire!" cries Ziller as he looks sideways at Emm.

The giant owl closes on the two longboats. It's definitely focused on Emm as she stands there purposefully making herself the easiest target. It almost smiles as it lifts it's massive talons in anticipation. The druidess finishes spinning her arms and singing her magical tune and suddenly the focused predator checks up at the last possible moment. It's huge, deadly-looking talons close and drop down and it passes the longboat silently before anyone can feel the swish of air mixed heavily with fear. Emm cries out to it in a desperate, indecipherable plea. The owl banks up and makes an incredibly tight spin to come to a hover over her. A combination adrenaline shot of danger, fear and uncertainty grips the rest of the landing force as the the druid speaks more of the unintelligible magical words of nature to the hulking avian as it hovers silently in place and regards her intently.

The owl listens to the entirety of Emm's earthly-divine proclamation and then assesses the rest of the party in both boats. It seems to realize that if it makes one wrong move, it's gonna get blown out of the early evening sky. It makes a series of quick hoots* back at the druidess and flexes its talons while it awaits her response...

* PM sent to tkrexx!

~ Unless anyone wants to declare an action or make known any inclinations and/or intentions, we'll wait for Emm to respond!

OOC: okay, got a new modem and the game is afoot once again, my good and most patient people! Updating the NPC thread and will post as such when completed.

(Nuke: Another PM sent for Lauranna)

HPs/Status: Bog 28/28 ; Caelvanna 25/25 ; Emm 10/10 ; Griffo** 22/24 ; Ulrich 16/16 ; Lauranna 9**/9 ; Thalion** 12/12 (**-conscious but incapacitated)
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – spear/longsword ; Caelvanna – short bow (1 arrow fired) ; Emm – scimitar/SC ; Griffo – none ; Ulrich – mace/SC ; Lauranna – none ; Thalion – none (SC = spell component/spell to cast)
M.O./Location In Longboat One: (standing:) Emm ; (seated:) Bogdan , Caelvanna ; Ulrich ; Still on the ship: Lauranna** , Griffo** , Thalion** (**-wounded/conscious but incapacitated)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by Alethan »

Bog does nothing further, waiting for Emm to finish whatever it is she is doing...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#31 Post by dmw71 »

Caelvanna lowers her bow, but keeps it and an arrow in hand... just in case.
-- Project --
-- DM --

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by tkrexx »

Though Emm does not take her eyes from the owl, she feels the gazes of others on her. She takes a deep breath and gulps, keenly aware of the scimitar-like talons mere feet away from her.

Do not all of your prey show their claws before your might? Can you see I am protecting you, as well as those with me, at the risk of my own life? I am not your enemy, Eyes of the Isle, I am a servant of the Lord of the Forest and Nature, thus I am charged with protecting all of His children. Protecting, and healing. I understand if you do not trust us. Humans and their ilk are selfish, thoughtless and often cruel to the Aerth. I am here to assure the balance is kept. No more than we need, and none of that which your young need...But not without your permission. If you will it, we will turn from this island and seek what we need from another.

The Priestess gulps again.

I am afraid of you, Mistress, but it is my responsibility to ask if I may at least heal the blood away from your wound, so you might hunt again for your young.

At this point Emm will slowly reach down and unbuckle the blade from her waist and let it fall to the deck, keeping her stare into the angry yellow eyes of the great bird.
everyone in the boat has a whiskey tango foxtrot juliet hotel moment.
"
lmao!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Emm continues to communicate with the giant owl...

#33 Post by Argennian »

~ The giant owl listens intently to the druid's plea and watches her unstrap her blade as it continues to hover silently and effortlessly in place a mere dozen feet above her. The quiet wash of its great wings blowing the cool, early evening air in your faces is truly eerie. It focuses it's great yellow eyes upon each of you even harder, as if making individual assessments. It's a feeling of imminent threat heavily laced with raw fear to have the deadly predator so close, especially when it fixes it's attentions on you.

The moments between Emm's pleas and the giant owl's silent consideration strain everyone's nerves. The feeling of impending doom threatens to break nerves and shatter the almost impossible, impromptu armistice. The status condition hangs by the thinnest of threads over a certain DefCon-One condition. Sheba breaks the harrowing silence and contemplations with a muffled little bark that makes most jump. Thankfully nothing is discharged in retort and the giant bird of prey considers the funny-looking canine as she whines and whimpers anticipatively. The owl looks upon each of you again before turning it's feathery-horned head and huge ocular sensors back upon the druidess.

It makes a series of shallow hoots again in response, these much quicker, and appears to be awaiting Emm's response...

* Another PM sent to tkrexx! :)

~ As stated previously, anyone is free to declare an action or make known any inclinations and/or intentions, otherwise we'll wait for Emm to respond here!

HPs/Status: Bog 28/28 ; Caelvanna 25/25 ; Emm 10/10 ; Griffo** 22/24 ; Ulrich 16/16 ; Lauranna 9**/9 ; Thalion** 12/12 (**-conscious but incapacitated)
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – spear/longsword ; Caelvanna – short bow (1 arrow fired) ; Emm – scimitar/SC ; Griffo – none ; Ulrich – mace/SC ; Lauranna – none ; Thalion – none (SC = spell component/spell to cast)
M.O./Location In Longboat One: (standing:) Emm ; (seated:) Bogdan , Caelvanna ; Ulrich ; Still on the ship: Lauranna** , Griffo** , Thalion** (**-wounded/conscious but incapacitated)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by tkrexx »

Emm lowers her head and tightly closes her eyes. It is as she feared. For seconds that seem an eternity she is silent, and when she finally issues a long, sad sigh she does not lift her head. My friends, she addresses the party softly, trembling. Please, I beg you, lower your weapons. The great owl will take me, and you must allow this. It will be safe to land these boats and set defenses. If I... You must leave before morn if... Master Ziller, will you ask Lauranna to look after Sam? I fear the child will not understand. She lifts her eyes to the owl, obviously fighting tears, and responds in the weird tongue of its kind.

It is fair.

The young Druid slowly lifts her arms slightly and waits.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by Alethan »

"What are you talkin' about doing, Emm?" growls Bog.

"You don't need to sacrifice yourself for some stupid ship repairs. We'll go elsewhere. Or remove the danger," he adds, glaring at the owl.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by tkrexx »

Bogdan, The Druid whispers, her dark eyes flickering to the Warrior, knowing his courage and passion may lead to disaster. It's no sacrifice. Think of me as... insurance. Trust me? Collect only what the ship needs for repairs, vegetation and fresh water, if it is to be found. All game, large and small, belongs to the Great Owl.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#37 Post by Alethan »

Bogdan nods warily.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Ziller assesses Emm and the Giant Owl...

#38 Post by Argennian »

"I don't like this, Emm. We need to bring the ship into that hidden cove and it'll take days to make those repairs. We try and sail west with the ship as it is and happen to run into any navy ships, we could be finished. It wants us to leave it and it's food sources alone? Fine with me. But we are landing the ship and not even this great owl is going to stop us," growls Ziller determinedly as he lies down his bow but makes a look over at Billy in the other boat. The retired master thief gets the signal and already has his wand leveled at the giant owl from the hip. There are still fingers on triggers in the other boat as well.

~ Although the giant owl hovering above cannot understand the half-orc or the halfling, it seems to sense the mounting tension and lets off a series of quick hoots at the druidess*...

* PM going out

OOC: absolutely great stuff, Rexx!
8-)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by tkrexx »

Emm's attention is again on the Owl, listening intently, then she turns to her companions a final time. She assures me I will not be a hostage. A slight smile graces her lips as she sees what those with her are ready to risk for her. This is my choice, as it has been for Druids thru the ages, to bridge the gap between our kind and the natural world. The ship will be safe, as will we, once truce has been made. I haven't much more time before the ability to speak with the Mistress is lost to me. Please, she is wounded, yet has halted her attack. She is trusting me, can we not afford her the same? If we are to be safe here, we need her trust! There is much we can learn from her, about these islands, and what other visitors have been here. I need you to lower all weapons, she is waiting.

Emm again addresses the Owl. My young is on the ship, yonder. I would see our young tread the same island, when you see our intentions are true. My choice is made, Mistress. I will earn your trust.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by Alethan »

Bog sets his weapon down and crosses his arms, clearly not happy with the plan, but lacking any other ideas.

Return to “A New Hope to the West”