Chapter 1: The Black City

Eric.D
Eric.D
Scout
Scout

Re: Chapter 1: The Black City

#21 Post by Eric.D »

The man laughs as the rest of the group starts to break apart and put their weapons down. "It is only bad luck if it is a good animal. Bassam has had the misfortune of being under your ass too long, it has broken him."

He gestures expansively to the ridge behind, "You are all welcome to stay as long as you can feed yourselves. The gods above and below would have us dead in the sands if we denied you. Besides, what would I rake up here, now that I cannot go home? The sand does not sprout even if you water it, Farouk. Come, come, bring your animals, we will help you set up your tents."

They do, with the efficiency of ones who have spent years setting up tents every day.

The encampment is spartan, with just the tents, the camels, a few amphora and the fire visible. There's not quite enough space in the tents for every man to sleep at once, and the ground inside them is bare. The fire burns in the center of the camp, hot and constantly fed even in the heat of the summer day. The scent of the burning camel dung mixes with the scent of barley; a worn old man with a crooked smile sits beside it, carefully laying out sheets of dough on a flat stone next to the fire, flipping them with his bare fingers and placing them in a woven basket as they finish cooking.

Though rough looking, the men are friendly and helpful, if thoroughly impolite.

One man with only one hand and several missing teeth makes a point of leering at Finnithir and Lilly as he awkwardly helps stake a tent, muttering under his breath more than loud enough to be heard, "What sins did your parents commit? Why have the gods done this to you?" He looks at the ground as he says it, and rocks his head back and forth strangely, blinking his eyes.

As the tents are being set up, Sabit approaches Suen, standing very close beside him. "It could be useful," she whispers, "Knowing these men are here. If we can discover who is in charge, you could make sure that they serve our needs."
She looks into Suen's face, smiling, unflinching at the sight of the strange, otherworldly eyes, but the smile is fixed and there is no happiness behind it. It is the smile of a predator toying with her prey. "You are so very useful to the church sometimes, little brother. What would I ever do without you?"

Looking through Maximillian's eyes, Arzon purrs with inhuman vocalizations, "None of these. He would not be pleased with them. We must find someone better."
VVhite-Crow wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:05 am Later that evening when the group has settled, I want to speak to a outlaw that dared to venture further into the city and ask him about his knowledge about the red diamond. Aside from that I would like to trade the goods I brought for rations and (if available) interesting trinkets from the city.
Absolutely. Finding someone with knowledge like this is a Circles test. I strongly prefer the updated Circles rules in the Anthology, they are a bit more precise. I would suggest that you are looking for one of two options:
Someone with general knowledge of Telkomel (Ob 2)
Someone with specific knowledge of Telkomel (Ob 3)

If you just want to know about the city, general knowledge is sufficient. For info on the diamond itself, you need specific knowledge. You can pick exactly what you're looking for and make a roll on it. Remember to name them if you beat the Ob!

Trading your goods can be covered through roleplay, or, if you prefer, reduced to a single Haggling roll. Given that you have a Peddler and Smuggler LP, I'm okay if you have a few items to sell, but keep their value reasonable. :)

I am waiting to introduce Ku-Aya until after nightfall. I suspect one of these situations might develop and require Nutesh to respond prior to that happening.

VVhite-Crow
Strider
Strider

#22 Post by VVhite-Crow »

I imagined the outlaws to be minimalistic self sufficient. Maybe a pitiful field down by the river with a few rows of gnarly Pumpkins, Peppers and something to bake the mentioned bread with. If you are generous they could even have a few skinny goats.
Regarding the Circles roll I go for the Ob3 one. (I swear I decided before actually rolling the dice)B2 Circles + Affiliation +Reputation + 1Persona[_5d6s4]=(2, 6, 4, 2, 5)=3=3 If we had persona to start with that would be a success. Otherwise not...

Eric.D
Scout
Scout

#23 Post by Eric.D »

Mekertu is the eldest of the outlaw group, and has lived near Telkomel since he was a boy. If anybody knows anything, it will be him. He is sharpening a knife as Farouk draws near, carefully honing it with a stone, picking it up and peering at the edge every few minutes, then returning to his honing.
"What do you need, Farouk? Can't you see I am busy?"
VVhite-Crow wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:56 amI imagined the outlaws to be minimalistic self sufficient. Maybe a pitiful field down by the river with a few rows of gnarly Pumpkins, Peppers and something to bake the mentioned bread with. If you are generous they could even have a few skinny goats.
Regarding the Circles roll I go for the Ob3 one. (I swear I decided before actually rolling the dice)B2 Circles + Affiliation +Reputation + 1Persona[_5d6s4]=(2, 6, 4, 2, 5)=3=3 If we had persona to start with that would be a success. Otherwise not...
The probably are, but this is a desert, so it's doubtful they're growing much. They will have a few goats in the area and probably some vegetables, but more likely from foraging and plunder. Don't worry, they'll trade with you!

This game will have to function on trust at some level, being a PBP, so I accept your roll.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Marullus »

Nutesh loiters behind, observing impassively the rituals of greeting among the passionate beduin men. As they look to him as a 'friend of Farouk' he returns their looks blankly. "....Nutesh," he introduces himself simply, before moving off to a few paces further from the others, outside the encampment and begins tracing sigils and lines in the dust and upon the stones with charcoal.

The raven flies low quarking over the gathering before settling on a cliff ledge and watching him work.
Using his 'Cold' trait against himself perhaps for a Fate point.

With his 1D reputation as 'Nutesh, the Acquirer," others may have heard of him anyway.

hidetzugu
Strider
Strider

#25 Post by hidetzugu »

Eric.D wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:23 am One man with only one hand and several missing teeth makes a point of leering at Finnithir and Lilly as he awkwardly helps stake a tent, muttering under his breath more than loud enough to be heard, "What sins did your parents commit? Why have the gods done this to you?" He looks at the ground as he says it, and rocks his head back and forth strangely, blinking his eyes.
Lilly is caught starting to prepare a light meal of dried meat and fruits. She looks up:
"My parents' sins are between me and them, little man. As for the gods..." - She plays a bit with the paring knife, rotating it between her fingers of one hand and then the other. - "They seem to be more offended by your."
My intent here is get him to back off, and the task is to invoke shame and humiliation at his own disabilities (Lilly can be mean apparently). I'm angling for unskilled Ugly Truth if a roll is required (and would take Help from Finnithir if he would provide a line) [though you might decided the knife in hand makes it explicit enough for intimidation].

VVhite-Crow
Strider
Strider

#26 Post by VVhite-Crow »

Farouk approaches the old man with two crude clay cups, filled with steaming water and a few loose tea leafs in them. "Mekertu, good to see you. I was hoping to catch you in camp."Farouk carefully places one of the cups in the sand next to Mekertu. "Do you remember the first time I came here?" He opens his hand and offers his counterpart a few small pieces of candy sugar to add to the tea. "You know, I was certain you where insane... entering city all alone..."Farouk slowly shakes his head and chuckles. "By the looks of it I turned out to be the mad one..." - and after a few heartbeats of silence. "The people I arrived with and I are going to enter the city as well. We'll go deep... As deep as needed, to get the red diamond..." Farouk blows onto his brew, trying to hide his discomfort and giving the old man time to lay down his work. When he meets Mekertus eye he straightens his back and asks: "Do you have any idea where we should start? If a living soul knows this place it's certainly you, sadiqi."
If the GM is cool with it I would like to establish that Telkomel became as large as it was because of the riches that could be mined from the mountains with City of Telkomel-wise. One of them being the red diamond.

Xilef1110
Squire
Squire

#27 Post by Xilef1110 »

Maximilian keeps mainly to himself. His dinner consists of rations: bread, cheese, and some mystery meat jerky. He uses the time to get used to his new tail, sending the occasional whip crack through the camp. When Farouk begins talking to Mekertu, Max perks up and listens in. If the opportunity presents itself, he brings up the possibility of sending a summon into the city to scout or to call upon one of the dead in the city. There must be plenty. He won't neglect to mention someone else would have to cover any material cost the spirit would demand. No one with money would venture into this city after all.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Enoch »

As the tents are being set up, Sabit approaches Suen, standing very close beside him. "It could be useful," she whispers, "Knowing these men are here. If we can discover who is in charge, you could make sure that they serve our needs."
She looks into Suen's face, smiling, unflinching at the sight of the strange, otherworldly eyes, but the smile is fixed and there is no happiness behind it. It is the smile of a predator toying with her prey. "You are so very useful to the church sometimes, little brother. What would I ever do without you?"
"Oh, ah, do you--do you think so? Ah, I suppose you're right."

Suen wanders up to where Farouk speaks with the bandits, swallowing hard just before he ateps into the ring of firelight. "Farouk, aren't you going to introduce us to your friends?"
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

hidetzugu
Strider
Strider

#29 Post by hidetzugu »

Xilef1110 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:14 am Maximilian keeps mainly to himself. His dinner consists of rations: bread, cheese, and some mystery meat jerky. He uses the time to get used to his new tail, sending the occasional whip crack through the camp. When Farouk begins talking to Mekertu, Max perks up and listens in. If the opportunity presents itself, he brings up the possibility of sending a summon into the city to scout or to call upon one of the dead in the city. There must be plenty. He won't neglect to mention someone else would have to cover any material cost the spirit would demand. No one with money would venture into this city after all.

OOC:
I'll let Eric respond to my interaction with the old man first but I'd pull you in to discuss that possibility

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

Clarifying intent:
  • I am pausing for the GM to add any consequences to using the trait against myself with the NPCs we're meeting
  • Drawing the circination fortress is color. It's an instinct, so I assume we'll actually roll it only if it becomes relevant.
  • I posted Ku-Aya notes in the Discord to spur ideas. The GM can choose to add her (and color her actions, like he did so awesome with on Sabit above!) as it gets dark. If not, I'll add her in my own next move(s).
  • I have the belief about getting what we need before entering the city and using Alagash's name in doing it. That will manifest as a circles roll with these guys that includes my Infamous Reputation (and personal reputation). I don't know IC what we need before entering, though, so that'll probably require either me using Great Wizard-wise for what we'll find in the last king's chambers or getting something from Ku-Aya conversation. (Beginner's luck Obscure History with help from Ku-Aya, perhaps, or she just gives us a hint. Depending on GM's presentation/RP...)

Eric.D
Scout
Scout

#31 Post by Eric.D »

In spite of the fact that these men clearly like their privacy from the world, there is palpably little privacy between them. A few glance wonderingly at Nutesh as he leaves the camp to keep his own company. "A strange man," whispers one of them to another, "Did you see the ghurab 'aswad? He goes to the dead city, bringing a bird that smokes and eats the dead. An evil sign. Praise be to the gods who protect us from evil."
Marullus wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:22 amUsing his 'Cold' trait against himself perhaps for a Fate point.

With his 1D reputation as 'Nutesh, the Acquirer," others may have heard of him anyway.

Definitely! Remember that you get Fate when your traits cause trouble or changes the story in some way. The Anthology also advises using them as a barometer for Embodiment persona points, which may be my favorite way to use them. As of now, I would say you are working toward a Fate point, but will need to push it a bit more so it causes more serious trouble for you.
As the night falls, nobody approaches Nutesh as he makes his circle. In fact, as what he is doing becomes apparent, they begin to shy away from his presence, giving sideways glances and muttering under their breath about "demons" and "summoners."

It is a dark night, with a waning crescent moon. As the night falls, the sound of jackals picks up... and occasionally something else. Like a whisper on the wind.

"You know I cannot pass through your circle," her voice, soft, soporific, accented in a strange, mellifluous way, carries a hint of reproach and amusement. Her shape, dim and distant, a memory from childhood, is slight and shifts strangely, smoke in a breeze, but as beautiful as you remember. Ku-Aya, of the Black Citadel, once a slave just like you. "You have traveled far. What is this place?"
I am leaving this pretty open-ended, as I want you to nail down the details of this relationship, and then we can continue. ;)
Mekertu glances up, scrunches his mouth together and peers at Farouk with sharp eyes. "I did not visit the city for idle curiosity, sadiq. My people have known the Black City since it was not a ruin. The stories are lost now, but we bring an offering every five years. It is what the Elders told us must be done," he shrugs, "I am the only one left to do it. Perhaps when I am dead there will be nobody left, and then we will know why it was necessary."

He stands up, looks at the edge of his blade once more and puts knife and honing stone way in a hidden pocket beneath his robes.

"I might know, but it is dangerous to take from the dead, Farouk. I do not know if I can help you with this."
I am okay with using your City of Telkomel-wise to establish this detail. Ob 3. If you fail, there will be a much more... interesting source of their wealth. :) Mekertu will correct you when you suggest this detail, in that case. I am also okay with Maximillian interjecting into this conversation with his idea. Be aware that summoning is frowned upon, so that may have some interesting results.
"Little man?" the man staring at Finnithir and Lilly blinks, a confused look coming over his face.

"You heard what she said, stranger. We have not insulted you. Apologize, before we cut out your tongue," Finnithir draws a knife and pulls it across a finger demonstratively.
This definitely feels more like Intimidation to me, as you're trying to get him to back down. If so, Ob4. Finnithir will help with a die. If you fail, he will be amused rather than threatened. On a success, you may move on to make any other appropriate Test you'd like in the moment as he hesitates.

hidetzugu
Strider
Strider

#32 Post by hidetzugu »

Eric.D wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:28 pm "Little man?" the man staring at Finnithir and Lilly blinks, a confused look coming over his face.

"You heard what she said, stranger. We have not insulted you. Apologize, before we cut out your tongue," Finnithir draws a knife and pulls it across a finger demonstratively.
This definitely feels more like Intimidation to me, as you're trying to get him to back down. If so, Ob4. Finnithir will help with a die. If you fail, he will be amused rather than threatened. On a success, you may move on to make any other appropriate Test you'd like in the moment as he hesitates.
My goal is (well... was) just get him to back-off, not to escalate any further. That said, I failed:
[5d6s4]=4

Eric.D
Scout
Scout

#33 Post by Eric.D »

hidetzugu wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:32 pm
Eric.D wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:28 pm "Little man?" the man staring at Finnithir and Lilly blinks, a confused look coming over his face.

My goal is (well... was) just get him to back-off, not to escalate any further. That said, I failed:
[5d6s4]=4
"It's a joke!" A flash of understanding comes over him, "Because you are little, and so you called me little."

The revelation seems an honest one. Another man next to him calls, "Ignore Urkazzar, he's a good man, but if you listen to him speaking you'll end up wanting to kill him."

"Yes," says Urkazzar, rocking his head, "I am Urkazzar. They brought me here because I killed my cousin. They were supposed to kill me, but they didn't."

The other man moves over, "And I have never told that to anybody who is not from our group, Urkazzar. Silence yourself, for the gods will drive me to walk mad in the sands if you keep talking."

He turns towards Lilly and Finnithir, bowing graciously, "I am Herzebuh. I apologize that Urkazzar has offended. As I say, he is a good man, but the gods, they did not bless him with words."

Urkazzar grasps Herzebuh's arm, whispering urgently, "I did not say anything that was not true. The priests tell that people who are not like others are signs of the father's sins."

Herzebuh turns toward him, gently, "Not now, Urkazzar. This is not the right time."

"Oh," says Urkazzar. He stops moving and his eyes look off distantly, as though thinking of something difficult.

"I will care for the camels—"turning to Lilly"—I like camels." His face is lit with a smile as he trudges off, never apologizing, seemingly still unaware of his offense.

Herzebuh breaths a sigh as he does. "I apologize again. He is a good man, I promise. Perhaps I can apologize by helping you make camp?"

VVhite-Crow
Strider
Strider

#34 Post by VVhite-Crow »

Regarding Suens interaction with Farouk:
Enoch wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:52 am "Farouk, aren't you going to introduce us to your friends?"
this will likely happen short after reaching the camp and before Farouk starts trading and talk to Mekertu.
He turns to Suen with a suspicious look on his face. His eyes shift from Suens chest to his sister, further to the members of the cult, setting up camp, and back to Suens chest. "I see no reason for you to deal with these people. We sleep here and tomorrow we are gone."
Farouks Paranoid Trait kicks in. He's not used to talk about the people he trades with. I think it's not a secret to the party that the people in camp are rejected or even hunted by society but having someone trying to get their trust with no obvious reason makes Farouk nervous. Especially when the person asking seems to be nervous himself. Someone with information about the camp could mean real trouble for the outlaws and Farouk, let alone insight about the people and their gear.
"They know you belong to me and should leave you be for the time being. There is no use in exchanging platitudes, or am I missing something?" @Enoch, Feel free to press on. :) I just wanted to bring in the trait.

Regarding Maximilian:
If Farouk notices Maximilian listening to his conversation with Mekertu he'll act in a similar fashion as before with Suen. "It seems like those that are kissed by a shayatin have a tendency to be especially nosey..." he sniffs "But join us and tell us what you think about the topic we shared in privacy." After Maximilian suggests to gather information about the city and the diamond by magical means Farouk gets quiet. Squatting in the sand with his empty cup next to him he says: "I have the utmost respect of you, your crafts and your talent-" he again picks up a fist full of sand and rubs his hands with it "but I lost family and friends to the city." he looks at Maximilian and points at the small sandhill his ritual created by his feet "You know why the sand protects me and my tribe from evil...? We burry our dead in it. With time their bodies become the sand... they BECOME the desert... and when we pick it up and coat our skin with it the spirits of our ancestors are with us and protect us on the other side."
probably bs but he is superstitious (trait) af
he smiles sadly but with certainty. "You see why there is no way I can welcome your offer? I won't let you raise my ancestors and deprive my people of their only protection... let alone be part of an agreement you strike with one of the Alshayatin." he then returns back to Mekertu.

Regarding Mekertu:
Farouk is interested in the ceremony Mekertu mentioned and he talks with the old man about their families, the things that get passed on by generations and the things that get lossed over the ages. "... she knew a dance and played on a little flute to control the spirits of the desert winds. I remember her dancing and playing in the very first sunlight every day... She was already an old woman when I was young and my father and siblings were still alive. We called her Timsah. But even she died in the aftermath of the drought..." I imagine the two men sitting by the fire until late that night.
During this conversation Farouk tries to gather as much information about the city from Mekertu as possible. The use of City of Telkomel-wise in this case doesn't feel right to me...

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by Enoch »

Suen forces a friendly grin on his face. "Mekertu, eh? I'm Suen-Magir. You're the leader of this...group, I take it? Why don't you tell me a bit about yourselves, as it seems we'll be companions for at least a little bit. We should get to know each other."

Persuasion: [1d6]=4[1d6]=1[1d6]=4
2 successes.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Eric.D
Scout
Scout

#36 Post by Eric.D »

VVhite-Crow wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:14 am "You see why there is no way I can welcome your offer? I won't let you raise my ancestors and deprive my people of their only protection... let alone be part of an agreement you strike with one of the Alshayatin." he then returns back to Mekertu.
Mekertu smiles, leering at Maximillian. "There are plenty of demons in the desert, sadiq. He can summon an Old Mother, she will teach him many things he wants to know, if he survives. If the muraji* can speak to them, and they are not hated by the gods, then why not him?"

*a local term for outlanders, people who dwell in the deepest desert
During this conversation Farouk tries to gather as much information about the city from Mekertu as possible. The use of City of Telkomel-wise in this case doesn't feel right to me...
Farouk will need to be convinced to give you more. He is suspicious of the outsiders, and worried that you might stir up trouble. I think we are in Duel of Wits territory here.
Suen:
Enoch wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:41 pm Suen forces a friendly grin on his face. "Mekertu, eh? I'm Suen-Magir. You're the leader of this...group, I take it? Why don't you tell me a bit about yourselves, as it seems we'll be companions for at least a little bit. We should get to know each other."

Persuasion: [1d6]=4[1d6]=1[1d6]=4
2 successes.
Persuasion is a very specific skill in Burning Wheel, one that you can employ to convince someone to help you out by convincing them it actually benefits them. Luke clarified in the Discord:
Persuasion is the most misunderstood social skill. Folks often interpret it as a form of casual, malicious, low effort manipulation. The skill description indicates its true nature: It is an exchange of agreements that are in the best interest of both parties. "It's raining, can you go out and get some eggs? I'll make breakfast when you get back." NOT "It's raining, go get eggs. Please."
Given this limited definition, I don't think Persuasion applies here unless you can add on some way that you think it will benefit him. I will also say that I don't think Mekertu is opposed to simply speaking to you.

VVhite-Crow
Strider
Strider

#37 Post by VVhite-Crow »

Farouk will need to be convinced to give you more. He is suspicious of the outsiders, and worried that you might stir up trouble. I think we are in Duel of Wits territory here.
Ouh! Juicy!!!
Farouks case is: We need all the help we can get to find the diamond and get out of the city alive. Mekertu is the person with the most knowledge about Telkomel. He should join our expedition.
Aim high I guess. :P What's Mekertus case and how do we proceed with the DoW?

hidetzugu
Strider
Strider

#38 Post by hidetzugu »

At Urkazzar and Herzebuh:
Eric.D wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:08 pm
hidetzugu wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:32 pm

[5d6s4]=4
"It's a joke!" A flash of understanding comes over him, "Because you are little, and so you called me little."
The revelation seems an honest one. Another man next to him calls, "Ignore Herzebuh, he's a good man, but if you listen to him speaking you'll end up wanting to kill him."
"Yes," says Herzebuh, rocking his head, "I am Herzebuh. They brought me here because I killed my cousin. They were supposed to kill me, but they didn't."
The other man moves over, "And I have never told that to anybody who is not from our group, Herzebuh. Silence yourself, for the gods will drive me to walk mad in the sands if you keep talking."
He turns towards Lilly and Finnithir, bowing graciously, "I am Urkazzar. I apologize that Herzebuh has offended. As I say, he is a good man, but the gods, they did not bless him with words."
Herzebuh grasps Urkazzar's arm, whispering urgently, "I did not say anything that was not true. The priests tell that people who are not like others are signs of the father's sins."
Urkazzar turns toward him, gently, "Not now, Herzebuh. This is not the right time."
"Oh," says Herzebuh. He stops moving and his eyes look off distantly, as though thinking of something difficult.
"I will care for the camels—"turning to Lilly"—I like camels." His face is lit with a smile as he trudges off, never apologizing, seemingly still unaware of his offense.
Urkazzar breaths a sigh as he does. "I apologize again. He is a good man, I promise. Perhaps I can apologize by helping you make camp?"
Lilly shares a look with Finnithir, turns towards the Urkazzar and says "It is not for us to judge family disputes... as he have issues with our own clans. But as we don't judge you, traveller Herzebuh, we'd prefer if you don't judge us or our union."
I'll leave it to you, Eric, to decide if the interaction ends here (we can retcon the order of the dialogue if needed)
At Maximilian and Farouk:
"Would your ancestors prefer you you risk your own life needlessly Farouk? Let Maximilian ask for any help he can enlist. I for one would prefer for the first spirit I witness to be friendly to us, rather than something like the howling demon we heard on the way in. Go for it Maximilian! Is there anything we can do to help?"

OOC: Farouk and Lilly kind of have conflicting beliefs about this... I guess it is up to Maximilian how convincible he is one way or another.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Marullus »

Eric.D wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:28 pm It is a dark night, with a waning crescent moon. As the night falls, the sound of jackals picks up... and occasionally something else. Like a whisper on the wind.

"You know I cannot pass through your circle," her voice, soft, soporific, accented in a strange, mellifluous way, carries a hint of reproach and amusement. Her shape, dim and distant, a memory from childhood, is slight and shifts strangely, smoke in a breeze, but as beautiful as you remember. Ku-Aya, of the Black Citadel, once a slave just like you. "You have traveled far. What is this place?"
I am leaving this pretty open-ended, as I want you to nail down the details of this relationship, and then we can continue. ;)
Nutesh blushes faintly, casting his eyes down. He moves to the edge of his drawing and sits cross-legged, extending his hand outwards, palm up, letting Ku-Aya's emphera brush against his skin. A practiced gesture of a thousand nights, all the intimacy available to those in different worlds.

"We walked on from the cottage," he begins, "Up the river to the headwaters, to the gates of Telkomel. With dawn we will venture in, seeking the red diamond." He pauses, raising his eyes to meet hers - a ghost and a man sitting in discourse at the far edge of the camp's fire light. "The city has strange similarity in its form to the Black Citadel, my love. It is constructed of slabs of black stone, placed by magic or means beyond men, etched with sigils. I am drawn to it, yet concerned. Why is this place among the living like the citadel of the living which stands amidst the dead?" He pauses, contemplating. Eventually he adds, his voice poigniant, "Perhaps the power we need is here, the magic I can use to bring you to me. If it is so, I may not need to barter the stone to the wizard."

Belief: "The appearance of power is power itself" was the first lesson of Alagash. I will use the power of his name to secure what I need to go find the Red Diamond.
Nutesh will join the Duel of Wits with Farouk to convince Mekertu to come with or provide help. What do I need to do?
Overhearing Mekertu speaking of his five-year ritual within the city, Nutesh rises from his interlude at the edge of the camp and comes over to join Farouk.

"To end the ritual of your people may indeed be tragic," he says solemnly, his face still impassive. "But you need not be the end of it. I know much of rituals, and my life is spent in maintaining that which keeps such evil at bay. I have warded against great power; I have walked the Nether with my own feet yet stand before you. Come with us and show me, my power can ensure you need not fear the end of things."

VVhite-Crow
Strider
Strider

#40 Post by VVhite-Crow »

So do we play out the DoW in the forum? BoA Persuasion B4 + Base Will B4 [_4d6s4+4]=(4, 1, 5, 1)=2=2+4=6
I wouldn't make mind to do so. Here goes my first exchange:
Volley 1:
Obfuscate

Volley 2:
Rebuttal

Volley 3:
Point

Just to keep in mind: Blank Stare:
No matter the emotion, the character
never shows any sign of "getting it."
The little light bulb never seems to
come on. +1 Ob to all Persuasion and