Chapter 1: The Black City

Eric.D
Eric.D
Strider
Strider

Chapter 1: The Black City

#1 Post by Eric.D »

As the sun kisses the black spires of Telkomel each morn, it seems to say, ‘Enter, weary traveler, for within these ebon walls, laughter blooms like wildflowers, and strangers become kin.’ — Heruk, the Wandering Prince of Alem
The pass, known to the locals as the Sipe pass, from the name of the river that cuts through the mountains, is ablaze in saffron hue as the long rays of the dying sun fall upon it. Against this, the ruins of Telkomel rise from the sand, a black scab protruding from the stones of the cliffs. Though it is clear that the walls were once magnificently shaped by expert stonemasons, the walls have long crumbled, piles of dark stone pileup at their feet, and the towers have fallen in, leaving jagged spires stabbing against the sand-dimmed air.

An unseasonably cool breeze blows through the pass, past the walls, stirring up sand that bites at the face and coats the mouth with grit.

The local guide, Farouk, seems nervous and unsettled this close to the city, his eyes dart about, watching the shadows that flicker in the blowing dust. He has been this close before, but who would dare to go into this place? Even his camel, the powerful Bassam, shies uneasily.

As he begins to speak, perhaps to share some knowledge with the group at large, a strange howl reverberates through the pass, like the cry of a jackal. But then it continues, long, unlike a jackal's short cry, sorrowful, empty... human. Like the wail of a child whose mother is not returning.

It stops.

The air hums with silence, the wind has died, as though afraid of the cry.

There is no movement anywhere. No sign of animals, or children for that matter.
As I am dropping you off at the edge of the city, I will let you all decide if there is anything important you would like to do prior to entering. There is a visible gate in the center of the wall, entering will not be difficult.

VVhite-Crow
Strider
Strider

Re: Chapter 1: The Black City

#2 Post by VVhite-Crow »

Hastily scanning the jagged rock that frames the pass for any sign of danger, Farouk slowly kneels at Bassams side. Still having an eye on the surrounding area he grabs a hand full of the fine warm sand, that covers each and every horizontal surface. With a quick routine movement he washes his hands with the picked up dirt and pads Bassams flank, producing a small dusty cloud... a procedure the nomads of his tribe believe to ward of evil.
"The Alshayatin are awaiting us... I recommend hurry." He picks up Bassams reins and carefully directs the shying animal into a slow trot "Calm down sadiqi... I'm afraid that you have to get used to things like this. We are lucky when howls are the only thing haunting us, when we enter the black city." Failing to totally hide his unease he turns to his companions "The nights around the city are as cold as everywhere else in the desert but far darker. But we should be able to reach a camp of my... business partners before the last light is gone. We enter the city by dawn."
Arabic:
Shaytan = Demon
Sadiq = Freund

hidetzugu
Runner
Runner

#3 Post by hidetzugu »

"I'm sorry? did you not ear that? Is that normal here?"

Lilly adjusts her sword-belt, inadvertently making its tip draw an in the sand behind her.

"I don't like it, we are too exposed approaching from the middle of the valley. Frontal assaults are for well-equipped berserkers, not for ..." - She side-glances the other three. - "... people in their sleeping gown."

She points to the cliff side:
"We should come in against the cliff wall, make sure anyone watching doesn't have a clear silhouette to follow... And can you keep your beast quite? I swear children are less needy!"

hidetzugu
Runner
Runner

#4 Post by hidetzugu »

"But wait!" - She hops up to Suen. - "Can you, like, conjure a fog cloud over us as we travel? Or... Or maybe a diffraction aura that bends the gazes of others around us? Is that the plan?"

VVhite-Crow
Strider
Strider

#5 Post by VVhite-Crow »

"Trust me qizm, my ears are fine. At least as good as your eyes it seems. As you have noticed we're not equipped to fight this... well" he gestures in a wide arc, his heavy robes flowing sluggishly "... whatever caused this noise. So I say, we move before it gets to us." and after a short pause "And I don't dare to say if there is anything "normal" left in Telkomel..."
Arabic:
qizm = dwarf :P
I'll probably won't use a lot more arabic words but I like the idea of an accent

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Enoch »

Suen speaks hesitantly, almost stuttering, as he glances back at his sister. "I...I don't know how to make illusions. I could try, but...it's dangerous. I could maybe ask the demons of this place to tell me the history of the city? Perhaps that would tell us what trials await us?" He casts his luminous eyes down onto the sand.
Personally I like the Arabic sprinkled throughout. Adds flavor!
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

A raucous quarking wafts down from the sky high above. Nutesh's eyes roll forward to appear normal once more as his sight returns to his body. "Safety with your business partners seems wise..."
I love the Arabic for flavor!

Looking through Carrock is a B3 Observation; I'll Help with my Cemetary-wise as he scopes the city outskirts (with a particular eye for the dead being buried or unburied...)
Carrock [1d6]=6[1d6]=5[1d6]=3[1d6]=1
With Grey-shade, that's three successes.

VVhite-Crow
Strider
Strider

#8 Post by VVhite-Crow »

I would like to circle the outlaw camp into existence. Still outside the city walls and a bit off the pass we are on currently. Maybe a group of max. 10 people that are rejected from or forced out of civilization and with whom Farouk traded before (they trade tools, medicine and stuff the outlaws can't produce/ acquire from society themselves for coin and relics scavenged from the outskirts). Farouk knows the leader by the name Nofret "the broken Sickle".
linked test:
BL Orienteering (+Advantage 1D since I know the way and help from Nutesh) -> Circles B2+ Affiliation 1D+ Reputation 1D

hidetzugu
Runner
Runner

#9 Post by hidetzugu »

Enoch wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:57 pm Suen speaks hesitantly, almost stuttering, as he glances back at his sister. "I...I don't know how to make illusions. I could try, but...it's dangerous. I could maybe ask the demons of this place to tell me the history of the city? Perhaps that would tell us what trials await us?" He casts his luminous eyes down onto the sand.
Personally I like the Arabic sprinkled throughout. Adds flavor!
"speak to the demons of this place huh? don't suppose you can also ask them to let us be?"

Eric.D
Strider
Strider

#10 Post by Eric.D »

Enoch wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:57 pm Suen speaks hesitantly, almost stuttering, as he glances back at his sister. "I...I don't know how to make illusions. I could try, but...it's dangerous. I could maybe ask the demons of this place to tell me the history of the city? Perhaps that would tell us what trials await us?" He casts his luminous eyes down onto the sand.
Sabit looks up as the raven flies overhead, "I think our friend whose feathers smoke has probably learned enough for now. Save your strength for when it is needed, little brother. What word, Nutesh?"
Marullus wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:27 am Looking through Carrock is a B3 Observation; I'll Help with my Cemetary-wise as he scopes the city outskirts (with a particular eye for the dead being buried or unburied...)
Carrock [1d6]=6[1d6]=5[1d6]=3[1d6]=1
With Grey-shade, that's three successes. [/ooc]
Telkomel is a ruin rather than a cemetery, and it feels important to apply Wises narrowly, so I will veto the Help. Even so, that's 3 successes against an open-ended obstacle.

The city is vast, far vaster than you can tell from where you stand; what you can see, which is already impressive, appears to be only the gate of the city. Behind the gate there is a crack in the cliffside that opens into a valley surrounded by cliffs, this is where the city proper is, and it fills the entirety of the valley.
Inside, you can see wide, empty thoroughfares and narrow alleys, filled with sand and devoid of either life or signs of the dead, and buildings made of the same ebon stone. Through Carrock's eyes, you can tell immediately that the stones are neither bricks nor small stones piled together, they are monolithic pieces of stone carved into shape and laid precisely next to and on top of one another to form buildings.

On the main thoroughfare into the city, near to the entrance, a half-collapsed arch, the only thing you see made of smaller blocks, each once perfectly shaped to form the arch, still stands over the street, imposing and regal, with symbols carved into the stone. The crown of the arch, now fallen to the ground, bears the figure of a man and a woman in royal regalia, the man holding a spear which points directly at what would once have been the highest point of the arch. A deep sense of unease creeps in as you look over the symbols and the carving.

Behind the arch is a dry pool, and in the pool a dry fountain, filled with sand from the long ages the pool has been dry.

The city radiates out from a central construction, several dozen meters tall, with stone after stone laid improbably on top of one other, hundreds of columns supporting each new layer, four stories tall, and capped with a gilded statue of mesmerizing beauty—a woman in strange dress, balancing on one foot, her arm outstretched, reaching off into the distance, standing on a sphere radiating beams of gold.
It is unlike anything you have ever seen in any city in the world, even pitted by sand, the skill of the maker is evident. Every shape is impossibly detailed and remarkably well preserved considering the age of this place, the yearning look she makes is still evident, and the flow of her robes would be utterly believable were it not frozen in gold.

Around this structure are several other impressive buildings, though not as tall, and none of them with anything nearly as impressive as the statue. Even so they are impressive, with ceilings over a dozen feet high, enormous pillars holding up prodigious stones to serve as the roof of each building, and the same uneasy symbols carved into them. The people of this place seem to have been obsessed with grandeur.

Along the far side of the valley, too distant for even Carrock to make out in great detail, there are hundreds, thousands of open cave mouths, most of them natural stone, and a very few bordered with the black stone of the city. Being out of the wind and elements, you can see that an even smaller handful of them still have remnants of wooden doors that once closed over the entrance. All around these caves grow small, stunted bushes, flowering with tiny white buds.

Studying the landscape, Carrock initially sees no sign of anything moving except for other birds and a few small lizards sunning themselves in the dying light. There appears to be no sign of mass graves, skeletons, or anything that would indicate this place had died suddenly.

As he is about to turn back, Carrock notices movement in one of the caves, something unfamiliar, skulking, as black as the stone in the city, twisting slowly over itself into the cave, where the shadows hide it.
VVhite-Crow wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:52 am I would like to circle the outlaw camp into existence.
As an affiliation, you do not need to circle them into existence, you can simply visit them.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

OOC Clarification:
Want to make sure I am visualizing well before Nutesh describes IC to the others.
The city radiates out from a central construction, several dozen meters tall, with stone after stone laid improbably on top of one other, hundreds of columns supporting each new layer, four stories tall, and capped with a gilded statue
This is the center of the entire improbably large city (in which case we are estimating total size based on identifying the center)?
Is this "construction" a building, or are the "improbably stacked stones" more of a dais or ziggurat?
With columns supporting, is it open within? Like a four-floor Parthenon?

The crown of the arch, now fallen to the ground, bears the figure of a man and a woman
Pointing to the highest point of the arch.
So the arch collapsed, and these statues now lie on the ground?
They point from where they fell to where the arch used to be, or they point down from where they were to the highest point, which was below them?

This arch and pool are located nearer the gate we are at, on the way to the city center?

The arch was across the main boulevard, or marked a side courtyard with the pool and fountain?

Eric.D
Strider
Strider

#12 Post by Eric.D »

OOC Clarification:
Marullus wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:32 pm OOC Clarification:
Want to make sure I am visualizing well before Nutesh describes IC to the others.
The city radiates out from a central construction, several dozen meters tall, with stone after stone laid improbably on top of one other, hundreds of columns supporting each new layer, four stories tall, and capped with a gilded statue
This is the center of the entire improbably large city (in which case we are estimating total size based on identifying the center)?
Is this "construction" a building, or are the "improbably stacked stones" more of a dais or ziggurat?
With columns supporting, is it open within? Like a four-floor Parthenon?
This is at the center of the city, yes. It is not the exact center geometrically (as the valley is a natural shape), but it is close enough I doubt a human observer would notice any difference with taking some very precise measurements.

The construction is a building. The building is improbable in that it would take an inconceivable amount of manpower to create it.

Let me be less flowery:

The building rises straight, there is no slope as the floors progress, until the fourth level, which covers roughly half the area of the floors below. (To make sure I am being clear, the floorspace of the fourth level is as large as the third, but it has a much smaller covered area, which seems to have been built largely to support the statue)

On each level, the structure has an exterior of several columns. On the first three levels there are some interior walls, so it is not completely open. These interior walls seem to help support the floor above, along with the multitudinous columns.

On the fourth floor, it is almost entirely open, half of this level has no ceiling or columns, and where there are you can see through them to the other side. There are several dozen columns on this floor, supporting a sort of dais on which the aforementioned statue is placed. There is no stairway up to the statue.

Think more ancient Egyptian temple than Parthenon.
The crown of the arch, now fallen to the ground, bears the figure of a man and a woman
Pointing to the highest point of the arch.
So the arch collapsed, and these statues now lie on the ground?
They point from where they fell to where the arch used to be, or they point down from where they were to the highest point, which was below them?
The crown is the keystone of an arch, this keystone has fallen, but the carving on it is visible. The spear points to the center of the keystone, which would once have been the highest point of the arch.
This arch and pool are located nearer the gate we are at, on the way to the city center?

The arch was across the main boulevard, or marked a side courtyard with the pool and fountain?
This arch and fountain are located on the main thoroughfare from the gate, closer to you. It is one of the most easily visible landmarks as you enter.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Marullus »

Nutesh nods solemnly to Sabit as she speaks to him. As he begins to talk a raven flutters down, alighting on his outstretched arm while it's feathers smoke mysteriously.
Carrock the Raven - small.png
Carrock the Raven - small.png (120.23 KiB) Viewed 201 times
"This gate leads through that cleft and into the valley and city," he says, gesturing with a finger. "There's no sign of mass death within, as I would expect. The city fills the whole of the mountain vale, those sheer cliffs surround it. The first threat lives in the cliffs, not the city.
Thousands of caves pock the cliff faces - some modified with stonework, some even have doors. I saw skulking shadows there... but so far, only there.
Perhaps they come down in the night, perhaps they will come down if we alert them to our presence."

"The city itself is made of huge slabs of solid ebon stone, placed either by powerful magic or by capabilities beyond those of men. They are similar to those of the black citadel of the Nether, and perhaps for similar reason... I could see that symbol-work was carved upon them in many places. In Nether, such circination is required to maintain separation of the living fortress from the realm of the dead. I am curious to see this closer, here, as it will be crucial to our exploring. We must have better understanding of what the wards on these buildings keep out... or summon. They are potent enough that I can feel the unease of their magic even from the sky - we must see them closer."

"There's a good place to begin, on the boulevard within this gate. There is an arch of more unique construction - one of the few things I saw fashioned of small stones rather than carved whole. It has collapsed, so perhaps the circles engraved upon it are broken and more easily studied without harm. It was the entrance to a pool and a fountain, now dried, which may tell us more of these people as well."

"I am sure there are many wonders in the city, but the most wonderous is obvious - they built it around a central structure, built four stories with columns and excessive grandeur. The top level of the structure elevates a golden statue of singular magnificence. If we're to find something as important as the red diamond, I'm sure our path will lead there."

He then expounds further, relaying detail to answer any questions.
(Sharing IC what's described above fully.)

He turns in the direction of the encamped merchants, confirming Farouk's path.
"I very much want to reach safe camp and enter with daylight... I need time to draw circles of protection for us tonight."

Eric.D
Strider
Strider

#14 Post by Eric.D »

"Protection," says Sabit in a quiet voice, "Seems like a good idea."

Her gaze moves to Lilly. "We all heard that sound."
The camp is roughly two hours away, as nobody wishes to camp too close to the walls of Telkomel. It is now afternoon, but it is summer and you have five or six hours before sunset, so your group can make it before nightfall fairly easily if you decide to go that way today.

The consequences of failure this close to a haunted place are interesting, so I think an Orienteering test is called for if this is the choice. It would be Ob 1 for Farouk, as I am pretty sure he's the only one familiar with this land, Ob 3 for anybody unfamiliar. Failure means that you get lost on your way and encounter something else.

VVhite-Crow
Strider
Strider

#15 Post by VVhite-Crow »

Farouk nods "Have you seen the camp of my friends, Nutesh? If they are still around it should be by a side arm of the Ripe to the left of us." he points in the direction.

VVhite-Crow
Strider
Strider

#16 Post by VVhite-Crow »

Eric.D wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:54 am It is now afternoon, but it is summer and you have five or six hours before sunset,
I thought there where mere minutes left... Your first post described the city "as the long rays of the dying sun fall upon". :P

Eric.D
Strider
Strider

#17 Post by Eric.D »

VVhite-Crow wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:34 am
Eric.D wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:54 am It is now afternoon, but it is summer and you have five or six hours before sunset,
I thought there where mere minutes left... Your first post described the city "as the long rays of the dying sun fall upon". :P
The sun is dying. But since it's summer its death is going to be long and slow. :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Nutesh nods solemnly in confirmation to Farouk. The raven quorks loudly and takes off into the reddening sky as they begin to move.

Eric.D
Strider
Strider

#19 Post by Eric.D »

The sun dips as your small crowd leaves the area, lengthening shadows stretch out behind. The wind whistles softly over stone, dry and hot; distantly you can hear the hum of singing dunes. As you approach the pass proper, a bit down the mountains from the gates of Telkomel, the air becomes faintly humid from the Sipe River, a deep, wide river that cuts through the stones. It is just below its highest point now, the stones above it watermarked from the annual rise and fall of the river as it makes its way down to the distant Adzu Basin, the cradle of civilization and power in this region.

The encampment is above the pass, on a ridge well hidden from view below. A group of nine people, all human men, is gathered around a low, smokeless fire, along with five camels resting at the back of the camp. It is a bare encampment. There are enough tents for the men present, and a few amphora and jars nearby of supplies. The men are a sunburned dark color, obvious even from a great distance, the color of men who are rarely out of the sun and have been weathered in the face of the elements, with deep wrinkles, long beards and threadbare clothing. However, they armed, each of them. Several have spears laying next to them, which they grab hold of as soon your group comes into sight, and the rest are armed with khopesh or bows. They gather into a knot, spears in the front, swords behind, and bowmen behind them, waiting for your arrival.

As you continue to move, one of the men, tall, lean and lithe, breaks away from the group and moves forward, a hand holding his khopesh tightly and the other shielding his eyes as he peers. A smile cracks his face, and moving his hand from his eyes to cup his mouth, he shouts over, "Farouk! Is that you? Who are all these people you are bringing? We cannot feed them, unless you have finally decided it is time to put poor half-crippled Bassam down."

VVhite-Crow
Strider
Strider

#20 Post by VVhite-Crow »

Farouk removes the fabric that masked his face and grimaces as he approaches the man. "You know damn well that it's bad luck to eat the meat of a camel that carried you." his fingers running through the wooly mane on Bassams neck. "And Bassam is as strong as ever." Shaking the man's hand his face brightens. "But It's good to see you again, Akhom. On our way here, down in the valley, we heard the Alshayatin howling as I have never heard them before. I was afraid they had enough of your doings here... But by the looks of it you are healthy and welcoming as ever." Farouk glances at the still drawn weapons of the other men. "We won't bother you for long. We just hoped to stay the night in the camp and leave by dawn." Looking at the small group of cult members. "These have to get by by themselves so don't worry about your rations. But I wouldn't mind a meal and some tea for me and my friends. Our characters, Sabit and Finnithir I can offer a good new rake for your fields and some other fine tools in exchange."
Later that evening when the group has settled, I want to speak to a outlaw that dared to venture further into the city and ask him about his knowledge about the red diamond. Aside from that I would like to trade the goods I brought for rations and (if available) interesting trinkets from the city.

Return to “A Small Time Job (Burning Wheel Gold Revised)”