Acadie

Hvalreki
subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Acadie

#21 Post by subaltari »

On the way out of the Port Administrator's office, Gabe favours Ty with a (Vilani-style) fist bump. "Good job, mang."

Thumper wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:24 am"It would amount to 4,214 and some change apiece... We should have enough on the various cards without completely tapping us out."
Completely oblivious to the idea that this could be an expense H&C doesn't cover, Gabe hands his per-diem card over to Ty without further discussion. His card can be distinguished from the others by having a large chevron drawn on the back in black marker.

Walking aboard Perfect Stranger and looking through the first few compartments, the ex-marine comments: "Know what dey say about crime scenes? Mebbe touch as little as possible fo' now, could be some clues..." Gabe then searches for the Ship's Locker, opens it and surveys its contents visually.

Hvalreki wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:12 am
  • Auxiliary Power Plant - (that's unusual by itself and not standard for this class of ship)
Not standard as in, there are two separate Power Plants?

EDIT: Cross-posted with you brother Thumper; I think both posts can stand as is.

However, I just realized CT doesn't have a "forensics" skill. Nor is there any prior profession (not even in Mercenaries or CotI) that would imply police or detective skills more than any other. I guess finding clues of this sort would come down to our PCs' Intelligence ratings and player declarations as to what we're looking for.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by Eris »

Jako says, "I'm going to do two things right off.

First, check out the cargo hold to see if there is any cargo in there and to see if there is an air/raft aboard. Cargo we might be able to sell to raise some funds. An air/raft or other transportation is going to be important for us to get around.

The second thing is to hit the Computer Room and look at what 'tapes' we have. I'm no expert, but I can read what is on the cartridges and even load and run quick diagnostics to make sure what it says we have is what we actually have."

"Reconvene to see where we are in an hour?" Jako asks, "Where? In the Commons?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Hvalreki »

After an hour or so poking through the ship the crew assembles in the common area near the bridge for some coffee and to cover some of their findings.

The ship’s electronics are mostly intact and security seems to be in place – it does not appear that anyone has penetrated the electronic security on her critical systems, however and more seriously, some control systems simply do not work.

Inspection reveals that control pathways have been interrupted at various points. ‘Interrupted’ means either physical severing" of control pathways and/or removal of key components.

Perfect Stranger has been deliberately disabled.

She's also not the standard type R that show on her schematics.

Perfect Stranger’s modifications are mostly in the cargo area, reducing capacity by 188 tons but altering her capabilities enormously.

THE FUEL/CARGO CONTAINERS
Most of the ship’s cargo space is divided into four identical fuel/cargo containers, each capable of holding 40 tons of liquid hydrogen fuel.

Rather than using collapsible fuel bladders or demountable tanks, Perfect Stranger has been refitted to switch between fuel or cargo in a few hours. This requires little more than flushing out the tanks to ensure no liquid hydrogen remains, then loading them up with cargo as needed.

The other advantage to using containers of this type is that personnel access is retained. The modules include accessways, hatches and heavy-duty partitions that make them a part of the ship rather than a component to be added or removed.

These fuel/cargo containers are useful when shipping bulk liquids but used primarily to extend the ship’s range or endurance. The fore cargo doors still function and can be used to vent fuel in an emergency.

Each container provides sufficient fuel for one jump-1. The ship cannot jump any further than this but, with all containers full, in addition to her internal tankage, she can cross a 5-parsec gap – albeit painfully slowly.

When not transiting between mains or distant stars, the modules can be used to carry cargo.

Access to the cargo area is no longer possible by way of the aft doors, though a small personnel hatch has been added. This is not immediately apparent from the exterior, as the appearance of the original aft cargo doors has been carefully retained.

The lower deck – which is two stories high – has been converted mainly to carry fuel but some additional systems have been added.

THE SYSTEMS ROOM
The systems room contains a small auxiliary powerplant, a TL12 unit massing three tons. With her main and auxiliary units in use, Perfect Stranger has sufficient to run all her systems, including the jump drive, with plenty of spare capacity for emergencies.

There are also two control stations for dual pop-up triple turrets mounted on retrofitted hardpoints, concealed by the fake aft cargo door, which can be rapidly deployed for a surprise volley.

Perfect Stranger has some teeth it seems.

The arc of fire of these hidden turrets is limited by their position but in a stern chase they may be sufficient to deter pursuit.

Each pop-up turret houses three beam lasers, while two dual turrets each housing two more beam lasers are mounted openly towards the prow of the ship.

The systems room also contains a large hardened data bank and an intelligence work area consisting of two computer workstations, an advanced interactive holographic display, and holders for the inevitable cups of coffee and snacks.

There is a small refreshment dispenser and quite a good coffee maker in this area, likely for the long watches

The systems room consumes 20 tons. 12 tons of this is the human-crewed area, with the other 8 tons allocated to power plant fuel; sufficient to run the auxiliary powerplant for two years and provide 26 weeks of endurance if both power plants run to capacity.

This is far more than is ever likely to be needed but ships intended for deep-space transits must be prepared for eventualities and have a wide margin of safety.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by Hvalreki »

Eris wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:04 pm Jako says, "I'm going to do two things right off.

First, check out the cargo hold to see if there is any cargo in there and to see if there is an air/raft aboard. Cargo we might be able to sell to raise some funds. An air/raft or other transportation is going to be important for us to get around.

The second thing is to hit the Computer Room and look at what 'tapes' we have. I'm no expert, but I can read what is on the cartridges and even load and run quick diagnostics to make sure what it says we have is what we actually have."

"Reconvene to see where we are in an hour?" Jako asks, "Where? In the Commons?"
The ships cargo bay is empty and no sign of any ships vehicles other than the missing and destroyed Launch.

Searching carefully in the Systems Room, Jako quickly determines the "physical" data cores the Imperium sent them to recover, have been removed and taken.

Interfacing with the Holo Display he finds he navigational systems are still in place and contain a very mundane set of logs detailing an exploratory trade mission around the Islands subsectors.

From the records he can tell the flight logs have been accessed, their top level of encryption easily broken, and someone has taken a download.

However, as Jako has the proper access codes provided by the mission handlers, he is able to see a couple of hidden files that the hackers could not.

One of those is designated ‘Drop Point Hotel’. Following the navigational logs Drop Point Hotel turns out to be close to or at the starport on Herzenslust.

It's clear from the entry that a backup download of the ship's data cores and intelligence logs were dropped there.

Drop Point Hotel

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#25 Post by Thumper »

Gabe favours Ty with a (Vilani-style) fist bump. "Good job, mang."
Thanks, man. I was worried. That could’ve backfired.

————
Ty:
So, no sign of the original crew. The data cores are gone and some top-level files compromised. Whoever broke in performed a little sabotage….why? Why keep the ship grounded? They got what they wanted. Maybe they want more?

Can we tell when the onboard files were copied? I can crosscheck that against the impound date. That could give some indication if the local authorities are involved.

What’s “dropped” at Hertzenslust?

We’re just supposed to be repo men. We need to keep that charade up. I think I need to go make a stink about the damage to the Starport czarina. Whoever is involved in the intrigue will see through the charade. Whoever is not would think it odd if we did not raise hell over a break in.

I found evidence of sabatoge in the flight attitude control system. Several parts have been damaged, destroyed, cut and missing. If the parts are available, the repairs don’t look too extensive. The electronics bays ops test and look ok. I checked out the electronics to the life support failures, power plants and engines what did he find? I didn’t have time to check them out mechanically. Did anybody get to that?

If we can get a list of all the parts requiring removal and replacement (R2). I’ll see if they are available here or need to be ordered from Amondiage.

And body find anything else of interest?

***Edited***
Last edited by Thumper on Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Eris »

Thumper wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:33 am
Gabe favours Ty with a (Vilani-style) fist bump. "Good job, mang."
Thanks, man. I was worried. That could’ve backfired.

————
Ty:
So, no sign of the original crew. The data cores are gone and some top-level files compromised. Whoever broke in performed a little sabotage….why? Why keep the ship grounded? They got what they wanted. Maybe they want more?

Can we tell when the files were copied? I can crosscheck that against the impound date. That could give some indication if the local authorities are involved.

What’s “dropped” at Hertenlust?

"I can tell you that!" says Jako with a grin, "They stored a backup download of the ship's data cores and intelligence logs there. This info was on a hidden file that our access codes let me get into. They called it ‘Drop Point Hotel’. From the navigational logs their Drop Point Hotel turns out to be close to...if not right at the starport on Herzenslust."

"If we can't find the missing data logs here, we can get the backups there. If we can get there!" Jako says, "Can we get this ship flying?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#27 Post by subaltari »

Gabe is rather impressed by THE SYSTEMS ROOM. "Izzit jes' me... or is this not yer typical setup on a civ trader? Looks more like a small CIC to me. Lieutenant Commander Orlov, what do you make of it, sir?"

Letting 'the old guys' puzzle out the digital trail of the perpetrators, Gabe turns to his other item of interest:
subaltari wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:26 pmGabe then searches for the Ship's Locker, opens it and surveys its contents visually.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by AleBelly »

Sorry was out most of last two weeks on vacation.

Piotr is disappointed but not at all surprised that the data cores are missing.

"Are any of you good with surveillance? Are there cameras on board that could have recorded when the data cores were stolen?" He will look himself but is looking from help with those better with electronics than he is.

Once done he will head back over to the woman managing the starport to ask if she has a log of visitors to the ship to see if they were stolen while docked (if that makes sense).

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Spearmint »

Aziz 'Easy' Schmidt

You know that updates contain a whole lot of information, so taking it all in and looking at what can or needs be done first.

Is Becky with us?

My own thoughts are that we are in possession of the ship and data cores aside, need to get it back to flight worthiness. Which, testing the engineering, mechanics, Jump drives, navigational and flight control; just the actual physical aspects will take time. (Like a few days worth of tinkering and elbow grease).

So consider Schmidt might concentrate on 'mechanics' and the Engineering room chiefly and with various aspects of dereliction, abandonment and vandalism about, list priority repairs and go through a typical inspection protocol.

Colonel Aziz 'Easy' Schmidt: Mechanics [2d6+3]=10+3=13

Not sure what I could cover in a typical 'skill check' period, but certainly a few hours doing initial inspections.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by Thumper »

Ty Electronics repairs
Electronics: [2d6+2]=6+2=8

Flight/attitude controls:
Mechanic: [2d6+1]=8+1=9

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by Hvalreki »

subaltari wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:02 pm Gabe is rather impressed by THE SYSTEMS ROOM. "Izzit jes' me... or is this not yer typical setup on a civ trader? Looks more like a small CIC to me. Lieutenant Commander Orlov, what do you make of it, sir?"

Letting 'the old guys' puzzle out the digital trail of the perpetrators, Gabe turns to his other item of interest:
subaltari wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:26 pmGabe then searches for the Ship's Locker, opens it and surveys its contents visually.
The ships locker (located in the Office closest to the main airlock contains:
8 TL 12 Hostile Environment Vacc Suits, presumably one for each crew member and a spare.
8 Filter/Respirator masks
8 Hostile Environment Suits
8 Sets Cold Weather Clothing

Mounted in a locked racks are the following weapons:
4 shotguns w sling (sling holds 10 single cartridges)
4 rifles with slings, web web equipment holds magazine pouch w 4 x 20 round magazines
8 auto pistols w belt or shoulder holster, web equipment holds magazine pouch w 3 x 15 round magazines
8 cutlasses with belt scabbards

Under the weapons are new unopened boxes of ammunition
200 shotgun shells 100 shot, 100 slug in boxes of 25 each
1000 rounds rifle ammo, 2 cans each containing 5 x 100 round bandoliers (10x speed strip loaders per bandolier)
1000 rounds auto pistol ammo, 10 boxes of 100 rounds per box

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by Hvalreki »

AleBelly wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:32 pm Sorry was out most of last two weeks on vacation.

Piotr is disappointed but not at all surprised that the data cores are missing.

"Are any of you good with surveillance? Are there cameras on board that could have recorded when the data cores were stolen?" He will look himself but is looking from help with those better with electronics than he is.

Once done he will head back over to the woman managing the starport to ask if she has a log of visitors to the ship to see if they were stolen while docked (if that makes sense).
There is some camera equipment onboard (only public and maintenance spaces) but unfortunately the feed saves to the systems room "missing" data cores.

Piotor recalls Ty's conversation with the Port Authority
Who had been on the ship since it was “abandoned”? Police investigators, engineers/technicians, etc. He’ll want the visitor logs. Maintenance or inspection reports.
Local security forces boarded not long after the ship's launch left on an unscheduled flight. The main lock was open and has since been secured with a port lock until the hold is released. No one else has been aboard since.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#33 Post by Hvalreki »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:50 am Aziz 'Easy' Schmidt

You know that updates contain a whole lot of information, so taking it all in and looking at what can or needs be done first.

Is Becky with us?

My own thoughts are that we are in possession of the ship and data cores aside, need to get it back to flight worthiness. Which, testing the engineering, mechanics, Jump drives, navigational and flight control; just the actual physical aspects will take time. (Like a few days worth of tinkering and elbow grease).

So consider Schmidt might concentrate on 'mechanics' and the Engineering room chiefly and with various aspects of dereliction, abandonment and vandalism about, list priority repairs and go through a typical inspection protocol.

Colonel Aziz 'Easy' Schmidt: Mechanics [2d6+3]=10+3=13

Not sure what I could cover in a typical 'skill check' period, but certainly a few hours doing initial inspections.
Becky is indeed still with the Group. As there are other Electricians around, Becky drafts Gabe's help and focuses their efforts on cleaning and sanitizing the galley, staterooms and public spaces (Steward background).

Easy changes into a work jumpsuit and begins the tedious job of tracing down and repairing the mechanical faults.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

Acadie Day 2

#34 Post by Hvalreki »

The Travellers spend the rest of the day assessing the systems they can repair and come up with

Attitude Control Systems (Electronics) 5 man/days (must have Electronics 1 or better)
Landing Gear Hydraulics (Mechanical) 1 man/day (must have Mechanical 1 or better)
Life Support Atmosphere Scrubbers (Mechanical) 2 man days (must have Mechanical 1 or better

Unfortunately no one aboard has skills to properly diagnose or repair the damage in the Engineering section

Main Engines (Engineering)
Auxiliary Power Plant - (Engineering)

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by Thumper »

How much of the required repairs are needed because of sabotage?

Can Ty look at an online catalog to see how many of the needed parts are available on Acadie and determine any off-planet orders we need to make?

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#36 Post by Thumper »

Should parts availability permit…Looking at skillsets, propose:

Ty (Elec 2) Jacko and Becky (both Elec 1) take on Electronics repairs for 2 calendar days to repair

Easy (Mech 3) takes the lead on Life Support assisted by Gabe or Piotr (1 day)

Ted (Mech 1) take the lead on the Landing Gear hydraulics assisted by Gabe or Piotr (1 day)

Ty takes photos of any sabotage, collects the list of needed parts…broken down by what was vs what wasn’t sabotage. He calls for a shuttle van and walks back to the Administrator’s office.

is everybody ok if Ty goes back to the Adminstrator and inform her that either her security forces either committed acts of vandalism and sabotage on the ship, or her forces failed to secure and permitted the same. I’d like for Ty to negotiate for her to pro bono the Engineering repairs.

Admin [2d6+2]=6+2=8
Last edited by Thumper on Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by Eris »

Jacko is fine with Ty's suggestion and is ready to get to work on the Electronics repair...subject to parts becoming available. He'll look in ship stores, but suspects purchases are going to have to be made.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Spearmint »

Aziz 'Easy' Schmidt

thoughts
I am surprised that the Ship's Locker is still intact with all the Vacc-suits and weapons. My thoughts on that might be that the crew were taken captive? The Perfect Stranger hijacked? Someone mutinied? Two escaped in the launch but were shot and succumbed to wounds later.

The data cache accessed and downloaded. So whoever did that wanted the info more than the ship.

Actions
We need engage some Engineer experts. Cost & Availability? If Ty needs someone along just to add some extra diplomacy or a set of eyes to fact find, I will go with him.

Colonel Aziz 'Easy' Schmidt: tries some Diplomacy [2d6]=7

Colonel Aziz 'Easy' Schmidt: Intelligence to discern information (Int B, +2) [2d6+2]=7+2=9

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#39 Post by subaltari »

Spearmint wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:35 pmI am surprised that the Ship's Locker is still intact with all the Vacc-suits and weapons. My thoughts on that might be that the crew were taken captive?
Gabe duly reports on the pristine state of the Ship's Locker and agrees it's odd nothing was taken, including vacc suits. "No one was expectin funny business, unless they had dere own gear at hand."

Hvalreki wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:29 pmBecky is indeed still with the Group. As there are other Electricians around, Becky drafts Gabe's help and focuses their efforts on cleaning and sanitizing the galley, staterooms and public spaces (Steward background).
Lacking any of the more elevated shipboard training, Gabe already knew this would be his job. He gets to changing into his oldest clothes and rounding up all the cleaning gear, gloves, rubbish bags, etc. to be found on the ship. Bagging up all the moldy food, he speeds it on its entropic journey to join the soil of this beautiful, Agricultural planet.

After completing the housekeeping chores with Becky, Gabe becomes the 'third hand' holding torches and tools for Easy, Ty, or Jako on their more time consuming projects.
Attachments
know-your-role-jabroni.jpg
know-your-role-jabroni.jpg (15.76 KiB) Viewed 135 times

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

Acadie Day 2

#40 Post by Hvalreki »

Ted and Piotr don "working" jumpsuits and spend the morning on the messy and tedious job of tracking down the hydraulic fault in the landing gear. The good news once they get started is the repair seems fairly straightforward.

The lines have been cut at each strut and stains around the landing feet indicate where pools of hydraulic fluid laid until eventually evaporating in the warm Acadie sun. They will have to bleed the system, replace the cut lines and then replace the hydraulic fluids. All of which is easily obtainable from ships stores. (Repair complete by the afternoon).

Meanwhile Becky, Jacko, and Gabe get to started on the Attitude Control systems. Becky and Jacko doing the skilled work and Gabe acting as runner between the 2 and the ships electronics stores. Various control systems between the bridge, engineering and the flight control systems have been intentionally damaged. The repairs are straightforward but tracking all the faults down is going to be time consuming.

Return to “Repo Men (Classic Traveller)”