MILLION CREDIT COMM JOB

atpollard
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

Re: MILLION CREDIT COMM JOB

#141 Post by Hvalreki »

Thumper wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:41 am Mick
Herbie, you didn't chop a power cable did you? I think you might have known it if ya did.
"Gosh Mick, I sure don't think so!

There was this one time in Basic where I accidentally cut a power line digging a latrine. I was only in the hospital a week that time."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.1400 - Arctic Complex

#142 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.1400 - Arctic Complex

DJ, JIM & SOPHIE:
From the manuals and a quick scan of the Component racks, DJ quickly determined that the Third Floor was primarily dedicated to signal processing, the Second Floor was Data Storage and the First Floor was mechanical support equipment. So Jim and DJ packed up the manuals and relocated to [S5] as the only candidate. A bank of high density data storage units lined one wall with years of data to search through. A pair of linked cabinets on the other housed the Test Panels for the Data Storage and the Power Control for the Data Storage, respectively. A quick scan confirmed both were fully functional and monitoring the Data Storage which was also fully functional … just as the Master Control [T3] had reported.

The lone cabinet was the Master Control for the Data Storage. DJ went to work searching for his nebulous clues … backwards.

DJ located the record of his systems checks from the master Control.
DJ located the record of the original VET repair crew leaving Building 1.
DJ located the record of the original VET repair crew accessing the workshop and storage room.
DJ located the record of the original VET repair crew running diagnostics.
DJ located the moment that all systems went off line … 48 hours before the VET repair team arrived … However, the station was not broadcasting for 48 hours prior to that, so the Repair Team was already en-route to make a repair when the power system shut down.

DJ queried up the records for immediately before and after the initial failure and the immediately before and after the second failure to study them in detail.

MICK, JOE & HERBIE:
The snow drifts were piled just as high against Building 3 as they had been at Building 2. Fortunately, the entrance was located at the top of a tall stair, so the group just walked on top of the snow drift and started at the midpoint of the stair. The mechanical door resisted opening, but reluctantly yielded to brute force.

You stepped through the door into a small, but tall, building with a control panel and glass wall immediately in front of you and a miniature “starship power plant” beyond the glass doors. Everything was cold and dark. Looking around the Vestibule [F2], there was a wall-mounted control panel with racked equipment to the right, a control pedestal with a dark touch-screen in the center, and a locker to the left. The floor was raised and made of metal grates. The glass wall had two doors that opened automatically … except when there was no power (like now). Shining a light through the glass, you can see several more sets of wall-mounted controls around the Power Plant.

[ I have assumed that anyone in the group with a “spacer” background of any sort will recognize a Starship Fusion Power plant if they saw one.] Determining the condition of the PP requires “ENGINEER” skill (if anyone cares to attempt anything).

VAL:
Val announced over the COMM that the sun was setting. An hour or two of fading dusk and it would be full dark again. “Don’t let the bed bugs bite … I hear they are mean up here.”
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#143 Post by Thumper »

just a point of order…Mick has Grav-0 which I think we previously determined was an Engineering discipline…just a matter of scale. Does that give Eng- 0 to Mick when it comes to Grav systems/drives?

In this case, Mick obviously lets Joe have the lead.
Last edited by Thumper on Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#144 Post by Eris »

shaidar wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:41 pm DJ

Over comms: "Mr Frosty had a bunch of codes in that box he brought with him. Hopefully we'll find what we need in there."
"Roger that, DJ!" Joe says and looks over at Herbie, "You got a list of codes from that box you found, or did you leave them all with DJ?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#145 Post by Eris »

You stepped through the door into a small, but tall, building with a control panel and glass wall immediately in front of you and a miniature “starship power plant” beyond the glass doors. Everything was cold and dark. Looking around the Vestibule [F2], there was a wall-mounted control panel with racked equipment to the right, a control pedestal with a dark touch-screen in the center, and a locker to the left. The floor was raised and made of metal grates. The glass wall had two doors that opened automatically … except when there was no power (like now). Shining a light through the glass, you can see several more sets of wall-mounted controls around the Power Plant.

[ I have assumed that anyone in the group with a “spacer” background of any sort will recognize a Starship Fusion Power plant if they saw one.] Determining the condition of the PP requires “ENGINEER” skill (if anyone cares to attempt anything).
Joe has Engineering-0, so he recognizes and can start and operate Jump/Maneuver/Power, but repair might be beyond his skill level...we'll see.

Joe nods as soon as he sees the power plant, "Yep, I recognize that! It's smaller than aboard any ships I've been on, but there's no mistaking a Fusion Power Plant. Let's see now..."

Joe will identify the controls and begin to work his way through the routine that he is familiar with for the startup of a ship's power plant, "I'm going slow with this, because we don't know why this plant shut down."

"Some of these plants can self-restart, but some require a kickstarter from an auxiliary power source." Joe looks over the controls, "First order of business is to see if this one can self-restart or not, and where is the backup battery or aux generator to get this beast started if it needs one?"

Once, we can get power to the controls, maybe I'll be able to figure out what shut 'er down and see if I can get her up and running again. Maybe."
Joe is concentrating on the controls, but says to Mick, "Check that locker over there while I'm doing this, that might be access to the kickstarter if there is one."

OOC: This is totally IMTU, but IMTU a completely off fusion power plant requires a kickstart to get going. To deal with this, ships carry several very high power capacitors in cartridges about the size of a large thermos bottle. One is inserted into a 'igniter device' to give short-term power to the controls and to give the plant itself a jolt to get it started. Of course, IYTM mileage may vary. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#146 Post by Thumper »

but says to Mick, "Check that locker over there while I'm doing this, that might be access to the kickstarter if there is one."
Sure thing, Joe

Mick opens the locker.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.1410 - Arctic Complex

#147 Post by atpollard »

MICK, JOE & HERBIE:
OOC: This is totally IMTU, but IMTU a completely off fusion power plant requires a kickstart to get going. To deal with this, ships carry several very high power capacitors in cartridges about the size of a large thermos bottle. One is inserted into a 'igniter device' to give short-term power to the controls and to give the plant itself a jolt to get it started.
… That totally works as a concept for me! [consider it stolen.] :)

ENGINEERING roll = [10] … that will ‘get ‘er done.

Herbie provided the task light via his headlamp for Joe to locate and muscle the manual control to open the glass doors as Mick searched the locker full of manuals and spare parts (haphazardly tossed into bins on shelves) and located an Igniter Cylinder.

Joe inserted the Igniter into the slot on one of the control panels in [F3] and all of the panels in [F2] and [F3] came alive … a good sign. Joe initiated a startup systems check for the Building 3 Power Plant. Joe monitored the controls in [F3] as Mick monitored the main control in [F2] and Herbie scanned the side control in [F2] for any red lights or warning messages.

All systems seemed operational ... all that remained was to slowly POWER IT UP!

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#148 Post by atpollard »

DJ, JIM & SOPHIE:
COMM roll = [11]+2 … exceptional success

DJ studied the data and pieced together a chain of events. The trouble began with a critical system failure in the link between the Receiving Tower [T2] and the Receiving Equipment in Building 5. The automated system attempted to find a secondary or tertiary path to permit the station to continue to function, but the point of failure had no work-around. The system initiated a call for help to VET. Remote technicians also attempted various unsuccessful patches, and a repair team was dispatched to identify and replace the exact critical component.

Prior to the arrival of the repair team, the system recorded a power surge in Building 4 and an emergency shutdown in Building 3, followed by 12 hours of data from Building 2 and Building 5 before both systems stopped sending all data.

DJ concluded there were TWO issues. An initial technical COMM issue in Building 5 followed by a second catastrophic Power issue in Buildings 3 and 4.

Several days later, the VET Repair Crew arrived and identified the initial part that needed replacing in Building 5 and there were multiple sign-outs from Building 1, but no log identifying the problem with the power system or reporting any repairs completed or running any post-repair diagnostics.

There was one entry and exit, 20 minutes apart … 10 minutes of which was the airlock cycle … just before the story broke in the news. Presumably the “rescue team” searching the building.

Mick’s entry and DJ’s diagnostics are the first entry after the rescue team left the building.

Armed with a PART NUMBER and a computer terminal, DJ determined that the critical part should be located in Storage Room [S7] of Building 1. Using the stolen codes, DJ opened the door and began searching the shelves and cabinets … discovering a hole where the part should be inside a durable case. Maybe the VET team made it as far as Building 5?

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 2156.11.7.1410 - Arctic Complex

#149 Post by Eris »

atpollard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:08 pm 2156.11.7.1410 - Arctic Complex

MICK, JOE & HERBIE:
OOC: This is totally IMTU, but IMTU a completely off fusion power plant requires a kickstart to get going. To deal with this, ships carry several very high power capacitors in cartridges about the size of a large thermos bottle. One is inserted into a 'igniter device' to give short-term power to the controls and to give the plant itself a jolt to get it started.
… That totally works as a concept for me! [consider it stolen.] :)

ENGINEERING roll = [10] … that will ‘get ‘er done.
Herbie provided the task light via his headlamp for Joe to locate and muscle the manual control to open the glass doors as Mick searched the locker full of manuals and spare parts (haphazardly tossed into bins on shelves) and located an Igniter Cylinder.

Joe inserted the Igniter into the slot on one of the control panels in [F3] and all of the panels in [F2] and [F3] came alive … a good sign. Joe initiated a startup systems check for the Building 3 Power Plant. Joe monitored the controls in [F3] as Mick monitored the main control in [F2] and Herbie scanned the side control in [F2] for any red lights or warning messages.

All systems seemed operational ... all that remained was to slowly POWER IT UP!
You are entirely welcome!
IMTU I use the high energy capacitor idea with Laser weapons, too. Rather than a heavy energy pack, at TL12 you could get laser weapons that use shell like cartridges loaded into magazines like bullets for projectile weapons. This makes Laser weapons less bulky, but more limited in number of shots. At TL14, you can buy "Blasters" (plasma weapon) that uses the same carts used by the lasers as a 6 round 4d6 pistol or as a 5d6 6 round rifle (uses 2 standard "carts" per shot), too. Over the years I've had a couple of players use them, but most stick to the standard slug pistols and rifles.
"Okay, everything looks good! Now, let's see if we can power this baby up..." Joe carefully increased the power, closely monitoring the system for any abnormalities as he does. He calls over his shoulder, "How's it look out there Mick?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#150 Post by Thumper »

"How's it look out there Mick?"
Hesitantly, Mick scans the panel’s indicators:
“Uh, Normal, I think. Ya, looks good.”

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by shaidar »

DJ

DJ gets on the comms, he sounds excited "Guys, I think I've found the problem, actually there were two problems. There was a critical component failure in building 5, then later a power surge in building 4 shutdown both the power systems. We are going to have to carefully bring up the power systems separately and check if they are OK, but I'm not an expert in those types of power systems. The part for building 5 should be in the stores here, but it's missing, so I hope the previous team already took it over the building 5, or there is another spare in their ATV outside."

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#152 Post by Thumper »

Mick over comms:
Ok DJ. What’s next? Joe, you want to stay here and monitor this power plant while Herbie and I go to Building 5? Your bloke’s call.

Uh, ya want Val to search the VET ATV’s stock?

With it getting dark out, Olivia, confirm you have the multi-spectral binoculars?
Last edited by Thumper on Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by shaidar »

DJ

Well, I know what I'm looking for so I should go to building 5 to try and find and fit it. While that's done someone who knows about power plants, Joe or Jim maybe, should try and work out what happened and fix 'em up. No point in bringing it all back online if the power surges again. "

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.1420 - Arctic Complex [Building 3]

#154 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.1420 - Arctic Complex

MICK, JOE & HERBIE: [Building 3]

The power plant slowly hummed back to life. For the first few minutes, readings bounced and fluctuated … It had not been a smooth, happy prior shut-down, so systems and settings registered their objections as internal diagnostics kicked in to readjust settings and stabilize the reaction. Soon the system was functioning and stable at nominal readings within the acceptable range … nothing to write home about, but Power Plant 3 was back up and running.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.1440 - Arctic Complex: Building 5

#155 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.1440 - Arctic Complex: Building 5

DJ, MICK, HERBIE, JIM & SOPHIE: [Building 5]

As DJ was heading out of Building 1, Sophie stopped to sniff the blood stain at the foot of the stair. DJ was shuffling (snowshoes) briskly towards Building 5, wanting to get started, when Sophie “hit” on a scent and wanted to head off towards the ATVs. Jim started to follow Sophie, but saw DJ was getting too far ahead and snatched her up and shuffled to catch up.

Jim (arriving at Building 5 where DJ and Mick were waiting as Herbie tunneled towards the door): “Sorry about that, but something caught Sophie’s attention and she wanted to chase after it.”

Like Building 2, the entrance to Building 5 was located on the ground, buried beneath the snow drifting against the SE quadrant of the buildings, and (after tunneling to the door), was a mechanical door to a powerless building. The arrangement of the foyer, stairs and elevator is identical between Building 2 and Building 5. A Mechanical skill check (MECH-0+, or JOT-0+) will be needed to locate the mechanical override and manually open the door at the top of the stair.

A backpack sits at a landing about half-way up the stairs [G1]. The pack contains V.E.T. lettering and an Identification Number. Inside the pack are a variety of COMM tools and a partial box of 12 mm handgun (pistol/revolver) ammo.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.1440 - Arctic Complex: Building 4

#156 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.1440 - Arctic Complex: Building 4

JOE: [Building 4]

Joe monitored the controls long enough to determine that everything was stable, then became bored. He started organizing the locker - sorting parts from manuals and stacking the manuals neatly - then was flipping through the manuals. Between the illustrations in the manuals and his unusual life experiences [JOT roll [8]+2 = 10], Joe had an epiphany. Building 3 powered Building 2 and Building 4 powered building 5 with an emergency crossover between the two systems. However, you had only restarted Building 3 and had no clue how (and if) the emergency crossover still worked, so they could now enter Building 2 if they wanted, but Building 5 would remain dark and locked until SOMEBODY got Building 4 restarted.

Joe checked the Building 3 controls one more time - everything was running just fine - and headed off to Building 4 to have a look. An observation … the mechanical door must have some sort of power assist. Once power was restored, the door to Building 3 opened and closed as easily as Building 1 had.

Snowshoeing to mid-ladder and wrestling the mechanical door open, Joe’s comm was blasted with static as soon as the door opened. Glancing inside, he saw an identical setup to Building 3 with minor differences … a hole in the power plant, a dark oily film covering every surface inside the glass containment room [F3], and a corpse slouched in a corner of the control room [F2]. Burns covered half the woman’s face.

Switching spectrums in his helmet, Joe could “see” the building flooded in lethal doses of radiation from the damaged reactor. A quick check and a long sigh of relief … the Vacc Suit would protect Joe for up to 400 hours at this level of exposure. Joe had no intention of being here that long and stepped outside. He closed the door behind him and saw radiation levels fall dramatically (the building was well shielded).

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#157 Post by Thumper »

Mick:
“Sorry about that, but something caught Sophie’s attention and she wanted to chase after it.”
Wait? I need to investigate that. Might be a snow burrowing rodent, but I should check that out. Can I borrow Sophie for a bit? Herbie, can ya bring your shovel?

He’d want to start at the blood stains…digging around the area unless Sophie takes him somewhere else. He’ll change his readied weapon to the St Outland Tri-barrel loaded with 000/HE/HE.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#158 Post by Eris »

shaidar wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 am DJ

DJ gets on the comms, he sounds excited "Guys, I think I've found the problem, actually there were two problems. There was a critical component failure in building 5, then later a power surge in building 4 shutdown both the power systems. We are going to have to carefully bring up the power systems separately and check if they are OK, but I'm not an expert in those types of power systems. The part for building 5 should be in the stores here, but it's missing, so I hope the previous team already took it over the building 5, or there is another spare in their ATV outside."
"I'm bringing the fusion plant back online, very cautiously, but won't feed power out to other buildings until we can isolate problems and fix them." Joe comms back.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#159 Post by Eris »

Thumper wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:23 pm Mick over comms:
Ok DJ. What’s next? Joe, you want to stay here and monitor this power plant while Herbie and I go to Building 5? Your bloke’s call.

Uh, ya want Val to search the VET ATV’s stock?

With it getting dark out, Olivia, confirm you have the multi-spectral binoculars?

"Yeah, I'll stay here and monitor the power plant." says Joe, "Close the door behind you and be careful out there!"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 2156.11.7.1440 - Arctic Complex: Building 4

#160 Post by Eris »

atpollard wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:41 pm 2156.11.7.1440 - Arctic Complex: Building 4

JOE: [Building 4]

Joe monitored the controls long enough to determine that everything was stable, then became bored. He started organizing the locker - sorting parts from manuals and stacking the manuals neatly - then was flipping through the manuals. Between the illustrations in the manuals and his unusual life experiences [JOT roll [8]+2 = 10], Joe had an epiphany. Building 3 powered Building 2 and Building 4 powered building 5 with an emergency crossover between the two systems. However, you had only restarted Building 3 and had no clue how (and if) the emergency crossover still worked, so they could now enter Building 2 if they wanted, but Building 5 would remain dark and locked until SOMEBODY got Building 4 restarted.
Joe immediately comms with this information, "The reactor in Building 3 is working and it could power everything if the crossover is still working, but who knows if it is. I'm heading for Building 4 to try to get that plant back online to power Building 5."
Snowshoeing to mid-ladder and wrestling the mechanical door open, Joe’s comm was blasted with static as soon as the door opened. Glancing inside, he saw an identical setup to Building 3 with minor differences … a hole in the power plant, a dark oily film covering every surface inside the glass containment room [F3], and a corpse slouched in a corner of the control room [F2]. Burns covered half the woman’s face.

Switching spectrums in his helmet, Joe could “see” the building flooded in lethal doses of radiation from the damaged reactor. A quick check and a long sigh of relief … the Vacc Suit would protect Joe for up to 400 hours at this level of exposure. Joe had no intention of being here that long and stepped outside. He closed the door behind him and saw radiation levels fall dramatically (the building was well shielded).

"Damn and hell!" Joe mutters and goes on the comm, "Folks we've got a body over here, a wreaked power plant and beau coo radiation! This power plant is beyond my help. We're going to have to get that emergency switchover working or we aren't going to get power to Building 5."

"The only other alternative I can think of would be to try to power Building 5 with the power plant in one of the ATV's, I don't know if that would work, but as a last resort we might have to try jury-rigging that up." Joe says adding, "DJ, you're got the spec sheets. Can you find anything about the emergency switchover circuit? I think that would be in Building 1, but it might be in Building 3."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”