MILLION CREDIT COMM JOB

atpollard
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: MILLION CREDIT COMM JOB

#121 Post by shaidar »

DJ

DJ looks a bit like a kid in a candy shop, with all the flashing lights and hardware.

"If you're happy that there is no immediate danger then I'm going to need some time to orientate myself to the setup here. Hopefully there is a main control panel somewhere that will give me general health status, from there I can interrogate the system to determine the exact problem."

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#122 Post by Thumper »

Did Sophia, Jim’s dog come in with us? Did she “hit” on anything?

Mick:
He’ll go out and observe Olivia’s vantage point and check comms all the way through the building with her. On the way back down, he’ll try to take more time and search a little more thoroughly.

DJ and Val, sounds like you want to get to work here. Jim, you’re good with a handgun and got a little tech knowledge. You want to stay and keep a security eye on them? I’m inclined to go explore and search the rest of the compound.

He’d discuss with any volunteering to go with him to search the other buildings then investigate the area around the blood stain. Security sweep of each building then a more investigative search on the way out. Olivia providing overwatch from the roof of Building 1.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 2156.11.7.1310 - Arctic Complex - Building 1

#123 Post by Eris »

atpollard wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:23 am 2156.11.7.1310 - Arctic Complex - Building 1

The main entrance was a purely mechanical door with a giant lever in the center of the door that rotated to unlock it. The handle itself appeared to be made of some advanced ceramic, probably to resist embattlement in extreme cold, and its length made it easy to grab while providing leverage for turning. As the lever turned, mechanical noises could be heard from inside the door until a loud lock announced that it would turn no more. Then simple force pulled the door open as ice popped off the giant hinges and it creaked open revealing its thickness and the mechanical restraining bolts mounted to its inner surface (currently withdrawn).

Mick stepped first through a short tunnel-like passage, followed by Herbie, DJ, Jim and Joe bringing up the rear. The interior was dark. As Mick cleared the short tunnel, he felt the floor change from solid to an open grate. It took about 30 seconds for the lights to slowly power up to full brightness and a warm breeze began to blow up through the metal grate of the floor. Joe closed the door behind him and turned the lever on the inside of the door. The mechanism must have been spring loaded or weighted in some manner because as soon as Joe got the lever past a quarter turn, it continued on its own fully seating the eight bolts around the perimeter of the door.

Everyone was gathered in some sort of airlock or vestibule [S2] and looking around, the entrance “tunnel” was clearly some sort of security scanner. The snow melted off of you and dripped through the grate as the warm air thoroughly dried you off. Directly ahead was a glass wall with sliding doors that led to some sort of office [S3] with a side door visible through the glass. To your right was a wall of fixed glass with a room full of “racks” of electronics beyond it. There were three tall lockers along the right wall of [S2]. For ten minutes, you searched in vain for anything that might open the glass doors to the office, but there were simply no controls in this room.
As soon as the group was inside and the door closed, Joe commed Olivia and Val, "We're inside. No problems so far. We are in what appears to be an airlock, or something like it, waiting for it to finish cycling."

OOC: Because those outside are all NPC's can we just say Joe keeps them updated at each step rather than my posting it each time?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by Eris »

Thumper wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:22 pm Did Sophia, Jim’s dog come in with us? Did she “hit” on anything?

Mick:
He’ll go out and observe Olivia’s vantage point and check comms all the way through the building with her. On the way back down, he’ll try to take more time and search a little more thoroughly.

DJ and Val, sounds like you want to get to work here. Jim, you’re good with a handgun and got a little tech knowledge. You want to stay and keep a security eye on them? I’m inclined to go explore and search the rest of the compound.

He’d discuss with any volunteering to go with him to search the other buildings then investigate the area around the blood stain. Security sweep of each building then a more investigative search on the way out. Olivia providing overwatch from the roof of Building 1.
"Herbie, that box you found. Didn't you say there were papers in it. Security codes, schematics, system specs, stuff like that?" Joe asks once the initial sweep is finished, "I think DJ and Val are going to want to see those."

"Oh, if there any papers that sort of looks like it might be codes, can we scan through them looking for that code we found. If we do then others on that page might be codes for things that we can't yet open." Joe says as he now pushes back his vacc suit's helmet to scratch his head.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.1326 - Arctic Complex - Building 1

#125 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.1326 - Arctic Complex - Building 1

OOC: Because those outside are all NPC's can we just say Joe keeps them updated at each step rather than my posting it each time?

(OOC: Yes, it makes sense that we can just ASSUME that moving forward Joe maintains COMM updates with external NPCs and that Val relays periodic updates to Bartholomew.)

OOC: Did Sophia, Jim’s dog come in with us? Did she “hit” on anything?
Sophia detection: roll = [8] = success
Jim never goes anywhere without his ‘social secretary’ and Sophia has strong natural predatory instincts that have been honed by her earlier neglect and need to fend for herself. While searching the complex, Sophie showed mild curiosity with the equipment racks and particularly enjoyed her ability to fit between and behind them to disappear, stalk and reappear throughout the rooms, but nothing particularly caught her attention … until you opened the door to [T2]. Suddenly, that room held Sophie’s interest in a way that no other room had.

Weapons drawn, a sweep of the room was performed … but the fine layer of undisturbed dust virtually guaranteed the room was as empty as it looked. Still Sophie darted in after the group and immediately focused on the tall, shallow wardrobe adjacent to the door. Opening the wardrobe revealed hooks on one side for clothing and the other half was split between cubicles on the top and drawers on the bottom, both appearing empty. Yet Sophie grew increasingly excited by one of the drawers. Pulling it half open - expecting a rodent of some sort - revealed … an empty drawer. Sophie yanked the drawer fully opened and became excited at her discovery. Shoved way-in-the-back of the drawer was a brown cloth bag labeled “Jerky”. Opening the bag revealed that it did, indeed, contain dried meat.

Mick handed the bag to Jim for Sophie. Nobody was prepared to fight Sophie’s claim to this prize.

DJ: "If you're happy that there is no immediate danger then I'm going to need some time to orientate myself to the setup here. Hopefully there is a main control panel somewhere that will give me general health status, from there I can interrogate the system to determine the exact problem."

(OOC: If I could get a hint at where DJ intends to start, I can begin describing what he finds at that location.)

Mick ‘s search plan:

(OOC: I will wait on feedback from Joe and Herbie to post the results of the Complex Search. In the meantime, a quick “point of clarification” … did Mick join Olivia via the “EMERGENCY EXIT” or via the [S2] “EXIT”?)
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by shaidar »

DJ

DJ considers what he has seen so far and decides that his best bet is to start in the room with the only obvious control panels that he noticed [T3] and see where that leads.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#127 Post by Thumper »

did Mick join Olivia via the “EMERGENCY EXIT” or via the [S2] “EXIT”?)
]

Fearing that turning on an alarm might make things uncomfortable for people until DJ gets control of the facility, Mick would have stepped outside via the Second floor.
Last edited by Thumper on Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#128 Post by Hvalreki »

Eris wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:48 pm
"Herbie, that box you found. Didn't you say there were papers in it. Security codes, schematics, system specs, stuff like that?" Joe asks once the initial sweep is finished, "I think DJ and Val are going to want to see those."

"Oh, if there any papers that sort of looks like it might be codes, can we scan through them looking for that code we found. If we do then others on that page might be codes for things that we can't yet open." Joe says as he now pushes back his vacc suit's helmet to scratch his head.
"Sure Joe! I have it right here!"

Beaming, Herbie unstraps the box they found in the ATV and hands it over to DJ and Olivia to look through.

"Mick, Joe, I'll come with you to search the rest of the compound while DJ, Olivia and Jim work here. I have just the thing for the next two buildings," he says, proudly holding up his now unfolded entrenching tool with a big smile on his face.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by shaidar »

DJ takes the box from Herbie.

"Thanks Herb, these'll come in handy for sure."

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#130 Post by Thumper »

Along with Joe and Herbie, Mick makes his way to Building 2.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.1340 - Arctic Complex

#131 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.1340 - Arctic Complex

DJ & JIM:

DJ broke examined [T3] more closely and found what appeared to be Status Displays, Routing Controls and Test Circuits. Comparing what he saw to the Technical Manuals quickly identified this as the Technical Control Facility (TCF), the primary location from which a “Supervising Technical Controller” can
  • Exercise technical coordination between external technical controls, maintenance elements and users.
  • Exercise technical direction, coordination and supervision at the super group, group and channel level, interface patch and test equipment, transmitter and receiver sites, and all directly connected user sites.
  • Reroute and redistribute disrupted circuits at all levels.
  • Perform quality control tests on all circuits passing through TCF.
  • Establish, activate/deactivate, rearrange and discontinue all circuits that enter and leave the station.
  • Report and record circuit status.
DJ had hit the jackpot … now if he could just make sense of the information overload at his fingertips.

The east wall contained three glass fronted “server racks” with cooling and exhaust vents feeding them with frigid air to chill the high-speed components. Cables ran out the back and top in color-coded chases stenciled with long alphanumeric codes and disappeared into the ceiling and floor. The actual “control panels” were located along the west wall with a large flat-panel display filling the upper half of the wall and a configurable touchscreen “keyboard” [GUI] in the center pedestal. To the right were the master patch and circuit controls for routing data channels, and to the left were the master test panel controls. The floor was some sort of anti-static tile that locked into place over a raised sub-floor (presumably containing wires to feed the panels from below). A special tool was required to remove a floor panel.

For a brief moment, DJ became concerned that the Server Racks might also be physically locked … but, no. The doors opened freely merely indicating that a door was open by illuminating inside the cabinet with a clearly visible red light.

MICK, JOE & HERBIE:

Sweeping the building on the way back to the entrance/exit [S2] was reassuringly uneventful. DJ and Jim were alone in the building and Olivia and those solid walls and doors would keep it that way.

As you stepped into the Security Tunnel at [S2] the glass doors to [S3] immediately closed and locked. As the handle turned and the door opened, the lights in the room changed to RED. Mick, Joe and Herbie stepped onto the platform [S1]. Joe kept watch, Mick turned to secure the hatch (which again self-sealed after a quarter turn) and Herbie was first down the stairs (anxious to put his shovel to use). The trio then did the “snowshoe shuffle” around Building 1 (for a perimeter sweep) and then around Building 2 (searching to locate the best approach to the buried entrance).

[OOC: Quick Check … before setting out into “unknown dangers”, EXACTLY which type of “Cold Weather Protection” is each person wearing and what “weapon” do you have in your hands?] … in the spoiler, I promised that there would be no need to shoot anything for the next hour … that hour is about up, so no promises past this point. ;)

[FYI: DJ’s Pump shotgun holds 5 rounds - (3” x 5 = 15” tube … fits an 18” or 24” barrel shotgun).]

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by shaidar »

DJ
atpollard wrote: Report and record circuit status.
DJ takes a deep breath and resists the urge to start investigating random pieces of server equipment.

"Start with the basics and work from there." he mutters to himself, quoting one of his old teachers.

He gathers together what he thinks are the relevant technical manuals and focuses on understanding the status reporting system.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#133 Post by Hvalreki »

Herbie is wearing the TL 10 All weather cold gear. At the moment he only carries the large medical kit, the adventure pack is still in the ATV.

He's wearing the following gear from the adventure pack,the inertial locator, currently synced to the ATV, on his wrist and the multi-spectrum binoculars are clipped to the outside of the medical pack. An emergency fire starting kit in his butt pack, along with half a dozen chem-lights and 2 flares. Under his balaklava he's wearing their comm gear.

As always, the headlamp is ready at a moments notice.

Arms:
Scoped Rifle, 8 magazines, currently slung across his back so his hands are free to dig.
Shot Pistol, HE loads
Bayonet, on the belt
E-Tool - unfolded and ready for digging
1 box of HE shells are in the medical pack.
If we're playing "food and water matter" Herbie would have a thermal camelback vest with a "no-freeze" drinking tube and TL 10 canteens keeping the water unfrozen. He'd bring a couple of high calorie combat rations in his butt pack hanging from his utility belt and keeps various cold temp friendly snacks in any available pockets.
Last edited by Hvalreki on Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#134 Post by Eris »

Joe has on his vacc suit, buttoned up, and everything active...this should include IR vision enhancements as I'd think that was standard in a vacc suit for work in dark space. He is armed with the heavy rifle that Mick recommended, he has one of the very heavy pistols in a holster at his waist. Each are loaded with HE shells. (I'm not a gun bunny and neither is Joe, so he and I will depend upon those who are to tell me what I'm actually carrying.)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.1350 - Arctic Complex

#135 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.1350 - Arctic Complex

MICK, JOE & HERBIE:

The entrance to Building 2 faced east. The deepest part of the snow drift seemed centered on the entrance to Building 2. The shortest path was a shaft straight down, but they settled on a steeply sloping tunnel. Some of the snow was wet and packed, some was a fine, granular powder and some was hard as stone ice. The “snow drift” was composed of thin layers of different types of snow all stacked one over the other like a sedimentary rock formation made of frozen water.

Herbie dug his tunnel to the door and even used the layers of hard snow to form wide packed steps in the bottom of the tunnel. The tunnel was narrow and low enough that it was necessary to stoop to pass through … efficient utility over comfort. Herbie hollowed out a cave-like chamber at the entrance to allow room to stand and afford the door room to swing.

The door and handle was identical to the main entrance to Building 1, however it turned with much greater difficulty. Two people had to work together to break the frozen handle loose and muscle the door open against the protesting screeches of ice and ceramic. The room inside was cold and dark.

Herbie immediately switched on his headlamp and scanned a small, dark vestibule [G1] with a door to your right [G3], an elevator straight ahead [G2] and a metal stairway leading up to the left. The doors to the elevator were open and the automatic door to [G3] didn’t respond when the control button was pressed (it did not appear to have a security code). No air circulated and there were no lights lit on the elevator and nothing happened when a button was pressed.

Hiking the stairs, it wound completely around the central elevator shaft and ended in a small landing facing a locked door. Again there was no sign of any power to this building. There was likely a mechanical override for the doors to force them open manually, however without any power or Air System functioning, the ozone contamination would spread through the building with you. At the moment, only the air in [G1] and [G2] was tainted.

DJ, JIM & SOPHIE:

DJ studied the panels, but the readings made no sense. Jim kept handing DJ manuals and looking up information. Books were scattered around the floor open to various pages.

Was the Master Panel broken? DJ wondered out loud. According to the readings …

EVERYTHING WAS BROKEN! There was no input signal from the receiver antenna. There was no data from the receiver building processing systems. There was no data from the transmitter building. There was no data from the transmitter antenna. … And no data meant NO DATA! No signals. No check systems. No backup systems. DJ assumed he must be reading the controls wrong, but he ran THREE diagnostics on the Master Control and the Systems Control Building and THOSE checks all came back exactly as expected - everything in Building 1 was functioning at 100%. It was like the rest of the complex didn’t exist … all of it. But this system had Primary cables and Secondary cables and Tertiary cables and UHF backup to the cables and VHF backup to the UHF. How could five levels of redundancy on seven different structures ALL FAIL TOGETHER?

Why was Building 1 operating at 100%? The answer was not going to be found running diagnostics. Somewhere, this system backed up a record of its data flow and system status. The answer to WHAT happened required locating the data for WHEN it happened and comparing the before and after.

Sophie just relished a strip of jerky and maintained a vigilant watch for intruders (who might try and steal her dried meat).

[Pausing to give groups a chance to talk, share notes and plan next moves ... what y'all do next is YOUR choice. I can't wait to see what y'all choose. :) ]

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#136 Post by Thumper »

Over comms, Mick reports to the rest of the crew:
Power's completely out in Building 2. Front door is manual, same as Building 1. Elevator dead, lights out, door at top of elevators requires power to access. We can scout out Building 3 until power gets restored; or, if you think it important enough, I can see if the elevator has a ceiling access door and try to access the main floor via the elevator shaft. Thoughts?

Herbie, you didn't chop a power cable did you? I think you might have known it if ya did.
Last edited by Thumper on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by shaidar »

DJ

Over comms

"No power? The systems here are showing nothing coming in from the other buildings, no power would account for that. Building 3 is the power for building 2. Until I have more info on the problem, it's best to leave building 2 alone and check out building 3, see if you can find out why there is no power. I'm going to see if I can find the logs on the system and work out what happened...I can think of no obvious technical reason for both power units going down at once so be careful."

DJ switches his focus to the system logging functionality to try and track down the point of failure.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#138 Post by Thumper »

Mick:
Alright. Let’s move on to Building 3 then?

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#139 Post by Eris »

Thumper wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:40 am Mick:
Alright. Let’s move on to Building 3 then?
Joe nods and says over his short range comm, "Right! On to Building 3. Oh, and DJ, I'm pretty sure we're going to need Security Codes to get anything done anywhere. If you run across a list of codes and what they're for let us know."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by shaidar »

DJ

Over comms: "Mr Frosty had a bunch of codes in that box he brought with him. Hopefully we'll find what we need in there."

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”