#25 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Thanks!

I see I haven’t fallen behind here yet. :lol:

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: B S (XII)

#26 Post by Monsieur Rose »

We were being respectful of your vacation, but if you're going to post rapidly, then...well, I'll probably post just as slowly as usual. :lol:

Go find a suitable location down there for the US Con while you wait. :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

You know…..It’s funny you should say that…… 8-)

https://www.aquabeachvilla.com/

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#28 Post by OGRE MAGE »

jemmus wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:33 pm He looks at the platinum coffer and wonders about the initials engraved on it: GWT. He says to the gnomes, By the way, who's Syd?
All players are welcome to do a Search to find information that was already posted.

Try it. It actually works most of the time.

I don’t expect everyone to remember everything that was ever mentioned, but I also don’t intend to routinely re-write stuff. (especially on vacation) :lol:

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Quonundrum »

This is basically what we've learned about Syd.
Grimble answers Andron, whispering as they advance into the unknown. "We met Syd the same way you met us. In the tavern. He needed help in finding this rock, so we joined up with him. He was genius when it came to anything related to the ethereal, and he was utterly convinced that this place was hiding something very special. He spent his life's work trying to crack this nut, and we took over that quest after he was gone."
Then he answers Feanol. "I can't say exactly, as magic was Syd's forte. But some of his spells worked differently in here, and others didnt work at all. And some of our magic items are wonky in here too. I can't say what yours will do. I guess we will have to all learn as we go."
The gnomes are so preoccupied with investigating this dark tunnel they barely hear Amun's question. "Oh, um, yes. We don't believe this rock is necessarily alive, though there is clearly some kind of strange magic at work here. The weirdness of this place is what's kept us coming back time after time. Syd was convinced there was something more to this ancient place, and he was usually right about almost everything."
Grimble and Grumble walk inside as well, answering Andron as they do. "SYD! Syd had been goading us about this place for so long, I have completely forgotten how he obtained his information in the first place. Good ol' Syd. Turns out he was right all along, and we almost stopped believing him about all of this."
Grimble answers Torbath honestly. "We could not actually see the treasure through scrying, probably because of those thick gold walls, but somehow Syd knew that it was here. He always had a knack for things like that. And, of course, he was right again."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#30 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jernau35 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:13 am Maag

"Oi Grimble!" Maag calls over. "If yer goin' to keep messin' wiv dat fing, do me a favor will yer?" He pulls a piece of charcoal from his beltpouch and tosses it to the gnome. "Write a big L an' R on yer arms, so when dey get blown off we know what shoulders to stick dem back into".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rex »

Jernau35 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:23 pm I don't know if it's best to discuss some ideas & tactics here, or in OOC but I'll start here:

1. Wes (and Tlachga) can cast Snare (or whatever it's called - loop of rope catches and traps a limb.) There are places to tie off the snares, we could place several around the cave and cave mouth to see if we can catch us a dragon!

2. Wes has Oil of Slipperiness. He can spread that around an area to increase the chance of the dragon sliding into a snare.

3. As mentioned before, we could build snowholes outside to hide in when the dragon comes out. Better still, dummy snowholes with badly covered trails in the snow leading to them. Then cast Pass Without Trace to move to other less obvious snowholes. Hopefully the dragon will waste time attacking the wrong places.

4. The drop under the bridge is about 50'. It's possible to get under it.

5. The Druids have Stone Shape. Would weakening the bridge do any good? Create hiding spots in the rockface? (I did have one crazy idea of somebody hiding above the cave mouth and kicking a Snare down as the dragon exits, see if we can get it in a noose. But nobody is that crazy or suicidally brave are they? COUGH!*Cresty*COUGH! ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Anybody else got anything?
All good ideas. Some comments.

1. Snare is a good one. No trees to tie it to so it would have to be the loose version of the spell. Also not sure what the dragons strength is but 23+ would effectively make the spell useless against it.
2. The dragon has to step into the snare, not sure sliding into it would work.
3. Hide is good. Both Druids can Pass without Trace on themselves at will.
4. see 5
5. If we could get the dragon under the bridge somehow and have it pre-weakened we could drop the bridge on it.
6. Faerie Fire, every little bit helps.
7. Barkskin, every little bit helps.
8. Call Lightning, this really is our best chance.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Jernau35 »

I checked with OM, there are rock columns in the cave we could use for Snares. The bridge is also only 10' wide, so a rope passed under the bridge would still have 30+' usable length. We could use Stone Shape to dig out anchor points if necessary.

Even a Str of 23 would still hold the dragon for an hour, so the odds are still in our favour I think. My thinking with the Oil was that it might make the dragon stumble and be more likely to hit a Snare, especially if we put several in a small area rather than just spread them randomly.

Unfortunately, druids can only pass through "overgrown areas " without leaving a trace. Which is a bummer :( So we're stuck with the spell.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel could also add two glyphs of warding for 10hp electrical damage each, or half if saved. Don't think she would be able to paralyze a dragon with one of those. But I don't know if diamond dust worth 2,000 go is necessary for the spell as described in the PHB :roll:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#34 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jernau35 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:23 pm But nobody is that crazy or suicidally brave are they? COUGH!*Cresty*COUGH! ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#35 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will let the team discuss here, as this is obviously a serious situation.

Once you have a plan figured out, let me know what you want to do and let’s see what happens.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Jernau35 »

kruk wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:55 pm How about Tlatchga begins the call lightning spell. Wes spreads oil of slipperiness just outside the cave entrance and the readies a snare. Cresty (when calll lightning casting time is complete, receives a signal and does his best to taunt the dragon to leave the cave. Cresty runs out the cave with the dragon in full pursuit (please leave a section not covered by the oil that the fighter can run through. The fighter would also need to know the location of the snare so that he can avoid that as well). Everyone attacks from their various locations with spells and missile weapons. Cresty, once the dragon slips and has be blasted by the call lighting and the slip and snare trap have been completed, will turn back and attack with the dragon slayer broadsword.
1. Wes is going to put a Snare just outside the cave mouth, anchored under the bridge. He might need someone's help to pass the ropes under and around. It automatically camouflages with the background.

2. I'm going to assume the OM will allow the Oil to cover a 10' area, so he'll spread that a short distance in front of the Snares.

3. The Glyphs sound good. Maybe cast one on the other side of the bridge. Cresty can stick to the other side of the bridge with the Snare (Wes will show him where it is).

4. Maybe instead of casting the other Glyph, cast Prayer instead? We'll definitely need the bonuses from that.

5. Wes is going to dig out a fake snow-hole to attract attention. Also a (hopefully) better hidden one.

6. Is anyone going to scout using the Silence/Pass without Trace combo?
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Rex »

I think we need both druids casting call lightning.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Karaunios »

One prayer and one glyph some 10 feet after the beginning of the bridge sounds ok?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cast Silence on The Princess so she can sneak in and deal with the prisoner. Also, if the Dragon does more than breathe and bite, she could silence it by hiding nearby.

kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#40 Post by kruk »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:25 pm Cast Silence on The Princess so she can sneak in and deal with the prisoner. Also, if the Dragon does more than breathe and bite, she could silence it by hiding nearby.

Lerrick cast silence on the Princess (see last Kruk last post). Scout away

and Cresty would have been all for the original plan. lol

Cresty could also sneak up on the beast if a silence spell is cast on him. He could stab it with the dragonslayer sword. Just a thought

Return to “Big Shiny Island (1E Sandbox, with real sand)”